PDA

View Full Version : For Muscles, what is the alternative to steroids?

newsanchor
05-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I want to have strong muscles, but just not to look good.

I'm gonna be enlisting in the Army next year, and I need the strength to pass the physical exam, and I'm gonna be lifting some heavy artillery.

Also, I need the physical strength to kick butt and fight back. I've been confronted by jackasses on the street, and I feel weak enough to run away.

I'm not the steroid type, so along with eating right and exercising, what do you suggest?

I heard that creatine and whey protein are alternatives, but can you suggest anymore along with eating and exercising?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Lean proteins, be careful with sugar and salt, lots of veggies.

Whey protein no more than 30 minutes after workouts. You will see a difference almost immediately.

broncswin
05-23-2010, 04:04 PM
I have tried about everything but roids...ya creatine works, but is not that good on the body...I would feel like shait when I was done working out...I have found that eating right and using own weight force has been great on my body and I feel and look strong(Not huge by any means)...Pulls ups and push ups have done wonders for me, along with cardio. I used to lift heavy when I played college ball, but have since passed those days up and am just maintaining and staying fit...hope this helps.

extralife
05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
The alternative to steroids is not steroids. Pretty simple. Dunno why "better take some roids" is the first thing that comes to your mind.

Doggcow
05-23-2010, 04:12 PM
The alternative to steroids is not steroids. Pretty simple. Dunno why "better take some roids" is the first thing that comes to your mind.

rofl

newsanchor
05-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I know about the side effects of steroids, mental and physical.

Also, I know how it takes the fairness and fun away from important things, like passing the physical and competing in sports.

I was on the high school ski team, and I never took that s---t, nor did my coach suggest I do.

That is why I'm asking, so I can stay clean no matter what

Doggcow
05-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Oh, this annoying toll guy is still here?

Endy
05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Easy. Drink the blood of Ed Hochuli. Assuming it doesn't kill you (which it almost certainly will), you will not only immediately quadruple your muscle mass, but you will also be immortal. You will actually become an army of one.

newsanchor
05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
The A$$WIPE NFL Referee? Forget it!!!

elsid13
05-23-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm gonna be enlisting in the Army next year, and I need the strength to pass the physical exam, and I'm gonna be lifting some heavy artillery.

Also, I need the physical strength to kick butt and fight back. I've been confronted by jackasses on the street, and I feel weak enough to run away.

I'm not the steroid type, so along with eating right and exercising, what do you suggest?

I heard that creatine and whey protein are alternatives, but can you suggest anymore along with eating and exercising?

If you are joining the Army, go to the local recruiter office and get with their weekend fitness program. The military is looking for functional strength and not body builders.

First you need to be running every morning - 2 to 3 miles (yes I know the Army is revamping it PT program and dropping the 5k requirement, but it good start for recruits)

Second you need to start doing pull-up, every day. It will help when you hit basic, also 50 push-up and 100 sit-ups. Follow that by basic weight training 2 to 3 times a week. That will set you up.

newsanchor
05-23-2010, 04:28 PM
If you are joining the Army, go to the local recruiter office and get with their weekend fitness program. The military is looking for functional strength and not body builders.

First you need to be running every morning - 2 to 3 miles (yes I know the Army is revamping it PT program and dropping the 5k requirement, but it good start for recruits)

Second you need to start doing pull-up, every day. It will help when you hit basic, also 50 push-up and 100 sit-ups. Follow that by basic weight training 2 to 3 times a week. That will set you up.

I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I want to have the strength to kick ass, serve my country, and increase my manliness.

Face it! I'm a weak motherf----ker

tsiguy96
05-23-2010, 04:35 PM
hard work. seriously, go to the gym and give it everything youve got, no amount of supplements on this planet (aside from steroids) can make up for that.

newsanchor
05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
hard work. seriously, go to the gym and give it everything youve got, no amount of supplements on this planet (aside from steroids) can make up for that.

I know about taking in the amount of calories, and burning them off by lifting weights and cardio.

The steroid-substitute like whey protein and creatine will give me an extra boost, but naturally and real.

Hamrob
05-23-2010, 04:42 PM
It sounds like your young. When I joined the Marines back in the day...I was fast as hell and strong...but, I couldn't add the weight. That's just one's metabolism doing what it does. I evently put on weight by eating alot, taking protein and lifting heavy weight 3-5 reps. It took some time though. I remember getting out of boot camp and having no fear. 25yrs later...I'm still not afraid of too much!

Be patient...if you want to get big...you will. It has more to do with being dedicated to getting bigger and it doesn't always happen quickly.

Good luck!

tsiguy96
05-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I know about taking in the amount of calories, and burning them off by lifting weights and cardio.

The steroid-substitute like whey protein and creatine will give me an extra boost, but naturally and real.

whey and creatine arent steroid substitutes at all. one is protein which helps restore and repair muscles, the other is a volumizer, which in reality isnt going to give you HUGE gains.

Deuce
05-23-2010, 04:57 PM
For strength, squat, deadlift and bench, you can add other stuff if you want but focus on these three, lift heavy and you will be set. Obviously you need to be in good cardio shape too but I will let others chime in on that. Also focus on good nutrtition, its a hundred times more important than whey or creatine. Lots of protien, lots of veggies, lots of water.

OBF1
05-23-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I want to have the strength to kick ass, serve my country, and increase my manliness.

Face it! I'm a weak motherf----ker

Does not matter how strong you are, A 8 year old with a hand gun will put you down everytime. Sounds like working on street smarts and book smarts would do you alot more good.

Hartley
05-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Protein is an important supplement even if your not lifting, though you probably get enough through your diet anyway. Even so, it can help give you what you need to repair, go to wal-mart pick up some cheap stuff and take it after you work out. (dont worry about the creatine for now)

To be honest though, i have spent lots of money on supplements, they really don't do much. Ive also had plenty of success and gains when i wasn't taking anything either. So use them if you want, if nothing else they can be used as a placebo to get you excited about going to the gym, cause the hardest part about working out is doing it consistently. If you get nothing else out of this post just remember that the most important thing is not to give up. just keep at it even when you dont feel like it. You will get bigger and stronger when you stick with it :)

Quoydogs
05-23-2010, 05:35 PM
A combo of HGH, Protein and Creatine works pretty good.

Florida_Bronco
05-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Whey protein, creatine, glutamine and lots of time in the gym.

Cam07
05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
There's no magic involved with building strength. Just find a good workout that is suitable for your experience and eat right. Get your fruits, veggies and proteins. The supplements I would personally recommend are whey and casein protein. Take the whey immediately after your workout and in the morning after a workout and take casein before you go to bed.

Archer81
05-23-2010, 06:27 PM

This.

Functional strength is severely underrated. Go to the recruiter, work out with them. When my dad ran RS Pittsburgh (USMC) he would have potential recruits work out with the Marines on recruiting duty to get them in shape. Find out the minimum requirements for the army, and work to surpass them. My dad was actually upset because alot of the kids he was recruiting had a hard time with pullups and timed miles...they couldnt do them.

Run. Often.

:Broncos:

FireFly
05-23-2010, 06:32 PM

this.

just smash it at the gym.

can't afford a gym membership?

run. push ups. chin ups. sit ups. run. squats. lunges. run.

run every day, do the rest every second :thumbs:

FireFly
05-23-2010, 06:33 PM
there is NO substitute for hard work. There are no short cuts that are worth taking with this.

enjolras
05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Calories. LOTS of calories. During hypetrophy it takes me 4800 Calories minimum to build any muscle at all (at 30 years old). I suspect if I was more seriously working out at 18 it would have been closer to 6000.

strafen
05-23-2010, 07:10 PM

I heard that creatine and whey protein are alternatives, but can you suggest anymore along with eating and exercising?Join one of those LA Boxing Gyms.
They have program for athletes and law enforcement who want to pass their police physical exam as well as State Troopers exam.
I highly recommend it. They will get you in shape in about 3-4 months depending on the program...

Broncojef
05-23-2010, 09:03 PM
The guys who have trouble on the APFT are guys who don't workout and then run. I've seen alot of strong kids knockout their push-ups and sit-ups and then were so tired they would fail the run. Very important to conditiopn your body for the run after you physically exert yourself. If you go airborne or SF all you will do is run and lose tons of weight, most guys after the Q course look like skin and bones. Run, run and more run is my advice.

Lomax
05-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Calories. LOTS of calories. During hypetrophy it takes me 4800 Calories minimum to build any muscle at all (at 30 years old). I suspect if I was more seriously working out at 18 it would have been closer to 6000.

Yeah that's a great way to put on mass, but not so much functional strength. I used to do a 4500 suppliment and with a 4x per week workout regimen, the gains were insane. Put on 3 lbs a week (2lbs of muscle), but try doing that and then doing anything athletic besides lifting weights.

I recommend folks try to stay at their natural weight and build lean mass only. Whey protein and a healthy diet consisting of many small meals. Cardio and fitness regime. Building tons of mass is useless unless you're a bodybuilder or a football player.

tsiguy96
05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah that's a great way to put on mass, but not so much functional strength. I used to do a 4500 suppliment and with a 4x per week workout regimen, the gains were insane. Put on 3 lbs a week (2lbs of muscle), but try doing that and then doing anything athletic besides lifting weights.

I recommend folks try to stay at their natural weight and build lean mass only. Whey protein and a healthy diet consisting of many small meals. Cardio and fitness regime. Building tons of mass is useless unless you're a bodybuilder or a football player.

not possible.

Lomax
05-23-2010, 09:23 PM
not possible.

Have you done gainers? I assure you it's quite possible.

no-pseudo-fan
05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Run, run and run some more. See how long it takes to run 2 miles. Try to be under 15 minutes(at the least) before Basic. When you do push-ups and sit-ups, try to do them quickly but correctly and small reps to start, but many sets through out the day.

The reason you want to small reps in short periods of time, is because the push-up and sit-up part of the PT test is timed(2 minutes). You want to be able to knock them out quickly, because the longer you hold your body weight the closer you get to muscle failure. Do not take your time. Try 25 push-ups in 30 secs. Do that thru out the day. Then kick it up to 45 or 50 in a minute, etc. The same goes for sit-ups.

But running is going to be the biggest challenge. I have taken that first PT in Basic, and the run is not pretty. Most are choking and falling out. Get use to running long periods of time, but run at a good pace at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Good luck. One more piece of advice, don't raise your hand when they ask for volunteers.

tsiguy96
05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Have you done gainers? I assure you it's quite possible.

it wasnt 2lbs of muscle per week.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm
http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/trainingT18.html

just something to consider, i dont think you realize how much 2lbs of muscle is.

Lomax
05-23-2010, 09:53 PM
it wasnt 2lbs of muscle per week.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm
http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/trainingT18.html

just something to consider, i dont think you realize how much 2lbs of muscle is.

I'll take your word for it. At the time, I read that you put on 1 lb of fat for 2 lbs of muscle when lifting and on gainers, and my gains were most definitely 3 lbs per week. Considering my strength gains and body shape/physique, either I gained 2 lbs of muscle or 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of a very hard muscle-like substance. It was definitely not a majority of fat I can tell you that.

I was never able to crack 162 and in 3 months i was around 190 with my max bench jumping around 25%. So if you're saying I did all that with 9 pounds of muscle, like I said, I'll take your word for it.

Either way, it's not a good way to get functional strength, though it's an excellent way to gain workout strength and a substance that looks, feels, and behaves like muscle mass, very quickly.

Jason7730
05-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Run, run and run some more. See how long it takes to run 2 miles. Try to be under 15 minutes(at the least) before Basic. When you do push-ups and sit-ups, try to do them quickly but correctly and small reps to start, but many sets through out the day.

The reason you want to small reps in short periods of time, is because the push-up and sit-up part of the PT test is timed(2 minutes). You want to be able to knock them out quickly, because the longer you hold your body weight the closer you get to muscle failure. Do not take your time. Try 25 push-ups in 30 secs. Do that thru out the day. Then kick it up to 45 or 50 in a minute, etc. The same goes for sit-ups.

But running is going to be the biggest challenge. I have taken that first PT in Basic, and the run is not pretty. Most are choking and falling out. Get use to running long periods of time, but run at a good pace at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Good luck. One more piece of advice, don't raise your hand when they ask for volunteers.

I agree 100%, from someone who has been in the same shoes..

Chris
05-24-2010, 06:42 AM

Remember that strength and size are two different things you train for. As a soldier, strength seems like it would be much more beneficial. Size is just aesthetic so unless you play a sport like football it could actually slow you down.

Hogan11
05-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Creatine, Glutamine, a fat burner and then superset workouts three out of five days a week.

That'll get you through for quite awhile, till you start tearing rotator cuffs and end up with hypertension, then doctors everywhere will tell you weight training is basically all over for you and direct you to start riding bikes or jogging instead.

But hey, living fast, dying young and leaving a good-looking corpse is what it's all about, so go nuts.

Rabb
05-24-2010, 06:56 AM
just go join the Air Force

MileHighMagic
05-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Steroids get a bad rap. If taken properly, they are a wonderful drug.

Consistency and proper diet are the key to fitness gains.

kamakazi_kal
05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I like NOexplode and Purple Wraith. I used it at the gym and before jiu-jitsu. Great combo.

hookemhess
05-24-2010, 08:07 AM
This thread has fail all over it. Beginning with the title.

Here is a shocker---if you want to build muscle: work out and eat healthy. Done & done.

tsiguy96
05-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Remember that strength and size are two different things you train for. As a soldier, strength seems like it would be much more beneficial. Size is just aesthetic so unless you play a sport like football it could actually slow you down.

hard work in the gym is a basic concept that applies to everything, from swimmers and other sports where pure mass is a BAD thing to professional bodybuilders. if you go in and half ass your work, you wont get results. intensity may be the most important factor in training.

kamakazi_kal
05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
hard work in the gym is a basic concept that applies to everything, from swimmers and other sports where pure mass is a BAD thing to professional bodybuilders. if you go in and half ass your work, you wont get results. intensity may be the most important factor in training.

WOW ..... I agree with you on something. It must be chilly in hell.

hades
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Spinach, eat lots of spinach

OABB
05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Newsanchor, You needn't worry about impressing mere mortals with physical prowess. You are "scoop" and even if you are physically weak, you are the mountaintop of awesomness. Don't tussle with peasants, they are not worth your time. You are here for a much greater purpose.

Bronco Yoda
05-24-2010, 12:56 PM
two words... inflatable lobsters

yerner
05-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Punching yourself in the balls once daily is a well known way to boost testosterone levels. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Cito Pelon
05-24-2010, 02:51 PM
This is Dortoh again.

newsanchor
05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Newsanchor, You needn't worry about impressing mere mortals with physical prowess. You are "scoop" and even if you are physically weak, you are the mountaintop of awesomness. Don't tussle with peasants, they are not worth your time. You are here for a much greater purpose.

If I'm the mountaintop of awesomeness, how come you have been trash-talking my posts, even the MMA Inside Scoop prediction show?

OABB
05-24-2010, 06:26 PM
If I'm the mountaintop of awesomeness, how come you have been trash-talking my posts, even the MMA Inside Scoop prediction show?

It was early on in my arc. I wish that I could go back in time and undo the trashing to you.

Chris
05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Punching yourself in the balls once daily is a well known way to boost testosterone levels. Try it out and let me know what you think.

I laughed out loud. Literally.

ZONA
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I have tried about everything but roids...ya creatine works, but is not that good on the body...I would feel like shait when I was done working out...I have found that eating right and using own weight force has been great on my body and I feel and look strong(Not huge by any means)...Pulls ups and push ups have done wonders for me, along with cardio. I used to lift heavy when I played college ball, but have since passed those days up and am just maintaining and staying fit...hope this helps.

Not good on the body? Your body makes creatine naturally so I wouldn't say it's hard on the body. You should cycle creatine yes. I go 2 months on and 1 month off. And I use KreAlkaline, a ph buffered creatine so your body absorbs it much easier and you take far less. And while it does volumize some, it also helps create ATP and give you more energy in your workouts. I notice it for sure.

But just as everybody else is saying, just work out hard and eat right. You'll start getting gains. Don't look for incredible growth right away though. If you're soft, your body is going to lean up first before it starts stacking the muscle on.

And the added benefit is that you will shed fat also. I hardly do any cardio on bikes or anything like that. But I work out very hard for like 40 minutes 6 times a week and I'm breathing heavy almost the whole time. I've dropped 20 pounds of fat in 10 months eating good and just lifting weights. When I started out 10 months ago I could only manage to workout with 50 pounders on dumbell press and now I grab 90's so I'm totally stoked and it keeps you going back.

Good luck dude - with the lifting and the military thing.

Hulamau
05-24-2010, 10:08 PM
A combo of HGH, Protein and Creatine works pretty good.

Just make sure your endogenous testosterone is in a decent range as well as your cortisol and adrenal metabolites on 24 hour urine test before taking HGH, assuming you expect and want safe and sustained results.

Most young people under 35 shouldn't need HGH or testosterone supplementation for that matter .... or at least it used to be that way before the onslaught of fake food with high processed carbs/ overdose on high fructose corn syrup poison/ rampant environmental toxicity and stress monster life styles became almost universal and began to wreck havoc with the endocrine systems of Americans of all ages.

Now, alas, even some 25 year olds test out at under 300ng/dl total testosterone as well as very low free testosterone serum levels and have a hard time even getting .. and keeping ... any lead in the pencil at that prime age!

Ever notice how many real fatties under 40 are out there these days?!? Didnt use to be that way. Thanks to the good ole' crapola American Cheeto -Dorito - Moutain Dew diet for such a national nightmare.

After living in Europe for some years, whenever I come back periodically (as did last month) its always a bit of a shock just walking through a mall or going through an airport here.

A real crime and national tragedy in the making if you ask me, and a damn embrassing shame to boot.

Forskolin, Tribulus, zinc gluconate, boron and manganese can help naturally boost your own endogenous testosterone levels, which is always the best first step. Particularly, while you are young and have a functioning HPA axis.

Here is a product that will help build your strength (as well as libido) naturally and safely. BioForge from Biotivia. Best of luck on your efforts to get and stay in good shape.

http://www.biotivia.com/bioforgenaturalbodybuilding/ingredients.html

CoBear23
05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Just get yourself a kettle bell training refining of cleans & presses,swings, and snatches. That mixed with just an EAS protein shake took me from 265 to 215 and jacked my fitness level through the roof.

The U.S. Secert service test includes being able to perform 200 53lbs snatches in 10 min, my pb is 180 in 10. If you could smoke that you should be more than prepared for the what the military will throw at you.

tsiguy96
05-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Just make sure your endogenous testosterone is in a decent range as well as your cortisol and adrenal metabolites on 24 hour urine test before taking HGH, assuming you expect and want safe and sustained results.

Most young people under 35 shouldn't need HGH or testosterone supplementation for that matter .... or at least it used to be that way before the onslaught of fake food with high processed carbs/ overdose on high fructose corn syrup poison/ rampant environmental toxicity and stress monster life styles became almost universal and began to wreck havoc with the endocrine systems of Americans of all ages.

Now, alas, even some 25 year olds test out at under 300ng/dl total testosterone as well as very low free testosterone serum levels and have a hard time even getting .. and keeping ... any lead in the pencil at that prime age!

Ever notice how many real fatties under 40 are out there these days?!? Didnt use to be that way. Thanks to the good ole' crapola American Cheeto -Dorito - Moutain Dew diet for such a national nightmare.

After living in Europe for some years, whenever I come back periodically (as did last month) its always a bit of a shock just walking through a mall or going through an airport here.

A real crime and national tragedy in the making if you ask me, and a damn embrassing shame to boot.

Forskolin, Tribulus, zinc gluconate, boron and manganese can help naturally boost your own endogenous testosterone levels, which is always the best first step. Particularly, while you are young and have a functioning HPA axis.

Here is a product that will help build your strength (as well as libido) naturally and safely. BioForge from Biotivia. Best of luck on your efforts to get and stay in good shape.

http://www.biotivia.com/bioforgenaturalbodybuilding/ingredients.html

id really, really love to see some evidence of this.

newsanchor
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
On the Mayo Clinic website, there is a Calorie Calculator
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/nu00598

First, it asks you how old you are, how tall are you, and how much you weigh: I'm 29 years old, I'm 5'-12" and I'm a normal weight of 150 pounds.

Second, it ask you how active you are: I'm very active by walking every day.

Once you have answered all those questions, it determines how many calories you should burn each day: My answer is 2,500 calories, which I should burn daily.

healthy foods and vitamins do have some calories + a little whey protein = a total of 2,500 calories needed to burn (add muscle mass).

Is all that true of false?

Doggcow
05-25-2010, 10:43 AM

First, it asks you how old you are, how tall are you, and how much you weigh: I'm 29 years old, I'm 5'-12" and I'm a normal weight of 150 pounds.

Once you have answered all those questions, it determines how many calories you should burn each day: My answer is 2,500 calories, which I should burn daily.

healthy foods and vitamins do have some calories + a little whey protein = a total of 2,500 calories needed to burn (add muscle mass).

As a broadcasting major, I'd like to note that not all of us are this retarded.

Flex Gunmetal
05-25-2010, 10:45 AM

Who are you?

lol @ 29, 6' & 150lbs.

Archer81
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I sense shenanigans...

:Broncos: