PDA

View Full Version : OT - Entertainment for the Mane physics freaks

Ugly Duck
05-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Thought Uber & that type would enjoy this....Thats Richard Feynman on drums:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGK84Poeynk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGK84Poeynk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

broncosteven
05-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Feynman was insane. He led a double life because he thought it would be interesting thing to do while on the road for speaking engagements.

I read one of his books but I thought he was an A-hole and a jerk. He was a very smart person but was a real douche. Maybe it had something to do with the death of his 1st wife.

The movie "Infinity" didn't help change my impression of him. It was an Ok film. He was very very smart though...

Houshyamama
05-23-2010, 04:50 PM
What's amazing to me is every atom in my body that is not hydrogen was created inside a star billions and BILLIONS of years ago, before this solar system even existed. I am LITERALLY made of the remnants of dying stars. So while I will never travel to other stars, my body as actually already been there.

Tombstone RJ
05-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Thought Uber & that type would enjoy this....Thats Richard Feynman on drums:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGK84Poeynk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGK84Poeynk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I grew up watching Cosmos on PBS, really fantastic stuff. Sagan really was a master communicator.

broncosteven
05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I grew up watching Cosmos on PBS, really fantastic stuff. Sagan really was a master communicator.

Plus they used Vangelis for some of the back ground music Along with classics by Mozart, Stravinsky among others.

Ugly Duck
05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Feynman was insane. He led a double life because he thought it would be interesting thing to do while on the road for speaking engagements. I read one of his books but I thought he was an A-hole and a jerk. He was a very smart person but was a real douche.

Interesting that our reactions are so opposite... he's my favorite guy of all time. But then... I like the Raiders, you like the Broncos & that's pretty dang opposite as well...

UberBroncoMan
05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I did indeed enjoy this. Aside from the cool quotes and images, the piano was really good in some parts and the drum sampling was a great idea. I'm not the biggest fan of Autotune + Melodyne, but it pretty much has to be done for these kinds of songs.

Gob
05-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Interesting that our reactions are so opposite... he's my favorite guy of all time. But then... I like the Raiders, you like the Broncos & that's pretty dang opposite as well...

I am with you, Feynman is by far my favorite. He does come off a little creepy in some of his stories about himself, but he was always a little F.O.S. on those stories. I don't think he gave women much respect, unfortunately. The stories others tell about him give him a much different image, though. I have read through some of his correspondence, and while he could be an a-hole to intellectuals and the pretentious, he spent a lot of time helping those he thought were really trying to understand, including cranks and kids. I think his philosophy of science was by far the best, which is funny since that is the last thing he would want to be known for.

broncosteven
05-24-2010, 11:10 AM

I saw an episode of nova on him just before he died and he and his assitant were banging on bongos while his wife brought them drinks and he looked real energitic and a fun guy to be around. He really did a lot to bring closure to the Challanger disaster.

When I got back persuing NASA bio's and reading more about science stuff I picked up one of his books really looking forward to the read and he was just a total prick. Maybe it was a smokescreen so his work would be seperated from him as a man. Maybe he knew those that knew him would know the real Richard but the books are his legacy now.

Kaylore
05-24-2010, 11:17 AM

I'm re-watching them now. About half done. They're on netflix instant watch, FYI.