PDA

View Full Version : Drinkin' Beer vs. Sippin' Beer

houghtam
05-31-2010, 01:52 AM
The other thread got me thinking.

Okay, so most everyone has it...one beer they drink en masse to get drunk on, and one beer that's their absolute favorite. Sometimes, they're one in the same. What are yours?

Mine?

Drinkin' beer: Rolling Rock

Sippin' beer: Franziskaner Dunkelweiss

OCBronco
05-31-2010, 03:11 AM
I can't resist a good IPA, Hefeweizen, White Ale, or Belgian Ale.

Some of my favorites: Lagunitas Maximus, Racer 5 IPA, Hoegaarden, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, Franziskaner Hefeweizen, Leffe, Maredsous, just about anything by Alesmith.

Rohirrim
05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
I like Budweiser.

azbroncfan
05-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Drinking beer Colorado koolaid Coors light

Sipping beer any Pale Ale like Sierra Nevada from local brewery.

I'll tell you after my week in Lake Powell starting on wednesday but for quanity usually a domestic light beer is best when you drink 15-20 a day.

elsid13
05-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Drinking beer Colorado koolaid Coors light

Sipping beer any Pale Ale like Sierra Nevada from local brewery.

I'll tell you after my week in Lake Powell starting on wednesday but for quanity usually a domestic light beer is best when you drink 15-20 a day.

if you have a chance pick up Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest. I am usually not a SN or American IPA kinda of guy, but this was homerun for them.

azbroncfan
05-31-2010, 08:35 AM
if you have a chance pick up Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest. I am usually SN or American IPA kinda of guy, but this was homerun for them.

I am in Chico quite a bit and go to the brewery so next time I am there I'll try it.

Baba Booey
05-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Bud Light to get ****ed up.

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat to enjoy.

WolfpackGuy
05-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Drinkin beer: Coors Light cans

Beer beer: Warsteiner

Majik
05-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Drinking Beer: Leinenkugel Red Lager or Honey Wheat

Sipping Beer: Bell's Hopslam or Guinness Draught

Soul-Bronco
05-31-2010, 10:26 AM
drinking beer : shipyard summer ale

sippin beer, terrapin wake and bake coffee oatmeal stout, avery "the beast", dogfish 120 etc etc . . . . . . i have the luxury to work for the micro brew distributor in south florida so i have tried so many, their is really another world out there of beers

elsid13
05-31-2010, 10:35 AM
drinking beer : shipyard summer ale

sippin beer, terrapin wake and bake coffee oatmeal stout, avery "the beast", dogfish 120 etc etc . . . . . . i have the luxury to work for the micro brew distributor in south florida so i have tried so many, their is really another world out there of beers

I don't think anyone could make the Beast a drinking beer. If you want a true sippin and hold your nose brew - Brewdog's Tokyo.

listopencil
05-31-2010, 11:00 AM
I am in Chico quite a bit and go to the brewery so next time I am there I'll try it.

Small world. I live about 45 minutes from Chico.

GoBroncos84
05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
My two favorite beers are local (utah). Wasatch white label (6%), and squatters hell's keep (7.75%). Drinking or sipping, they're great.

If I am trying to keep it affordable I drink bud light for drunkenness, or Heineken

Soul-Bronco
05-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't think anyone could make the Beast a drinking beer. If you want a true sippin and hold your nose brew - Brewdog's Tokyo.

yup, thats why its under the sippin section, after one of those beers your already nice and tipsy

broncocalijohn
05-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Getting **** faced: Coors Light
Enjoying a good beer and too damn expensive to slam (especially at a bar): Hoogarden (any belgium white ale) or Sam Adams.

gyldenlove
05-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Drinking beer: Ceres Royal (good for any occasion)

Sipping beer:
Caffreys ale (only draft and only in Britain or Ireland)
Paulaner Weisses Gold

Bronco Boy
05-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Ain't nothin like gettin messy on a 12 pack of High Life Light bottles and eating like 4 hot dogs.

Broncobiv
05-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Getting drunk at a BBQ or something: Coors Light or Miller Lite (the flavors are both so similar, it really doesn't matter...they're just standard crappy American light beers). I will only drink Bud Light if it's free and there's nothing else available.

Drinking to enjoy: My very favorite is New Belgium 1554. Some runner-ups include Left Hand Milk Stout, Lost Coast Great White, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, and good ol' Blue Moon.

http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/new-belgium-1554.gif

Mmmmmmmmm. I have a keg of it on tap at home right now.

Mediator12
05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
I do not drink to get drunk so I'll just go with the sipping variety.

My top 5 would be:

1. Wiehanstephan Hefewiessen
2. Chimay Blue Grand reserve Strong Dark Belgian
3. Maudite Belgian strong dark ale from Unibroue
4. Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
5. Three Floyds Dreadnaught American Double IPA

broncocalijohn
05-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Getting drunk at a BBQ or something: Coors Light or Miller Lite (the flavors are both so similar, it really doesn't matter...they're just standard crappy American light beers). I will only drink Bud Light if it's free and there's nothing else available.

Drinking to enjoy: My very favorite is New Belgium 1554. Some runner-ups include Left Hand Milk Stout, Lost Coast Great White, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, and good ol' Blue Moon.

Mmmmmmmmm. I have a keg of it on tap at home right now.

I went to the brewery when I was in Colorado for Orange Mane weekend 2009and my local, yocal cousin swears by this beer. Bought the $10 jug and took it to the Colorado State Football game. Lasted all pre game (well, almost). It looks like a thick Irish beer but it goes down surprisingly easy. Have not seen it in bottles out here in Cali. Maybe I need to go to AZ and drink a few with you. If anyone is going to OM weekend and want to hit New Belgium Brewery (Fat Tire beer too), I am always game.

Broncobiv
05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
I went to the brewery when I was in Colorado for Orange Mane weekend 2009and my local, yocal cousin swears by this beer. Bought the $10 jug and took it to the Colorado State Football game. Lasted all pre game (well, almost). It looks like a thick Irish beer but it goes down surprisingly easy. Have not seen it in bottles out here in Cali. Maybe I need to go to AZ and drink a few with you. If anyone is going to OM weekend and want to hit New Belgium Brewery (Fat Tire beer too), I am always game.

My kegerator is always available to fellow Broncos fans! :thumbs:

Add it's weird that you haven't seen bottles in CA. Go here:

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/finder

Type in Lake Forest, CA for your location (that's what it says on your OM profile there, anyway), and 1554 as what you're searching for (your folly). I found a bunch of locations that say they carry 1554. For example, the first one I clicked on was this place:

VILLAGE WINE & SPIRITS
24301 MUIRLANDS BLVD #C
LAKE FOREST, CA 92630-3627
(949) 455-0400

Hopefully that site works for you!

OCBronco
05-31-2010, 12:57 PM
My two favorite beers are local (utah). Wasatch white label (6%), and squatters hell's keep (7.75%). Drinking or sipping, they're great.

If I am trying to keep it affordable I drink bud light for drunkenness, or Heineken

Squatters makes some really fine beers. Had a few when I was in Salt Lake recently. Do you know if they sell in other states (or are allowed to)?

As far as chugging beer goes, I forgot Simpler Times: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/45308

If you live near a Trader Joe's, you know what I'm talking about. :)

GoBroncos84
05-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Squatters makes some really fine beers. Had a few when I was in Salt Lake recently. Do you know if they sell in other states (or are allowed to)?

As far as chugging beer goes, I forgot Simpler Times: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/45308

If you live near a Trader Joe's, you know what I'm talking about. :)

Squatters is my favorite brewery. I'd imagine they ship out of state. You could send them an email to find out, they are very accessible and friendly whenever ive had questions

www.squatters.com
www.utahbeers.com

Tombstone RJ
05-31-2010, 02:06 PM
The other thread got me thinking.

Okay, so most everyone has it...one beer they drink en masse to get drunk on, and one beer that's their absolute favorite. Sometimes, they're one in the same. What are yours?

Mine?

Drinkin' beer: Rolling Rock

Sippin' beer: Franziskaner Dunkelweiss

I really love Odell's 90 Shilling.

briane
05-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Saint Arnold's Texas Wheat. Hard to find, but worth the search!

I love it!

STBumpkin
05-31-2010, 07:12 PM
I brew my own, but Commercially:

Drinkin': Michelob Amberbock or Negro Modelo
Sippin': Anything by Mack & Jack (based in Seattle)

Borks147
05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
drinkin': Green Flash West Coast IPA
sippin': North Coast Old Rasputin

Que
06-01-2010, 08:47 AM
There is actually a great marketing story about this. Back in the 70's Miller used to market its beer (can't remember which one - think it was High Life) as the "Champagne of Beers". Their ads used to feature things like a couple dining on seafood, white linen tablecloth, candles and an ice bucket with a bottle of Miller beer (a la Champagne).

So along comes some study that showed that 20% of the beer drinkers out there drink 80% of the beer. Miller decided to do a focus group on the 20% of beer drinkers and what they found was both heartening and disheartening. First, they found that the 20% LOVED their product. Great taste, good quality etc... but there were two questions that troubled them:

1. Would you buy a six pack of Miller beer? A: Yes!
2. Would you buy a case of Miller beer? A: No. That's the Champagne of Beer. That's a for special occasions.

So exactly what they were trying to do with their marketing strategy right (sippin' beer)? But that didn't equate to sales because for big time sales you needed to be an everyday case of beer type beer (drinkin' beer).

Miller scrapped the Champagne of Beers strategy and spent the next five years rebranding itself into eventually..... It's Miller Time! The rest is history.

Of course what I find funny is the state of American Beer back in the 70's and 80's where Miller beer could be considered high end. But then again, not many alternatives....

For me:

drinkin' beer: Dale's IPA
sippin' beer: Old Chub (also known in my house as the "relationship beer" - you don't just drink it, you have a relationship with it)

Tombstone RJ
06-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Chugging Beer: Any that's cold
Sipping Beer: Any that's room temp, with the caveat the sipping beer is just wrong. One drinks beer. You sip whiskey, you occassionally slurp wine, but you drink beer.

Irish Stout
06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Odells for my money makes the best sippin' and drinkin' beers. However, outside of Odells, I will put a few Coors lights or Guinness back as they're both light beers. Real sippin beers will take my pallate to Great Divide (Claymore and Hercules) and Avery (any of the Holy Trinity). What can I say, I'm a homer! Doesn't hurt that CO has some of the best breweries in the world.

Que
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Doesn't hurt that CO has some of the best breweries in the world.

Quoted for truth!

Soul-Bronco
06-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Quoted for truth!

mmmmmmmm the old chub is great, have you ever had a gordon's or gubna?? both great beers!!

news also made it to my job that avery is going to be canning now. . . . . . can you imagine a reverend or maharaja in a can, wow!

Irish Stout
06-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Just signed up and figured I oughta share this with all the foodies and beer lovers in the Denver area:

http://www.denverburgerbattle.com/

Beer provided by Odell and Great Divide. $10 off if you become a facebook fan today.

C130Herkload
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
The sipper.
Orval trappist

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_e-YxtJRmw3s/SxKG5aIX0mI/AAAAAAAADfU/9CD-QDnqs0U/s1600/orval.jpg

The drinker upper: Budweiser Budvar

http://www.budejovickybudvar.sk/images/fotky/velke/budweiser-budvar-svetly-lezak.jpg