PDA

View Full Version : Using Social Media for your new small business

Dagmar
05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Ok, so a member of my family has started a franchise. It is a fledgling company with a few locations in the states, this is the 1st in CO. Has anyone any experience using Twitter, Facebook, Ping etc to get marketing going for a small business? I am a complete twitter novice, I donít even understand how those hashtags work. I have told him Iíll help him but was looking for some advice from seasoned users of said social media.

Obviously, real responses, comedy responses and outright abuse is encouraged.

http://wino4life.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/homer_the_new_fail_whale_by_edwheeler.jpg

Quoydogs
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I own a S.B. and I would not waste the money on those. Also I would not use Radio, T.V. either. Unless you have a huge name like Sears, Goodyear ect.... that kind of advertising gets you know where.

Spend your money on locals or something like Red Plum ect..

Just my two cents.

underrated29
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I own a S.B. and I would not waste the money on those. Also I would not use Radio, T.V. either. Unless you have a huge name like Sears, Goodyear ect.... that kind of advertising gets you know where.

Spend your money on locals or something like Red Plum ect..

Just my two cents.

whats a S.B?

I 100% agree with the advice you gave about the advertising.

Yes, FB, Twit etc are good ways of marketing. They are cheap/free and can be seen by millions. But unless the name is out there dont expect to see a whole lot come from it. But if you are going to use them, you need to stay consistent with them...IE-update atleas 5 times a week. Maybe even once a day. When it comes to online buyers they are like T-Rex. Their eye sight is based off movement. The more you update and keep things active and fresh the more likely you will be seen. As opposed to someone who updates just every now and then....Dont go overboard and do too much though.

Quoydogs
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
whats a S.B?

I 100% agree with the advice you gave about the advertising.

Yes, FB, Twit etc are good ways of marketing. They are cheap/free and can be seen by millions. But unless the name is out there dont expect to see a whole lot come from it. But if you are going to use them, you need to stay consistent with them...IE-update atleas 5 times a week. Maybe even once a day. When it comes to online buyers they are like T-Rex. Their eye sight is based off movement. The more you update and keep things active and fresh the more likely you will be seen. As opposed to someone who updates just every now and then....Dont go overboard and do too much though.
Small Business

bowtown
05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Ok, so a member of my family has started a franchise. It is a fledgling company with a few locations in the states, this is the 1st in CO. Has anyone any experience using Twitter, Facebook, Ping etc to get marketing going for a small business? I am a complete twitter novice, I donít even understand how those hashtags work. I have told him Iíll help him but was looking for some advice from seasoned users of said social media.

Obviously, real responses, comedy responses and outright abuse is encouraged.

http://wino4life.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/homer_the_new_fail_whale_by_edwheeler.jpg

Completely depends on your product and target consumers.

underrated29
05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Small Business

lol

I was thinking like sub way or something? SB- dam- It feels like a monday.

OABB
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
My advice would be to build your business with face to face customer to customer relationships and personal expriences. Social networking is best for displaying how interesting you think you are while others do the same about themslves.

Quoydogs
05-25-2010, 12:27 PM
My advice would be to build your business with face to face customer to customer relationships and personal expriences. Social networking is best for displaying how interesting you think you are while others do the same about themslves.

You could always try this.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=26646&stc=1&d=1274815670

bowtown
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM

This is totally false. Social marketing can be one of the most powerful and free tools at your disposal. When used properly it acts simultaneously as an incredible viral selling tool and a feedback tool, and a cheap development and testing. However, its success is completely dependent upon a number of factors, including product, target, and whether you actually have any idea what you are doing. Not to be utilizing any aspects of social media in your business-- big or small-- is a doing yourself a huge disservice.

Dagmar
05-25-2010, 01:10 PM
This wasn't the only route we are using, this is the part that I am unfamiliar with.

And Quoydogs, Twitter, Facebook etc are free. So we won't be wasting money, the most I'll waste is time.

I was just wondering if this was an area had any experience in using 'tis all, I am sure there are a few out there with a business.

underrated29
05-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I was just wondering if this was an area had any experience in using 'tis all, I am sure there are a few out there with a business.

Like I said they are good. But you have to stay current with them. No stagnation. And you will pick up how to work them quickly. Obviously, they are not a primary source of advertising or whatever your goals are for them. But they are very useful tools.

If you find a way that works well for you. They can be like the steve breaston of the cardinals. Obviously, fitz and boldin come first, but breaston still had almost 1k yards (or whatever he had) and 5+ tds. Not bad from a #3.

bowtown
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Like I said they are good. But you have to stay current with them. No stagnation. And you will pick up how to work them quickly. Obviously, they are not a primary source of advertising or whatever your goals are for them. But they are very useful tools.

If you find a way that works well for you. They can be like the steve breaston of the cardinals. Obviously, fitz and boldin come first, but breaston still had almost 1k yards (or whatever he had) and 5+ tds. Not bad from a #3.

Exactly, it is important to figure out some goals you want to achieve with social marketing and work towards those. Are you using it to increase your brand recognition? Are you using it to stay in touch with your customers? Are you using it for feedback on your products or R and D, are you using it to get special offers out there, are you trying to use it to attract new customers? Your goals will totally drive which of the tools you use and how you go about using them, but if you just kind of go out there and create a facebook page and a twitter account and don't really have any direct purpose for it or measurable goals, then it's going to fall on its face. It's like any other marketing campaign, if it doesn't have focus then it won't do anything for you.

If you really don't have any experience with it, you would be wise to find a social marketing consultant to help you get things started up. They won't be free, but they will really help you define what you want out of social marketing and help you do the right things to achieve it.

I also recommend just subscribing to Mashable.com, gigaom.com, as well as any other social media blogs you can find. They will often have great tips and studies on how best to incorporate social media in your business.

Hope that helps a little.

Dagmar
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Exactly, it is important to figure out some goals you want to achieve with social marketing and work towards those. Are you using it to increase your brand recognition? Are you using it to stay in touch with your customers? Are you using it for feedback on your products or R and D, are you using it to get special offers out there, are you trying to use it to attract new customers? Your goals will totally drive which of the tools you use and how you go about using them, but if you just kind of go out there and create a facebook page and a twitter account and don't really have any direct purpose for it or measurable goals, then it's going to fall on its face. It's like any other marketing campaign, if it doesn't have focus then it won't do anything for you.

If you really don't have any experience with it, you would be wise to find a social marketing consultant to help you get things started up. They won't be free, but they will really help you define what you want out of social marketing and help you do the right things to achieve it.

I also recommend just subscribing to Mashable.com, gigaom.com, as well as any other social media blogs you can find. They will often have great tips and studies on how best to incorporate social media in your business.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks bro, any advice is fantastic.

BroncoBuff
05-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Funny you say this, I was just talking with a friend about what seems to me an under-utilization of Facebook by business.

Yes, you can be a "fan" of Starbucks, but their page doesn't promote or inform much, and it doesn't draw people in.

So, great idea imo ... keep things current like underrated says, and don't be too pushy.

Dagmar
05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Funny you say this, I was just talking with a friend about what seems to me an under-utilization of Facebook by business.

Yes, you can be a "fan" of Starbucks, but their page doesn't promote or inform much, and it doesn't draw people in.

So, great idea imo ... keep things current like underrated says, and don't be too pushy.

Thanks sir. The idea with twitter is for example, you tweet "the 1st five people to respond get $25 off their cleaning" (it's an environmentally friendly cleaning service). Trying to think of other places other than facebook/twitter...

bowtown
05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks sir. The idea with twitter is for example, you tweet "the 1st five people to respond get $25 off their cleaning" (it's an environmentally friendly cleaning service). Trying to think of other places other than facebook/twitter...

Better yet, create a newsletter on facebook where you list some freebie "Green Tips" for people, then link to it on twitter, and use the contest by saying, ideas of your own? Top 5 tips get 20% off. That's how you get a dialogue going with your customer base. Then they remember you, and actually feel like they have interacted with you without doing anything at all.

But that also means that you have to have a community of subscribers already in place. That's no easy feat. First step is to put your twitter/facebook account on your website and all other marketing materials you give out. Look for some other facebook groups or public forums that are similar to your message and join the community and discussion. You are def in the "Mom blogger" arena too. Go out and find some mom blogs. Pitch your business to them in private, maybe offer to give them and their readers a discount if they endorse you. They aren't technically supposed to do that anymore but most still do.

Look for iphone apps that do daily discounts for you area and get in with them. I don't know any off the top of my head but there are a million "deal" apps out there. Research them a little.

It's all good stuff. the hardest thing right off the bat is for you to build a following, especially if you are just offering discounts or talking only business. You have to give people a reason to want to interact ith your brand and company. That's what social networking is great for, and best of all it's very cheap... BUT it does take a lot of time, effort and creativity.

Sounds like you have a cool idea for a company though. Best of luck!