PDA

View Full Version : Mount Vernon

Chris
05-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm in DC this weekend visiting my drunk cousin and hopefully following suit. Has anyone ever been to Mount Vernon? Is it worth the drive? Also, smithsonian museum spaceships? Cool stuff?

I've done the mall and think the partying will be well covered. Don't tell my girlfriend. But what of the culture aspect?

Edit: can't edit the thread title.. Ah well.

HAT
05-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Mount Vernon is way cool. I went kicking & screaming with my ex a few years back. I didn't want to make the drive as we only had limited time in DC. It ended up being my favorite 'attraction'.

broncosteven
05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I haven't been to the Air & Space museum but I get the Smithsonian Air and Space mag and going to the museum with my kids is one of my life goals. I would recommend it if your there. Check out Yeagers X-1 and the NASA stuff!

BTW I think they have one of Gene's vests somewhere in the Smithsonian! That would be my highlight!

ElwayMD
05-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Mt. Vernon is very nice...I would recommend it, worth the price of admission.

Ray Finkle
05-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Mount Vernon is excellent but the Smithsonian is well worth the visit. Either Air and Space or Natural History are great ones.

You need some bars to hit, let me know.

Orange4Life
05-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Mount Vernon is cool. Its worth the drive. The Air and Space museum is bad ass if you're in to planes and rockets. I haven't been there since they built the huge addition but as a kid it was my favorite place to go in DC. I'm sure its even better now.

STBumpkin
05-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Any of the Smithsonian museums I've seen are awesome (Air & Space, Natural History, and American History). Holocaust Museum is a must see too, though somewhat depressing it's well worth it. I haven't been to Mt Vernon.

Archer81
05-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm in DC this weekend visiting my drunk cousin and hopefully following suit. Has anyone ever been to Mount Vernon? Is it worth the drive? Also, smithsonian museum spaceships? Cool stuff?

I've done the mall and think the partying will be well covered. Don't tell my girlfriend. But what of the culture aspect?

Mt Vernon is pretty awesome. Washington has a tomb there. Its a historical site, so that is what you should expect. Anything Smithsonian is awesome. Air & Space, Natural History, American History. Great complex.

:Broncos:

elsid13
05-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Mt. Vernon is OK. Hit the neweum, and American History and Ben's Chill Bowl. Don't forget the WWII memorial

meangene
05-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Went to Mount Vernon a few years back for a wine festival. Great place to go with a girlfriend, wife, etc. If you are partying single I would highly recommend "Good Guys" gentleman's club. :wiggle:

Ray Finkle
05-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Mt. Vernon is OK. Hit the neweum, and American History and Ben's Chill Bowl. Don't forget the WWII memorial

good nugget on Ben's....that place is dyno-MITE....

Spy Museum is worth seeing too.

gunns
05-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Never been there, but the Smithsonian is the #1 place I have a goal to visit. Plus all the other historical venue's, and the Vietnam memorial.

strafen
05-29-2010, 07:52 PM

Edit: can't edit the thread title.. Ah well.If you're there already, make the best of it.
You never know when another opportunity will present itself.
Go for it. I'd personally like to go and check them all out...

Garcia Bronco
05-29-2010, 08:03 PM

I think it's a fun tour. He ran that plantation and it taught him how to lead the people that built our country.

Archer81
05-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Never been there, but the Smithsonian is the #1 place I have a goal to visit. Plus all the other historical venue's, and the Vietnam memorial.

Tough memorial to go to...

Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, WWII, The National Mall, Am. History Museum, Natural History, Air & Space, Holocaust and Art Museums are all worth seeing. We lived at Quantico for 9 years, got to see DC alot. We never got to see the holocaust Museum, the last time we were there it had just opened and required tickets to get in. We did see the lobby. They have you go through one of those cattle cars...

:Broncos:

mhgaffney
05-29-2010, 10:23 PM
You can use the Metro subway to get around -- forget trying to park downtown.

DC traffic is some of the worst in the nation.

You can spend a week in the Smithsonian -- and not even begin to see it all. But it's fun to try.....

TheReverend
05-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Both cool but the Smithsonian is head-swimming-ly awesome

Chris
05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks a ton guys. Gonna watch the ceremony on the mall tonight.

elsid13
05-30-2010, 04:42 PM
You can use the Metro subway to get around -- forget trying to park downtown.

DC traffic is some of the worst in the nation.

You can spend a week in the Smithsonian -- and not even begin to see it all. But it's fun to try.....

You can not use the Metro to get to Mt Vernon.

elsid13
05-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Went to Mount Vernon a few years back for a wine festival. Great place to go with a girlfriend, wife, etc. If you are partying single I would highly recommend "Good Guys" gentleman's club. :wiggle:

If you like strippers with C-sections.

orinjkrush
05-30-2010, 06:20 PM
watch national treasure 2; then go see the sights.

it adds some drama

also then watch night at the museum before you go to air and space.

Ray Finkle
05-30-2010, 06:38 PM
If you like strippers with C-sections.

2 more words

ROAST BEEF......

broncosteven
05-30-2010, 08:18 PM
watch national treasure 2; then go see the sights.

it adds some drama

also then watch night at the museum before you go to air and space.

Night at the musem had Cliff Howard playing a MOCR dude, I am hoping it was a reprise of Sy Leibergot and not Gene because he was a dope for the 2 seconds he was on screen.

Chris
06-03-2010, 09:49 AM
So I went to Air and Space. I was a bit overwhelmed by how much stuff there was to see. One second I'm looking at the Spirit of St Louis and directly behind that is Chuck Yeagar's X-1. It's almost too much to take in. Many museums would have entire exhibits devoted to these things.

We saw Hubble 3D in IMAX 3D... it was cool but to be honest I think at a certain point every IMAX film about space becomes a bit redundant. Still, pretty to look at and my eyes only crossed once.

Lastly, I had food in the Native American museum. Everything was divided up into region (Northwest, Woodlands, Meso America, etc.). Delicious, healthy food. Unhealthy for your bank account.

The sun wears you out so that's all we did that day. Still lots to see in DC. Next time I want to do the American Museum, the Air and Space hangar and Mount Vernon.

RaiderH8r
06-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Newseum is sweet but very "dense" lotta stuff to check out. I got lost in the section where they have front pages of historic events over the years. Really cool stuff. Their section on 9/11 is really well done.

The Holocaust Museum is well worth it and very moving.

Often overlooked and an easy hit is Ford's Theater. They've got cool stuff like Lincoln's bloody pillow (morbid I know) and the shackles that led the guilty to the gallows.

Also important to remember, stand right, walk left, don't congregate at the turnstyles, stop gawking at the f'ing tunnel and get the f outta my way during rush hour. I know you're on vacation but I got s**t to do. :)

The food in the Native American museum is about all that is worthwhile in that one. The Air and Space museum at Dulles is the place to see that stuff. They moved all the cool crap out there and it is worth the drive.

The drive to Mt. Vernon is candy. Go down there about 10:30 AM and head home before 3 and you should be able to make the drive in 30 minutes each way. The GW Parkway is about the best piece of road you're going to find in the DC metro area.

Tonight Fear Factory plays at Jaxx in Springfield, VA (just a short trip down 395) and that's where you'll find this local.

Catch a game at Nats stadium if you like or perhaps soccer at RFK with DC United. If that's your bag.

Georgetown.

Chris
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Wait, you're going to go see Fear Factor? Will Joe Rogan be there?

RaiderH8r
06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Wait, you're going to go see Fear Factor? Will Joe Rogan be there?

You made me look to make sure I didn't typo. If Joe Rogan is there I will punch him in his ovaries and kick him in his vagina.

Chris
06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/mma/story_large/2009/07/31/joe_rogan.jpg

RaiderH8r
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/mma/story_large/2009/07/31/joe_rogan.jpg

Joe Rogan stole Joe Boo's rum.