PDA

View Full Version : NY To Host SuperBowl

RhymesayersDU
05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Per NFL Live. Vote just occurred.

Proceed to bitch and moan about Denver and other cold weather cities.

dbfan21
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
what a joke...

Tombstone RJ
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
It certianly opens the door for other outdoor stadiums. Bowlen can now use this to get a SB in Denver...

BMF Bronco
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
It is what it is, you had to expect NY to be the first cold weather city to get the SB in all honesty. Oh well, maybe this will pave the way for the future.

RhymesayersDU
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
It certianly opens the door for other outdoor stadiums. Bowlen can now use this to get a SB in Denver...

Indeed, although just like the guys on NFL Live just said, it has to be a success for that to happen. Bowlen, etc, will be rooting hard for the NY Super Bowl to go off without a hitch.

no-pseudo-fan
05-25-2010, 02:27 PM
That would be cool if Denver would get a Super Bowl......Victory.

I think that the Super Bowl Champ should host the following Super Bowl.

Kaylore
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
It is what it is, you had to expect NY to be the first cold weather city to get the SB in all honesty. Oh well, maybe this will pave the way for the future.

This.

Doggcow
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
That would be cool if Denver would get a Super Bowl......Victory.

I think that the Super Bowl Champ should host the following Super Bowl.

This.

BroncoBuff
05-25-2010, 02:51 PM
All about the almighty dollar.

Based on this chart I'm thinking not so bad. Just one-tenth of an inch rain/snow average for that date ... average high 40, (overnight) low 27.

I'm guessing no snow .... 40 at kickoff, dropping to 32 toward the end of the game. Isn't that kinda perfect football weather?

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7213/nyco.jpg

Houshyamama
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
"New Orleans and Miami (South Florida) have each hosted nine Super Bowls. Miami will host the 2010 Super Bowl, while New Orleans has been awarded the 2013 Super Bowl."

Hopefully they start awarding the SB to more cold weather cities. I'd say these two warm cities have had their turn and are due to wait a LONG time before they get another one. I know it won't happen, but I'm definitely tired of seeing the SB in the same places over and over and over and over and over...

Jason in LA
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Well it is New York. Outside of a ski trip, that's the only place I'd go to even it it was snowing.

Baba Booey
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Crowd here in Jersey is pretty split over it.

Man-Goblin
05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
All about the almighty dollar.

Based on this chart I'm thinking not so bad. Just one-tenth of an inch rain/snow average for that date ... average high 40, (overnight) low 27.

I'm guessing no snow .... 40 at kickoff, dropping to 32 toward the end of the game. Isn't that kinda perfect football weather?

Did you just try to predict the weather for a game 3 and a half years away? :)

broncosteven
05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Detroit has had a couple SB's, it is not about the temp as much as it is having a dome so the temp is a non-factor.

Personally I think every city should get a chance to host the SB. Level the playing field.

Dendave
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
why not spread it out to all 32 teams over a 32 year period (NY can host again in 18 years? Weather is part of the game and I know it sucks sitting in it for the price of tickets. However, for the city that hosts it is thanking the fans for their support, I live in the Detroit area and i wasn't going to go to the game unles Denver was in it (damn you Pittsburgh) but that week leading up to the game was a great week, even people who don't follow football were out and about. There was a ton of stuff to do. For people who say it's a weather thing, the Indy/Chi wasn't a bright sunny day. Heck most of us will never go to the game anyway so why should we complain where it's at?

Mogulseeker
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Steam pipes underneath the grass, heaters on the field. Even in Denver. No reason not to.

Smiling Assassin27
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Yup. It's called precedent.

You'll see Danny Snyder pushing HARD in the next couple of years.

Kaylore
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm sorry but I don't like the idea of the SB being played in complete crap-holes like Oakland. I think if you have a nice stadium and the weather is reasonable then you should have a shot.

Smiling Assassin27
05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Steam pipes underneath the grass, heaters on the field. Even in Denver. No reason not to.

Nah, that's for sissy baseballers. Play the game in the elements and get 'er done.

BroncoBuff
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Did you just try to predict the weather for a game 3 and a half years away? :)

Why, yes. Yes I did.

Using a meticulously compiled historical record of the temperatures and precipitation for that date in New York City as my guide ;D

bronco militia
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
since most of the SB ticket sales are corporate, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of empty seats after halftime.

bombay
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Should be a great party.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Outside of New York, Denver is the most attractive cold weather Super Bowl city because of the ski-party scene at Vail, Breckenridge, Aspen, etc. Rich, celebrity assholes already frequent Colorado every winter. Why not turn their visit into a bigger party?

snowspot66
05-25-2010, 03:46 PM
since most of the SB ticket sales are corporate, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of empty seats after halftime.

I predict 50% empty seats by the midway point of the third quarter.

BroncoLifer
05-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Outside of New York, Denver is the most attractive cold weather Super Bowl city because of the ski-party scene at Vail, Breckenridge, Aspen, etc. Rich, celebrity a-holes already frequent Colorado every winter. Why not turn their visit into a bigger party?

Unfortunately, Chicago will get more love then Denver will, despite the harsher winters by the lake.

But most people would still rather go to South Beach or LA.

broncosteven
05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry but I don't like the idea of the SB being played in complete crap-holes like Oakland. I think if you have a nice stadium and the weather is reasonable then you should have a shot.

I bet if the NFL spread the SB around there would be less crapholes because they would get more funding to fix up the stadium. Kinda like the Olympic's argument.

Tombstone RJ
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Why, yes. Yes I did.

Using a meticulously compiled historical record of the temperatures and precipitation for that date in New York City as my guide ;D

Since you are so inclined, mind doing it for Denver, then we can compare weather for both cities? I'm thinking Denver's weather is better...

Atwater His Ass
05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
It's not just about temperature. The Super Bowl is a 2+ week event that brings in millions of dollars. It's about being able to accomodate all of those people and providing entertainment for the party. I'm still surprised they ever played one in Detroit. New York was always in the drivers seat when it came to a cold weather city with an outdoor stadium getting a Super Bowl.

I think it's a good thing. It opens the door for other potential cities that had zero chance before today.

Front runners for me are Seattle and Denver, followed by Chicago and Washington D.C., and I think Boston would also have some chance to get one in the future.

Seattle in my mind would be a great place for a Super Bowl. It's a beautiful city that offers a ton of things to do within a relatively short radius. It also has mild winters and hardly ever snows. Worst case is the game gets played in 45 degrees with rain.

GoBroncos DownUnder
05-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Bottom line is that this is a FINANCIAL decision.

Cold weather teams who need a new stadium, can now play the "we'll host the Super Bowl" card when looking for funding!
VERY smart move by ther NFL owners.

As for the fans who don't like the cold weather, **** them.

snowspot66
05-25-2010, 05:15 PM
It's not just about temperature. The Super Bowl is a 2+ week event that brings in millions of dollars. It's about being able to accomodate all of those people and providing entertainment for the party. I'm still surprised they ever played one in Detroit. New York was always in the drivers seat when it came to a cold weather city with an outdoor stadium getting a Super Bowl.

I think it's a good thing. It opens the door for other potential cities that had zero chance before today.

Front runners for me are Seattle and Denver, followed by Chicago and Washington D.C., and I think Boston would also have some chance to get one in the future.

Seattle in my mind would be a great place for a Super Bowl. It's a beautiful city that offers a ton of things to do within a relatively short radius. It also has mild winters and hardly ever snows. Worst case is the game gets played in 45 degrees with rain.

Seattle will never get it. Like you said. It's an event that spans weeks. Seattle can't guarantee a single dry day never mind two weeks. Unless they built it with a retractable roof like Safeco. But I don't remember that being the case.

I have a feeling Denver will be skipped for years if they do allow other cold weather cities to host.

colonelbeef
05-25-2010, 05:58 PM
why not spread it out to all 32 teams over a 32 year period (NY can host again in 18 years? Weather is part of the game and I know it sucks sitting in it for the price of tickets. However, for the city that hosts it is thanking the fans for their support, I live in the Detroit area and i wasn't going to go to the game unles Denver was in it (damn you Pittsburgh) but that week leading up to the game was a great week, even people who don't follow football were out and about. There was a ton of stuff to do. For people who say it's a weather thing, the Indy/Chi wasn't a bright sunny day. Heck most of us will never go to the game anyway so why should we complain where it's at?

Because many of the cities simply do not have the infrastructure necessary to deal with an event of that magnitude. Jacksonville and Tampa Bay were disasters in this regard.

Cities like Chicago and DC will have a shot though. Dunno about Denver, might be just a touch too small.

colonelbeef
05-25-2010, 05:59 PM

The main problem with having one in New England is the fact that the stadium is nearly an hour south of Boston, it would be more like having it in Providence than Boston.

Man-Goblin
05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Why, yes. Yes I did.

It doesn't matter anyway. By 2014 Tebow will be adept at slinging the rock in the snow.

IHaveALight
05-25-2010, 06:31 PM
It doesn't matter anyway. By 2014 Tebow will be adept at slinging the rock in the snow.

On Total Access tonight the last question was what team will play in the 2014 Super Bowl.
Mike Lombardi picked the Tim Tebow lead Broncos!
Dukes picked the Los Angeles Jaguars.

Kid A
05-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Never totally understood the no cold weather city thing. I mean, it's not like people avoid traveling to New York, Washington, Chicago, Denver, etc in the fall or winter. Yeah, you'd prefer the biggest game of the year have decent weather, but a little snow isn't going to hurt viewing numbers or the amount people will pay to be there. If this was a small league trying to sell tickets it would make sense. For the NFL it's just kind of silly.

ksBRONCOfan
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
I hope it turns out to be one of the most successful Super Bowls. The success would certainly help out all the other venues. It's BS that some venues get to host so frequently.