PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 clutch quarterbacks in NFL history

strafen
05-26-2010, 11:01 PM
I voted for Elway, bias aside.
At the time Elway retired, he retired as the winningest QB in NFL history, he also holds the record for the most come from behind victories.
Those are irrefutable proofs that he was Mr. Clutch when it counted the most. Wins!

Vote here (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d810be7de&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

ZONA
05-27-2010, 12:28 AM
I think Elway was the most clutch QB ever. Sure Montana was clutch also but he had a much better team most of those years which allowed him to be clutch. Elway did alot of it on his own, scrambling from defenders because there was no great offensive line in front of him. LB's crashing in on him because they didn't fear any of the RB's. Not until Rod Smith came along, Elway didn't have HOF type of WR's to throw to either.

I voted ELWAY !!!!!

Broncos_OTM
05-27-2010, 01:20 AM
I voted. for Tim tebow... oh wait wrong thread.

BowlenBall
05-27-2010, 01:41 AM
I think Elway was the most clutch QB ever. Sure Montana was clutch also but he had a much better team most of those years which allowed him to be clutch. Elway did alot of it on his own, scrambling from defenders because there was no great offensive line in front of him. LB's crashing in on him because they didn't fear any of the RB's. Not until Rod Smith came along, Elway didn't have HOF type of WR's to throw to either.

I voted ELWAY !!!!!

How dare you disparage Keith Bishop, Sammy Winder, and Vance Johnson.... blasphemy!

Just kidding, those guys were good at best, but certainly were nowhere near as good as their counterparts on the 49ers squads with Montana. Your point, sir, is correct.

Cleo McDowell
05-27-2010, 05:07 AM
those videos got me all warm inside

strafen
05-27-2010, 05:24 AM
How can Tom Brady be slightly ahead of John. Come on guys. Vote! ;D

Brandon29
05-27-2010, 06:13 AM
God bless the Duke.

Tombstone RJ
05-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I still don't understand how Marino is ranked in the top 10 mobile QBs but Elway isn't. Someone explain that to me...

Los Broncos
05-27-2010, 07:59 AM
I still don't understand how Marino is ranked in the top 10 mobile QBs but Elway isn't. Someone explain that to me...

Yeah and Elway even caught a pass or was it a touchdown in the super bowl?

Pretty odd he isn't in there.

DHallblows
05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
I voted. for Tim tebow... oh wait wrong thread.

There's never the wrong thread for that

Spider
05-27-2010, 08:05 AM
only 2 clutch quarterbacks in the NFL worth talking about ...........John " I play like crap for 3 quarters" Elway , and Rodger " Like Elway I payed like crap for 3 quarters also" Starbach

BroncoMan4ever
05-27-2010, 11:34 AM

i think statistically Marino rushed for something like 90 yards his entire career while John rushed for over 3400

there are a lot of stupid people on the web is my theory on how that ranking is screwed up.

Rock Chalk
05-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I voted for Elway, bias aside.
At the time Elway retired, he retired as the winningest QB in NFL history, he also holds the record for the most come from behind victories.
Those are irrefutable proofs that he was Mr. Clutch when it counted the most. Wins!

Vote here (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d810be7de&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Technically speaking Marino holds the record for most comebacks ever. Elway's numbers were inflated by the Broncos PR staff.

Elway probably holds the record for most unbelievable comebacks ever though.

Smilin Assassin
05-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Technically speaking Marino holds the record for most comebacks ever. Elway's numbers were inflated by the Broncos PR staff.

Elway probably holds the record for most unbelievable comebacks ever though.

First I've heard of this.

Elway had/has 47 comeback wins to his name, what is Dan's number?

Los Broncos
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Marino has 37.

DHallblows
05-27-2010, 03:56 PM
First I've heard of this.

Elway had/has 47 comeback wins to his name, what is Dan's number?

I've heard about it like 10 different times. It's something like John's 47 are counted being down starting the 4th Quarter and Dan's 37 are only counting starting after the 2 minute warning down. When you zoom Dan's stats out to the entire 4th Quarter he's better.
Something like that

dsmoot
05-27-2010, 04:35 PM
The only player I did not see play was Otto Graham. I was very fortunate to see all of Elway's career and a significant part of Unitas. I loooooooove Elway. However, if I had one drive to win a game, Unitas goes on the field.

strafen
05-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Elway probably holds the record for most unbelievable comebacks ever though.I've heard that while John was still playing.
It appears to be some discrepancy between the number of comebacks from both Elway and Marino.
I've never heard the final settlement on this. I think Elway is recognized as the one holding that record by most NFL insiders...

Smilin Assassin
05-27-2010, 04:58 PM
My first game ever in person in Mile High was Elway's final comeback.

'98 vs the chiefs. What an amazing day.

strafen
05-27-2010, 05:22 PM
My first game ever in person in Mile High was Elway's final comeback.

'98 vs the chiefs. What an amazing day.I saw a couple of Elway's comebacks.
My first one was against the Seahawks back when they were still in the AFC West, and the most memorable one was at Mile-Hi against the Redskins, Elway to Rod Smith top the corner of the endzone (southstand) to win the game with no time on the clock...

WolfpackGuy
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
That drive in the 1991 playoffs against the Oilers was as clutch as it gets.

No timeouts, and TWO fourth down conversions to go like 70 yards to get in FG range.

The Moops
05-28-2010, 03:30 AM
To be perfectly honest Montana was the most clutch QB I ever saw. I don't recall him screwing up when it counted most. Staubach and Elway are a close second. I agree with one blogger, Staubach and Elway would screw up for 3 quarters before getting their act together in the 4th. People forget, but Staubach had some spotty games where he would throw 2-3 horrible interceptions. I saw about 70 percent of his games. I only saw Unitas play at the tail-end of his career and he sucked by then, however, I heard he was like Montana during his prime. I never thought of Marino as a clutch QB and I can't recall maybe 2 games that Steve Young seemed like a clutch QB . . . Bart Starr, I know he was clutch during the Ice Bowl, but before that, who knows!

Jetmeck
05-28-2010, 01:14 PM

That one amazed me too. Proves whomever is doing these lists knows less about football then the AVERAGE Maner.

Pontius Pirate
05-28-2010, 02:43 PM
http://jeremyinc.com/images/jake_plummer.jpg

Mogulseeker
05-28-2010, 09:23 PM

That shocked me.

Vegas_Bronco
05-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Well damn....Orton had his chances last year.

Mogulseeker
05-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Sports Illustrated's top scrambling QBs of all time:

10. Doug Flutie
9. Archie Manning
8. John Elway
7. Steve Grogan
6. Donovan McNabb
5. Michael Vick
4. Roger Staubach
3. Steve Young
2. Randall Cunningham
1. Fran Tarkenton

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/30/gallery.scrambling/content.10.html

strafen
05-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Sports Illustrated's top scrambling QBs of all time:

10. Doug Flutie
9. Archie Manning
8. John Elway
7. Steve Grogan
6. Donovan McNabb
5. Michael Vick
4. Roger Staubach
3. Steve Young
2. Randall Cunningham
1. Fran Tarkenton

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/30/gallery.scrambling/content.10.htmlElway should at least be at 7th in that list.
I don't think Grogan was as mobile as Elway IIRC

Mogulseeker
05-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Elway should at least be at 7th in that list.
I don't think Grogan was as mobile as Elway IIRC

I don't know much about Grogan.

I wonder if the list is meant to be more best scrambling qbs, or best scrambling qbs... if you know what I mean.

strafen
05-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't know much about Grogan.

I wonder if the list is meant to be more best scrambling qbs, or best scrambling qbs... if you know what I mean.Grogan, off the top of my head, played for New England if I'm not mistaken...

I agree. Elway was not a runner type QB like Plummer per-se. He did all of his scrambling eluding pass-rushers.
We've never had a stout OL for most of Elway's career, Elway faced some of the best pass rushers in the game at the time, and perhaps still some of the best pass-rushers of all time. He just knew when to turn the afterburners on... :thumbsup: