PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever dropped a larger HD into an original Xbox?

Taco John
05-24-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm in the middle of the Turn your original Xbox into an XBMC media center (http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/transform-your-classic-xbox-into-a-killer-media-center-299809.php) hack. I've got the soft mod in, and now have FTP access to my Xbox. Once I did that, I loaded XBMC onto the thing, and confirmed that I could load our files into it (we've got a ton of baby videos, holy crap!). It works, and I'm good to go!

So now the hard part - dropping my 2TB drive into it.

Anyone here have any experience with this hack? There are a few forums I'm asking on, but it would be nice to hear from someone over here who has successfully hacked the xbox to upgrade the drive space.

theAPAOps5
05-24-2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/img/2010_04_20/nerd.jpg

This is you...... isn't it :)

RhymesayersDU
05-24-2010, 06:12 PM
No... This is him:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/columnpic/Paul_Rodriguez_USO.jpg

theAPAOps5
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I am glad you posted this. I am now in the process of getting the parts needed to do this!

Drek
05-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm in the middle of the Turn your original Xbox into an XBMC media center (http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/transform-your-classic-xbox-into-a-killer-media-center-299809.php) hack. I've got the soft mod in, and now have FTP access to my Xbox. Once I did that, I loaded XBMC onto the thing, and confirmed that I could load our files into it (we've got a ton of baby videos, holy crap!). It works, and I'm good to go!

So now the hard part - dropping my 2TB drive into it.

Anyone here have any experience with this hack? There are a few forums I'm asking on, but it would be nice to hear from someone over here who has successfully hacked the xbox to upgrade the drive space.

Haven't swapped the HD out myself, though I hear the biggest thing is to make sure it is in the correct state (unlocked versus locked).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the effort if you've got a 2TB you can network up instead. XBMC will see networked drives just fine and you can then have everything readily accessible on every PC and media device in your home, not just tied to one system.

nadwiggins
05-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I've done it a few times although its been awhile. I've done both the softmod and modchip while adding a bigger hd with both. If I remember the last time I did the softmod it was way eaiser than in the past. What are your questions?

Taco John
05-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I've done it a few times although its been awhile. I've done both the softmod and modchip while adding a bigger hd with both. If I remember the last time I did the softmod it was way eaiser than in the past. What are your questions?

What drive letters did you assign? Did it matter? Did you use Xpartition? Did you have any troubles with it?

Taco John
05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Haven't swapped the HD out myself, though I hear the biggest thing is to make sure it is in the correct state (unlocked versus locked).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the effort if you've got a 2TB you can network up instead. XBMC will see networked drives just fine and you can then have everything readily accessible on every PC and media device in your home, not just tied to one system.

I'm thinking seriously on this one, except that I also like the idea of being able to take the thing with us when we head to her parents house for weekends. Nice to have all the kids movies in one place.

nadwiggins
05-24-2010, 09:16 PM
I used the c for bootup , I used avalaunch but you can use whatever you like and it does matter because the softwear that you choose will dictate where your .exe is. Since you already can ftp you can see where it is. I used configmagic to lock unlock the harddrive and get the eeprom. Did you use an autoinstaller? The f drive I used for games movies and music. I don't know if the xbox will see all of your tb. It use to be able to only use 137gb but I've done up to 500gb never tried anymore than that. I never had any problems with it but I hear they can unsoftmod themselves and you would have to do it over again. I've never had to worry about messing up cause I could always just put the drive in my modded one and fix anything I tried that didn't work(since it had a flashed chip in it). Have fun with it and don't change to much with your origonal hdd since you have another that you want to use.

Taco John
05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Did you ever patch the BIOS? I'm learning that if I patch it to add LBA48 support, I should be able to use a large a hard drive as I wanted.

nadwiggins
05-24-2010, 09:31 PM
No I never had to since the softwear at the time (2003ish) supported bigger hdd. Its all about the softmod softwear Your using. (Sorry about spelling and punctuation I'm using my phone to post)

Taco John
05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Cool. I appreciate the insight. I'll be able to backtrack and check to see that I've got what I need. I hope I don't have to patch the BIOS.

Broncos4tw
05-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I dropped a larger HDD into a Tivo. Xbox is horrid!

nadwiggins
05-25-2010, 12:20 AM
No problem. Autoinstallers are by far the easiest to do and might have a hdd upgrade softwear (slayer I think does a good one). If you need anymore info I might be able to point you to some good websights for info among other things.

Taco John
05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Holy cow is this hack awesome! I haven't actually dropped the hard drive into the machine yet. I'm trying to decide whether or not to do it. I won't know until I get my new wireless game adapter to see how fast/slow it streams...

BUT! I just got the networking on it set up, and it's awesome. I'm currently able to stream from anywhere on my hard drive to the television through this thing. I can download video podcasts to watch on my television. I can download youtube videos to do the same. It's currently playing music off of my hard drive, with really cool visualizations on the screen.

If you have an old xbox just laying around, you should really take a look at this hack. It's amazing.