PDA

View Full Version : OT: My PS3

maher_tyler
05-21-2010, 06:32 PM
My PS3 got the "YLOD" I have fixed it with the Thermal Compound 3 times now..it'll work for a bit and then take a **** again! Is there anyway i can transfer all my data like my PSN account info, all my games i've downlaoded etc onto a external hard drive or thumb drive and then transfer all that onto a new PS3??

theAPAOps5
05-21-2010, 06:38 PM
What is YLOD? Yellow Light of Death?

Doggcow
05-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Hahaha, where are the xbox bashers that say PS3s never have problems and Xboxs die 30 seconds after pulling them out of the box?

(I own all 3 systems btw, playing Demon's Souls now)

Archer81
05-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Hahaha, where are the xbox bashers that say PS3s never have problems and Xboxs die 30 seconds after pulling them out of the box?

I have had my PS3 for 3 years. No problems. My friend bought an Xbox360 the same day I got my PS3. He's replaced it twice.

As for the OP, it sounds like there is a problem with the laser that reads the disks.

:Broncos:

Drek
05-21-2010, 07:20 PM

You'd have a point if the lifetime failure rates on the two systems wasn't so massively apart.

PS3's failure rate is somewhere around 5%, acceptable for most consumer electronics.

The 360's failure rate was anywhere from 25-40% for the first year and a half of its existence and is only now getting down close to the single digits with newer systems, with continued failure of older systems keeping that number shockingly high for any consumer product.

There is a reason MS started fixing RROD errors for free. They where heading off a class action lawsuit and nothing more.

It happens to every system that looks to leapfrog the competition out of the gate. No different from the PS2's dirty disc error issues.

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 07:54 PM
To the op, yes, you can. Here's the link I found, check it out...explains it in pretty solid detail.

Good luck!

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/ps3_315_update/index.htm

JLesSPE
05-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I've had the same issue twice. The second time I spent a bit more time trying to re-flow the solder. I also read in quite a few places that having your ps3 vertical will help to allow the hot air to move out. So with my PS3 vertical and the better job of solder re-flowing it's worked fine ever since. The first time it lasted 2 months and knock on wood I'm at 7 with no issues.

Oh and its very easy to move your stuff to a hard drive. There is a data backup utility on the XMB and it'll move everything saved on the internal hard drive to whatever storage device you specify. The PSN stuff is saved on their servers so you can access that from your new PS3 should you decide to go that route

Popps
05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Macs suck! Steve Jobs is a fascist!!

Wait... wrong thread.

Los Broncos
05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I have had my PS3 for 3 years. No problems. My friend bought an Xbox360 the same day I got my PS3. He's replaced it twice.

As for the OP, it sounds like there is a problem with the laser that reads the disks.

Same here no problems, but I really only use it for movies anymore.

LRtagger
05-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Can't you just remove the HD from your PS3 and place it into a new system without having to transfer files with a thumb drive?

El Guapo
05-22-2010, 06:25 AM

I've had 3 PS3's and 2 360's. Currently only have a working 360 at the moment...

HILife
05-22-2010, 08:24 AM
My first xbox 360 RROD on me. I'm on my second one runnig the jasper setup. Runs a lot cooler and is going strong. Thinking about getting a PS3 for the blueray and a few of the games. Defiantly want Metal Gear

HILife
05-22-2010, 08:28 AM
You'd have a point if the lifetime failure rates on the two systems wasn't so massively apart.

PS3's failure rate is somewhere around 5%, acceptable for most consumer electronics.

The 360's failure rate was anywhere from 25-40% for the first year and a half of its existence and is only now getting down close to the single digits with newer systems, with continued failure of older systems keeping that number shockingly high for any consumer product.

There is a reason MS started fixing RROD errors for free. They where heading off a class action lawsuit and nothing more.

It happens to every system that looks to leapfrog the competition out of the gate. No different from the PS2's dirty disc error issues.

I will NEVER EVER buy a first gen Microsoft anything ever again.

Broncoman13
05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
My PS3 got the "YLOD" I have fixed it with the Thermal Compound 3 times now..it'll work for a bit and then take a **** again! Is there anyway i can transfer all my data like my PSN account info, all my games i've downlaoded etc onto a external hard drive or thumb drive and then transfer all that onto a new PS3??

If you look on Craigslist in your area you're bound to find a bunch of people that fix games systems for around $50.

Archer81
05-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Can't you just remove the HD from your PS3 and place it into a new system without having to transfer files with a thumb drive?

Yes. But you have to be very careful. For Christmas this past year a friend of mine got a 500gb hd for his PS3. They followed online instructions and its humming along fine.

maher_tyler
05-22-2010, 04:59 PM
I've had the same issue twice. The second time I spent a bit more time trying to re-flow the solder. I also read in quite a few places that having your ps3 vertical will help to allow the hot air to move out. So with my PS3 vertical and the better job of solder re-flowing it's worked fine ever since. The first time it lasted 2 months and knock on wood I'm at 7 with no issues.

Oh and its very easy to move your stuff to a hard drive. There is a data backup utility on the XMB and it'll move everything saved on the internal hard drive to whatever storage device you specify. The PSN stuff is saved on their servers so you can access that from your new PS3 should you decide to go that route

Cool..thanks! Thats prolly what i'll do, i'm tired of fixing it. 3 times total! I've had it for over 2 years. The mistake i made was having it in an inclosed area so it wasn't getting proper ventalation for over a year. I doubt its a faulty PS and more because i did that than anything. Thanks for all the info!

broncosteven
07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I just got the Blinking red light of death tonight. Was watching a marginal DVD (We need to talk about Kevin) when the system powered down the started blinking red.

Anyone else have this or is there a better word search I should use to find the fix?

I am not going to do the thermal replacement thingy, I am cool replacing the PS but I would be pissed if the issue was the HD and not PS/ PLus I would still have to wait to get the replacement PS.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Archer81
07-02-2012, 12:51 AM
I bought a new PS3 in June, 2011. You are able to transfer data from the old one to the new. Involves the internet ports being connected between both PS3's. Moved all my saved files, PSN games and trophy info.

Nifty feature to have. Because if I had to buy ME2 over again, I would have snapped.

Steven, you got a blinking red light on the PS3?

Willynowei
07-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Xbox 360 failure rate happened because Microsoft was cheap with the heatsinks, Sony built the more expensive system and it is definitely sturdier.

I own both and despite light usage, my xbox was replaced twice while the PS3 has never had a problem. And i use the PS3 a lot more because of blu-ray movies.

If you look at my post history I'm a huge MS supporter, but the 360's hardware was a big fail. They did win this generation and proved that launch time is more important than hardware quality though.

Requiem
07-02-2012, 05:55 AM
After selling my 360 (one of three I had to have because they sucked and died), picked up a PS3 with Skyrim on Saturday. Oh yeah. :)

maher_tyler
07-02-2012, 07:18 AM
I just got the Blinking red light of death tonight. Was watching a marginal DVD (We need to talk about Kevin) when the system powered down the started blinking red.

Anyone else have this or is there a better word search I should use to find the fix?

I am not going to do the thermal replacement thingy, I am cool replacing the PS but I would be pissed if the issue was the HD and not PS/ PLus I would still have to wait to get the replacement PS.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Never heard of it blinking red before. On my original version PS3, i would try to turn it on, it'd power up for maybe 10 seconds, beep 3 times shut off and the yellow light would start flashing..something like that. I eventually went and bought a new PS3. Got tired of taking the old one completely apart etc. Everything i needed was saved to PSN.

broncosteven
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I bought a new PS3 in June, 2011. You are able to transfer data from the old one to the new. Involves the internet ports being connected between both PS3's. Moved all my saved files, PSN games and trophy info.

Nifty feature to have. Because if I had to buy ME2 over again, I would have snapped.

Steven, you got a blinking red light on the PS3?

Yep, I guess it is yellow 1st then red.

I have been searching around and it could be anything from dust, to a HD, to PS, to thermal goo.

I figured I would open the case and see if there is dust inside and if that doesn't fix it I will send it out. If I had access to a PS local I would swap that out but I don't want to throw money at parts if I am not sure what the issue is.

maher_tyler
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Yep, I guess it is yellow 1st then red.

I have been searching around and it could be anything from dust, to a HD, to PS, to thermal goo.

I figured I would open the case and see if there is dust inside and if that doesn't fix it I will send it out. If I had access to a PS local I would swap that out but I don't want to throw money at parts if I am not sure what the issue is.

Mine was the thermal glue...the glue is expensive and i got tired of taking it apart and putting new glue on. If I had allowed enough room for it to properly vent, this may have never happened to mine. Is yours the new or old version?

Ironlung
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I got my ps3 the day it came out (60gb that plays ps2 games) & haven't had a problem yet.

Thats watching countless blu rays and logging tons of hours on all call of duty games.

broncosteven
07-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Mine was the thermal glue...the glue is expensive and i got tired of taking it apart and putting new glue on. If I had allowed enough room for it to properly vent, this may have never happened to mine. Is yours the new or old version?

Mine is the 80 gig version.

I opened it blew the dust out and took out the DVD but it still won't boot. I am going to take it in. Now I can't get the last screw that holds the cover back in, I must have stripped it somehow even though I have the right hex screwdriver!

Chris
07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Get Sony to replace it. My first PS3 died within a few weeks of owning it.

Jay3
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
My PS3 is going strong after a few years (can't really remember when I got it -- not quite launch but it was years ago, maybe 2008).

I think I'll be able to make it to a next gen console.

Archer81
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
My old PS3 stopped reading game discs. Considering you can get most PS3 games from the PSN, I gave it to my brother, bought a new one.

All is happy in maragaritaville.

Haters gonna hate...

Fedaykin
07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
It's possessed.

Kill it.

With fire.

broncosteven
07-02-2012, 08:00 PM

All is happy as Anderson Cooper at a Magic Mike screening

Haters gonna hate...

Fixed it for you

kamakazi_kal
07-02-2012, 09:26 PM
if its all heat related.

do you have it in an "enclosed" shelf on your entertainment center?

if so, I would suggest cutting a portion out of the backing of the center and put a server fan with a toggle switch to pull the heat out.

I burt out my gen 1 ps3 and frankly I was just baking it. this fixed it.

broncosteven
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
if its all heat related.

do you have it in an "enclosed" shelf on your entertainment center?

if so, I would suggest cutting a portion out of the backing of the center and put a server fan with a toggle switch to pull the heat out.

I burt out my gen 1 ps3 and frankly I was just baking it. this fixed it.

No I don't think it is heat, I keep it pretty clean in the case blowing out the dust as well as I could.

Plus I stand mine on it's side so it gets better ventalation(sp?)

I am hoping I can just run it over to my favorite repair shop off 355 and 75th in Darrien IL. That would be ideal!