PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Moreno looking good in OTAs

montrose
05-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Shown greater explosion and freelance running. Klis doesn't mention it but it sounds as though the knee may be fully healed.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/05/25/fantasy-alert-knowshon-moreno-could-be-sleeper/

Tombstone RJ
05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I can hardly wait to see what a full year in this offense does for Moreno. Hopefully, he's much, much, much better...

Popps
05-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Again... he came out early. Would this have been his senior season? Or, was that last year?

ZONA
05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
I know that knee had to be part of the problem last year, at least in the early part of the season. On his college highlights, he definitely had great explosion and when I didn't see that last year, I was kinda like huh?. Let's hope he stays healthy and shows that burst and some more of those moves.

I want to see Spidermoreno again.

http://members.cox.net/azhelton/Broncos/Moreno_Spiderman.jpg

Doggcow
05-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Moreno is going to be sick this year.

strafen
05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Again... he came out early. Would this have been his senior season? Or, was that last year?This year would have been his junior year, if I'm not mistaken.
He only played two years of college football...

NASurfer
05-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I know that knee hard to be part of the problem last year, at least in the early part of the season. On his college highlights, he definitely had great explosion and when I didn't see that last year, I was kinda like huh?. Let's hope he stays healthy and shows that burst and some more of those moves.

I have hopes for Moreno, but he definitely didn't look right during some crucial stretches.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7360/spidercensored.jpg

Mogulseeker
05-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I know that knee hard to be part of the problem last year, at least in the early part of the season. On his college highlights, he definitely had great explosion and when I didn't see that last year, I was kinda like huh?. Let's hope he stays healthy and shows that burst and some more of those moves.

Would you believe he actually had one of the poorer high-jumps at the combine last year?

HAT
05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Slowshon couldn't beat beezer in a 40

Beevis is still trying to date Darla

The 8 heded monster is know 3 amigos

Purple cars are rediculous

Popps
05-26-2010, 12:28 AM
This year would have been his junior year, if I'm not mistaken.

So this would have been his senior season, then.

Excited to see Ayers and him next season. Both were thought to need a little time to develop.

ZONA
05-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Would you believe he actually had one of the poorer high-jumps at the combine last year?

high jumps or verticle? I don't think they high jump at the combine, hahahaha.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44092000/jpg/_44092088_highjump416.jpg

But yeah, I would have been a little surprised. But he's not playing whoops. I know the man had some sick burst and cutting though :)

azbroncfan
05-26-2010, 01:17 AM
This year would have been his junior year, if I'm not mistaken.

Did you forget last year?

The Joker
05-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Good stuff, hopefully it's not just off-season fluff.

This line was one of the most preposterous things I've ever read though.

"No player, in any sport, does well if they think first, then play. They just have to play."

:rofl:

elsid13
05-26-2010, 01:37 AM
How does anyone not look good in OTAs when there is no tackling and players are in shorts?

BMarsh615
05-26-2010, 02:41 AM
slowshon couldn't beat beezer in a 40

beevis is still trying to date darla

the 8 heded monster is know 3 amigos

purple cars are rediculous

buy a clue

fyp

strafen
05-26-2010, 05:22 AM
Did you forget last year?Correct. You're right.
This year would have been his senior...

Broncoman13
05-26-2010, 05:36 AM
Couple quick thoughts.

Last year, the first time I saw Knowshon was the day after he finally ended his hold out. I was looking all over the field for him. He had his jersey rolled up under his pads so his # didn't immediately stand out (Lots of players were doing this though). So I see this guy running through some drills and think that has to be Knowshon... or is that a LB? Not kidding at all, he is as thick as DJ Williams... if not more so. That was his rookie year after a long draft process. This year, the dude is going to be yoked. I've already said it several times, but I expect he will be in the 220-222 range when camp starts with the added muscle.

Moreno in year two is going to really step his game up to the next level. We're talking 1200 yards, 300 yards receiving and 12-15 total TDs. One year of experience plus some additional muscle. A full offseason of concentrating on football rather than draft. Yeah, if you're a FF nut, don't let Moreno sneak out of the 3rd or 4th round.

bpc
05-26-2010, 05:59 AM
I hope he's been doing lots of squats and jump rope this offseason. If he can start to fall forward a lot more, and get through the 2nd level a little quicker, maybe we'll have something.

A 1000 yd season would be nice in year #2.

TheReverend
05-26-2010, 06:01 AM
"I thought Moreno’s problem in his rookie season last year were, one, he seemed to be running a little too much on coach’s instruction instead of instinct"

I don't think that was the case at all. He had TOO many runs were he bounced side to side trying to make something happen instead of taking a couple yards if they were available.

TheReverend
05-26-2010, 06:02 AM
I hope he's been doing lots of squats and jump rope this offseason. If he can start to fall forward a lot more, and get through the 2nd level a little quicker, maybe we'll have something.

A 1000 yd season would be nice in year #2.

Such an underestimated part of an offense!

cmhargrove
05-26-2010, 06:19 AM
"I thought Moreno’s problem in his rookie season last year were, one, he seemed to be running a little too much on coach’s instruction instead of instinct"

I don't think that was the case at all. He had TOO many runs were he bounced side to side trying to make something happen instead of taking a couple yards if they were available.

Hopefullly, we don't let him get hit 2 yards behind the LOS like last year. It was kind of a tall order for a rookie to deal with.

I hope he has a great year and takes the heat off the whole QB situation.

Rabb
05-26-2010, 06:29 AM
I seriously think part of his issue last year was coming into camp much later, hopefully he stays healthy and plays well. I thought he had a good year for a rookie personally.

Broncoman13
05-26-2010, 06:58 AM

I do. I think that was exactly the case in several situations. Add to the fact that they didn't have a FB that understood the offense to lead the way. I think that is why the staff was so down on Hillis.

I also think a lot of the side to side action was a result of the OL breaking down and not being accustomed to the offense. The holes in the NFL are split second things and if you don't know where to expect the hole you're going to end up dancing behind the LOS looking for it. Not enough instinct running last year.

As for the leaning ahead and taking what is there... I agree, sometimes you just have to accept that a play isn't going to get your more than 2 yards and just take what is there. Far too often players feel that every play is meant to succeed and get a nice long gain. Generally speaking, that is true... but sometimes plays don't work out the way they are supposed to.

no-pseudo-fan
05-26-2010, 07:12 AM
If we can block on the interior of the OL, and Knowshon makes a jump, we will see some great things....I think

Tom G
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
FYI:

Moreno was born July16, '87 (that's 22 going on 23).

He redshirted in '06 (freshman yr).

Had 1,334 yds (5.3 per) in '07 (sophomore yr).

Had 1,400 yds (4.6 per) in '08 (junior yr).

Had 947 yds (3.8 per) in '09 (NFL rookie yr, would have been his senior yr at Georgia with still another year of eligibility left (I think) 'cause of the redshirt year.

Bottom line, very young, should be far better this year for all the reasons posted above.

broncogary
05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I know that knee had to be part of the problem last year, at least in the early part of the season. On his college highlights, he definitely had great explosion and when I didn't see that last year, I was kinda like huh?. Let's hope he stays healthy and shows that burst and some more of those moves.

In the first preseason game last year I thought he looked extremely explosive before he got hurt. Not so much after that or the rest of the season.

TheReverend
05-26-2010, 07:34 AM
I do. I think that was exactly the case in several situations. Add to the fact that they didn't have a FB that understood the offense to lead the way. I think that is why the staff was so down on Hillis.

I also think a lot of the side to side action was a result of the OL breaking down and not being accustomed to the offense. The holes in the NFL are split second things and if you don't know where to expect the hole you're going to end up dancing behind the LOS looking for it. Not enough instinct running last year.

As for the leaning ahead and taking what is there... I agree, sometimes you just have to accept that a play isn't going to get your more than 2 yards and just take what is there. Far too often players feel that every play is meant to succeed and get a nice long gain. Generally speaking, that is true... but sometimes plays don't work out the way they are supposed to.

Oh come on. Buckhalter was our best back because he ran primarily north and south and he had the same OL and a LOT less talent.

Oddly enough, Knowshon's best games and gains were when he did the same (Giants, KC).

It's fairly normal for a running back of his style to want to dance... especially in his rookie season, but let's not credit him with what he hasn't earned yet by falling over excuses. FB? We barely ran a FB last year, and as of the notes from Josh, we're going to be implementing more of it this year, so will we have the same excuse because it was "new" next year?

Point blank, he needs to implement more power to his game, and probably better timing too. Dancing to make people miss is great, but he needs to focus on getting to the second level first.

Master___Pain
05-26-2010, 08:15 AM
FYI:

Moreno was born July16, '87 (that's 22 going on 23).

He redshirted in '06 (freshman yr).

Had 1,334 yds (5.3 per) in '07 (sophomore yr).

Had 1,400 yds (4.6 per) in '08 (junior yr).

Had 947 yds (3.8 per) in '09 (NFL rookie yr, would have been his senior yr at Georgia with still another year of eligibility left (I think) 'cause of the redshirt year.

Bottom line, very young, should be far better this year for all the reasons posted above.

This is not correct as far as eligibility goes. He came out as a redshirt sophomore. He had two more years of eligibility (he has a total of 5 years to play 4)

Your point that he's is still quite young remains

OABB
05-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Am I the only one that was impressed by him last year?

Dagmar
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Am I the only one that was impressed by him last year?

I was impressed by him too, but because he finished a whole 53 yards short of 1000 yards certain people love to call him a slow bust.

1160 combined yards for a rookie and leading rookie rusher isn't a bust in my eyes to be honest.

Kaylore
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I think Moreno did the best he could with his LG and Center laying on their backs three yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Broncoman13
05-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Oh come on. Buckhalter was our best back because he ran primarily north and south and he had the same OL and a LOT less talent.

Oddly enough, Knowshon's best games and gains were when he did the same (Giants, KC).

It's fairly normal for a running back of his style to want to dance... especially in his rookie season, but let's not credit him with what he hasn't earned yet by falling over excuses. FB? We barely ran a FB last year, and as of the notes from Josh, we're going to be implementing more of it this year, so will we have the same excuse because it was "new" next year?

Point blank, he needs to implement more power to his game, and probably better timing too. Dancing to make people miss is great, but he needs to focus on getting to the second level first.

And yet he was a top 10 back in tackles broken and yardage after initial contact despite having split carries with Buck. That kind of means he ran with power in his rookie campaign.

montrose
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM
In the first preseason game last year I thought he looked extremely explosive before he got hurt. Not so much after that or the rest of the season.

This. I think that knee bothered him far worse than was covered. Look at DJ playing with the same injury at the end of '08, it was night-and-day to how he played early that year or last season once it recovered. Knowshon's explosiveness and drive off that knee couldn't have been 100% after hurting his MCL - that's why I think with an offseason to heal it (along with the other factors mentioned - 2nd year, better OL, etc.), we'll see why he was the #12 pick.

gyldenlove
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
And yet he was a top 10 back in tackles broken and yardage after initial contact despite having split carries with Buck. That kind of means he ran with power in his rookie campaign.

No, that means he got touched in the backfield a lot more than he should have. Buckhalter didn't get caught in the backfield because he never ran sideways, Moreno spend too much time in the backfield before turning upfield which is reflected in his stats. If you look at especially the later games in the year defenders would routinely get their hands on him behind the line of scrimmage before he took off for a 3 or 4 yard gain.

Moreno ran with very little power which is one of the main reasons our red zone and 3rd down offense was biblically poor.

Moreno was not bad, but considering that 4 players in the 2008 rookie class had more rushing yards as rookies than he did, 6 2008 rookies had more rushing TDs, and 7 2008 rookies who had more than 100 carries had a better yard per carry average than he did, he was far from being impressive.

If Moreno hadn't been part of such an abysmal rookie class his year would have been pretty pedestrian.

Beantown Bronco
05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
NoMoreno ran with very little power which is one of the main reasons our red zone and 3rd down offense was biblically poor.

We had 4 different RBs attempt carries on short yardage (Moreno, CBuck, Hillis and Jordan) and red zone. NONE had consistent success. The OLine was the common denominator. Time to place blame where it belongs here.

Kaylore
05-26-2010, 10:13 AM
We had 4 different RBs attempt carries on short yardage (Moreno, CBuck, Hillis and Jordan) and red zone. NONE had consistent success. The OLine was the common denominator. Time to place blame where it belongs here.

This is absolutely the case. Did Moreno dance around too much? Yes. Did he lack the decisiveness and burst of Buckhalter? Yes. But our tiny linemen were getting owned, especially at the end of the year, and especially inside and no back would have been to do anything of substance under those conditions.

gyldenlove
05-26-2010, 10:19 AM

We did, but if you look at what I was responding to it was the statement "Moreno ran with some power" which is flat out not true. The fact that the offensive line didn't block anybody is not in dispute.

yerner
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm expecting him to breakout like Ray Rice did. He won't do it the same way, but it will be just as productive. Oddly, I kind of see alot of Brian Westbrooke in him.

Baba Booey
05-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Towards the end of the year Knowshon was getting the ball with a guy in his face about half the time. Our Swiss cheese interior line, combined with the fact that he held out, definitely held him back a little.

If our figuratively improved OL has some success, Knowshon will explode. Like the article said he's with the team now instead of worrying about the draft and contracts.

Beantown Bronco
05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
We did, but if you look at what I was responding to it was the statement "Moreno ran with some power" which is flat out not true.

All evidence to the contrary.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/92owAaBGf_A"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/92owAaBGf_A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Vegas_Bronco
05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Worst blocking and too much btwn the tackle in running game last year...Offensive line just got owned game after game. Josh was predictiable last season in the running game.

Cmac821
05-26-2010, 12:03 PM

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/92owAaBGf_A"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/92owAaBGf_A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Who is that guy? I don't remember him running like that, those are promising because the tripping on himself was hard to watch last year.

TheReverend
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM

I can't believe someone looks good in a highlight reel! Also, 90% of that clip is from 4 games.

Lastly, this isn't bashing him. He has the tools for sure. Let's see him live up to it and play harder. That's all anyone wants.

Beantown Bronco
05-26-2010, 12:07 PM
I can't believe someone looks good in a highlight reel! Also, 90% of that clip is from 4 games.

Lastly, this isn't bashing him. He has the tools for sure. Let's see him live up to it and play harder. That's all anyone wants.

All someone said was that he ran with "some" power and they got a response back that it was simply untrue. Not untrue part of the time. Untrue period. I'm not gonna let that slide.

Kaylore
05-26-2010, 12:07 PM

I'd like to see our offensive line do that first and then I can get on our bum-knee rookie for not "lighting it up".

gyldenlove
05-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Oh that video is just full of power running, it is not like most of those runs come off tackle and does not involve power running at all. I counted 4 good power runs, rounding up to 5 that is not a whole lot out of the 250 carries he had.

gyldenlove
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
All someone said was that he ran with "some" power and they got a response back that it was simply untrue. Not untrue part of the time. Untrue period. I'm not gonna let that slide.

So he runs with some power 2% of the time, in my book that is as good as never running with power. Hell Popps want us to believe that a 20% drop in points is not a lot, so how are you going to argue that running with power 2% of the time qualifies as running with power?

That highlight video, was what 20 plays and it was mostly running far outside the tackles. You need to bring better evidence to the table.

Beantown Bronco
05-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh that video is just full of power running, it is not like most of those runs come off tackle and does not involve power running at all. I counted 4 good power runs, rounding up to 5 that is not a whole lot out of the 250 carries he had.

Your math sucks. Must be the European metric system to blame.

Beantown Bronco
05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
So he runs with some power 2% of the time, in my book that is as good as never running with power.

Please

That highlight video, was what 20 plays and it was mostly running far outside the tackles. You need to bring better evidence to the table.

gyldenlove is now stating that you can't run with power outside the tackles. That's interesting. Paging Adrian Peterson.

Better evidence? Why. Your prior statement was an absolute. You stated that Moreno never runs with power. By definition, to prove you wrong I only need to show one such run. I did that, by your own admission.

Vegas_Bronco
05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92owAaBGf_A</EMBED></EMBED>

I hated watching him line up in Singleback and run into the line for a gain of 1-2 yards twenty times a game.

I have to admit...I'mma miss BMarsh this next season...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5I9ImMce1g&feature=related

underrated29
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Whoever says Moreno doesnt fall forward is a bufoon. ALMOST EVERY SINGLE RUN HE FELL FORWARD!!!

On almost ALL of them.

He runs with great power and keeps the legs Churning. If you do not see this you are blind or are tatum bell.

Knowshon is a great back and with an OLine that will allow him to take the handoff before getting hit infront of him. Big things will happen. Has anyone ever noticed that the runs where he is not met in the backfield he gets typically gets 6+ yards on????

Have a look again folks. When he makes it back to the LOS without being hit he barrles, slashes, jukes whatever his way for almost 6+. Conversly when he is hit before hand he usually does not make it that far. Also be wary of the play calling. How many times did Josh call the same trap to the right on 3rd and short??? We knew it, the defense knew it, my 3 year old knew it was coming. He is not perfect. But he is legit!!

crush17
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
I gotta agree. Moreno ALWAYS falls forward. I noticed it every single game last season.

gyldenlove
05-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Please

gyldenlove is now stating that you can't run with power outside the tackles. That's interesting. Paging Adrian Peterson.

Better evidence? Why. Your prior statement was an absolute. You stated that Moreno never runs with power. By definition, to prove you wrong I only need to show one such run. I did that, by your own admission.

Clutching at straws a little now are we?

I said: Moreno ran with very little power

I would say that is consistent with running with power on a few % of the carries he gets. If you run outside the tackles the whole point is to outrun the defenders, not run over them, so it hardly makes sense to try to truck through defenders when you run off tackle, you will notice that Adrian Peterson tends to outrun people when he takes it outside.

BlaK-Argentina
05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I gotta agree. Moreno ALWAYS falls forward. I noticed it every single game last season.

Me too, heck that was the thing I liked the most about him. In the first preseason game (yeah I know, preseason) he looked like a beast before going down. He ran with power, was extremely quick and as we saw during the season he has some moves and great hands.

I'm expecting big things from him this year. Hopefully he comes thru.

gyldenlove
05-26-2010, 01:37 PM

Absolutely, his body control is excellent, he is very good at getting under tacklers so they can't pull him backwards.

epicSocialism4tw
05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Moreno is going to be sick this year.

The odds are pretty good that he'll come down with an illness at some point this year.

no-pseudo-fan
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Knowing what is and isn't a hole in the NFL is what is going on with him. He played fairly well, but he hit the wall. Less thinking and more playing will help.

TheReverend
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd like to see our offensive line do that first and then I can get on our bum-knee rookie for not "lighting it up".

Those same guys blocked for 9 different running backs the year prior

None with a sniff of Knowshons talent.

All were significantly to INCREDIBLY higher in ypc.

Yes, I realize implementing some power running game caused them to be less effective sometimes, but that certainly wasn't all. All I want is to see him play with more power and timing and the two would do wonders for his game. If it was the knee, it was the knee, great, it should be fixed this season.

Bronco Yoda
05-26-2010, 02:44 PM
I can't wait to see his improvement this year. He was a young rookie last year with a running game in transition. I'm giving him a mulligin for last year. Brand new year now. He is our future for now so I hope he explodes this season and turns into a star.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Those same guys blocked for 9 different running backs the year prior

None with a sniff of Knowshons talent.

All were significantly to INCREDIBLY higher in ypc.

Yes, I realize implementing some power running game caused them to be less effective sometimes, but that certainly wasn't all. All I want is to see him play with more power and timing and the two would do wonders for his game. If it was the knee, it was the knee, great, it should be fixed this season.

I wouldnt compare this season to last, i think we all saw a huge drop off in play from our linemen. Wiegmann turned to ****, we had no left guard, and we didnt have ryan harris for half the season.

underrated29
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I wouldnt compare this season to last, i think we all saw a huge drop off in play from our linemen. Wiegmann turned to ****, we had no left guard, and we didnt have ryan harris for half the season.

I agree too hard to compare the two seasons.

One was mikes offense, one was mcd offense in progress (not completed at the time)

This past year under our "under construction" offense I believe we fell in Every category from the year prior. It takes some time for josh to build it his way, and for our peeps to get the feel for it.

Moreno will ball out!!!

montrose
05-27-2010, 02:48 AM
Here's Knowshon running with power (and keep an eye on Hillis at the FB spot): http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8157d4c1/Knowshon-Moreno-Highlight-WK-17-vs-Chiefs-2009

TheReverend
05-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Here's Knowshon running with power (and keep an eye on Hillis at the FB spot): http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8157d4c1/Knowshon-Moreno-Highlight-WK-17-vs-Chiefs-2009

My original post that sucked me into this stupid topic:

montrose
05-27-2010, 08:19 AM
My original post that sucked me into this stupid topic:

Cool, I think everyone's made pretty accurate comments in regards to Moreno's rookie season. I think that if the OL can improve, which is a mystery right now, he could be the Broncos' best player this season.

gyldenlove
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM

He had 3 or 4 of those really good trucking TDs from a yard or two, but he had too many times he ran right into someone and got stopped on 3rd and short and 4th and short.

Rabb
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
He had 3 or 4 of those really good trucking TDs from a yard or two, but he had too many times he ran right into someone and got stopped on 3rd and short and 4th and short.

right into someone that was in the backfield while guys like Ben Hamilton were playing matador