PDA

View Full Version : do you consider john elway a gunslinger?

tsiguy96
05-28-2010, 09:43 PM
he was not on NFLN top 10 gunslingers. you think he was?

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 09:48 PM
No, I think he gets that vibe due to arm strength, but he was always very intelligent with the ball.

Archer81
05-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Early on, yes. The talent level on the team did not allow him to always make the smart throw. Later on as Denver put the pieces in place around him, he became a better QB.

:Broncos:

Vegas_Bronco
05-28-2010, 09:54 PM
http://www.gamersace.com/images/NES-System-Gun.jpg
We all were back then, right?

I use to have a wall poster of him in full cowboy gear with two footballs in the holsters where the six-shooters would have been. Stupid list anyway.

Jason in LA
05-28-2010, 10:52 PM
I guess it depends how you define a gunslinger. I've always thought of Elway as a gunslinger. When I think of a gunslinger I think of a guy who attacks down field. Not the dink and dunk passer. The passer who attacks 15 to 25 yards down field. A passer who attacks down field is taking chances.

Seeing that they didn't name him one, I'm wondering what everybody else's definition of a gunslinger is.

KipCorrington25
05-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I do, he worked outside the system he was given mostly to create plays in crunch time, not within the confines of the playbook, what else would he be?

SouthStndJunkie
05-28-2010, 11:03 PM
John Elway was most definitely a gunslinger.

That is a large reason why we became so enamored with him.

He became more polished and took less chances as he got older and his athletic skills diminished, but for a good portion of his career, he was the very definition of a gunslinger and it made for some very exciting football games.

Jason in LA
05-28-2010, 11:25 PM
John Elway was most definitely a gunslinger.

That is a large reason why we became so enamored with him.

He became more polished and took less chances as he got older and his athletic skills diminished, but for a good portion of his career, he was the very definition of a gunslinger and it made for some very exciting football games.

I'd say that he still took chances later in his career. He just had a lot of talent so all those chances paid off. He made it look easy.

SouthStndJunkie
05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd say that he still took chances later in his career. He just had a lot of talent so all those chances paid off. He made it look easy.

I'm not saying he still did not take chances, but he did become more polished and he did rely less on his rocket arm and his legs.

He did not have to take as many chances later in his career, which helped him out.

That is not a knock on him....it's a compliment. He evolved as a QB during his career, like he should have.

BigPlayShay
05-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Does the pope wear a funny hat?

Raidersbane
05-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Is a frogs ass water tight?

Play2win
05-29-2010, 02:04 AM
His name was The "DUKE", for God Sakes.

Play2win
05-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Elway was, at heart, still a gunslinger to the very end.

What about that 80+ yard Touchdown pass to Rod Smith in the Atlanta Superbowl?!?

He sure shot Eugene Robinson down, that is for sure :~ohyah!:

oubronco
05-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Gunslinger or not Elway was the best QB of all time hands down

Jason in LA
05-29-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm not saying he still did not take chances, but he did become more polished and he did rely less on his rocket arm and his legs.

He did not have to take as many chances later in his career, which helped him out.

That is not a knock on him....it's a compliment. He evolved as a QB during his career, like he should have.

Yes, I agree with that in general. But I'd say that he evolved into a better gunslinger, not into a system QB who doesn't sling the ball around. He got a much better system and players that allowed him to sling the ball around much greater with less chances of failure.

broncobum6162
05-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Funny this came up. I saw the same show and figured he would be in the top 5. But Sammy Baugh and Daryl Lamonica made it? By their definition he met all their qualifications except for the fact that he won 2 Super Bowls. Had he only won one like Brett Favre, he would probably made the list. I personally feel he should have made the list, he is the epitomy of the perfect gunslinger like Marino was. I consider Brett Favre a bad gunslinger.
I also feel that since he was a Denver Bronco that was also another strike against him.

B-Love
05-29-2010, 09:39 AM
NFL Network should be shut down for keeping Elway off of the Gunslinger and Most Mobile Lists.

It's hard to believe they included Orange Crush in the Top Linebackers list, and Upchurch in the Return Aces list, but excluded Elway from those two lists.

broncosteven
05-29-2010, 09:43 AM
NFL Network should be shut down for keeping Elway off of the Gunslinger and Most Mobile Lists.

It's hard to believe they included Orange Crush in the Top Linebackers list, and Upchurch in the Return Aces list, but excluded Elway from those two lists.

Didn't they have Marino in the most mobile list?

peacepipe
05-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Elway was & always was a gunslinger. Mike Shanahan reined him in some due to the system.

peacepipe
05-29-2010, 10:01 AM
A gunslinger is someone who is not dependent on the design of a play in order to make a play ala Tom Brady,Joe Montana, etc.. Someone who is not afraid to take a chance. Gunslingers offer high rewards,but as always the higher the reward the bigger the risk.
BTW, P. Manning is both intelligent & a gunslinger.

GoBroncos84
05-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Absolutely a gunslinger

Swedish Extrovert
05-29-2010, 10:12 PM
No, I think he gets that vibe due to arm strength, but he was always very intelligent with the ball.

Elway's career QB rating was 79.86.

Last year, Orton's was 86.8.

I'd say Elway was a gunslinger.

cabronco
05-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Sometimes he scrambled away from defenders on one side of the field, just to shoot bullets clear across to the other side of the field , to his wide open receivers, to commentators amazement. I'm pretty sure the play was not designed that way. I was amazed myself, he did it twice and looked like the ball was on a frozen rope, that got to the receiver in a hurry.

And No cutler couldnt do that, as it would get pick sixed mid flight. :~ohyah!:

The Moops
05-30-2010, 02:33 AM
I saw the tail end of that show and was pissed thinking he must have been in the 8-9-10 spot of gunslingers. Now that I know he wasn't even mentioned... that's ABSURD!

Elway is the epitome of gunslinger. Who says a gunslinger has to be stupid like Brett Favre and throw game-ending interceptions!?!

BroncoBuff
05-30-2010, 02:46 AM
He looked and acted more like a gunslinger than he actually was.

Early on he was something of a gunslinger I suppose ... but once Jim Fassel arrived, never again.

broncocalijohn
05-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Elway was, at heart, still a gunslinger to the very end.

What about that 80+ yard Touchdown pass to Rod Smith in the Atlanta Superbowl?!?

He sure shot Eugene Robinson down, that is for sure :~ohyah!:

Yes, but the ladies of the night sure didnt.

Elway was a gunslinger and should be in that top 10 list. Gunslinger is a dude that can zip a ball into tight coverage and the defense has no idea how it got to the receiver so fast. Just go back and look at the first 1st down at the end of the Championship game vs the Steelers. He told Sharpe to get to the first down marker and he would have the ball waiting. He threw so hard that they used a machine to simulate Elway's throws when doing receiving drills.

ZONA
05-30-2010, 09:51 PM
In my eyes, a Gunslinger was obviously a QB with a huge arm but also one that took risks trying to fit the ball into very small windows where most QB's don't try to. Obviously a Gunslinger will have more INT's then other QB's because of the types of throws he's willing to make but they usually also have alot of big plays also. But just as there are different levels of dink and dunkers, there are different levels of Gunslingers. Elway was one of the best ever.

He probably didn't make that list because they probably place a certain level of "fail" in there because most people think Gunslinger's are just wreckless big armed guys who didn't win alot.

Can you give us the list of the top 10?

ZONA
05-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes, but the ladies of the night sure didnt.

Elway was a gunslinger and should be in that top 10 list. Gunslinger is a dude that can zip a ball into tight coverage and the defense has no idea how it got to the receiver so fast. Just go back and look at the first 1st down at the end of the Championship game vs the Steelers. He told Sharpe to get to the first down marker and he would have the ball waiting. He threw so hard that they used a machine to simulate Elway's throws when doing receiving drills.

But, but...........Cutler has a stronger arm....................lolz :rofl:

Swedish Extrovert
05-30-2010, 10:31 PM
In my eyes, a Gunslinger was obviously a QB with a huge arm but also one that took risks trying to fit the ball into very small windows where most QB's don't try to. Obviously a Gunslinger will have more INT's then other QB's because of the types of throws he's willing to make but they usually also have alot of big plays also. But just as there are different levels of dink and dunkers, there are different levels of Gunslingers. Elway was one of the best ever.

He probably didn't make that list because they probably place a certain level of "fail" in there because most people think Gunslinger's are just wreckless big armed guys who didn't win alot.

Can you give us the list of the top 10?

So...

Best gunslinger ever = John Elway
Best dink-and-dunker ever = Tom Brady

I mean, Elway did throw a lot picks. But in terms in how much a quarterbacks presence made a team better - probably the best barometer by which to judge a QB - Elway was one of, if not the best.

TheReverend
05-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Elway's career QB rating was 79.86.

Last year, Orton's was 86.8.

I'd say Elway was a gunslinger.

That was back when defenses were allowed to play defense

azbroncfan
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Gunslinger-a high risk reward QB that takes a lot of chances and can make plays outside the design of the play. Can keep both teams in the game with the aggressive throws into tight coverage. Will usually have a lot of TD passes and INT's. Can win a game that they threw 4 ints in. Creates big plays on busted plays.

I would say Elway was a gunslinger.

Swedish Extrovert
05-30-2010, 11:33 PM
I still maintain that Elway threw a lot of picks... the post above me says it perfectly "can win a game that the threw 4 ints in. Creates big plays on busted plays."

Now, Elway was drafted two years before I was born, but I've been following the Broncos pretty closely since 1989 at age four. Seems to me like that definition fits Elway pretty well.