PDA

View Full Version : Legwold: Broncos want Ayers to start

footstepsfrom#27
05-26-2010, 02:46 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15161854

Says he considers himself the starter going in, stuff about the adjustment he had last year moving from the college DE, etc...

SoDak Bronco
05-26-2010, 06:11 AM
My adopt a Bronco is going to make a big jump this season...he was a step away for about 6 sacks...he makes those plays this season plus more..

Man-Goblin
05-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Wants and needs are two different things.

Broncoman13
05-26-2010, 06:51 AM
If Ayers can get off the snap a little bit more quickly he could become dominant. He is very slow getting off the ball. It's so bad it looks like it has to be deliberate. I mean, we're talking the guys around him are a full step - step and a half into the play and he is standing straight up. I thought maybe this was just a rookie thing where he was thinking too much. Go back and watch some of his highlights at Tenn... SAME THING.

Pick Six
05-26-2010, 10:14 AM
If Ayers can get off the snap a little bit more quickly he could become dominant. He is very slow getting off the ball. It's so bad it looks like it has to be deliberate. I mean, we're talking the guys around him are a full step - step and a half into the play and he is standing straight up. I thought maybe this was just a rookie thing where he was thinking too much. Go back and watch some of his highlights at Tenn... SAME THING.

It did seem like he was the last person to show up on the screen several times. Good observation. I'll have to watch for that...:thumbsup:

oubronco
05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I hope so he looked like he was only trying half the time last year

broncogary
05-26-2010, 10:54 AM

So you're saying he looked like Jarvis Moss?

Kaylore
05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
The article had little substance. The only thing I took from it was that Ayers is one of the top performers this offseason, so at least he's putting in the time to get better.

There were periods where Ayers was getting good pressure last year. And people forget playing DT in a 4-3 and moving over to LB in our style of 3-4 is incredibly difficult. I liked him coming out of the senior bowl and combine. He really played hard. I think he will become a solid starter for us, but not any kind of superstar, which is fine. If we can get him contributing on all three downs, we're getting what we should out of him.

Durango
05-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Ayers has all the tools. I honestly believe he will become a solid player for the Broncos. Maybe not the dominant force a lot of people hoped for, but very productive beginning this season.

montrose
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I think he will become a solid starter for us, but not any kind of superstar, which is fine. If we can get him contributing on all three downs, we're getting what we should out of him.

This. I thought this before the draft, maybe not the greatest production for value considering he was a 1st round pick and Orakpo put up big sack numbers from the same class - but I recall saying before that draft I just wanted safe picks that would be solid contributors and not complete busts. At this point, I can see Ayers heading for that class. He could be better, maybe even a lot better - but realistically I'm thinking he becomes a solid "B" player for the next few years.

Archer81
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Legwold: Broncos want Ayres to start.

Rest of us: Duh.

:Broncos:

BowlenBall
05-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Legwold: Broncos want Ayers to start

More from the ObviousVille Post:

Kizla: Bowlen Prefers Winning to Losing
Paige: Touchdowns Worth More than Field Goals
Jones: No Women on Broncos Roster in 2010

ZONA
05-26-2010, 10:06 PM

No doubt, that's too funny. Like the Broncos don't want a 1st rounder to be starting, what a lame title.

SouthStndJunkie
05-26-2010, 10:20 PM
I didn't like the pick when we made it and I saw nothing to change my mind last year.

0 sacks at OLB in the 3-4 won't cut it again.

I'm hoping Ayers makes me eat a steaming plate of crow.

DivineLegion
05-27-2010, 03:25 AM
I thought this was common knowledge when McDaniels said that they were moving Mario Haggan inside.

oubronco
05-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Legwold: Broncos want Ayers to start

More from the ObviousVille Post:

Kizla: Bowlen Prefers Winning to Losing
Paige: Touchdowns Worth More than Field Goals
Jones: No Women on Broncos Roster in 2010

Buy a clue :~ohyah!:

no-pseudo-fan
05-27-2010, 07:27 AM
This. I thought this before the draft, maybe not the greatest production for value considering he was a 1st round pick and Orakpo put up big sack numbers from the same class - but I recall saying before that draft I just wanted safe picks that would be solid contributors and not complete busts. At this point, I can see Ayers heading for that class. He could be better, maybe even a lot better - but realistically I'm thinking he becomes a solid "B" player for the next few years.

I'm wit u.

No more swinging for the fences. We need doubles and singles. I would rather have 12 doubles than 2 superstars and 10 busts.

Beantown Bronco
05-27-2010, 07:46 AM
I hope so he looked like he was only trying half the time last year

My new game day T shirt:

"Robert Ayers = Sex Panther......50% of the time, he works all the time"

no-pseudo-fan
05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
My new game day T shirt:

"Robert Ayers = Sex Panther......50% of the time, he works all the time"

What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.

Smells like Bigfoot's ****(Rooster)

dsmoot
05-27-2010, 07:53 AM

Not disputing your observation. However, don't you think the same thing would just jump right off the screen to the Bronco scouts and people deciding who we take with a first round pick. Something doesn't quite add up here.

azbroncfan
05-27-2010, 09:24 AM
The broncos want there first round pick who they took in top 20 to start? Who would of ever thought that.

Zoobie
05-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't believe he will become a sack master(which in the stat-happy NFL eliminates his chances at superstardom) however I think he can provide solid pressure, a few sacks, and help immensly against the run. I don't care if he is a media boner-provider, as long as he does the dirty work and is a catalyst to our run defense and aids in collapsing the pocket which I think he is plenty capable of.

mr007
05-27-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15161854

Says he considers himself the starter going in, stuff about the adjustment he had last year moving from the college DE, etc...

When did you come back?!

Popps
05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
No doubt, that's too funny. Like the Broncos don't want a 1st rounder to be starting, what a lame title.

He's one of the best writers covering the team. It's the off-season, so he can only write about what there is to write about.

Kaylore
05-27-2010, 04:14 PM
When did you come back?!

It's funny that no one cared.

SoCalBronco
05-27-2010, 08:44 PM

Actually....I'm very glad to see Footsteps back. He always brings pretty good stuff to the table.

footstepsfrom#27
05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
When did you come back?!
I pop in every now and then just for a minute.

footstepsfrom#27
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Funnier yet that you think I'd give a ****.

strafen
05-27-2010, 10:27 PM
If Ayers can get off the snap a little bit more quickly he could become dominant. He is very slow getting off the ball. It's so bad it looks like it has to be deliberate. I mean, we're talking the guys around him are a full step - step and a half into the play and he is standing straight up. I thought maybe this was just a rookie thing where he was thinking too much. Go back and watch some of his highlights at Tenn... SAME THING.Well, to be honest, Ayers is generously listed at 6-3 and 275lbs. That would be a good weight for a DE. Now that he's making the transition to LB, I think sheedding off some pounds will help him getting a quicker first step. Otherwise, he'd still be to big yo play LB.
About his chances to become a starter?
I think with Andra Davis leaving, that definitely improves his chances. I still see his weight as an issue working against him...

ZONA
05-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Well, to be honest, Ayers is generously listed at 6-3 and 275lbs. That would be a good weight for a DE. Now that he's making the transition to LB, I think sheedding off some pounds will help him getting a quicker first step. Otherwise, he'd still be to big yo play LB.
About his chances to become a starter?
I think with Andra Davis leaving, that definitely improves his chances. I still see his weight as an issue working against him...

275 wouldn't be a good weight for a 3-4 DE and being an outside LB in a 3-4, I'd say 275 isn't a bad weight. It's for sure on the high side but I still think it's a good weight for him. I like the idea of this defense being bigger. The front 7 need to be around the top weight for their position. W'eve had way too many years of having smaller guys roam around. Time to be large and in charge, hahaha.

watermock
05-28-2010, 04:16 AM
Ayers, Moreno, Smith, Yo-Yo, Teyou,

Good luck.

strafen
05-29-2010, 12:34 AM
275 wouldn't be a good weight for a 3-4 DE and being an outside LB in a 3-4, I'd say 275 isn't a bad weight. It's for sure on the high side but I still think it's a good weight for him. I like the idea of this defense being bigger. The front 7 need to be around the top weight for their position. W'eve had way too many years of having smaller guys roam around. Time to be large and in charge, hahaha.I don't know man. For a LB to be at 275lbs that's just a couple cheese burgers away from being 280-285. That's too heavy for a defense which philosophy is to be an attacking defense...

Kaylore
05-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Funnier yet that you think I'd give a ****.

When did I say you did? I need to go back and find all the crap you predicted about how bad we'd be last year.

Florida_Bronco
05-29-2010, 02:55 AM

Yeah. I'm shocked and amazed.

Cito Pelon
05-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Sure would be nice if Ayers had a kickass year at OLB. But even if it turns out that's not his best position in the 3-4, he has versatility and is a team player. Many times mid-to-low #1's they don't turn out to be kickass players but have productive 10-12 year careers.

gunns
05-29-2010, 08:40 AM

This.

fontaine
06-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Ayers didn't just play as a LB last year, there were plenty of times when he lined up in a three point stance also.

I hope I'm proven wrong but I just don't see it with this guy. He looks slow, sluggish and didn't really have any pass rush moves to speak of. He got walled off too easily and didn't show the kind of 2nd effort and hustle you expect to see from guys who are fighting for playing time.

With the physical presence of Davis gone our LBs look soft. I hope Williams has something left in the tank because he's going to see a lot of playing time.