PDA

View Full Version : Tebow-mania continues-Frank Schwab

HEAV
05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Tebow-mania continues

May 17th, 2010, 4:32 pm 1 Comment posted by Frank Schwab
Rookie quarterback Tim Tebow showed some of the things during today's first passing camp practice that endear him to coaches, and made Josh McDaniels covet him in this year's draft. On every play he wasn't in, he stood behind the line and mimicked what the quarterback had to do, even if it was just a handoff. Then at the end of practice, he finished first among all offensive players in every conditioning sprint.

So, yes, the hard working, "first one in the building, last to leave" Tebow legacy is legit. For the dozens of media members wanting to witness some of Tebow's skills as a quarterback, there wasn't much to see.

Tebow was fourth in line for repetitions behind Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and even Tom Brandstater. McDaniels acknowledged that was part of Tebow not being handed anything as a rookie, even though he is a first-round pick. When Tebow did get opportunities to throw, he looked tentative. He wasn't very decisive and often checked down to a short pass.

The throws he made were fine - his arm strength looked good, his revamped mechanics didn't slip - and that Tebow played it safe isn't a surprise. He's a rookie quarterback who still has a long way before he can feel comfortable in the offense, and still has a lot to work on.

"It's just everything," Tebow said. "Obviously, it's knowing the playbook, my footwork, the fundamentals. Reading the defense, you know there's everything. There's just so much going on that you have to try to pick up everything."

Learning the complicated offense will be a big deal for Tebow, and he said he studied plenty the past couple of weeks since the rookie minicamp.

"I worked really hard at it and trying to understand it and get better, so when I came out here, it wasn't totally new," Tebow said.

http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2010/05/17/tebow-mania-continues/2601/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

------

Tim will get where he needs to be, it's just going to take time.-Heav

Paladin
05-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Agreed. He is probably the third QB and will man the clipboard for the first year. Not to worry. That is the Old School way that QBs learned their trade. I think Brandstater will get traded or whatever. Maybe the Niners would give a 5th for him....

I really do not have a care whether it be Orton or Quinn who starts. But I do not believe Orton can be just traded out. He is essential to the team right now, having the one year behind him with McDs O. But if Quinn can do it, fine, but I do have some doubts.

This will be an intersting TC......

SonOfLe-loLang
05-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Agreed. He is probably the third QB and will man the clipboard for the first year. Not to worry. That is the Old School way that QBs learned their trade. I think Brandstater will get traded or whatever. Maybe the Niners would give a 5th for him....

I really do not have a care whether it be Orton or Quinn who starts. But I do not believe Orton can be just traded out. He is essential to the team right now, having the one year behind him with McDs O. But if Quinn can do it, fine, but I do have some doubts.

This will be an intersting TC......

He'll play in sub packages. Id be shocked if he didnt

ScottXray
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
He'll play in sub packages. Id be shocked if he didnt

In McDaniels Presser he said they are going to use more two backs backfields this year. I'd wager that means they will use split backs slightly behind Orton (or Quinn) in a short shotgun formation, and one of those backs is going to be Tebow on occasion. In that formation you can have a direct snap to the QB or Tebow. The backs can stay in to protect , act as FB / RB, go lateral for screens or run a wildcat offense. Direct snap to Tebow gives you a rolling pocket with better mobility than Orton. Don't know if Tebow can block that well, but he has FB size.
Of course defenses will try to come up with pressure, and since two backs = only 2 WR & one TE the pass game will need to be quick hit.

Again the O-line will have to be able to hold their blocks better than last year.
It should be able to , although the beginning of the year is going to be iffy, with so many new O-linemen in.

Still it will give us options we couldn't run last year. I think the two back set is maybe going to be mainly a feint for a while to set up the wildcat plays and will mainly be used for pass protect and straight runs to lull the defense to sleep. Then they will try to hit something long out of it once or twice a game.

SouthStndJunkie
05-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Tebow is not going to look absolutely incredible and polished from the very first day?

bap454
05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
It just dawned on me.......we HAVE to get rid of Orton....why might you ask? Its quite possible Brady Quinn will not have a fair shot if it doesnt happen this year. Year two will be all about Tebow. No way Tebow sits the bench 2 straight years (minus gimick plays). We have to find out what Quinn is capeable of now! So the real million dollar question is: What happens with Tebow if Quinn plays lights out (franchise quarterback)??

Elway's Pigeon Toes
05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Why should anything just be be handed to Brady Quinn like that?

ward63
05-17-2010, 05:50 PM
If Quinn plays lights out, then how do you see a down side in that bap? Yeah, we used a first rounder on a backup qb, but I don't care if we have a top 5-10 qb

Florida_Bronco
05-17-2010, 06:09 PM
What happens with Tebow if Quinn plays lights out (franchise quarterback)??

He'll probably be flipped to another team then.

theAPAOps5
05-17-2010, 06:51 PM
What if Orton plays lights out?

Ok stop laughing now!

watermock
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
It's rally hard to say why we even traded for Quinn, other than to get rid of the last of Shanahan's offense. In fact, Quinn was gnerally placed above Tebow on differnt year drafts.

It's all odd how our drafts are supposedly so good untill you see who we lost and how the rooks have done.

So far, I se alot of what I saw with other Heisman hopefulls.

As suprised as Cutler in the draft, I was even more surprised by Tebow.

Gawd, do they test Ask Charles at some point in his NBA take?

Archer81
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
It's rally hard to say why we even traded for Quinn, other than to get rid of the last of Shanahan's offense. In fact, Quinn was gnerally placed above Tebow on differnt year drafts.

It's all odd how our drafts are supposedly so good untill you see who we lost and how the rooks have done.

Hmm.

I Uhh...umm...huh?

:Broncos:

watermock
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s50K65PNeBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s50K65PNeBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>.

AlphaOmega
05-17-2010, 07:41 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s50K65PNeBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s50K65PNeBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>.

That was REALLY Bad!!

bap454
05-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Why should anything just be be handed to Brady Quinn like that?

I think we all agree Orton is not the future at QB...
1) Orton has no trade value after this year
2) Quinn has the potential to be something with a real OLine
3)valuable snaps will taken from the yung uns...Brandy & Tebow or even Quinn
4)"Hand" Quinn a real shot to prove that he is a real star....not a bust. He must know this could be his last shot.

Downside: We lose(Orton)....who is nothing more than a middle of the line QB, at best. The great unknown is a scarry thing.? I guess?

FireFly
05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
So the real million dollar question is: What happens with Tebow if Quinn plays lights out (franchise quarterback)??

Then we'd possibly be in a situation like the chargers a few years ago with Brees and Rivers. A posistion I'd love to be in. :thumbsup:

bap454
05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
If Quinn plays lights out, then how do you see a down side in that bap? Yeah, we used a first rounder on a backup qb, but I don't care if we have a top 5-10 qb

I really believe no matter what Quinn/Orton/Brandy does....McD is married to pushing Tebow as the face of the team soon or later. He will eventually need to justify multiple draft picks for Tebow,......leaving the chosen one on the bench/back-up will not help to prove his Brilliance ala Tom Brady.? It would almost be admitting that he was wrong about Tebow.... will never happen. IMO.?

bap454
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Then we'd possibly be in a situation like the chargers a few years ago with Brees and Rivers. A posistion I'd love to be in. :thumbsup:

Exactlly my point... letting the wrong guy go, just to watch him win super bowls and mvps. U n l e s s you think....Phillis was the right choice? I am just starting to think McD is more about proving himself at this point in his career?

HAT
05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
There is no way in hell a POS like Quinn beats out Orton (barring injury).

2010: Orton/Quinn/Tebow
2011: Tebow/Quinn/Journeyman

LOL @ anyone thinking 'Stater has a future with the Broncos.

snowspot66
05-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Exactlly my point... letting the wrong guy go, just to watch him win super bowls and mvps. U n l e s s you think....Phillis was the right choice? I am just starting to think McD is more about proving himself at this point in his career?

Nonsense. The man is a NFL head coach. He's proven himself already. Head coaches are about winning and nothing else.

Paladin
05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
...... He will eventually need to justify multiple draft picks for Tebow,......

That's a load of Road Apples..... To whom would he have to "justify" anything. McD did a masterful job creating the picks to get Tebow. Why do you think he did all the trade downs?

strafen
05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I've heard that Tebow didn't look too sharp, but neither did any of the other 3 QB's.

I've also heard that while surprisingly Orton was throwing the best long ball, it was Brandstater whose passes looked a whole lot better than the rest.

It's going to be an interesting fight for the QB position. Whatever happened to today was expected in my opinion.
First time everybody had to compete in person with each other, and some nervousness may have played a role...

They will get better as they go along...

Play2win
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
That's a load of Road Apples..... To whom would he have to "justify" anything. McD did a masterful job creating the picks to get Tebow. Why do you think he did all the trade downs?

All I know is that we started out the day with a single first round pick, but at the end of the day we had Multiple first round picks.

Popps
05-17-2010, 10:35 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_mDTLphIVY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_mDTLphIVY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

OABB
05-17-2010, 10:46 PM
it's rally hard to say why we even traded for quinn, other than to get rid of the last of shanahan's offense. In fact, quinn was gnerally placed above tebow on differnt year drafts.

So far, i se alot of what i saw with other heisman hopefulls.

As suprised as cutler in the draft, i was even more surprised by tebow.

Gawd, do they test ask charles at some point in his nba take?

HAT
05-17-2010, 11:08 PM
1) Orton has no trade value after this year

lol to the Wut?

Orton's trade value will never be higher than after this year.....

Perfect storm is brewing:
Orton throws for >4000 and a 2:1 TD/INT ratio
+ Quinn getting his experience in the system to solidify himself as a B/U here
+ McD ready to unleash Tebow in 2011
= Orton tag & trade.......

Cutler is the gift that keeps on giving.

Paladin
05-18-2010, 07:20 AM
At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, it seems to me to be a stretch to believe that Tebow will be "unleashed" in 2011. Couple of reasoms.

First, we may not have pro ball in 2011. (2) But if the strife is finished by then, I just don't think Tebow will be as polished as Orton for a couple of years.
Third, If Orton has that sort of season, I don't think McD is going to just drop him. Fourth Orton would have been good enough to get the Broncos to the playoffs, and would deserve a chance to go further. (Yes, I think he can, despite the pronouncements of the sages hereon who never player proball themselves...).

Same to ya.....

mizzoutigers
05-18-2010, 07:37 AM
anyone know the official schedule for this spring camp. thanks

SoCalBronco
05-18-2010, 05:46 PM
At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, it seems to me to be a stretch to believe that Tebow will be "unleashed" in 2011. Couple of reasoms.

First, we may not have pro ball in 2011.

So?

Is there a point, here?

Why would there need to be an NFL season in 2011 for Tebow to be able to be dominant? That there isn't a season is largely irrelevant. What part of "its Tebow" isn't being comprehended here? The games themselves are mainly a semi-amusing sideshow. There's inherent value in simply watching Tim Tebow.

Well...at least you acknowledged taking the "risk" of sounding sacreligious. You took the risk........and lost.

;D

Steve Sewell
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM

lolwut

baja
05-18-2010, 06:18 PM

First, we may not have pro ball in 2011. (2) But if the strife is finished by then, I just don't think Tebow will be as polished as Orton for a couple of years.
Third, If Orton has that sort of season, I don't think McD is going to just drop him. Fourth Orton would have been good enough to get the Broncos to the playoffs, and would deserve a chance to go further. (Yes, I think he can, despite the pronouncements of the sages hereon who never player proball themselves...).

Same to ya.....

After the brass at jacksonville see the fan reaction during the season opener Josh will trade Tebow to them for two 1sts a second and a third and a starting player.

Or two.

Circle Orange
05-18-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna take a break and eat a bowl of marshmallows soaked in honey. You know, cut down on all the sugar...ROFL!