PDA

View Full Version : Who do you believe will lead the Broncos in receptions this season?

montrose
05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
The candidates

Eddie Royal
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/479/eddie12.jpg

Why he may: He exploded his rookie season with 91 catches which included the best of his career in his first game when Brandon Marshall was not on the field. He was the focal point of the offense throughout training camp and the preseason last year while Marshall was out of the lineup. During that time, Royal led the team (I believe) in receptions throughout the preseason and it was only upon Marshall's return that Royal's production slipped in the offense. He may have also been dealing with injury issues, as his season was cut short. Josh McDaniels and Kyle Orton have both been on record that getting Royal more involved in the offense, and he remains arguably the team's best route runner, quickest receiver and has it's most reliable hands. With Marshall gone and a year under his belt in this system, Royal can slip into the "Wes Welker-role" and lead the team in catches.

Why he may not: Royal struggled getting off press coverage last season, something he didn't struggle with his rookie year. Excluding the first game of his career without Marshall, there is a school of thought that many of his catches that rookie season came as the beneficiary of Marshall drawing double coverage. It's still unknown if Royal has the makeup to run the option routes necessary to succeed in the Broncos' offense, and if he's better suited playing on the outside where he predominantly spent last season. While McDaniels did say he wanted to get Royal more involved, the team spent 1st and 3rd round draft choices on WRs months after giving last year's #5 receiver (Brandon Lloyd) a guaranteed signing bonus.

Jabar Gaffney
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1978/gaffney11.jpg

Why he may: A favorite of McDaniels, Gaffney has the most experience in this system and can play any of its positions. A steady player, he proved to be a reliable target for Orton last season and in the season's final game without Marshall or Royal, he caught 14 passes. With question marks surrounding the other targets, you know what you're getting with Gaffney and while he may not put up huge numbers - last year's #2 receiver (to Marshall in receptions) may have the most catches amongst a group that spreads the ball around.

Why he may not: Clearly the most physically limited of the group, Gaffney does not have great speed or size. The drafting of two more receivers plus an increased emphasis on getting Royal more involved may push Gaffney's catches down on a group likely to spread the ball around.

Demaryius Thomas
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/822/copyofbebebc2.jpg

Why he may: Thomas was the Broncos 1st selection in this years draft and he's easily the most physically gifted of the group. McDaniels gushed about Thomas, calling him a faster Marshall. Possibly filling the position Marshall played, Thomas could have the best position to lead the group in receptions - especially with his experience and ability catching the screen passes the Broncos like calling so often. While some may point to his inexperience running routes, he scored a very high 34 on his wonderlic and McDaniels praised Thomas' ability to quickly learn the offense. With the other WRs already on the roster, the Broncos still targeted Thomas as their first player drafted, showing how much they wanted him.

Why he may not: While the most gifted of the group, he's also the most raw. Coming from a triple-option offense, where he never ran many routes - the Broncos' offense may be very complex for him to learn. In addition, Thomas is currently recovering from a foot injury which could delay his assimilation into the offense - especially at WR which is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the NFL from college.

Eric Decker
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7932/decker.jpg

Why he may: A big physical target with good hands and underrated athletic ability, Decker should seemingly fit right into the Broncos' offense. An extremely smart player who scored the highest wonderlic test (43) in this year's draft, he should be able to learn the offense quickly and provide a safe, big target for anyone playing QB. A real sleeper, Decker could become a favorite target and amass large reception totals on an offense likely to get several targets involved.

Why he may not: Decker is just a rookie, facing the same learning curve Thomas is although he does not have Thomas' talent. Like Thomas, Decker is also coming off an injury - although his is more severe and caused him to miss much of his senior season. While Decker is a talented prospect, it can be argued he may be no better than the 3rd most gifted athlete of the group and combined with his lack of experience and injury - it's unlikely he'd lead the team in catches.

Knowshon Moreno
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7674/knowshon8.jpg

Why he may: In his second year, Moreno should finally be healthy and benefit from a full year of training camp. As a RB, he's a sleeper to lead the team in catches, but he was drafted in part for his complete skill set which included his abilities receiving the football. With the change in personnel at WR, Moreno is a sure bet to be on the field often and may see many passes coming his way on screens, flares and even wheels. In addition, the acquisition of Tim Tebow could move Moreno out of taking direct snaps in the Wild Horses formation and give him opportunities to catch the ball from a rookie QB.

Why he may not: He is still a RB and while it happens occasionally, it remains rare that a RB would lead his team in catches. Also, it appears there is a new emphasis on getting the ball down field which could take away from Moreno's opportunities. Finally, he may still be splitting time with Correll Buckhalter who is also a good pass-receiving RB and team is also looking Brian Westbrook who is one of the league's best receiving backs.

Dagmar
05-20-2010, 11:38 AM
I think Thomas will have an immediate impact and just shade it, the passes will be very spread out this year though.

Rabb
05-20-2010, 11:40 AM
I am saying it will be a close call but Eddie just over Gaffney

HEAV
05-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I think Thomas will have an immediate impact and just shade it, the passes will be very spread out this year though.

Agree Marshall's 100 catchs will be spread around.

Bay Bay Thomas most likely will have a 50-60 catch year (baring any injury) the learning curve will take effect but he will get his shots.

Both Royal and Gaff will be close to the lead for the team, but I give Gaff the edge due to him knowing the offense and his feel for finding the holes in the zones.

BlaK-Argentina
05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't know but I'm extremely excited about all of them. Hopefully Thomas plays like Marshall on the field and we can all cheer for him for his behavior off it too.

BroncoBuff
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Gotta be Royal.

I've complained a lot about Josh not using Eddie enough last season.

Then Josh came out and said the same thing, agreed with me.

So the two of us are unanimous ... it's time to unleash the Royal Treatment on the league .... POW!

broncocalijohn
05-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I dont know how we are going to use Royal and it seems Gaffney knew where to go when he was out there so Orton is comfortable with him. Tough call as we drafted two good receivers and have many that are capable of stepping up. Where was the Tebow option? Tebow is never cornered in a "other" option. That is blasphemy.

Crushaholic
05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Gaffney seemed to be Orton's favorite target in the few times that Marshall wasn't on the field. Provided the rookies go through a normal learning curve, I'll say that this will be one of Gaffney's best years as an NFL pro...

Kaylore
05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I think you will lead the team, Montrose. You at receiver and Anubis at punter.

Beantown Bronco
05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Gaffney

theAPAOps5
05-20-2010, 12:48 PM

EDIT: I just typed something real dumb, oh boy am I glad I caught it!

Oh and I chose other but my option is Tebow.

BigPlayShay
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
EDIT: I just typed something real dumb, oh boy am I glad I caught it!

Was it about Josina's receiving skills?

gyldenlove
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Spencer Larsen - he is a mismatch nightmare, he is slower than most LBs, can't jump and is not very tall - hmmm wait - it will be Royal by quite a margin.

Durango
05-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Eddie Royal was so badly underused last season it's almost damning on McDaniels, but then, he was instituting his new offense and was determined to get the running game going with our new Sammy Winder, so we exchanged 12 yard gains for 3.6. Royal will break out this year, but the wise choices of Thomas and Decker will emerge as a force in the not-too-distant future.

montrose
05-20-2010, 01:14 PM

The NFL wants no part of this business, I'd drag Nnamdi to the endzone then share fist pumps with Coach!

theAPAOps5
05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Was it about Josina's receiving skills?

No it was a joke on Kaylore but the joke would have been on me! Glad I caught it!

Mr. Trout
05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Who knows. This would definitely be something to bet on with your friends because it is wide open.

Popps
05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Hillis.

Mr. Trout
05-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Hillis.

Can't believe I forgot about Hillis. LOL

cmhargrove
05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
It should be Royal, but I would like to see more passes to Moreno. The dude is a very talented pass catching RB.

Moreno yards per rush = 3.8
Moreno yards per reception = 7.6

The last time I checked, 7.6 is better than 3.8 - pass it to the boy!!!

KS Bronco
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
i think royal's production dropped last year because orton looked to marshall too much. i think royal puts up good numbers this year (80's), with everyone chipping in to spread it out

Popps
05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Great thread, btw. Fun read.

Stoked about our WR corps next season. Don't forget that Lloyd and McKinley could be in the mix, too. (Not as leaders, but contributors.)

BlaK-Argentina
05-20-2010, 01:54 PM

Where the hell is Anubis anyway??

El Jué
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
I'll vote for Thomas only because I have very little faith in the others.

Los Broncos
05-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Where the hell is Anubis anyway??

He hangs out over at BF I think.

FADERPROOF
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
First one to 30 wins!

Florida_Bronco
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Given that we finally have the personnel to properly run McD's offense, you gotta figure it's going to be Royal. He's going to be playing Wes Welker's role where he can catch those short, high percentage passes.

listopencil
05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
"Josh McDaniels and Kyle Orton have both been on record that getting Royal more involved in the offense, and he remains arguably the team's best route runner, quickest receiver and has it's most reliable hands."

I don't believe that at all. Stokely runs better routes hands down. Gaffney gets open better too. I am basing this on last season, and I can't say for certain that it was Royal's fault all the time, but there was a major disconnect between Royal and Orton. I am aware that the passes were pushed on Marshall. But there were too many instances of Royal being in the wrong place at the wrong time for him to be considered our best route runner. Maybe it was just a case of Royal being pushed around at the LOS, messing up his timing. I don't know.

WyoLaw
05-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Good thread.

Drek
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
"Josh McDaniels and Kyle Orton have both been on record that getting Royal more involved in the offense, and he remains arguably the team's best route runner, quickest receiver and has it's most reliable hands."

I don't believe that at all. Stokely runs better routes hands down. Gaffney gets open better too. I am basing this on last season, and I can't say for certain that it was Royal's fault all the time, but there was a major disconnect between Royal and Orton. I am aware that the passes were pushed on Marshall. But there were too many instances of Royal being in the wrong place at the wrong time for him to be considered our best route runner. Maybe it was just a case of Royal being pushed around at the LOS, messing up his timing. I don't know.
There was also a major disconnect between what Royal's best fit in this offense is and what he did last year, in order to keep Marshall the featured receiver.

Now Royal gets to play the role best suited to him, as Thomas is an ideal fit for what we had to shoehorn Royal into last year to feature Marshall.

I voted for Eddie because I think he's going to be the guy who moves the chains a la Wes Welker, and that is a high reception job. But it also strongly depends on who our QB is. If Quinn somehow beats out Orton then Thomas' role in the offense just exploded, because the deep bombs that Thomas used to run a lot of in college is in many respects Brady Quinn's forte as well. They could be a pretty dynamic pair.

If its Orton it'll be the short to intermediate passing game more than the deep ball, with a lot of looks given to both Royal and Gaffney.

Mogulseeker
05-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Gotta be Royal from the slot. Gaffney isn't a #1 guy and Decker and Thomas are young - I would guess they each have around 45 each between them, Lloyd, Moreno, Stokley, with Graham at about 60 and, if he rebounds, Royal pushing 90.

montrose
05-20-2010, 07:11 PM

That's why I said arguably. Stokley or Gaffney may be better route runners, it's debatable. I thought your last sentence is accurate, he just struggled getting off press - at times looking as though he was thinking for a second as to how he should play the coverage (leading me to speculate if he struggled running option routes). Two years ago when Eddie was on the outside and wasn't running option routes, he was making DBs fall down with his routes.

Interestingly I think his struggle last season shared similarites with that of Alphonso Smith. Because of both players' size (small) and athletic look (quick), they would seem to be natural fits for the positions that those qualities prototype - nickelback and slot WR. However, it was pretty apparent that neither player had much experience at all playing those roles. It appeared as though Eddie had limited experience playing out of the slot, running option routes and working the hashes. Same goes for Alphonso who was an awesome man-to-man CB playing the outside in college; he was a playmaker with interceptions and sacks. As a nickelback, he had to play in zone coverage in the middle of the field against slot WRs who can be very crafty running option routes. Like Eddie, while Alphonso may look like a slot guy (and Frank Schuab reported that at OTAs he was again working as the #1 NB ahead of Jones, Cox and Carter), his actual skillset may be that of an outside CB. Therein lies a dillema as its not out of the realm that each player could adapt and play very well in the roles their bodytype projects them to, but would it be wiser to simply let the athlete do what he's done well in his career despite his size's limitations? I'm interested to see how things go this year with both players.

RhymesayersDU
05-20-2010, 07:15 PM
This poll is bunk because it does not have Ryan Clady as an option.

Popps
05-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I love the fact that the two new kids are big targets. With the loss of wife-smacker, we'll need some security blankets for whichever QB we end up going with.

baja
05-20-2010, 07:30 PM
<b>Eddie Royal was so badly underused last season it's almost damning on McDaniels,</b> but then, he was instituting his new offense and was determined to get the running game going with our new Sammy Winder, so we exchanged 12 yard gains for 3.6. Royal will break out this year, but the wise choices of Thomas and Decker will emerge as a force in the not-too-distant future.

This plus the push to a power O line without personal to play it are my two biggest criticisms Of Josh the OC. To a lesser degree I felt he held the reigns too tight on Orton (I understand this could also be self inflicted by Orton but still Josh could have encouraged him to go down field more).

Josh's first year grade = B+ becomes an A+ if Cutler & Marshall shiit the bed in a predictable way (attitude / character).

Folks we have ourselves a incredible coach blossoming before our eyes.

Cito Pelon
05-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Sure is a lot of WR's on the roster. Hell, some combo of Gaffney, Lloyd, Stokley, McKinley may get cut if Limp and Gimp (Decker & Thomas) recover and shine in TC and PS.

It's gonna be interesting to see who survives the battles, sure is a logjam at WR right now. On paper, Decker replaces Gaffney, Royal replaces Stokley, Thomas replaces Marshall, McKinley and Lloyd fight for the 5th spot???

Typically, there will be what, 6 WR's on the final roster?

Gaffney
Royal
Decker
Thomas
McKinley
Stokley
Lloyd

Those 7 seem to have the inside track to make the team. But maybe one of the 5 other WR's listed on the roster will get Stokley's, Lloyd's or McKinley's slot because they'll play ST's???

Just gonna have to wait and see. Thomas or Decker may not survive camp if they reinjure the foot, have to go on IR. It's all speculation at this point, but fun. Good thread, Montrose.

montrose
05-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Sure is a lot of WR's on the roster. Hell, some combo of Gaffney, Lloyd, Stokley, McKinley may get cut if Limp and Gimp (Decker & Thomas) recover and shine in TC and PS.

It's gonna be interesting to see who survives the battles, sure is a logjam at WR right now. On paper, Decker replaces Gaffney, Royal replaces Stokley, Thomas replaces Marshall, McKinley and Lloyd fight for the 5th spot???

Typically, there will be what, 6 WR's on the final roster?

Gaffney
Royal
Decker
Thomas
McKinley
Stokley
Lloyd

Those 7 seem to have the inside track to make the team. But maybe one of the 5 other WR's listed on the roster will get Stokley's, Lloyd's or McKinley's slot because they'll play ST's???

Just gonna have to wait and see. Thomas or Decker may not survive camp if they reinjure the foot, have to go on IR. It's all speculation at this point, but fun. Good thread, Montrose.

It will be interesting to see how many WRs are kept. Last year, six were kept on the active roster (Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, Lloyd, McKinley) and last years group included Scheffler who they could split out wide as well. Among this years group, you have Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd, Thomas and Decker as solid locks and that leaves a possible 6th position between Stokley and McKinley. Stokley obviously has more experience but he can't play special teams as McKinley can - Kenny could also be a candidate for the practice squad.

Cito Pelon
05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
It will be interesting to see how many WRs are kept. Last year, six were kept on the active roster (Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, Lloyd, McKinley) and last years group included Scheffler who they could split out wide as well. Among this years group, you have Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd, Thomas and Decker as solid locks and that leaves a possible 6th position between Stokley and McKinley. Stokley obviously has more experience but he can't play special teams as McKinley can - Kenny could also be a candidate for the practice squad.

Does McKinley have too many starts to be PS eligible??? Gaffney, I guess he is a lock. He's a solid possession guy, but they sure brought in a bunch of competition for the final two spots. Gaffney has the size and experience factor going for him. He's a proven, smooth receiver. Gets to his spots on time, catches everything.

montrose
05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Does McKinley have too many starts to be PS eligible??? Gaffney, I guess he is a lock. He's a solid possession guy, but they sure brought in a bunch of competition for the final two spots. Gaffney has the size and experience factor going for him. He's a proven, smooth receiver. Gets to his spots on time, catches everything.

You know what? Upon further review, Kenny may not have eligibility because I think he was active for at least 6 games - I'd have to check on that. If so, I wouldn't be stunned if he's kept over Stokley as McKinley can return kicks, punts and play on special teams units. But he'd have to show progress as a WR because Josh has always appeared to be a fan of Stokley.

underrated29
05-21-2010, 09:46 AM
It totally depends on who the QB is.

If it is Orton- which it probably will be, I would say moreno. If its quinn then its my boy eddie. If its the tebers, then its thomas.