PDA

View Full Version : Texans Andre Johnson sitting out over contract

HEAV
05-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Andre Johnson missed first ota cause he's unhappy with contract that has five years left. 2 years ago he signed 8 year extension worth 60 mil and 15 in guarantees. 5 years left counting this one.

Brandon Marshall effect?

bowtown
05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Too bad we already traded Hillis.

Mr.Meanie
05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Johnson is doing it wrong. The only way to truly guarantee yourself a record contract is to act like a jackass in practice and get yourself arrested multiple times.

bronco militia
05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
5 years left on his contract....GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

tsiguy96
05-17-2010, 01:27 PM
maybe he shouldnt have signed it. this isnt like a late round rookie becoming a star, he signed this knowing full well how long this contract went.

btw, his agent is his uncle.

Beantown Bronco
05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
5 years left on his contract....GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

Seriously. If I were an owner, here's my default stance.

One year left? No problem.

Two years left? You better be performing WAAAAAAY above your pay and not be a "Goodell problem".

Three or more years left? You better be the consensus #1 player in the league at any position, have a few SB MVPs under your belt and be a model citizen off the field. In other words, no owner should ever be in a position to entertain this.

5 years.....C'mon man!

crush17
05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Dumb.

Houshyamama
05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe he's trying to renegotiate to get more of that to be guaranteed. 15M guaranteed is pretty small yeah? To me it's fairly understandable, I might do the same thing. He's arguably the best WR in the league.

Beantown Bronco
05-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I can understand guys that perform at an elite level and are stuck with crappy rookie deals because maybe they weren't drafted high, but this guy was the #3 pick overall back in 2003 and collected about $30 mil from his rookie contract. Then the team sits down with him in 2007, 2 years before his rookie deal is up, and signs him to a top WR paygrade extension. He then collects well over $20 mil in salary and bonuses over the next three years with that extension and complains?

It's not like he's clearly outplayed his contract ala Marshall. This guy has been shown the money since day one....and hasn't really put up elite numbers (mostly because of injury) until arguably the last two seasons.

Doggcow
05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
I can understand guys that perform at an elite level and are stuck with crappy rookie deals because maybe they weren't drafted high, but this guy was the #3 pick overall back in 2003 and collected about $30 mil from his rookie contract. Then the team sits down with him in 2007, 2 years before his rookie deal is up, and signs him to a top WR paygrade extension. He then collects well over $20 mil in salary and bonuses over the next three years with that extension and complains?

It's not like he's clearly outplayed his contract ala Marshall. This guy has been shown the money since day one....and hasn't really put up elite numbers (mostly because of injury) until arguably the last two seasons.

Boom.

Beantown Bronco
05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
He's arguably the best WR in the league.

He needs to get in the EZ more IMO.

9 TDs is his best over a season and he's only done that once. Considering how much that team throws the ball, that number needs to be higher.

_Oro_
05-17-2010, 02:08 PM
This is why we got rid of BM. I can see him doing the same thing as Andre here, in two years time.

Ambiguous
05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Lol. His uncle negotiated his current contract so he could save 3% he would pay to an agent.

Ambiguous
05-17-2010, 02:19 PM
This is why we got rid of BM. I can see him doing the same thing as Andre here, in two years time.

That would be pretty hilarious if the all time highest paid WR did that. :spit:

I'm glad that circus is gone personally.

Rabb
05-17-2010, 02:19 PM

that's just, false

HEAV
05-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Andre Johnson has five years remaining on a $60 million contract he signed with the Texans in 2007. The star receiver feels that he's already outplayed that contract, however, and was missing from the start of Houston's voluntary organized team activities on Monday.

Johnson, who led the NFL in receiving yards last season (1,569 yards), is scheduled to make $5.8 million this season, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Texans general manager Rick Smith told Houston media outlets on Monday that Johnson was missing because he was unhappy with his current contract.

Since Johnson signed his contract, the Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald received a four-year, $40 million deal and new Miami Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall agreed to a four-year, $47 million contract after he was traded from the Denver Broncos.

Smith told KRIV-TV in Houston that he was "not real worried" about the four-time Pro Bowler's absence.

"He's got five years left on [the deal he signed in 2007]. We're willing to sit down and talk with him and he knows that," Smith told KRIV.

Still, Smith said that re-doing a contract with five years remaining will be challenging.

"It's very difficult," Smith told KRIV. "It's something that's not customary, but we've got a relationship with him and he knows we are willing to sit down and talk with him."

Johnson has 587 receptions for 7,948 yards and 42 touchdowns in seven NFL seasons -- all with Houston.

Kaylore
05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Andre Johnson missed first ota cause he's unhappy with contract that has five years left. 2 years ago he signed 8 year extension worth 60 mil and 15 in guarantees. 5 years left counting this one.

Brandon Marshall effect?

And Boldin. Both got paid in a year when neither technically had to. I would argue that Johnson is at least as good, if not better, than both and deserves a payout. I don't blame him.

cmhargrove
05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Any chance he's just trying to get traded to another team? It worked for a few other receivers lately.

Kaylore
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Any chance he's just trying to get traded to another team? It worked for a few other receivers lately.

With five years left they have to know that's not going to happen - even with no cap hit.

Beantown Bronco
05-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Obviously, Andre is no math major. Someone finally just told him that he's going to be 33 years old when his current contract expires.

There's a reason you should never sign an 8 year contract in the NFL.

hookemhess
05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
And Boldin. Both got paid in a year when neither technically had to. I would argue that Johnson is at least as good, if not better, than both and deserves a payout. I don't blame him.

Andre is definitely better than both.

RhymesayersDU
05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Andre Johnson is probably the best WR in football. And in general, I don't have a huge problem with something like this because these guys can get cut or get hurt pretty easily.

But IMO it was pretty moronic to sign an 8-year deal in the first place. Such a long time in football. I know that he got some nice guaranteed money because of it, but still... I don't see how any agent in football would even negotiate longer than 5.

Mediator12
05-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Johnson is the best WR in football IMHO. However, he does not score TD's like some other WR's. That being said, he signed that deal in good faith and to stay in HOU for a long while. To come back and sit out just 2 years later is no longer a good faith option. It is a change in Philosophy. And to that, Rick Smith should say thanks but no thanks for a couple more years.....

watermock
05-18-2010, 07:00 AM
5 years left, good luck.

Inmates are running the assylum.

He cried out in 2 years and now wants to cry out in 2 more?

Haynsworth sitting on his as for 100 million?

tsiguy96
05-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Andre Johnson is probably the best WR in football. And in general, I don't have a huge problem with something like this because these guys can get cut or get hurt pretty easily.

But IMO it was pretty moronic to sign an 8-year deal in the first place. Such a long time in football. I know that he got some nice guaranteed money because of it, but still... I don't see how any agent in football would even negotiate longer than 5.

he doesnt have an agent, he was his own agent with his uncle as his advisor.

id tell him too bad, this **** is ridiculous now. if he got hurt or cut today, he banked something like 35 million from the NFL. boo hoo. he signed the contract, now he can play with it.

Beantown Bronco
05-18-2010, 08:05 AM
id tell him too bad, this **** is ridiculous now. if he got hurt or cut today, he banked something like 35 million from the NFL. boo hoo. he signed the contract, now he can play with it.

Even worse. It's more like $50 mil actually.

worm
05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
The other Johnson isn't happy either. Similar situation to BMarsh. I have more tolerance (but still not much) when a player vastly outperforms a rookie contract (even a 1st round one) versus reneging on a contract that you signed.

Personally, I think it would be awesome to see base pay for all players...then the rest of the player money is pooled per team. At the end of the year, players are ranked by the team top to bottom and the pie gets doled out to players based on performance and value from that year.

Instead of stat sheet metrics being the only important thing...your value to the club would be based on a variety of factors. Tangible and intangible.

You then get paid accordingly. Value and bonus money are assessed like this across corporate America every year. It works.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5197469
Chris Johnson has skipped the Titans' voluntary practices this offseason as he hopes to get a bigger contract after his 2,000-yard 2009 season. One of the best running backs in NFL history applauds his stance.

Marshall Faulk told The (Nashville) Tennessean than Johnson is doing the right thing.

"Without a doubt, if more money is what he wants, he has to hold out," Faulk, who is now an NFL Network analyst, told the newspaper. "You have to know who you are dealing with. The Titans aren't known for caving in or paying, it doesn't matter who you are. In my opinion, there is no way he can come in and play under the current contract.''

AFC South blog

Kuharsky ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Johnson is expected to be absent when the Titans take part in their fifth practice of the offseason Tuesday.

Johnson has three years left on the $12 million contract he signed in 2008 that featured $7 million guaranteed. But his base salary for 2010 doesn't even put him close to being one of the best paid players on the Titans, let alone the NFL. Johnson is due $550,000 for 2010.

Faulk told The Tennessean that Johnson has to use his leverage with the Titans while he still has it.

"Chris has outplayed his rookie deal. He has beyond exceeded the expectation where he was drafted,'' Faulk told the newspaper. "When you are drafted you are paid as to where you were drafted, not to how you play. And then after you play and prove your worth you are then paid as to how you play. He has exceeded the money he is making, the Titans know it and everyone in the league knows it."

The running back picked No. 24 overall in 2008 started talking of wanting more money as he wrapped up his second season as The Associated Press' 2009 Offensive Press Offensive Player of the Year.

"That's something my agent has got to take care of, my agent and upstairs," Johnson said in January, the day after the season ended. "I'm not sure. I need to get Bud Adams number."

Johnson ran 358 times for 2,006 yards as the NFL's leading rusher by 590 yards more than Steven Jackson of St. Louis. He set the single-season record for yards from scrimmage with 2,509, topping Faulk's mark of 2,429 set in 1999 with St. Louis. He became the first player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards and catch 500 yards in the same season.

He also became the first player in NFL history to rush for three touchdowns of 85 yards or longer in a career, which he did in one season. Through two seasons, Johnson ranks third in NFL history with 3,234 yards to start his career. Only Eric Dickerson (3,318) and Edgerrin James (3,262) ran for more in their first two seasons.