05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/thompson-first-to-sign/

Br0nc0Buster
05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
hes the new jack williams, except he will actually be good on special teams

Popps
05-21-2010, 02:51 PM
hes the new jack williams, except he will actually be good on special teams

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/3/5/128807565179690126.jpg

bombay
05-21-2010, 02:53 PM
"He started his career as a Sporting News Pac-10 All-Freshman selection after starting in all 13 games, and finished it with 257 tackles, seven interceptions that he returned for 204 yards, two sacks, 20 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries — one of which he returned 15 yards for a touchdown against rival Stanford — and two punt returns that he brought back for 389 yards, including a 73-yard return for a touchdown. He was named Cal’s Most Valuable Back on defense for his junior season, when he tied a school record with 18 passes defensed, and held the title again as a senior in 2009."

From the article, a remarkable stat.

Br0nc0Buster
05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
"He started his career as a Sporting News Pac-10 All-Freshman selection after starting in all 13 games, and finished it with 257 tackles, seven interceptions that he returned for 204 yards, two sacks, 20 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries ó one of which he returned 15 yards for a touchdown against rival Stanford ó and two punt returns that he brought back for 389 yards, including a 73-yard return for a touchdown. He was named Calís Most Valuable Back on defense for his junior season, when he tied a school record with 18 passes defensed, and held the title again as a senior in 2009."

From the article, a remarkable stat.

ah yes I remember that game
I believe the caught the punt from the 9th row in the stands and proceeded to run it back from there

Kaylore
05-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Not thrilled with him, though for a late rounder I suppose he'll do. He's small and slow. Hope you prove me wrong, Syd'Quan.

Smilin Assassin
05-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Not thrilled with him, though for a late rounder I suppose he'll do. He's small and slow. Hope you prove me wrong, Syd'Quan.

From the highlight videos on him (yes I know, Highlights)...the kid looks like a baller.

Here's hopin he's the next Darrent Williams.

enjolras
05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
ah yes I remember that game
I believe the caught the punt from the 9th row in the stands and proceeded to run it back from there

No, your thinking of a different game. This was when he caught the ball at the goalline and the returned it by running a line-drill through the defense.

pdaddy
05-21-2010, 05:07 PM

How's he going to make the 53 man roster? Wouldn't he have to beat out Nate Jones? I see him headed to the practice squad at best.

no-pseudo-fan
05-21-2010, 05:54 PM
But he is Syd'Quan!!!!! Syd the kid. Come on you never know

400HZ
05-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Never having seen a guy play certainly doesn't stop people from forming strong opinions about them.

I figured he would be a 2nd or early 3rd round pick before the combine, and I was not alone in thinking that. I'm still surprised that a cover two team didn't grab him earlier than the 7th, but I guess there aren't really that many cover two teams left. He's still going to contribute to some NFL team. Players with his level of collegiate production and innate physicality almost always find a way to stick, elite measurables or not.

UberBroncoMan
05-21-2010, 08:05 PM
From the highlight videos on him (yes I know, Highlights)...the kid looks like a baller.

Here's hopin he's the next Darrent Williams.

Darrent was actually fast though. Syd is slow as **** for a CB.

I thin he's actually a better fit as a Bob Sanders safety. We're kind of loaded in that spot though... unless we toss Josh Barrett.

tsiguy96
05-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Darrent was actually fast though. Syd is slow as **** for a CB.

I thin he's actually a better fit as a Bob Sanders safety. We're kind of loaded in that spot though... unless we toss Josh Barrett.

he never ran the 40 while healthy.

meangene
05-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Interesting article on the signing:

Seeing big things, Broncos give CB Thompson big deal
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/21/2010 04:56:38 PM MDT
Updated: 05/21/2010 05:31:33 PM MDT

The Broncos do not consider rookie cornerback Syd'Quan Thompson just another No. 225 overall draft pick in the seventh round.

Call him a seventh-round pick with a fifth-round value and a new four-year contract worth more than $1.2 million.

"I think this kid is going to be one of the steals of the draft," said Doug Hendrickson, Thompson's agent. "Going into the combine, he was a top five corner."

Hendrickson said Thompson fell in the draft because he pulled his hamstring and never got his best 40-yard time posted. Thompson wasn't completely ignored, however, as the Broncos had film on him as a junior and senior when he was named All Pacific-10 Conference at California.

In the 2009 draft, the Broncos took center Blake Schlueter at No. 225 overall. He was among the team's final roster cuts prior to the season.

Based on the NFL draft's slotting system and Schlueter's contract last year, Thompson was rewarded with a signing bonus of around $60,000 for being the first of the Broncos' drafted rookies to sign. If he makes the Broncos' season-opening roster, Thompson would receive a base salary of $325,000 this year.

Thompson, who started every game for four years at cornerback for the University of California, became a Bronco after the team got back in the last round of the draft by dealing their fifth-round pick in 2011 to Tampa Bay in return for two, seventh-round picks this year.

elsid13
05-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Never having seen a guy play certainly doesn't stop people from forming strong opinions about them.

I figured he would be a 2nd or early 3rd round pick before the combine, and I was not alone in thinking that. I'm still surprised that a cover two team didn't grab him earlier than the 7th, but I guess there aren't really that many cover two teams left. He's still going to contribute to some NFL team. Players with his level of collegiate production and innate physicality almost always find a way to stick, elite measurables or not.

He was a good player at Cal. In fact Cal had some good talent on the field. I think he fell because of he didn't always drive on the ball when he had chance for a pick.

cutthemdown
05-22-2010, 03:56 AM

I sort of figured Indy would snag him because my friend, who is a big indy fan, and cal fan thought he was perfect for them.

400HZ
05-22-2010, 05:37 AM
It was a down year for Cal football in general and Syd'Quan was definitely more impressive in his junior year than in his senior. He doesn't have great ball skills and never has. There is a lot to be said for a corner that is a willing and able tackler, though. I hope he lands in McDaniels' great big doghouse and gets cut.

400HZ
05-22-2010, 05:38 AM
Interesting article on the signing:

Seeing big things, Broncos give CB Thompson big deal
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/21/2010 04:56:38 PM MDT
Updated: 05/21/2010 05:31:33 PM MDT

The Broncos do not consider rookie cornerback Syd'Quan Thompson just another No. 225 overall draft pick in the seventh round.

Call him a seventh-round pick with a fifth-round value and a new four-year contract worth more than $1.2 million.

"I think this kid is going to be one of the steals of the draft," said Doug Hendrickson, Thompson's agent. "Going into the combine, he was a top five corner."

Hendrickson said Thompson fell in the draft because he pulled his hamstring and never got his best 40-yard time posted. Thompson wasn't completely ignored, however, as the Broncos had film on him as a junior and senior when he was named All Pacific-10 Conference at California.

In the 2009 draft, the Broncos took center Blake Schlueter at No. 225 overall. He was among the team's final roster cuts prior to the season.

Based on the NFL draft's slotting system and Schlueter's contract last year, Thompson was rewarded with a signing bonus of around $60,000 for being the first of the Broncos' drafted rookies to sign. If he makes the Broncos' season-opening roster, Thompson would receive a base salary of $325,000 this year.

Thompson, who started every game for four years at cornerback for the University of California, became a Bronco after the team got back in the last round of the draft by dealing their fifth-round pick in 2011 to Tampa Bay in return for two, seventh-round picks this year.

See

Hamrob
05-22-2010, 07:43 AM
He's an excellent 7th round pick. I mean come on. This kid was a stud in college and actually has a chance. That's pretty nice when you're picking in the 7th round.

What I don't like:

Trading a 5th rounder in 2011 for 2 7th round picks that will probably not even make the squad. I think that was total stupidity!

At least with a 5th round draft choice...you can find a guy who has a legitimate chance to make the squad.

meangene
05-22-2010, 08:14 AM
He's an excellent 7th round pick. I mean come on. This kid was a stud in college and actually has a chance. That's pretty nice when you're picking in the 7th round.

What I don't like:

Trading a 5th rounder in 2011 for 2 7th round picks that will probably not even make the squad. I think that was total stupidity!

At least with a 5th round draft choice...you can find a guy who has a legitimate chance to make the squad.

Mike Lombardi was saying that, typically, the going rate for a pick in the current draft is a pick one round earlier in the next draft. In Denver's case, they traded a pick two rounds earlier in next years draft for two picks in the current draft. The thinking is that you can make up the pick by trading guys before the season who might not be going to make your team. This is pretty common with late round picks. Given the depth of this year's draft, it makes even more sense. It was an interesting take I had not heard before. Kind of helps explain why you see so much trading of late round picks.

gyldenlove
05-22-2010, 08:22 AM

He is like Al Smith except we didn't spend a 1st round pick on him.

Natedog24
05-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Saw plenty of him in his time at Cal, heck of a college CB but I'm not sure how well his game translates to the NFL. Really good value for a 7th rounder though, surprised he fell that low in the draft.

listopencil
05-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Is Syd'Quan a Jedi name?

Tombstone RJ
05-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Not sure if I want to call him Syd or Sqyd....

cutthemdown
05-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Mike Lombardi was saying that, typically, the going rate for a pick in the current draft is a pick one round earlier in the next draft. In Denver's case, they traded a pick two rounds earlier in next years draft for two picks in the current draft. The thinking is that you can make up the pick by trading guys before the season who might not be going to make your team. This is pretty common with late round picks. Given the depth of this year's draft, it makes even more sense. It was an interesting take I had not heard before. Kind of helps explain why you see so much trading of late round picks.

Exactly some years a 2nd round pick as good as a first round. Some yrs there are all projects and only 10-15 1st rounders would be 1st rounders in a different draft etc etc.

All the guessing on what moves were smart, what ones weren't, are full of what ifs and maybes.

Some years a 7th round pick might have been an UDFA in other drafts. Or maybe even a 5th round pick in a less deep draft. To compare one yr to the next as if the picks have same value is full of problems.

Also a player picked this yr will have a yr under his belt by the following yr. So a yr early will always have extra value.

Ugly Duck
05-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Is Syd'Quan a Jedi name?

Yemeni?

Drek
05-23-2010, 03:28 AM

What I don't like:

So you like that he actually has a chance to contribute but don't like the move because a 5th rounder has a chance to make the squad?

I'm pretty sure if Thompson contributes he made the squad.

Next year's draft will likely be very shallow. A ton of underclassmen jumped this year and the CBA issues will scare a lot of early entrants out of the pool. At the same time that threat forced a lot of talent to come out early in this draft. Thompson probably would've been a 5th rounder if it wasn't for that, and would likely easily be a 5th rounder in next year's class.

We traded a late round future pick to acquire two guys who have a chance to contribute both in 2010 and down the road. Not a bad move if we're really happy with the talent we still saw on the board (which we obviously where).