PDA

View Full Version : Defense With a Swagger

HEAV
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- You could almost hear the brutal sounds of shoulder pads and helmets colliding as Brian Dawkins stood at the podium Thursday, discussing the 2010 Broncos defense.

Don Martindale -- better known as "Wink" -- is the new defensive coordinator, and players have hinted at some new additions to the scheme that could wreak havoc on Sundays. But Dawkins wasn't talking.

"I can't release any secrets like that," the eight-time Pro Bowler said with a smile. "You'll have to see. It's going to be fun."

Martindale coached the linebackers last season, a group that included the NFL's sack leader -- Elvis Dumervil -- and the team's leading tackler -- D.J. Williams. Dumervil, Williams and Mario Haggan all tied for the team lead with three forced fumbles, and Martindale's unit helped Denver rank seventh in the NFL in total yards per game allowed and third in the league in passing yards per game allowed.

So it should come as no surprise that a linebacker was the one who gave a glimpse into what 2010 could provide on the defensive side of the ball. Haggan, a team captain in 2009, used a word Dawkins brought up -- "fun."

"When I say fun, not to take away from the work, but when you've got a guy that's as confident as he is and that believes in his players -- when he talks, and in his movement and the way he coaches, he lets you know he believes in you," he said of Martindale. "I think that will carry over to our team. I think you'll see a lot of swagger with this team this year."

That swagger shows itself in many forms.

Maybe it's the defense shouting, "It's time! We're coming!" as the group confronts the offense for 7-on-7 drills. Maybe it's the defense going after every loose ball with the intent to "scoop and score," regardless of if the play would have been blown dead in a game. Maybe it's how excited the team is to take an aggressive approach to the field in 2010.

"The defense as a whole should be a very stout group," Justin Bannan said. "We should be able to fly around and make a lot of plays and do the job that we're supposed to do."

Some of that comes from scheme changes Martindale and Head Coach Josh McDaniels have worked to implement during the upcoming season. The one word that continues to pop up -- attack.

"We want to be disciplined yet attack, attack, attack -- that’s what our focus is going to be on," McDaniels said. "It’s always good to add some things that allow your players to play fast, and we think we’ve done that this offseason with what we’ve tried to add with our scheme."

McDaniels said he expects Martindale to be an aggressive play-caller, and for that to translate into an aggressive defense.

"We've certainly added a few things that Wink is fond of that I feel very good about that we will see in September and October," he said. "We may blitz a little bit more, but that's his personality and I want him to be himself."
Part of the reason players were so excited when Martindale took over the position is because he came from in-house, so there wouldn't be wholesale changes when it comes to the scheme. Much of the terminology will remain the same, making the transition to Martindale's defense all the easier, and much of what made the unit so successful in 2009 will remain in place.

But adding that "Wink" swagger is something that has the whole club chomping at the bit as the 2010 season approaches.

"Obviously there are going to be some things that remain the same, but Wink has his own ideas and his own ways of how he wants to attack and do things," Dawkins said. "And let's just say I like them."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10130

Kaylore
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
You get can get burned but it's a great way to create turnovers. Turnovers = winning.

HEAV
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
You get can get burned but it's a great way to create turnovers. Turnovers = winning.

Better than watching J-McFat sit back there and pick us apart...

I say bring the heat and kill em all and let the paramedics sort em out!;D

gyldenlove
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM

I am for anything that leads to putting the QB on his ass.

BroncoBuff
05-21-2010, 11:50 AM
This really is just the same happy talk you hear every summer from all 32 teams ... but this time, our massive upgrade on the D-line gives it some teeth. With this D-line, it's more than just happy talk. I can't recall a more spectacular upgrade of any unit than our D-line this offseason. Peterson-Fields-McBean are literally half or less than half the force of Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan and Jarvis Green.

If Martindale and Haggan and/or Ayers perform well, we could have one of the best defenses anywhere.

Kaylore
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
This really is just the same happy talk you hear every summer from all 32 teams .
This is a bit different as we let a coordinator go over this philosophical difference. This is more legit than the usual "we'll be letting 'em loose" articles we've read in years past.

BroncoBuff
05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
This is a bit different as we let a coordinator go over this philosophical difference. This is more legit than the usual "we'll be letting 'em loose" articles we've read in years past.

Actually, my point was that the D-line upgrade is what really moves this from mere "happy talk" into reality.

Khan, have you ever seen an upgrade of an entire unit like this, ever? We replaced three C or C-minus starters with three A or A-minus starters. That is one spectacular upgrade, and it's really gonna show on the field, big time.

kamakazi_kal
05-21-2010, 12:36 PM
This really is just the same happy talk you hear every summer from all 32 teams ... but this time, our massive upgrade on the D-line gives it some teeth. With this D-line, it's more than just happy talk. I can't recall a more spectacular upgrade of any unit than our D-line this offseason. Peterson-Fields-McBean are literally half or less than half the force of Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan and Jarvis Green.

If Martindale and Haggan and/or Ayers perform well, we could have one of the best defenses anywhere.

At least in the first half of the season :wiggle: J/k I hope this is a sign of things to come.

meangene
05-21-2010, 12:50 PM
But, but, but only a half dozen defensive coordinators can call a 3-4 defensive game. Mike Nolan is one, but not Wink. The Broncos D will suck.
Signed,
Jamie "Black Buddha" Dukes

worm
05-21-2010, 01:36 PM

What philosophical difference?

Article below from last year...Same points stressed. Disciplined. Attack. Fun. I think the D will be better this year given the attention to the DL....and hopefully a lot of health. However, this is the same fluff that you hear every year as Buff said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8132f053&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos' defense was the laughingstock of the league over the last few years, giving up a profusion of points and forcing precious few turnovers.

This is no longer that defense.

The Broncos are now actually relying on the defense to rescue them, like it did in a 17-10 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday that kept Denver unbeaten through the first month of the season. That defense thwarted a potential tying drive when Champ Bailey swatted away a pass in the end zone on a fourth-and-goal play with 1 second remaining.

"There are very few situations that can shake us," cornerback Andre' Goodman said.

In just one offseason, a once-maligned defense that ranked at or near the bottom in every major statistical category has been transformed into a trustworthy unit. Last year, the team surrendered 28 points a game. This season, it's given up only 26 points in four games.

The Broncos also have forced 10 turnovers, three shy of what they produced all of last season. The porous defense ultimately led to the firing of Mike Shanahan as his squad missed the playoffs for a third straight season.

The reclamation project began shortly after rookie coach Josh McDaniels took over. One of his first hires was defensive mastermind Mike Nolan, who implemented a 3-4 scheme.

Then came the acquisitions. The Broncos revamped their secondary by adding perennial Pro Bowler Brian Dawkins, Goodman and Renaldo Hill; They brought in veteran linebacker Andra Davis and provided depth on the line with Ronald Fields, Le Kevin Smith and Vonnie Holliday.

"In this defense, I see pride, I see hunger, I see a battle for respect," linebacker Mario Haggan said.

Still, respect has been hard to come by.

Most pundits remember the last few seasons when Denver was dismal on defense, burning through one coordinator after another trying to shore up numerous deficiencies.

And while Nolan has brought stability, the Broncos' fast start on defense was dismissed by many a critic as nothing more than a product of a weak early schedule.

Then came the Dallas performance, where the defense bottled up one of the top rushing teams by holding the Cowboys to 74 yards on 25 carries. The Broncos are hoping that buys some credibility.

"To come out and do it against a great team shows we are a great team," said linebacker D.J. Williams, whose club is surrendering a league-low 6.5 points a game. "We still have a long way to go."

"I was on the field a lot, giving up big plays, everybody running around on us," Williams recounted. "Now we're on a defense like this, everybody's making plays and stopping people."

Bailey made a big contribution Sunday, picking off Tony Romo's pass deep in Denver territory and swatting away two more thrown his direction in the end zone on the final drive.

It's not often that Bailey gets picked on. He rather enjoyed it.

"I welcome it. Please do," Bailey said. "That's the only way that I get a chance to make plays."

Before Bailey's late deflections in the end zone, Dawkins came up with a touchdown-saving tackle when he raced across the field to drag down Sam Hurd at the Denver 20 following a 53-yard catch-and-run on fourth down.

It was an impressive burst for a 14-year veteran who's supposedly lost a step.

"He may be a 35-year-old in age, but he's 22 in playing time," Haggan said. "He's that type of player -- when you need big plays he delivers."

Dawkins hasn't needed long to win over teammates and become a leader. The longtime Philadelphia Eagles standout brings an intimidating presence to a Denver defense that has been lacking one over the years.

"We're a disciplined group," said Dawkins, who turns 36 on Oct. 13. "All of us are coachable and when (Nolan) says something about stopping a team, we all believe and buy into it."

That's because Nolan spreads the wealth, devising a game plan each week that entices the interest of players.
NFL RedZone

Watching football on Sundays will be a whole new experience with NFL Network's new channel, NFL RedZone. Find out why.

"Everyone wants the ball on offense, so you've got to spread it around," said Nolan, who's been a defensive coordinator for Baltimore, Washington, the Jets and the Giants. "On defense, it's a little bit of the same way when you play the 3-4: Guys want their number called, where they get to blitz and get to do some of the fun things."

Elvis Dumervil has been thriving in Nolan's system, using his long arms and low center of gravity off the edge of the line as a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker. Dumervil sacked Romo twice on Sunday, giving him eight this season and tying him for the league lead.

"I've been blessed to be in this situation," Dumervil said. "The defensive scheme is excellent."

Br0nc0Buster
05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Josh wanted to blitz more and Nolan wanted to do more read and react
I think Nolan changed his defense to match Josh's vision, but they both had different ideas of where they wanted the defense to go

just look back at Nolans past defenses, its not hard to see how what Nolan likes to do might conflict a bit with what Josh wants to do

Br0nc0Buster
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
one difference is we appear to have people on the team who are competent when it comes to how to run a quality defense

Big difference when Bob Slowick says we are gonna do something than when Josh says we are gonna do something