PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels Presser 5/27/10

montrose
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
* Good practice, productive week. Players will get the holiday weekend off.

* A lot of guys competing at the nickelback position. Jones is a veteran who learned the system quickly and works well with his teammates. Zo (Alphonso Smith) has definitly improved from last year and doing a great job in there. Carter and Thompson are competing and getting reps. Zo and Jones are batting hard, both have played early in each period. It's a position of depth this year.

* Stokley has a minor injury to his shoulder from hitting the ground, should be practicing soon. Bannan was excused.

* Lloyd is comfortable with this system, he missed this last year since he didn't sign until June. To start the offseason knowing the offense, he can be moved around and take advantage of his skills. He's responded really well, expect that to continue. He's a very talented player who can make plays down the field, made a lot of plays down the field. Good hands, great body control. Team is excited about him.

* This years rookies heads are spinning, You can't play your best because it's hard to go as fast as you can when your thinking. Knowshon, Lloyd and Eddie are examples of guys who don't have to deal with that now. Eddie is doing a lot of good things, being used in the slot a lot. A lot of those 2nd year players are coming on and you can tell the game has slowed for them.

* QBs set the pace for practice, they have to be able handle adversity and help their teammates through adversity as well. Hope all their QBs possess those traits and skills. Lots of things go into a great QB, on and off the field.

* No update on Westbrook.

* Atkins is a guy making the conversion from a hand-down DE to OLB. He has the size you look for. All those guys best traits will show in August because their all 255 and above and their physicality is key. He's learning to play there like Moss, Doom and Ayers did last year.

* Walton and Fry are mixing in and out at C. Every day is more comfortable for Walton, communicating with the guards and understanding the cadance. He's not afraid to take charge, he'll stand up and make sure everything's set before the ball is snapped which has a calming influence. Another guy whose best skills will show in August.

* Would be comfortable starting a rookie C if he's the best player.

* Beadles has had some bad plays as have all the rookies, also had some great plays. He, E.Olsen and Walton are responding well for playing in the offense first time.

* Harris doing well, hoping to see him back soon.

* Being careful with Thomas, Harris and Deck's foot injuries. Leaning on the side of caution with them, not going to push it. Rather those guys be ready for August, taking mental reps for now.

* Players wearing the pennies is to help players recognize different positions and eliminate errors they've had since the O or D will use their own backups for walkthroughs.

* Orton's definitly getting the most reps because he deserves to. Quinn goes in next, we've been flopping them all. The only thing consistent is Orton is in the 1st huddle. They need to get work with different players in the huddle.

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3848&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

Mr.Meanie
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Cool thanks for the writeup!

Really excited about Royal and Ayers this year.

Kaylore
05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for this Montrose. I wonder how many people are going to wring their hands about the rookies struggling with learning the new system a few weeks into OTA's...

crowebomber
05-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for this Montrose. I wonder how many people are going to wring their hands about the rookies struggling with learning the new system a few weeks into OTA's...

Hahaha! We should have a bet going on how early we'll hear the word "bust" on this board this season. I've been surprised that so many people were bashing Moreno after his rookie season. Seems like we all used to be a lot more patient and understood that some positions and players take some grooming to learn a system.

Kaylore
05-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Hahaha! We should have a bet going on how early we'll hear the word "bust" on this board this season. I've been surprised that so many people were bashing Moreno after his rookie season. Seems like we all used to be a lot more patient and understood that some positions and players take some grooming to learn a system.

We were spoiled by Clady and Royal.

tsiguy96
05-27-2010, 05:18 PM
cant wait to see walton play. a mean, nasty center whos taking charge as a rookie? call me sold.

oubronco
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
* Good practice, productive week. Players will get the holiday weekend off.

* A lot of guys competing at the nickelback position. Jones is a veteran who learned the system quickly and works well with his teammates. Zo (Alphonso Smith) has definitly improved from last year and doing a great job in there. Carter and Thompson are competing and getting reps. Zo and Jones are batting hard, both have played early in each period. It's a position of depth this year.

* Stokley has a minor injury to his shoulder from hitting the ground, should be practicing soon. Bannan was excused.

* Lloyd is comfortable with this system, he missed this last year since he didn't sign until June. To start the offseason knowing the offense, he can be moved around and take advantage of his skills. He's responded really well, expect that to continue. He's a very talented player who can make plays down the field, made a lot of plays down the field. Good hands, great body control. Team is excited about him.

* This years rookies heads are spinning, You can't play your best because it's hard to go as fast as you can when your thinking. Knowshon, Lloyd and Eddie are examples of guys who don't have to deal with that now. Eddie is doing a lot of good things, being used in the slot a lot. A lot of those 2nd year players are coming on and you can tell the game has slowed for them.

* QBs set the pace for practice, they have to be able handle adversity and help their teammates through adversity as well. Hope all their QBs possess those traits and skills. Lots of things go into a great QB, on and off the field.

* No update on Westbrook.

* Atkins is a guy making the conversion from a hand-down DE to OLB. He has the size you look for. All those guys best traits will show in August because their all 255 and above and their physicality is key. He's learning to play there like Moss, Doom and Ayers did last year.

* Walton and Fry are mixing in and out at C. Every day is more comfortable for Walton, communicating with the guards and understanding the cadance. He's not afraid to take charge, he'll stand up and make sure everything's set before the ball is snapped which has a calming influence. Another guy whose best skills will show in August.

* Would be comfortable starting a rookie C if he's the best player.

* Beadles has had some bad plays as have all the rookies, also had some great plays. He, E.Olsen and Walton are responding well for playing in the offense first time.

* Harris doing well, hoping to see him back soon.

* Being careful with Thomas, Harris and Deck's foot injuries. Leaning on the side of caution with them, not going to push it. Rather those guys be ready for August, taking mental reps for now.

* Players wearing the pennies is to help players recognize different positions and eliminate errors they've had since the O or D will use their own backups for walkthroughs.

* Orton's definitly getting the most reps because he deserves to. Quinn goes in next, we've been flopping them all. The only thing consistent is Orton is in the 1st huddle. They need to get work with different players in the huddle.

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3848&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

I was wondering why they didn't put him in the slot last year

Drek
05-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I was wondering why they didn't put him in the slot last year

Because in McDaniels offense its essential to have a speed guy pulling deep coverage to open up everything for the other two WRs.

Moss did that in New England and it worked great because, well, that is what Moss is. A deep threat WR. But last year our #1 WR was Marshall, and in order to tailor the offense to him we had to use our best deep threat to stretch defenses. That happened to be Royal since Stoke, Gaffney, etc. don't have elite deep speed.

I think its part of why we brought Lloyd in, but he took a while to get up to speed. I also believe it is far and away the #1 reason we drafted Thomas over Bryant in the draft this year. If we actually wanted to replace Marshall then Bryant was your guy. They both specialize in the 10-15 yard, fight through traffic and move the chains type of role. Thomas is a big, tall guy too, but he has elite speed and specialized on deep routes in college. His predecessor at GT, Calvin Johnson, also specialized in that same role there and translated very quickly to that same role for the Lions.

Between Thomas and Lloyd we now have some options for the field stretching WR other than Royal. We also will no longer tailor the offense around Marshall. Instead it looks like we've gone out and got the pieces needed to tailor the offense around Eddie's strengths, which would have him primarily playing out of the slot.

Short term its probably Royal in the slot, Gaffney in Marshall's old intermediate target role, and Lloyd replacing Royal as the deep threat. But long term we want Gaffney replaced by Decker and Lloyd by Thomas, respectively.

strafen
05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
I still believe Walton will be our starting center.
I just don't see anybody else I'd rather have starting at center...
That was a huge pick if he pans out, which I think he will...

I don't remember; did we or did we not have the chance to draft Pouncey before Walton?

bowtown
05-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I still believe Walton will be our starting center.
I just don't see anybody else I'd rather have starting at center...
That was a huge pick if he pans out, which I think he will...

I don't remember; did we or did we not have the chance to draft Pouncey before Walton?

Depends on what you mean by "had a chance." Yes we had a chance at #11. We also had a chance at #13. Then Pouncey went at #18, and we finally picked Thomas at #22.

strafen
05-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Depends on what you mean by "had a chance." Yes we had a chance at #11. We also had a chance at #13. Then Pouncey went at #18, and we finally picked Thomas at #22.Oh, ok.
I wasn't sure where Pouncey went. I thought for some reason he went on the 2nd round...

TheReverend
05-27-2010, 08:03 PM
We were spoiled by Clady and Royal.

^

Vegas_Bronco
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Anyone seen our D Thomas practice yet or anyone have an update on the foot?...anticipated return to the field?

Pseudofool
05-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Because in McDaniels offense its essential to have a speed guy pulling deep coverage to open up everything for the other two WRs.

Moss did that in New England and it worked great because, well, that is what Moss is. A deep threat WR. But last year our #1 WR was Marshall, and in order to tailor the offense to him we had to use our best deep threat to stretch defenses. That happened to be Royal since Stoke, Gaffney, etc. don't have elite deep speed.

I think its part of why we brought Lloyd in, but he took a while to get up to speed. I also believe it is far and away the #1 reason we drafted Thomas over Bryant in the draft this year. If we actually wanted to replace Marshall then Bryant was your guy. They both specialize in the 10-15 yard, fight through traffic and move the chains type of role. Thomas is a big, tall guy too, but he has elite speed and specialized on deep routes in college. His predecessor at GT, Calvin Johnson, also specialized in that same role there and translated very quickly to that same role for the Lions.

Between Thomas and Lloyd we now have some options for the field stretching WR other than Royal. We also will no longer tailor the offense around Marshall. Instead it looks like we've gone out and got the pieces needed to tailor the offense around Eddie's strengths, which would have him primarily playing out of the slot.

Short term its probably Royal in the slot, Gaffney in Marshall's old intermediate target role, and Lloyd replacing Royal as the deep threat. But long term we want Gaffney replaced by Decker and Lloyd by Thomas, respectively.Good take.:thumbsup:

Vegas_Bronco
05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
We haven't been a long ball team since the late 90's. I Don't ever expect to see too much of it in this offense untill we get an accurate long ball QB. I'd say Quinn has the best shot, but even then...he'll need 2-3 years practice with the same guy at WR.

strafen
05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
We haven't been a long ball team since the late 90's. I Don't ever expect to see too much of it in this offense untill we get an accurate long ball QB. I'd say Quinn has the best shot, but even then...he'll need 2-3 years practice with the same guy at WR.Well, not only accurate is the key word, but also a strong arm is paramount.
I do agree Quinn's got the goods. Brandstater also has a good arm, but not sure if he's going to get a serious look at this year.
Tebow will have every opportunity to show if he could start this year.
I believe if he shows some kind of mastery of the offense that he could be a strong candidate to start this year...

Hamrob
05-27-2010, 11:21 PM

Short term its probably Royal in the slot, Gaffney in Marshall's old intermediate target role, and Lloyd replacing Royal as the deep threat. But long term we want Gaffney replaced by Decker and Lloyd by Thomas, respectively.I like Thomas, but he is very similar to Marshall. He's a little faster maybe and a tad bit smaller...but, he's got similar talent. To say he's a deep threat or guy to stretch the fied isn't really true. We still need a speed guy on the othe side with a slot guy.

Although Rod Smith and Eddie Mac weren't the fastest WR's in the league!

They still dominated!

ZONA
05-28-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm so pumped we were able to draft Walton. I think this guys is going to be one hellofa Center for us.

Ziggy
05-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I like Thomas, but he is very similar to Marshall. He's a little faster maybe and a tad bit smaller...but, he's got similar talent. To say he's a deep threat or guy to stretch the fied isn't really true. We still need a speed guy on the othe side with a slot guy.

They still dominated!

I have no idea what Thomas's 40 time is, but watch the film. This guy can get separation and run away from guys. He's game day fast. I think he'll be able to strech the field.

ZONA
05-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I like Thomas, but he is very similar to Marshall. He's a little faster maybe and a tad bit smaller...but, he's got similar talent. To say he's a deep threat or guy to stretch the fied isn't really true. We still need a speed guy on the othe side with a slot guy.

They still dominated!

You just said it yourself, you don't need track speed to be a down the field threat. Actually, I think blocking is more important in being able to go down field then very fast WR's. A few extra seconds, almost any WR should be able to get seperation.

Florida_Bronco
05-28-2010, 01:14 AM

Please tell me you are joking.

Drek
05-28-2010, 06:33 AM

They still dominated!

1. The guy was running 4.3's before hurting his foot during combine training. Multiple sources have confirmed this, and his agent sent a video of it to all interested teams.

2. The role he played in Georgia Tech's offense focuses on him either being in on the QB option, running a reverse, or being a deep threat. That is the primary knock on him, the only NFL routes he knows are deep ones.

3. His self professed favorite route is the go.

Thomas is a lot more Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson than Brandon Marshall, Fitzgerald, or Boldin.

Like I said, if we wanted a guy to replace Marshall we would've drafted Dez. He was on the board and we passed to take Thomas. Decker is the guy we drafted long term to take over Marshall's intermediate routes, and with good reason. He's a better comp to Marshall (big, strong, great at catching away from the body, and he's very quick and agile despite not being very fast, all traits Marshall has). Thomas was the linchpin to putting Royal in the role best suited to him in this offense.

TheReverend
05-28-2010, 06:38 AM
1. The guy was running 4.3's before hurting his foot during combine training. Multiple sources have confirmed this, and his agent sent a video of it to all interested teams.

2. The role he played in Georgia Tech's offense focuses on him either being in on the QB option, running a reverse, or being a deep threat. That is the primary knock on him, the only NFL routes he knows are deep ones.

3. His self professed favorite route is the go.

Thomas is a lot more Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson than Brandon Marshall, Fitzgerald, or Boldin.

Like I said, if we wanted a guy to replace Marshall we would've drafted Dez. He was on the board and we passed to take Thomas. Decker is the guy we drafted long term to take over Marshall's intermediate routes, and with good reason. He's a better comp to Marshall (big, strong, great at catching away from the body, and he's very quick and agile despite not being very fast, all traits Marshall has). Thomas was the linchpin to putting Royal in the role best suited to him in this offense.

Calvin Johnson is actually a really good comparison due to speed, size and body control, imo, just without the polish.

tsiguy96
05-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Calvin Johnson is actually a really good comparison due to speed, size and body control, imo, just without the pollish.

ive wondered why more people dont make this comparison, hell they came from the same place. id much rather have a calvin than a brandon, hes probably the best WR playing in the NFL.

Drek
05-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Calvin Johnson is actually a really good comparison due to speed, size and body control, imo, just without the polish.

They also played the same role, in the same offense, at the same school.

But Calvin Johnson is the single best WR prospect in recent NFL history and once in the league immediately elevated himself to the top 5 at his position, so of course Thomas measures up a bit lacking before he's had a chance to play in the leauge.

It does speak well for Thomas' ability to learn though. Johnson did have a more diverse role at GT, but not by much. Both guys where very successful within the triple option system. Johnson almost immediately produced in the NFL.

I personally believe a lot of the polish/route running concerns on Thomas are tied to his foot injury, since teams where unable to work him out on a diverse series of routes. That made the label of "project" stick more than any real flaw visible on tape that needs correcting.

TheReverend
05-28-2010, 07:16 AM

But Calvin Johnson is the single best WR prospect in recent NFL history and once in the league immediately elevated himself to the top 5 at his position, so of course Thomas measures up a bit lacking before he's had a chance to play in the leauge.

It does speak well for Thomas' ability to learn though. Johnson did have a more diverse role at GT, but not by much. Both guys where very successful within the triple option system. Johnson almost immediately produced in the NFL.

I personally believe a lot of the polish/route running concerns on Thomas are tied to his foot injury, since teams where unable to work him out on a diverse series of routes. That made the label of "project" stick more than any real flaw visible on tape that needs correcting.

That may be so, and since the guy could consistently get open deep his college coaches would've been foolish to change that up, but the fact remains we don't have much evidence that he can get separation in short to intermediate routes as of yet. So if he can't polish those up FAST, he'll be vastly underutilized if Orton remains the starter unless the NFL decides to switch to Nerf balls.

bowtown
05-28-2010, 07:27 AM
That may be so, and since the guy could consistently get open deep his college coaches would've been foolish to change that up, but the fact remains we don't have much evidence that he can get separation in short to intermediate routes as of yet. So if he can't polish those up FAST, he'll be vastly underutilized if Orton remains the starter unless the NFL decides to switch to Nerf balls.

They should use them for the probowl, or maybe when we go to England. Those crazy Brits won't know the difference... too busy smoking their pipes and solving mysteries.

meangene
05-28-2010, 07:59 AM

I really don't think Orton ends up the starter. He is the incumbent and has the best grasp of the offense right now. McDaniels is doing the proper thing - he is at the top of the depth chart and getting the majority of the reps. But, watch as things progress. I see Quinn gradually closing the gap precisely because of his stronger arm. As he outperforms Orton, he will get more and more first team reps. And, because it is based on performance, there will be no locker room issues with the team. Thus far, Orton has not been impressive in the early OTA's while Quinn seems to be doing better from the reports I have seen. Then there is Tebow. In a short time he has surpassed Bradstater. As a rookie QB behind two more experienced players, his reps have been, appropriately, limited. I expect them to increase as he gains a better grasp of the offense and continues to perform well. This truly will be a competition based on performance in the preseason. Ultimately, I see it boiling down to a battle between Quinn and Tebow as training camp progresses. I think, ultimately, that is the hope anyway because of the elements both bring to the offense that Orton does not - mobility in the pocket and stronger downfield arm strength. Should be interesting as I expect the changes in the depth chart to be subtle through the preseason in order to insure no locker room issues.

Drek
05-28-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm not saying that there aren't questions about his route running, just that unlike a lot of knocks on players coming into the draft (Bradford's health, Mays' coverage skills, Tebow's throwing motion, etc.) there isn't footage to show you that Thomas can't run anything different.

It isn't a problem you need to fix, its a lack of utilization. He could pick them up surprisingly quickly or he could struggle, but there isn't a definitive problem that even needs fixing, just a lack of evidence to prove the contrary.

TheReverend
05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
I really don't think Orton ends up the starter. He is the incumbent and has the best grasp of the offense right now. McDaniels is doing the proper thing - he is at the top of the depth chart and getting the majority of the reps. But, watch as things progress. I see Quinn gradually closing the gap precisely because of his stronger arm. As he outperforms Orton, he will get more and more first team reps. And, because it is based on performance, there will be no locker room issues with the team. Thus far, Orton has not been impressive in the early OTA's while Quinn seems to be doing better from the reports I have seen. Then there is Tebow. In a short time he has surpassed Bradstater. As a rookie QB behind two more experienced players, his reps have been, appropriately, limited. I expect them to increase as he gains a better grasp of the offense and continues to perform well. This truly will be a competition based on performance in the preseason. Ultimately, I see it boiling down to a battle between Quinn and Tebow as training camp progresses. I think, ultimately, that is the hope anyway because of the elements both bring to the offense that Orton does not - mobility in the pocket and stronger downfield arm strength. Should be interesting as I expect the changes in the depth chart to be subtle through the preseason in order to insure no locker room issues.

Extremely likely scenario and it's where my money is.

gyldenlove
05-28-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not saying that there aren't questions about his route running, just that unlike a lot of knocks on players coming into the draft (Bradford's health, Mays' coverage skills, Tebow's throwing motion, etc.) there isn't footage to show you that Thomas can't run anything different.

It isn't a problem you need to fix, its a lack of utilization. He could pick them up surprisingly quickly or he could struggle, but there isn't a definitive problem that even needs fixing, just a lack of evidence to prove the contrary.

It is the same with Richard Quinns recieving abilities, we didn't know wether or not he could be a recieving TE because there was no evidence either way coming out of college, but his rookie season didn't exactly blow anyone away.

Drek
05-28-2010, 08:48 PM
It is the same with Richard Quinns recieving abilities, we didn't know wether or not he could be a recieving TE because there was no evidence either way coming out of college, but his rookie season didn't exactly blow anyone away.

If by same you mean "one is a subset of a much larger, intricate whole" then yeah, sure.

But in that same vein you'd also say a car that has ran fine but has some questions about the life of its transmission is equally likely to die on you as something you towed off a junkyard.

Cito Pelon
05-29-2010, 03:04 AM

Brady Q. has become the local media darling. I don't mean that in a bad way, just pointing it out. Seems like he's constantly available for lengthy radio interviews, gives detailed answers to each question, except if he's asked if he thinks he'll start. Then he says, "I'm not gonna answer that."

He's endearing himself to the radio guys. They gush about him, but that's how it always is with media guys. The player that gives good long interviews is the guy they pimp, the two go hand in hand.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this QB battle pans out, way too early to tell now.

Florida_Bronco
05-29-2010, 03:36 AM
Brady Q. has become the local media darling. I don't mean that in a bad way, just pointing it out. Seems like he's constantly available for lengthy radio interviews, gives detailed answers to each question, except if he's asked if he thinks he'll start. Then he says, "I'm not gonna answer that."

He's endearing himself to the radio guys. They gush about him, but that's how it always is with media guys. The player that gives good long interviews is the guy they pimp, the two go hand in hand.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this QB battle pans out, way too early to tell now.

I think there is a very realistic chance that Quinn beats out Tebow for the QBoTF role.

Talk about a nice problem to have eh? ;)

Cito Pelon
05-29-2010, 03:44 AM
I think there is a very realistic chance that Quinn beats out Tebow for the QBoTF role.

Well, yeah, it's nice to have some potential at QB. I don't know if Orton should be an afterthought at this point, though. Brady & Tebow have some proving to do. We'll see how it pans out when they really go at it in a couple months.

elsid13
05-29-2010, 04:53 AM

Thomas only played one year under Gailey and that offense. The last two season he played in triple option system that GT runs now. Thus is one of the reason he not as polished as Johnson coming out.

meangene
05-29-2010, 09:55 AM

Gonna be some interesting training camp battles at a number of spots:

Does Alphonso win the nickel corner job and start to look like a future starter?

Does McBath give Hill a battle to start at FS and how much playing time does he end up getting anyway even if he does not start?

How does the DL rotation shake out, particularly at NT? Is Baker ready to get significant reps?

How does the OL shake out? Are the young guys ready to be starters? Walton, Olsen, Beadles (if Harris isn't ready to go)?

When will the rookie WR's be ready? How soon do they challenge for playing time? Does Thomas move ahead of Lloyd?

Looking forward to training camp this year more than most!

TheReverend
05-29-2010, 11:19 AM

Does Alphonso win the nickel corner job and start to look like a future starter?

Does McBath give Hill a battle to start at FS and how much playing time does he end up getting anyway even if he does not start?

How does the DL rotation shake out, particularly at NT? Is Baker ready to get significant reps?

How does the OL shake out? Are the young guys ready to be starters? Walton, Olsen, Beadles (if Harris isn't ready to go)?

When will the rookie WR's be ready? How soon do they challenge for playing time? Does Thomas move ahead of Lloyd?

Kinda true... but we forget how many major storylines we've had recently.

Last year we had an entirely new team and shipped out Cutler. TC was extremely interesting for everyone of those reasons.

A couple years ago we were freaking out over starting a rookie LT and a player with a bum back and no playing experience at RT.

A year before that we had serious issues at WR and didn't know if some 4th round scrub from central florida could really play.

A year before that all eyes were on Plummer/Cutler

A year before that we just brought in the entire Browns DL

etc

EVERY year is extremely exciting.

Drek
05-29-2010, 12:15 PM
A year before that we had serious issues at WR and didn't know if some 4th round scrub from central florida could really play.

Hell, at this time of year questions on if he could play where running well behind questions of how firmly he'd planted himself in Shanahan's dog house, what with him missing significant practice with an injury and Shanahan not so subtly calling him out on it.

meangene
05-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Kinda true... but we forget how many major storylines we've had recently.

Last year we had an entirely new team and shipped out Cutler. TC was extremely interesting for everyone of those reasons.

A couple years ago we were freaking out over starting a rookie LT and a player with a bum back and no playing experience at RT.

A year before that all eyes were on Plummer/Cutler

A year before that we just brought in the entire Browns DL

etc

EVERY year is extremely exciting.

Very true. This year, however, I feel more positive about the direction of the team and the foundation we are building for the long term.

tsiguy96
05-29-2010, 12:29 PM

to answer one, mcbath will not take hill's spot this year.

meangene
05-29-2010, 12:50 PM
to answer one, mcbath will not take hill's spot this year.

I think he well could. Lombardi had a recent article in which he specifically mentioned how highly regarded McBath was by the organization. I think a lot may depend on how healthy he is. Honestly, I did not see a huge difference between the two last year.

Steve Sewell
05-29-2010, 01:11 PM
cant wait to see walton play. a mean, nasty center whos taking charge as a rookie? call me sold.

We scouted Proctor, so Walton is a bust.

Steve Sewell
05-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Calvin and Thomas played in two entirely different systems. Calvin Johnson played for Chan Gailey, and Thomas played for the option Navy guy for chrissakes (not going to even bother trying to spell his name).

tsiguy96
05-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I think he well could. Lombardi had a recent article in which he specifically mentioned how highly regarded McBath was by the organization. I think a lot may depend on how healthy he is. Honestly, I did not see a huge difference between the two last year.

not based on physical play, but based on what they bring to the defense. champ and dawkins referred to hill as the QB of the defense, cant just replace that with a 2nd year guy.

Steve Sewell
05-29-2010, 01:22 PM

LOL Quinn is like a slightly richer man's Rick Mirer. But come to think of it, at this point in their respective careers, Rick Mirer was far more successful than Quinn.

meangene
05-29-2010, 02:41 PM
not based on physical play, but based on what they bring to the defense. champ and dawkins referred to hill as the QB of the defense, cant just replace that with a 2nd year guy.

We have a very veteran secondary so I don't think that Hill's leadership is as critical as it might be. It's pretty clear McBath is being groomed as the heir apparent at FS. Question is will it be this year? Only time will tell. I certainly don't think it is a given that Hill starts over McBath this year.

BlaK-Argentina
05-29-2010, 03:12 PM
We have a very veteran secondary so I don't think that Hill's leadership is as critical as it might be. It's pretty clear McBath is being groomed as the heir apparent at FS. Question is will it be this year? Only time will tell. I certainly don't think it is a given that Hill starts over McBath this year.

Hill was extremely solid last year, I don't remember him being out of position and he saved at least 5 sure TDs if I remember correctly. He looked good but McBath showed some playmaking ability and pairing him up with Dawk might be great for him. In any case, we have great depth which is awfully nice to see.

Remember our safeties in 2008? Yikes.

meangene
05-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Hill was extremely solid last year, I don't remember him being out of position and he saved at least 5 sure TDs if I remember correctly. He looked good but McBath showed some playmaking ability and pairing him up with Dawk might be great for him. In any case, we have great depth which is awfully nice to see.

Remember our safeties in 2008? Yikes.

Are any of those guys from 2008 even still in the league? What a disaster!