PDA

View Full Version : OT: Browsers - Troubles with Google Chrome?

BroncoBuff
05-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I definitely love Chrome ... several uniques features that make my personal browsing style easier.

But there are still strange problems with it.

Anybody having this weird problem: When trying to access Google Mail, occasionally it will fail, and say "try a supported browser instead."

Google Mail doesn't support Google Chrome? WTF?!

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/517/20783262.jpg

Second problem is when watching a YouTube or other video full screen, Chrome often generates/causes Flash errors, which freezes the display at full screen, but disables the on screen video controls and escape key. I am forced to click the Windows key to pull up the start menu and taskbar, where I can click on the tab to restore/minimize.

These problems have become very frustrating ... I love Chrome, but I'm wavering now.

Anybody having these problems ... any solutions?

broncosteven
05-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Anybody having these problems ... any solutions?

Use IE.

Sir_Robin
05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I definitely love Chrome ...Anybody having these problems ... any solutions?

What version are you using? Gmail lists some known problems with Chrome 4. I'm using 5 and haven't had any problems with it.

Use IE.

I threw up in my mouth. A little.

sisterhellfyre
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I definitely love Chrome ... several uniques features that make my personal browsing style easier.

But there are still strange problems with it.

I agree, Buff: I've liked Chrome since the first version was released, but it's still buggy at times. It seems like the buggy and stable versions alternate: first we get a bad one, then we get a good one that fixes the bad one, and then... and so on.

I haven't noticed the media problems you mentioned, but I've had problems with Chrome on opening PDF files. I can download and save them just fine, but if I try to open them online the entire browser freezes up. I can close it from the Windows taskbar, so at least I don't have to get into the Task Manager, but it sometimes leaves messy graphic orphans on my desktop.

(I'm especially curious to see what Firefox 4 will have to offer when it comes out. Last I heard they were aiming for a release date next spring, and borrowing or cross-pollinating or stealing a bunch of interface ideas from Chrome. Should be interesting.)

Dagmar
05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
use ie.

rofl!

sisterhellfyre
05-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Use IE.

Heh. Thanks, but no. I use IE only when it's absolutely forced on me. I have to go shower afterwards cuz I feel so... dirty.

Rock Chalk
05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Safari 4.0 > Opera > IE 8 > Firefox > Chrome.

Firefox is the second worst browser out there. Chrome is the biggest POS on the planet.

sisterhellfyre
05-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Firefox is the second worst browser out there. Chrome is the biggest POS on the planet.

Sheesh. Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning, Rock?

jhns
05-27-2010, 02:19 PM
IE is the best browser because it supports a lot more than any other browser. It is other browsers that make programming a website complicated.

Kaylore
05-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Jhiz even likes IE. Is there no end to his suckage?

Chrome runs weird for me. Animated gifs run at a weird speed and it bugs out. I can't do chrome.

jhns
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Jhiz even likes IE. Is there no end to his suckage?

I have no need to pass on a browser simply because it is a big name and I want to be special. I am above that kind of thing.

No other browser comes close to being able to do what IE does.

BroncoBuff
05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
What version are you using? Gmail lists some known problems with Chrome 4. I'm using 5 and haven't had any problems with it.
Oh. I have v4.1.29. Oops.

Thanks ;D

I threw up in my mouth. A little.
I agree. Internet Explorer was so much the core of all Microsoft's anti-trust violations ... their predatory practices implemented to drive Netscape (a very innovative company) out of business were both successful and nauseating. Netscape did everything they could from Day 1 - according to pretty good sources of mine - to work together with Microsoft. Gates didn't care ... he forced them to spend millions on attorneys, Microsoft lost the case, but Netscape was shuttered anyway because the time that passed pre-trial cemented ie further into consumers' attention and habits. It just seems to me you should use ANY other browser.

I think Steve might be joshin' us there.

Dagmar
05-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Oh lord Chrome is doubling your posts!

Popps
05-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Use IE.

I assume that's for teh lulz.

BroncoBuff
05-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh lord Chrome is doubling your posts!
No ... just my OCD about that stupid line "Last edited by BroncoBuff; 05-27-2010 at 11:53 PM..."

Now your post jumped mine, so I have to live with that little line.

You bastard ... if I don't sleep tonight, THAT'S ON YOU!

strafen
05-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Use IE.Same here. No issues...

Dagmar
05-27-2010, 10:02 PM
No ... just my OCD about that stupid line "Last edited by BroncoBuff; 05-27-2010 at 11:53 PM..."

Now your post jumped mine, so I have to live with that little line.

You bastard ... if I don't sleep tonight, THAT'S ON YOU!

Just think about me, that'll send you off to a beautiful slumber.

BroncoBuff
05-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Alec's least favorite browser is the one I like most. Shocking.

Gosh, I wonder what he would've said had he posted before me? :~ohyah!:

IE is the best browser because it supports a lot more than any other browser. It is other browsers that make programming a website complicated.I'm sure you're right jhns about that, but I'm not a programmer, I like certain of the features. A lot. I came last from Safari, and Firefox before that. For me anyway, Chrome is better. It;s just me, like I said off the top, Chrome has several unique features that make "my personal browsing style" easier.

I gotta crash now ... Dagmar's meddling with my mental health has really put me behind the 8-ball on tonight's sleep cycle ... but tomorrow I'll post some examples of why myself and probably why sisterhellfyre like it. Some are pretty cool, you'll like them. For example, look at the icons in the horizontal toolbar on top ... just click 'em. I love that (the 3rd icon is OrangeMane .. sheesh Taco, maybe splurge on an orange icon?)

Keep an open mind.

Popps
05-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Safari is the best... except for when it's not, in which case keep Firefox handy.

Safari definitely seems fastest, to me.

jhns
05-28-2010, 06:23 AM
I'm sure you're right jhns about that, but I'm not a programmer, I like certain of the features. A lot. I came last from Safari, and Firefox before that. For me anyway, Chrome is better. It;s just me, like I said off the top, Chrome has several unique features that make "my personal browsing style" easier.

I'm just saying all of the features I see in that screen shot are also in IE. That toolbar is just a favorites toolbar. You can set that in the options of IE. You can even make it display exactly like the one shown there. Here is one way of doing it:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/internet-explorer-tips/display-links-toolbar-as-icons-only-ie-8/

Really the new IE is great. They stole the few things other browsers had, like tabs, and made a great product. I would love to hear a breakdown from people of why they like these other browsers better. Every time I have had this conversation with someone, it has turned into others just not wanting to use the popular tool. It isn't cool to use something that the majority use. I'm not saying this is your reasoning, just that it is what I have heard from people I know.

loborugger
05-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Sheesh. Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning, Rock?

Its an ever revolving door. Poor little guy wears his feelings on his sleeve just waiting for someone to give him a reason to have a case of the ass.

BroncoBuff
05-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Okay ... couple features that I haven't seen elsewhere:

1. See below, you can Google search directly from the address bar, huge for me anyway. I've never seen that elsewhere.

2. As you type search terms in the address bar - here the Tebow example - it immediately gives you a pull-down list of pages you've visited with those terms (OM obviously), including a choice to display 28 other pages. That kind of indexing is a powerful search tool, because it's not an organic search, but rather a search only through where you've actually been.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2184/chromesrch.jpg

jns, I'll grant you I don't know IE-8, but I do know Bill Gates, and he hates Google, really really really hates Google. And he and Ballmer and MS have a long history of leveraging OS power to undermine Google ... Netscape ... Sun .... IBM OS2 .... Real ... Yahoo ... and on and on and on and on and on.

Some of the tactics were hidden deep in their Windows OS codes, and were targeted specifically to these competitors, especially toward Sun's version of their once-shared Java. Targeted, hidden, malicious stuff. So I just refuse to use anything Microsoft other than their OS.

True, it seemed great that Gates made SOME peace with Jobs maybe five or six years ago, and thus allowed Windows interface with some Apple stuff, but the reality behind that "peace" was MS's desire to avert some of the more serious anti-trust allegations.

sisterhellfyre
05-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Okay ... couple features that I haven't seen elsewhere:

1. See below, you can Google search directly from the address bar, huge for me anyway. I've never seen that elsewhere.

Hey, Buff --

JHNS and Rock aside, my other main browser is Firefox 3.6.3. It has the direct Google search from the address bar, too. :-)

Dagmar
05-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Sleep well? ;)

enjolras
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey, Buff --

JHNS and Rock aside, my other main browser is Firefox 3.6.3. It has the direct Google search from the address bar, too. :-)

The 'awesome bar' in Firefox doesn't really do the same thing. In Chrome it takes you directly to a google search. Works great. Easy. Intuitive.

In Firefox it tries to 'guess' what it is your looking for. If it can't figure it out from your browser history, bookmarks, and whatever else it knows about you it does a google search and automatically takes you to the first result (at least by default). I find it to be confusing, implicit, and difficult.

I use Chrome as my primary browser. I've never had the issues the OP is having....

BroncoBuff
05-28-2010, 09:21 AM
OMG ... All the same people are still here 9 hours later? :~ohyah!:

chawknz
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
There's an addon for Firefox (i forget the name though) that will make the "awesome bar" perform like Chrome. Direct Google search as well as giving you on the fly suggestions. It's in the Firefox extensions site.

I wasn't a huge fan of Chrome until the latest v5. Been using it since release and I haven't had any problems with in (On Linux).

Anyone who says IE > Chrome or Firefox obviously thinks AOL is still a good internet service. IE is the worst when it comes to performance, standards, and extensibility. Fact.

BroncoBuff
05-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Okay, second big part and I gotta go ....

Chrome uses your clipboard much better than others I've seen.

See image below: When you left-click the address bar with text in the clipboard, Chrome sees whether the clipboard has a URL or search terms, and it gives you "Paste and search" or "Paste and go" options, depending on what's in the clipboard.

Another point ... the "Go" part of those dialogs eliminate the need to click "Enter" after the text is pasted. One extra click might seem like a small thing, but they add up.

And again, these things are big for MY browsing style ... everybody's different ;D

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4483/clipboardzc.jpg

bowtown
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Use IE.

LOL

Yeah I hear IE 6 is the new big thing.

bowtown
05-28-2010, 10:34 AM
IE is the best browser because it supports a lot more than any other browser. It is other browsers that make programming a website complicated.

Wow, I have never met anyone who is as wrong as your are all of the time.

jhns
05-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow, I have never met anyone who is as wrong as your are all of the time.

Prove me wrong.

HILife
05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Use IE.

LOL LOL hahahahahahahaha Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!Ha!Ha !Ha!Ha

I need to wipe these tears from my eyes.

jhns
05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
IE is the worst when it comes to performance, standards, and extensibility. Fact.

That is laughable and not even close to being fact. What exactly did you use to gauge things like performance, standards, and extensibility?

Also Buff, the search stuff is all in IE8. I'm not sure about the stuff about paste and go as I don't think I have tried anything like that. It is your choice but if you are having problems, I would recommend a different browser. Google is fairly new and will most likely have issues for a while. Go back to it in 6 months and it will probably work a lot better.

bowtown
05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Prove me wrong.

http://killie.mywebsight.ws/

That link is old and IE 8 has fixed a lot of problems but it is still terrible.

I work in web strategy. IE is the bane of my existence.

HILife
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
I agree, Buff: I've liked Chrome since the first version was released, but it's still buggy at times. It seems like the buggy and stable versions alternate: first we get a bad one, then we get a good one that fixes the bad one, and then... and so on.

I haven't noticed the media problems you mentioned, but I've had problems with Chrome on opening PDF files. I can download and save them just fine, but if I try to open them online the entire browser freezes up. I can close it from the Windows taskbar, so at least I don't have to get into the Task Manager, but it sometimes leaves messy graphic orphans on my desktop.

(I'm especially curious to see what Firefox 4 will have to offer when it comes out. Last I heard they were aiming for a release date next spring, and borrowing or cross-pollinating or stealing a bunch of interface ideas from Chrome. Should be interesting.)

Firefox is great. Can't wait for the new version. I have been toying with the idea of playing with Chrome. I really should download that and give it a try.

HILife
05-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Firefox has been good to me.

HILife
05-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I have no need to pass on a browser simply because it is a big name and I want to be special. I am above that kind of thing.

No other browser comes close to being able to do what IE does.

:rofl::giggle::rofl::giggle::giggle::rofl::thumbs: :giggle::thumbs::rofl:

jhns
05-28-2010, 11:13 AM
http://killie.mywebsight.ws/

That link is old and IE 8 has fixed a lot of problems but it is still terrible.

I work in web strategy. IE is the bane of my existence.

What is web strategy? You also just posted a link showing what I said. The reason it is like that is that IE allows programmers to do a ton more while all other browsers are 5 years behind. People that are coding for all browsers also don't have to make two seperate things of code like they make it seem. The coding is the same but only IE supports a lot of newer stuff. You just have to use code that works with all browsers. If you have to use code that only works with IE, then why cry that IE is the only one supporting it? If IE wasn't there, you wouldn't get that option in the first place. Complain to the other browsers that they need to catch up to the times.

That was kind of long so I will put this another way. Code to the standards of all browsers and it will work %100 in IE. Why is it a bad thing that they allow you to do that and more? That entire page is the work of some dork that had an agenda. It is filled with misleading and wrong information.

Also, I have a bachelors in software and web development.I make a lot of money with this degree. I don't really care what you think of my football takes, I am actually an expert in this field.

broncosteven
05-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Is this what you guys mean by fast for a Browser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oarMXGq3gI

To me as a Network engineer speed comes down to more about the CPU, RAM, and Last mile speed to the Internet all browsers are slow if any of those components are inferior.

For me running an i5 with 4Gig ram and 3mb Uverse internet access installing another browser is just clutter.

I have IE 8 loading 3 home pages in their own TAB's every time I start it. You can choose multiple search engines to search from in the field next to the address bar.

I haven't experienced a page load where I said to myself man I need to find a new browser because this is slow.

It cracks me up when people talk about Browser's being "Fast" or "Slow" in this day and age.

BroncoBuff
05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Again, FOR MY browsing style, these conveniences work very very well.

As far as the "Awesome Bar," remember Google owns and exercises all rights to their search engine ... there's probably just three places from which they permit a search to originate: Google.com, Chrome and the older search window in the upper right hand corner of the toolbars. enjolras is right, a straight Google search probably is not possible anywhere else.

What Firefox probably does is, my guess is ... when you enter an Awesome Bar search, intended as a Google search, FF can play a string of macros, first to google.com, then tab to the search box, then enter. It's probably very fast actually.

Again, the Google Search from Address Bar is huge, for me at least. And note that, as you type the terms - e.g. the Tebow terms below - you can either hit "Enter" and immediately get organic Google results on the regular Google results page. OR ... you can choose to click on a pull down choice of pages you've visited that include those terms, here of course the OM pages.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2184/chromesrch.jpg

sisterhellfyre
05-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm gonna have to try the "Paste & Go" thing you mentioned, Buff. I hadn't noticed it, but now I'll have to go look again. :-)

BroncoBuff
05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm gonna have to try the "Paste & Go" thing you mentioned, Buff. I hadn't noticed it, but now I'll have to go look again. :-)

That really is such a way cool feature.

Me, I am constantly copying terms and URLs, from all over the place.

Now I just copy ... then right click in the address bar and BOOM! Instant Google results, or surf to that URL ... whichever was on the clipboard, terms or an address.

Maybe I'm easily impressed on this one, but Chrome sees the clipboard contents somehow, and instantly offers Search or Go, depending what's there.

Cool.

BroncoBuff
05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Even more, though slightly complicated .....

This address-bar display of History-specific searching works great if you're thinking say, "where the heck was I couple days ago reading about x, y and z?" Just type x, y and z terms in the address bar, and Google's indexing (in Chrome only of course), displays the pull down dialog of pages you've visited with those terms. Instantly. Again, a Google search of you browser History PLUS terms included on the pages listed in that History. I think other browsers do some of this, but Google is better because it uses Google indexing of the terms.

This feature kind of eliminate the need to EVER go into your History again (although Chrome's history interface is awesome of you want to use it).

And if you choose, Google will also index your HDD. Then you get a pull-down dialog of not just pages you've visited with the terms, but ALSO documents on your HDD with the same terms!

These indexing-driven features ... that's where the action is these days it seems. Google's indexing is highly advanced, while Microsoft's indexing sucks, it's always sucked (the dreaded Windows "Search" function, yech) .

Microsoft promised big search/indexing improvements with Longhorn/Vista, but they had to abandon most of it to meet the Vista release date.

I'm not sure about 7 ... but Microsoft was way behind on this.

broncosteven
05-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Even more, though slightly complicated .....

This address-bar display of History-specific searching works great if you're thinking say, "where the heck was I couple days ago reading about x, y and z?" Just type x, y and z terms in the address bar, and Google's indexing (in Chrome only of course), displays the pull down dialog of pages you've visited with those terms. Instantly. Again, a Google search of you browser History PLUS terms included on the pages listed in that History. I think other browsers do some of this, but Google is better because it uses Google indexing of the terms.

This feature kind of eliminate the need to EVER go into your History again (although Chrome's history interface is awesome of you want to use it).

And if you choose, Google will also index your HDD. Then you get a pull-down dialog of not just pages you've visited with the terms, but ALSO documents on your HDD with the same terms!

These indexing-driven features ... that's where the action is these days it seems. Google's indexing is highly advanced, while Microsoft's indexing sucks, it's always sucked (the dreaded Windows "Search" function, yech) .

Microsoft promised big search/indexing improvements with Longhorn/Vista, but they had to abandon most of it to meet the Vista release date.

I'm not sure about 7 ... but Microsoft was way behind on this.

A lot of things are way better with Win7 now.

In IE if I was at a site a couple days ago I don't remember I just hit the down arrow next to the address bar and it is there.

You should check out IE8 on Win7. I think you will see my point.