PDA

View Full Version : orton on trading block? (total rumor)

tsiguy96
05-18-2010, 09:53 AM
per rotoworld:

Brady Quinn is working with the second-team offense, behind Kyle Orton, at Broncos voluntary passing camp.
Quinn is ahead of third-stringer Tom Brandstater and current No. 4 QB Tim Tebow. While Tebow is getting few reps, Quinn is the favorite should anyone other than Orton (rumored to be on the trading block) be Denver's Week 1 starter. Brandstater's grip on a roster spot may depend on Orton's whereabouts.

tsiguy96
05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
im in support of this if its true. we cant have that many QBs splitting reps in practice, and we know what orton can do. hes a good if not above average QB, but theres other guys on the roster whos ceiling is much higher, need to give them a chance.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah, we kind of know what Orton brings to the table, but we've yet to see Quinn make it healthy through an entire season. If we trade Orton this year, I'm afraid we won't like that result.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Why don't we just make Tebow officially a TE or WR? He'd stay on as 4th QB on the depth chart while he's groomed. That way we could keep him on and still keep 3 QBs.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-18-2010, 10:03 AM
and that rumor is coming from where?

Paige and Kizla were throwing **** up against a wall a couple weeks ago, that doesn't make it "rumor" for Rotoworld to repeat.

Dagmar
05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
It's one of those "rumors" that exists because enough people are suggesting it.

It's a possibility for a team that needs a QB, like Buffalo, or a team loses it's starting QB to injury at some point before September.

The thing is, I don't see Orton being a problem if he is demoted to back up behind Quinn, if that is how training camp/preseason turns out.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-18-2010, 10:13 AM

It's a possibility for a team that needs a QB, like Buffalo, or a team loses it's starting QB to injury at some point before September.

Which would make it speculation

theAPAOps5
05-18-2010, 10:26 AM
They must read the Mane! We have uncles friends mailman's milk delivery drivers friends who know this. I mean we are as close to inner Dove Valley then you think! :)

Popps
05-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah, we kind of know what Orton brings to the table, but we've yet to see Quinn make it healthy through an entire season. If we trade Orton this year, I'm afraid we won't like that result.

For what we'd get in return (not much) ... I can't imagine the logic of trading away the only proven performer on the roster in our system.

Now, before people rip him... I'm not saying he's a world-beater, but he played very well before the injury last season. At very worst, he'd be an excellent back-up. We saw last season how important that can be.

I don't know... I'm honestly confused with this situation. Why not keep him around as insurance, at the very least?

Popps
05-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Paige and Kizla were throwing **** up against a wall a couple weeks ago, that doesn't make it "rumor" for Rotoworld to repeat.

It's a popular rumor. Not that that means anything. But, they were mentioning it on NFLN last night, as well.

meangene
05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
It's a popular rumor. Not that that means anything. But, they were mentioning it on NFLN last night, as well.

Yes, Michael Lombardi reported that it was the general feeling around the league that Orton would be moved leaving Quinn and Tebow to compete for the starting job. I put a little more stock in Lombardi than Rotoworld. Lombardi has been at both minicamps now and is one of the few at NFLN supportive of McDaniels and the Broncos.

BlaK-Argentina
05-18-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd hate to lose Orton right now. Quinn can look as good as he wants in practice but Orton is the only QB we have that has played well when the games are for real. If he gets beat he'll take his demotion like a man and be a GREAT backup at least this year. Doesn't make any sense to me.

broncswin
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
just throwing my hands up the air and saying make the right choice McD...I have faith

SportinOne
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Let's be real, Orton is not winning a super bowl. So there are 2 scenarios if he is traded:

A. He's traded because one of Quinn, Tebow, or Brandestater look ready to play close to or above his level.

B. He has little faith that Orton will do anything great for us regardless of how good anyone else could be AND he wants to keep all three young guys because he sees good things in all of them and doesn't want to cut one just yet.

Paladin
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
There are lots of general feelings around the league. They have many feelings about many things. A good night's sleep, a good breakfast, sunshine, paychecks......

Paladin
05-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Let's be real, Orton is not winning a super bowl.

And you know this how?

Beantown Bronco
05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Let's be real, Orton is not winning a super bowl.

The Bears might've actually won SB XLI if they started Orton in place of Grossman.

meangene
05-18-2010, 12:53 PM
There are lots of general feelings around the league. They have many feelings about many things. A good night's sleep, a good breakfast, sunshine, paychecks......

I am assuming that Lombardi has talked to folks in various organizations who would have some degree of knowledge and / or expertise about what Denver may be going to do with the QB situation. He is not a rumor monger. He has also worked in front offices himself and spent considerable time around Dove Valley. I would think his reports have some validity. He did not say a deal was imminent or that Orton was "on the block" necessarily. What I took from the report was that, if Quinn and Tebow continue to impress to the point that McDaniels feels one or both could be an effective starter this year, Orton would likely be the odd man out. He is viewed as the guy with the lowest ceiling but also the highest floor. It will come down to a balancing of risk vs. reward. Realistically, if Quinn or Tebow are viewed as our QB of the future, they are going to need to be getting first and second team reps fairly early in training camp to progress.

yerner
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I think it really just depends on Brandstater. If Mcdaniels doesn't want to give him up then Orton might be gone. It doesnt appear that Quinn or Tebow are headed anywhere.

Steve Sewell
05-18-2010, 01:54 PM

The thing is, I don't see Orton being a problem if he is demoted to back up behind Quinn, if that is how training camp/preseason turns out.

I have the feeling that the Broncos are going to gouge some team that finds itself in a desperate situation by trading one of the QB's during the preseason. It would make no sense to trade a guy like Orton right now, who has proven that he can effectively manage the offense in just his first year. The other 3 are completely unproven at this point.

Blart
05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Orton wins games.

baja
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
It costs nothing to keep Orton through training camp and his value will go way up when some team needs a starter, Minn. for example if Farve decides to not play another season.

Circle Orange
05-18-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm wondering at the source of these rumors myself, although the pecking order of quarterbacks is consistent with what I've read so far. Still, it's early and a lot can happen. But I still don't see any major shakeups barring injury or trade.

DenverBrit
05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
If Orton gets outplayed by one of the other QBs during TC, then fine.

Otherwise, he's not going anywhere this year.

baja
05-18-2010, 10:04 PM
If Orton gets outplayed by one of the other QBs during TC, then fine.

Otherwise, he's not going anywhere this year.

I would say needs to be beat out by two QBs to be expendable.

strafen
05-18-2010, 10:40 PM
The fact is Orton is indeed the only proven QB we've got as of right now.
The second one in line is Quinn, but he's not proven.
So, the job is Orton to lose. I don't think we would trade him until we have a more clear picture of who will be the best option.
Orton is obviously not in the long term plans for the team, but in this year when things are not looking that great for us, I'd would throw in one of the other 3 QB's in if that QB proves himself in TC to be a valuable commodity for us.

We've got no proven WR either. We've got two promising rookies but both have a foot injury. So, it's going to be tough. We've got nothing to lose, and QB is just ione of many issues we still got to resolve...

Paladin
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Orton wins games.

This.

+1

uplink
05-18-2010, 11:17 PM
so then what could the broncos get for Orton? Wonder what team would be interested in him?

ZONA
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h2Me8fvn0DQ/SMGyo2l0gwI/AAAAAAAAAsM/FsvTMxVwge8/S660/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

DenverBrit
05-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I would say needs to be beat out by two QBs to be expendable.

Good point.

DenverBrit
05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0517/20100517_100639_FooterQBs051810.jpg

snowspot66
05-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Really reaching for those highlights and lowlights there.

Hamrob
05-19-2010, 01:25 PM
I think overall the talent is good...but, I don't think any of them are proven. Orton had an o.k. year...nothing to get excited about!