PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New TV (Renamed)

Doggcow
05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
So my 57'' LCD Toshiba died and I had the Warranty on it, so I am getting my cash value back for my tv and turning it into a new LED I think.

I still have my 57'' LCD tv if anyone is interested in it also, one back panel is dead, but I'm sure if you're tech-y you could fix it (they didn't want to pay for the labor to replace it)

Anyone have a new LED yet? I'm not interested in 3D at all, as it just gives me a headache and is a new technology.

I am looking at Samsungs right now, but wondering if anyone knows about LG as they seem to review comparably.

What I'm looking at:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55c6300/4507-6482_7-34001696.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55c6500/4505-6482_7-34001691.html?tag=mncol;lst;3

RonDaChamp24
05-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I have a 55" LED Samsung TV. It's bad ass. Highly suggest getting one from Samsung. My friend has a 55" LED Sony with the same hertz and pixels and all that and my tv looks much better (His is awesome though). Definitely suggest the new Samsungs. They're sweet.

Doggcow
05-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a 55" LED Samsung TV. It's bad ass. Highly suggest getting one from Samsung. My friend has a 55" LED Sony with the same hertz and pixels and all that and my tv looks much better (His is awesome though). Definitely suggest the new Samsungs. They're sweet.

What model?

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Bump.

Anyone else doing any TV shopping recently? Thoughts ideas about LEDs vs LCDs?

Los Broncos
05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I just bought a new 47 inch LED LG, nice set.

The picture is insane, cant wait for football season.

RonDaChamp24
05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
What model?

8000 series.

orange crusher
05-28-2010, 01:16 PM
I've got a 46 inch Samsung LED. Picture is great.

Los Broncos
05-28-2010, 01:18 PM
But hey Dogcow, if you can spend the money go with Sharp.

Archer81
05-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Bump.

Anyone else doing any TV shopping recently? Thoughts ideas about LEDs vs LCDs?

I saw the Samsung LED's. Totally badass. Just a bit out of what I could afford.

:Broncos:

Broncoman13
05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I haven't looked at buying a new TV in nearly four years... why are Plasma sets so out of the picture now (pardon the pun).

I don't really understand it. I'm going to cry when my TV goes out. But, that has more to do with not being able to find the AmbiLight feature now. My 52" TV seems like a 96" screen b/c of the ambi castoff. I know it won't last forever but man I love my TV.

Anyhow, the response times on the Plasmas are so much faster than even the top line of LED/LCDs. 240Hz for the best LEDs vs 600Hz for the baseline Plasma. That means if you're playing Video Games or watching sporting events you have a lot less drag/blur/lag in the picture. I know people are concerned with the "half life" factor in Plasmas, but at 8000-10000 hours you are looking at 5 or 6 years. How many people don't buy a new TV every 5 or 6 years? And for roughly half the price of an LED.

I am probably just out of the loop and don't know the latest and greatest technology.

El Guapo
05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Plasma's aren't huge mainly due to marketing strategy. These big corps need new sounding stuff to sell every few years to keep consumers in the game. They're phasing them out, and thats sad. Plasma's are great.

Popcorn Sutton
05-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Just make sure you read up on motion blur because it is still there in the newer LED's. If you want the most life like motion for sports etc. I'd go with Plasma. However, there are Pros and Cons to both. If it's going to be in a bright room Plasma may be a bad fit. I have an LED Samsung 7100 and I've noticed several times the issues with motion blur. I tend to watch sports on my Plasma even though it's older technology.

You might want to spend a little time reading this forum:

http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-panel-tvs/102645-lcd-vs-plasma-who-rules.html

Forgot to mention, the thread I linked to is called LCD vs. Plasma but LED is addressed in it.

Florida_Bronco
05-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Plasma's aren't huge mainly due to marketing strategy. These big corps need new sounding stuff to sell every few years to keep consumers in the game. They're phasing them out, and thats sad. Plasma's are great.

Plasmas aren't being phased out.

Archer81
05-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Plasmas aren't being phased out.

I think it depends on the manufacturer. Some are, some are not.

Florida_Bronco
05-28-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it depends on the manufacturer. Some are, some are not.

Yeah, a couple manufactures got away from them but there are still many that are producing them.

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I was kind of interested in the LED due to size and weight. Also, Plasmas are big and heavy with reflective glass screens. I'm sure I can close the windows, and we do most viewing at night. I've never really noticed motion blur on my 120hz playing BFBC2 and COD, Gears, anything yet, every once in a while on sports but not so much...

I guess I should put Plasma's back into the mix? Especially due to falling prices.

Broncoman13
05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Just make sure you read up on motion blur because it is still there in the newer LED's. If you want the most life like motion for sports etc. I'd go with Plasma. However, there are Pros and Cons to both. If it's going to be in a bright room Plasma may be a bad fit. I have an LED Samsung 7100 and I've noticed several times the issues with motion blur. I tend to watch sports on my Plasma even though it's older technology.

Forgot to mention, the thread I linked to is called LCD vs. Plasma but LED is addressed in it.

From the opening post in the quoted forum... I agree 100% with the review.

LCD
Pros

lightweight, smaller screen sizes available, good in brightly lit rooms, considered safer when used as a computer monitor, non glare matte screens...Maybe slightly more energy efficient unless the majority of your viewing habits are movies, no break in period, take less consideration to set up and use.

Cons

Glare will still be a consideration if buying a high end LCD/LED as these also use glass screens to render better blacks and higher contrast ratios, cost more than larger Plasma esp the high end sets, more likely to be damaged as the plastic matte screens are not resistant to even small impacts, shorter life span backlight will eventually need to be replaced, Plasma will dim over time but will still be functioning long after the LCD is in the trash bid, viewing angles even with the new LED/LCD off axis viewing is still a large concern (fighting for that sweet spot directly in front of the screen), motion blur with fast moving images even with 240 hz processing is way behind the the speed of Plasma. Black level detail while LCD is getting better at producing black level the fine detail contained in these darker images is lost. Unnatural color processing in the non high end sets life like skin tones are nearly impossible to attain. 240 hz processing causes film to appear as though shot in video ( I can't imagine watching the "Godfather" and having it appear as if it is a soap opera)

PLASMA
Pros

Large screen size virtually no screens less than 42" in size. Deep black levels and fine dark area detail. Good natural color processing with great skin tone reproduction. Long time investment although plasma will dim over time it will take around 100,000 of use to get to half life of the panel. Durable heavy glass screens are much more injury proof than the LCD matte screens (Dont believe it? you can punch a hole in the LCD matte screen with your finger!) Virtually no motion blur image processing is approximatly 1000 times faster than LCD. Off axis viewing is a non issue with plasma ( no fighting for the sweet spot) Cost less a good 50" plasma will be cheaper than a 46" 1st tier manufactured LCD. Actually can be more energy efficient if properly calibrated.

Cons

Glass screens have glare issues in brightly lit rooms. Burn in plasma can still suffer from this problem, static images for long periods of time can be damaging (neglect from the consumer is the major contributing factor here) Weight heavier than the matte screen LCD because of the additional weight of the glass. Large size only available in 42" or larger (not good if space is a concern) Break-in period for proper aging of the plasma cells this is still strongly recommended during the first 200 hours of use. (some videophiles consider this a perk kinda like pampering your new "baby")

Well there you have it hope this highlights the good and bad points of each technology for current and future owners of HDTV

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 02:37 PM
What kind of Brands should I be looking at if I do look into plasma? It looks like Samsung makes a nice thin plasma as well.

Durango
05-28-2010, 03:19 PM
I've got a 46 inch Samsung LED. Picture is great.

This is mine as well and it's just the best television of any kind I've ever owned. I looked at a lot of t-v's, from plasma through the LCD's and LED made by Samsung IS the way to go.

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm dubious of people who already own a high end television.

We all know that we will say anything to justify a purchase especially one of this degree, hell, I justified purchasing 5 random pens I don't need today because they "glide over the paper" lol.

I think I will be taking my PS3 into the local stores, trying out games on them, and comparing and contrasting.

Btw, anyone know where to get an HD football video? To check refresh/blur, should I just rent/buy remember the titans or something? lol

Kaylore
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM

That's the conclusion I came to. My problem is why aren't more people making Plasma anymore? The technology is progressing and it continues to outperform LCD's with deeper colors, higher refresh rates. They have fixed most of the problems with heat and burn in with newer technologies. Yet many companies are abandoning them. Why?

Broncos4Life
05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I suggest LG. I have a 42". I got it at best buy for a killer price. Just over $800 this past Febuary. I usually don't make big purchases at Best Buy but the LG was discounted at over $100. TV looks beautiful on HD channels and Ps3 is sick.

Popcorn Sutton
05-28-2010, 03:41 PM
That's the conclusion I came to. My problem is why aren't more people making Plasma anymore? The technology is progressing and it continues to outperform LCD's with deeper colors, higher refresh rates. They have fixed most of the problems with heat and burn in with newer technologies. Yet many companies are abandoning them. Why?

One explanation from the thread I posted:

Manufacturers will want to sell you the newer technology and thinner designs for more "profit" than a technology that cost less and sells for less, even though plasma provides a better picture quality! LCDs were meant for bright rooms, do you expect a display designed for bright rooms to have excellent black levels while maintaining excellent shadow detail? It hasn't happened yet, then there's the motion blur they try to hide by using 120Hz-240Hz processing and interpolation giving you that "soap opera" effect! Plasma doesn't suffer from either problems mentioned above!

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
My biggest worry with Plasma is when I am watching the game we like to open the place up and light pours in.

If it's too reflective, it will suck.

Popcorn Sutton
05-28-2010, 03:59 PM
My biggest worry with Plasma is when I am watching the game we like to open the place up and light pours in.

Like I said, pros and cons to each of them. There are some new Panny Plasmas out with anti-reflective screens.

Broncoman13
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM

I don't think it is as much of an issue as you think. LCDs and LEDs are going to reflect light as well, maybe not as bad but enough to notice. I've watched many a football game on my Plasma in the daytime, in my living room which is well lit w/Windows.

My set is a Philips Ambilight. Have had it a little over four years (720p) and like I said before, I love it. At the time I considered the Samsung, LG, and Panny (which was the highest rated/reviewed). I think you'd be good with any of them.

Ray Finkle
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I have the 46' Sony....I love it.

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm actually getting woo'd by Panasonic right now, particularly their VT20/25 line of 3D tv's. I'll have to go see them in store however and compare.

http://www.avforums.com/product_specification/Panasonic-VT20-TX-P50VT20-VT20-3D-Plasma-Review.html

Jason7730
05-28-2010, 05:19 PM
I recently got a real good deal on a 58" Samsung Plasma and it's really awesome!! Can't wait for the first Bronco game!

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I recently got a real good deal on a 58" Samsung Plasma and it's really awesome!! Can't wait for the first Bronco game!

Ive been hearing lots of problems with Samsungs buzzing, do you hear any? Also, no model or anything doesn't help much.

Jason7730
05-28-2010, 06:34 PM
It's a model PN58B550 and I don't have any buzzing at all. It puts off more heat than my old samsung dlp tv, but other than that it has an amazing picture. BTW I got it for under 1500$..

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 06:43 PM
It's a model PN58B550 and I don't have any buzzing at all. It puts off more heat than my old samsung dlp tv, but other than that it has an amazing picture. BTW I got it for under 1500$..

If I go Plasma I'm probably going with Panasonic, about $150 more for deeper blacks, unless somewhere around here randomly has a Kuro.

Looks like the Panasonic VT20/25 are a solid place to start, since they throw 3D in since it is their flagship set.

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
This is the way I'm looking right now. I don't know if I want to go with LCD anymore as I have had problems, and really from what I read and can see Plasmas are better.

3D Plasmas
*Panasonic Viera TX-P50VT20E ~2100
- 3D, glasses about $150
- Best 2D picture too
- almost Kuro blacks (really good)
- More expensive due to quality.
Plasmas
*Panasonic Viera 58’’Model: V10 ~1799
- Great picture, safer bet than Samsungs
- Less reflective?
Samsung 58’’ Model: 860 ~1,300
- Affordable models
- Better picture than 550’s, but a little more $
Samsung PN58’’ A/B550 58’’ <1,000
- Affordable with size, and solid pictures

ZONA
05-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm actually getting woo'd by Panasonic right now, particularly their VT20/25 line of 3D tv's. I'll have to go see them in store however and compare.

http://www.avforums.com/product_specification/Panasonic-VT20-TX-P50VT20-VT20-3D-Plasma-Review.html

I'm glad 3D TV's are finally here. Another year or two of working out all the kinks and refining the technology, I'll be in the market to buy one. I'm hoping in a few years, that the NFL will also have games showing in 3DHD. That's going to be so damn cool if they do. Watching Broncos games in 3DHD with my THX sound.........oh yeah, I'm pumped for some of that action.

UberBroncoMan
05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Go with a 3D TV.

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm glad 3D TV's are finally here. Another year or two of working out all the kinks and refining the technology, I'll be in the market to buy one. I'm hoping in a few years, that the NFL will also have games showing in 3DHD. That's going to be so damn cool if they do. Watching Broncos games in 3DHD with my THX sound.........oh yeah, I'm pumped for some of that action.

Everything I have read and researched about 3D is that the only real "kinks" will be addressed by upgrades in the firmware, and if need be, you can always buy new glasses as well if they update those, but right now there are literally no problems except lack of content. Part of the reason I'm not really afraid of the "first gen" typical worry.

RonDaChamp24
05-28-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm dubious of people who already own a high end television.

We all know that we will say anything to justify a purchase especially one of this degree, hell, I justified purchasing 5 random pens I don't need today because they "glide over the paper" lol.

I think I will be taking my PS3 into the local stores, trying out games on them, and comparing and contrasting.

Btw, anyone know where to get an HD football video? To check refresh/blur, should I just rent/buy remember the titans or something? lol

I don't know if it helps at all but the 55" LED is my roommates tv (it's in the living room) an I didn't spend a dime on it. I have nothing to justify. I have a 48" LCD Samsung in my room an my roomate had a 48" LG in his. Samsung looks the best. The LED is super thin and light. Mounted on the wall with a soundbar underneath. Having a fight party at my house tomorrow for UFC 114 cuz all my friends like the LED tv better than their own.

Doggcow
05-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't know if it helps at all but the 55" LED is my roommates tv (it's in the living room) an I didn't spend a dime on it. I have nothing to justify. I have a 48" LCD Samsung in my room an my roomate had a 48" LG in his. Samsung looks the best. The LED is super thin and light. Mounted on the wall with a soundbar underneath. Having a fight party at my house tomorrow for UFC 114 cuz all my friends like the LED tv better than their own.

Not trying to be a downer as I haven't compared them yet in person, but every single review I have read reports "buzzing" (whether you hear it or not) and that the Plasma picture of the Kuro/VT25 or even the Samsung Plasmas crush the LED tech out now (still, and for less change). Also the side lighting bugs the living **** out of me. It is very apparent and I would never get over it, my eyes would consistently focus on that flaw.

Alas, I haven't gone into a store just yet, as I just completed my list and will be comparing price/picture/features/value in the next few weeks. But those super video-philes support all of my findings with their grayscale tests and all that techno stuff.

I spent 12 hours researching today...

Doggcow
05-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Just added the Panasonic G20/25s to my list too. In case anyone else is interested.

Great picture at ~1300 for 58'' I think

BroncoBuff
05-30-2010, 12:02 AM
I have a 55" LED Samsung TV. It's bad ass.
I'm sure it is "bad ass" ... but a 55" LED is cutting edge, and the premium you pay now is extreme. That set is $2500+ ... $2000 bare minimum. You can get a 52-inch Sharp AQUOS for just $899 ([URL]http://www.ednashworld.com/productdetail.asp?productid=4458). I can think of a few things I would do with the extra $1200 - $1500.

Sure, they say LEDs are brighter (I don't see it, but I suppose it's true). Problem is, I rarely see users properly set up the display settings on their TVs anyway. There is SO MUCH you can do about your displays... we just actually downloaded an upgrade for the 40" Bravia we have in the bedroom. DOWNLOADED it.

The other up-selling factor is refresh rate. The older 60hz is supposedly less crisp on the edges in fast moving action. The newer 120hz costs a ton more, though ... and again, I don't see it. We have a 46" Samsung 60hz and a 40" Sony 120hz... I swear there is no difference. And you save hundreds.

My advice is: Buy that $900 AQUOS, and save the $1200-1500. Then concentrate on video source quality, as well as picture settings :thumbs:

Doggcow
05-30-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm sure it is "bad ass" ... but a 55" LED is cutting edge, and the premium you pay now is extreme. That set is $2500+ ... $2000 bare minimum. You can get a 52-inch Sharp AQUOS for just $899 ([URL]http://www.ednashworld.com/productdetail.asp?productid=4458). I can think of a few things I would do with the extra $1200 - $1500.

Sure, they say LEDs are brighter (I don't see it, but I suppose it's true). Problem is, I rarely see users properly set up the display settings on their TVs anyway. There is SO MUCH you can do about your displays... we just actually downloaded an upgrade for the 40" Bravia we have in the bedroom. DOWNLOADED it.

The other up-selling factor is refresh rate. The older 60hz is supposedly less crisp on the edges in fast moving action. The newer 120hz costs a ton more, though ... and again, I don't see it. We have a 46" Samsung 60hz and a 40" Sony 120hz... I swear there is no difference. And you save hundreds.

My advice is: Buy that $900 AQUOS, and save the $1200-1500. Then concentrate on video source quality, as well as picture settings :thumbs:

Actually most LCD/LCD LED's come in 120 now or 240.

Also, I don't want a side lit LED due to the lighting glow from around the edge. I'd also prefer the deeper colors and way better blacks of Plasma.

There is no perfect TV. LEDs are NOT better than Plasma, and Plasma is NOT better than LED. It's just personal preference, and what you plan to do with your tv.

You will notice more motion blur with video games than you will with anything else, but I've seen it from time to time in football season for sure.

BroncoBuff
05-30-2010, 02:44 AM
I have the 46' Sony....I love it.

If it's a BRAVIA, do yourself a favor and go into: Setup, Eco, Light Sensor ... OFF!

You're welcome.

BroncoBuff
05-30-2010, 03:10 AM

True, didn't mean to infer anything else. My point was that if you can resist the up-sell of 120hz and its negligible value for substantial price increase, you can get a very good deal, VERY good.

Like that $899 Sharp AQUOS 52-incher. Awesome deal, if you can repress the "burn" to go 120.

Again, before spending an extra $1200+ friggin dollars, concentrate on video source quality and for heaven's sake learn your picture settings controls ...

I'll bet 80%+ of people who sit around and say "this is better than that" and on and on, and even buy, don't fully understand picture settings. Great example: A guy in my building was using the RGB connectors the cable company gave him with his LCD Hi-Def set for almost a year. Kicker? RGB connectors don't do Hi-Def. He never even noticed.

Some of the controls and info are quite complicated, but worth the time to master. If you do, your 52" 60hz $899 AQUOS will more than likely seem every bit the LED 120hz. For a lot LOT less. You can buy a Blue-Ray DVD player and pay for a mini-vacation with the difference.

BroncoBuff
05-30-2010, 03:15 AM

True, didn't mean to infer anything else. My point was that if you can resist the up-sell of 120hz and its negligible value for substantial price increase, you can get a very good deal, VERY good.

Like that $899 Sharp AQUOS 52-incher. Awesome deal, if you can repress the "burn" to go 120.

Again, before spending an extra $1200+ friggin dollars, concentrate on video source quality and for heaven's sake learn your picture settings controls ...

I'll bet 80%+ of people who sit around and say "this is better than that" and on and on, and even buy, don't fully understand picture settings. Great example: A guy in my building was using the RGB connectors the cable company gave him with his LCD Hi-Def set for almost a year. The kicker? RGB connectors don't even do Hi-Def, they can't. He never even noticed! In fact, he RAVED about the picture he was getting :~ohyah!:

Don't be him, learn the stuff ... some of it is quite complicated, but way worth the time to master. If you do, your 52" 60hz $899 AQUOS will probably seem every bit the LED 120hz. For a LOT less. You can buy a Blue-Ray DVD player and pay for a mini-vacation with the difference.

Broncoman13
05-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Next thing you have to be prepared for Dogg is the fact that they are about to bend you over (or try to) on cables. They'll get you to spend another $500 in cables if you're not properly prepared. Also surge protectors/power conditioners. Take a look on line before you go to the store. Seriously, you can get some top grade HDMI cables for about $10-15 on line. Order them now, at least one b/c you're going to want to see it as soon as you get your TV.

I can't remember the exact site I ordered mine from... something like bluejeans or jeans or something like that. But, you can save $100s by finding your cables on line rather than at an electronics store.

I found a great Monster Power Conditioner/Surge Protector on line for about $300 under retail. I think I have $150 for a $480 (at Best Buy) unit. Works like a champ and provides clean power and surge protection for up to 8 units... I have my TV, Receiver, Sat Rec., PS3, Sub, and Wii plugged into it. Never a problem.

Doggcow
05-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Next thing you have to be prepared for Dogg is the fact that they are about to bend you over (or try to) on cables. They'll get you to spend another $500 in cables if you're not properly prepared. Also surge protectors/power conditioners. Take a look on line before you go to the store. Seriously, you can get some top grade HDMI cables for about $10-15 on line. Order them now, at least one b/c you're going to want to see it as soon as you get your TV.

I can't remember the exact site I ordered mine from... something like bluejeans or jeans or something like that. But, you can save $100s by finding your cables on line rather than at an electronics store.

I found a great Monster Power Conditioner/Surge Protector on line for about $300 under retail. I think I have $150 for a $480 (at Best Buy) unit. Works like a champ and provides clean power and surge protection for up to 8 units... I have my TV, Receiver, Sat Rec., PS3, Sub, and Wii plugged into it. Never a problem.

I already have an HDTV and I know that Monster cables are the biggest ripoff/gimmick in the industry.

I got 15ft HDMI cables off ebay for $5, and they are every bit as good.

Florida_Bronco
05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Monoprice has good prices on HDMI cables.

Jesterhole
05-30-2010, 04:57 PM
I got the 55 inch Samsung LED 8000 series, and I am very happy with it. I game mostly, and it is beautiful.

Mediator12
05-30-2010, 06:26 PM
TV's are like computers. You buy the computer for what you want it to do. The Plasma's are what I need for motion control.

The new Samsung Plasma's are absolutely wonderful. I got a Samsung PN58C550 which is a 58" model back before March madness. It was $1400 on sale. As most people know, I break down hundreds of hours of film a year. So, motion is extremely important to me. This TV is perfect for that, it has much improved anti-glare and even has become energy star compliant since my old 50" Samsung that is now in my Bedroom.

The Anti-glare works even better than I thought, and I have never had an issue even on very bright days. For the money, it has been simply perfect for my needs.

Durango
05-30-2010, 08:19 PM
TV's are like computers. You buy the computer for what you want it to do. The Plasma's are what I need for motion control.

The new Samsung Plasma's are absolutely wonderful. I got a Samsung PN58C550 which is a 58" model back before March madness. It was $1400 on sale. As most people know, I break down hundreds of hours of film a year. So, motion is extremely important to me. This TV is perfect for that, it has much improved anti-glare and even has become energy star compliant since my old 50" Samsung that is now in my Bedroom.

The Anti-glare works even better than I thought, and I have never had an issue even on very bright days. For the money, it has been simply perfect for my needs.

I loved my plasma for the deep blacks and color contrasts. The problem I had was with the power consumption. Plasmas suck power off the charts. I know you can dial down the 'vitality', but then, using less power lessens the sharpness of the picture.

Popcorn Sutton
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Just added the Panasonic G20/25s to my list too. In case anyone else is interested.

Great picture at ~1300 for 58'' I think

This is the way I'd go right now if I was buying. I can't see droppping $2K on a first gen 3D set. Just me.

strafen
05-30-2010, 09:02 PM
I loved my plasma for the deep blacks and color contrasts. The problem I had was with the power consumption. Plasmas suck power off the charts. I know you can dial down the 'vitality', but then, using less power lessens the sharpness of the picture.Don't they generate a lot of heat also?

Drek
05-31-2010, 02:54 AM
What kind of Brands should I be looking at if I do look into plasma? It looks like Samsung makes a nice thin plasma as well.

The general brand breakdown you should follow with HDTVs is this:

Pioneer Plasma >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Panasonic Plasma >>>>>>>>>> Everything Else

Samsung LCD = Sony LCD >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.

Its seriously not even close. Those brands in their respective type of set destroy all competition.

Samsung is starting to make a better plasma, so props to them for that. But unfortunately Pioneer has pulled their hat out of the retail ring and is now just making sets for business use.

My recommendation: If you can find a Kuro buy it, they are by far the best sets ever made. Three or four year old Kuro are comparable to recent Plasma's by Panasonic or LCDs by Samsung/Sony. If that is not an option then decide based on usage. Will you have a PC hooked up to it for long stretches? If so you should go LCD because while burn in/IR is largely a thing of the past a static computer screen can get to most plasmas after a while. If you want it for gaming and/or watching sports though? Go plasma.

Of course, you'll want to invest in some heavy curtains to keep direct sources of light from causing glare, but it isn't as bad as you'd think with newer Panny's (and obviously the Kuro). They have anti-reflective coatings that makes them only marginally more reflective than an LCD.

And yes, plasmas do get warm and radiate heat. Nothing real bad, but you'll notice it if you have a long day of gaming or something and then walk by close to the set. Adjust your thermostat accordingly.

Broncoman13
05-31-2010, 05:38 AM
The general brand breakdown you should follow with HDTVs is this:

Pioneer Plasma >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Panasonic Plasma >>>>>>>>>> Everything Else

Samsung LCD = Sony LCD >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.

Its seriously not even close. Those brands in their respective type of set destroy all competition.

Samsung is starting to make a better plasma, so props to them for that. But unfortunately Pioneer has pulled their hat out of the retail ring and is now just making sets for business use.

My recommendation: If you can find a Kuro buy it, they are by far the best sets ever made. Three or four year old Kuro are comparable to recent Plasma's by Panasonic or LCDs by Samsung/Sony. If that is not an option then decide based on usage. Will you have a PC hooked up to it for long stretches? If so you should go LCD because while burn in/IR is largely a thing of the past a static computer screen can get to most plasmas after a while. If you want it for gaming and/or watching sports though? Go plasma.

Of course, you'll want to invest in some heavy curtains to keep direct sources of light from causing glare, but it isn't as bad as you'd think with newer Panny's (and obviously the Kuro). They have anti-reflective coatings that makes them only marginally more reflective than an LCD.

And yes, plasmas do get warm and radiate heat. Nothing real bad, but you'll notice it if you have a long day of gaming or something and then walk by close to the set. Adjust your thermostat accordingly.

Are the Pioneer Kuros better than the Pioneer Elite series or are they the same thing? I've seen the Elite series in the stores, usually the ones that are set up by themselves looking 10x sharper than anything else.

Doggcow
06-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I went with the G25. Just got this baby home and unboxed.

I think I read the wrong price, because they were definitely higher than what I expected (think I must have written down a G10 price).

So far, this thing is epic. I haven't started messing with the settings, I just threw it in THX and it is pretty damn fantastic to start.

I got A 50" G25 for $1660 (out the door, tax included) with a 5 year warranty.

It does have a TINY buzz, but nothing near what people are talking about. I can only hear it when the room is silent, outside is silent and there is no sound playing. E.g. It's irrelevant.

The TV is extremely well built. It is comparable to Kuro technology (yes, not perfect, but I also didn't drop $3500 for it 4 years ago). Most Kuro's now, likely have higher black levels than mine does anyway. The blacks are exquisite, I could not ask for anything deeper, personally.

I have been playing Xbox, and watched Iron Man, and I can tell you, I do not miss the blur from an LCD, thats for sure.

The panel seems like it may be reflective, but even in a completely lit room, it is unnoticable. In the store (part of what sold me) they had one set up in front of their window bank, with light pouring in, no reflection.

Vieracast is awesome. More than enough inputs, it also came with a free $250 skype webcam, so thats cool.

Also, it is extremely well built. No flimsy or ugly base, very nice metal one, and the frame looks classy.

Will post more later. So far though, I couldnt be more pleased with my purchase.

Doggcow
06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Are the Pioneer Kuros better than the Pioneer Elite series or are they the same thing? I've seen the Elite series in the stores, usually the ones that are set up by themselves looking 10x sharper than anything else.

In all honesty, Kuros are now sold to picky people, the G25 I just got is comparable, and in many aspects better, other than black level. Which, once they're down that low (where the G25 is) who really cares?

Save yourself 2 to 3 grand and go with a Panasonic G25 or VT25.

Panasonic ate up all the Pioneer engineers, so I'm sure we will be seeing Kuro level blacks again here in a year. If you can wait on buying, and want top tier, I'd wait till next year's Panasonic Plasmas came out.

Doggcow
06-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh, my one MINOR complaint: Along the edge of the screen is a strip that isn't viewable (like an 1/8" on each side). I just wish they had made the plastic a little wider to cover it. But honestly, I haven't noticed it when actually watching anything.

Doggcow
06-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Just got HDTV hooked up today. Planning on watching Book of Eli tonight :)

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM

Mila Kunis in HD = pure win

Los Broncos
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Great movie.

Kaylore
06-17-2010, 07:47 AM
If you all could post where you're getting these TV's at a discount, that would be helpful. I'm curious where you guys are finding 50"+ plasmas for less than 1300 including a warranty.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
If you all could post where you're getting these TV's at a discount, that would be helpful. I'm curious where you guys are finding 50"+ plasmas for less than 1300 including a warranty.

Pauls TV baby.

You can get a 1080P 65" Panny Plasma right now for $2,000 (regular price is over $3,000) before the extended warranty at Paul's TV.

They have a 50" 1080P Panny Plasma for $987.

http://www.paulstv.com/ad_massachusetts.asp

They have a 50" samsung 720P model for $700.

http://www.paulstv.com/Plasma-Televisions/Samsung-PN50C450.asp