PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Bronco Line Coach Stan Jones dies

footstepsfrom#27
05-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Apologies if this has been posted already...he was a HOF guy to boot.

RIP Stan...

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7018778854

The Joker
05-25-2010, 01:52 AM
:(

rip

watermock
05-25-2010, 03:22 AM

Funny how that Saban guy keeps popping out.

Didn't mock mention him as a head coach?

Kaylore
05-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Funny how that Saban guy keeps popping out.

Didn't mock mention him as a head coach?

No, you didn't mention Lou Saban as a head coach.

The Moops
05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
HOF player, tremendous coach, and great person.

Remember he was d-line coach of the Broncos in the Saban era and put together one of the most feared lines in the league . . . Rich Tombstone Jackson, Paul Smith, Lyle Alzado, Dave Costa, Pete Duranko . . .

I had the pleasure of interviewing him about a year ago regarding Floyd Little.

Here's just a snippet of what he said . . .

“Not only was he an amazing player, Floyd was a great leader. We named him captain as a rookie. That’s how impressive his leadership was, and he remained captain every year. He kept this team together. When I came out here in 1967, this team was a hodge-podge of people. All kinds of guys released from NFL teams. Guys no one wanted. Guys I didn’t even think were still playing.

“Floyd was the first #1 pick, I think, we ever signed. We drafted a lot of great ball players, like Dick Butkus, Merlin Olsen that we were never able to sign. Floyd was our first premier guy that we were able to sign, and he proved to be a super choice.

“When I came out in ’67, we weren’t even sure we would stay in Denver. They thought maybe we would go to Birmingham or somewhere else. The owners got together with investors to improve the stadium and get fans interested. I was like, ‘Why did I ever come out here!’

“Floyd became the difference-maker that kept us in Denver. He literally saved the Broncos from extinction. He was the catalyst that got the fans to vote to expand the stadium. One of the first publicity shots was Floyd on a white horse. People loved it. He really wanted to help keep the Broncos in Denver, so he went out and met the fans."

RIP to a tremendous player and and even greater person.

Dagmar
05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
No, you didn't mention Lou Saban as a head coach.

:notworthy

Durango
05-25-2010, 10:55 PM
HOF player, tremendous coach, and great person.

Remember he was d-line coach of the Broncos in the Saban era and put together one of the most feared lines in the league . . . Rich Tombstone Jackson, Paul Smith, Lyle Alzado, Dave Costa, Pete Duranko . . .

I had the pleasure of interviewing him about a year ago regarding Floyd Little.

Here's just a snippet of what he said . . .

“Not only was he an amazing player, Floyd was a great leader. We named him captain as a rookie. That’s how impressive his leadership was, and he remained captain every year. He kept this team together. When I came out here in 1967, this team was a hodge-podge of people. All kinds of guys released from NFL teams. Guys no one wanted. Guys I didn’t even think were still playing.

“Floyd was the first #1 pick, I think, we ever signed. We drafted a lot of great ball players, like Dick Butkus, Merlin Olsen that we were never able to sign. Floyd was our first premier guy that we were able to sign, and he proved to be a super choice.

“When I came out in ’67, we weren’t even sure we would stay in Denver. They thought maybe we would go to Birmingham or somewhere else. The owners got together with investors to improve the stadium and get fans interested. I was like, ‘Why did I ever come out here!’

“Floyd became the difference-maker that kept us in Denver. He literally saved the Broncos from extinction. He was the catalyst that got the fans to vote to expand the stadium. One of the first publicity shots was Floyd on a white horse. People loved it. He really wanted to help keep the Broncos in Denver, so he went out and met the fans."

RIP to a tremendous player and and even greater person.

Wow. Some great insight there. I'm probably wrong, but I thought the residency of the Broncos was pretty much settled in 1967, but I would defer to Stan Jones, obviously.

Great player, who once told a reporter in a story I read; "Brute strength beats style any day of the week" in a reference to Joe Namath after a surprising Bronco upset of the eventual Super Bowl champions in 1968 during which Paul Costa 'belly-sacked' Namath with a gut shot shown in a full page picture in Life Magazine.

strafen
05-25-2010, 11:57 PM
R.I.P
One of my favorite coaches. Hard-nose and all business!

broncocalijohn
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
check out opinion posts on the link. Connection to the Mane!

B-Love
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
http://gradishar4hof.com/home.aspx

Check out the Randy Gradishar tribute video which has alot of good video praise towards Gradishar from Stan Jones. You could just tell from his speaking voice, he was All Man.

RIP Tough Guy!

The Moops
05-28-2010, 04:35 AM
If you ever get the chance to read Lyle Alzado's 1978 book with SI's Paul Zimmerman . . . Lyle LOVED Stan Jones. There's some great stuff in there.

Think it's called something Lyle Alzado and the Amazing Denver Broncos or something like that . . .

The Moops
05-30-2010, 07:53 PM
It's really sad when someone who impacted so many Broncos as a coach and HOFer during 2 different eras elicits just 10-11 posts on the mane after his passing . . .

C'mon guys . . .

strafen
05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
It's really sad when someone who impacted so many Broncos as a coach and HOFer during 2 different eras elicits just 10-11 posts on the mane after his passing . . .

C'mon guys . . .It may be because there's no potential for drama. It's my guess...

InMyCornerOfTheWorld
01-29-2011, 06:36 PM
If you ever get the chance to read Lyle Alzado's 1978 book with SI's Paul Zimmerman . . . Lyle LOVED Stan Jones. There's some great stuff in there.

Think it's called something Lyle Alzado and the Amazing Denver Broncos or something like that . . .

The main title is called "Mile High" and it's on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mile-High-Lyle-Alzado-Story-Paul-Zimmerman-1978-PBO-/370177848849?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item563051b611

InMyCornerOfTheWorld
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
http://gradishar4hof.com/home.aspx

Check out the Randy Gradishar tribute video which has alot of good video praise towards Gradishar from Stan Jones. You could just tell from his speaking voice, he was All Man.

RIP Tough Guy!

Great website! The tribute video with the memorabilia is terrific, as was the photo video. Randy belongs in the Hall--now.

broncocalijohn
01-29-2011, 10:34 PM
You sure bump some old threads. I am reading it thinking , "Wait, I know he died already!" You know you can just read these old threads and not have to make a comment. You are confusing me.

InMyCornerOfTheWorld
01-29-2011, 10:44 PM
You sure bump some old threads. I am reading it thinking , "Wait, I know he died already!" You know you can just read these old threads and not have to make a comment. You are confusing me.

I found this thread because of the Gradishar link, which I discovered for the first time tonight. I don't know what the confusion is all about.

IHaveALight
01-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Don't listen to him. I like your bumps, bump away.

bronco militia
01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
I love bumping old threads.....nice work

Los Broncos
01-30-2011, 10:33 PM
That's a cool item, I have Lyles book which is a good read.