PDA

View Full Version : Forget LeBron/Kobe -- Let's Talk NBA Point Guards

RhymesayersDU
05-15-2010, 09:15 AM
So I've never been a huge PG guy. I mean, I love watching hoops but I always gravitated to the Forwards and Centers. I played Center when I was a pup, so maybe that's why. Anyways, this year I feel has been amazing for PGs, and it's been great to watch.

YOUR JOB: Vote for a PG. I guess just who you think is the best. The hard part of this argument is always "Who is the best right now" versus "Who would you start a team with right now" because the latter question obviously skews much younger. You might think Nash is the best right now, but starting a team you might take Rondo. Two different questions, obviously.

So vote however you see fit. Who you like, whatever. I was going to make it all young guys but I couldn't leave Nash off the list, and with Nash on the list I felt I should include Kidd and Chauncey, who weren't going to be on the list originally.

I almost added guys like John Wall and Ricky Rubio to the list to "spice things up" if you will, but felt that it would just complicate things. If you want to make a case for somebody off the list, go with "Other." Also, I took the names from a list of PG's, so maybe I omitted somebody or maybe there's a combo guard who isn't on the list. It's hard with how many guys play PG and SG, etc. The most glaring omission is a guy like Brandon Roy, but he doesn't play the 1, does he? Likewise, maybe I have a guy on the list who shouldn't be there.

Names are in no particular order. Go!

FADERPROOF
05-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Brutal choice between Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Steve Nash...had to go with Williams though.

BroncoMatt
05-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Williams single handedly beat the nugs this year, hard to pick against him

RhymesayersDU
05-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Derron vs. Paul in the West should be good, when Paul gets healthy and gets a good team around him.

Derron put on a show that whole round 1 series.

Anaximines
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Rondo is great but I've got to give it up for my favorite, Westbrook

FantomForce
05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
It pains me to say it but Williams just seems to get better every year, he has a complete all around game and sees the entire floor, man can pull up a triple double whenever he decides

Gcver2ver3
05-15-2010, 10:30 AM
right now williams...(because paul is injured)....

to start a team....well, just look to your left...

GoBroncos84
05-15-2010, 10:39 AM
D-Will is the best in the game at his position right now. I agree with your initial assessment, there is a major cache of talent at the PG position right now. I love watching Paul and Rose, among others. The Williams/Paul debate will probably continue until one of them wins a title, but if its my decision I take Deron Williams

You misspelled his first name, BTW. Deron, only one "R"

ohiobronco2
05-15-2010, 10:40 AM
LBJ:approve:

Williams. Paul joins the discussion when healthy.

Maximus
05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
My Goodness why are you doing this :D

Maximus
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I voted for Nash just because of his accomplishments however, Tyreke Evans and Derron Williams are the best of the bunch

Houshyamama
05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I think Chris Paul is the right answer here. Williams is shining while he is injured, but Paul is the better PG IMO and will most likely prove it next season. He does more to help his team win than any other player in the league.

RhymesayersDU
05-15-2010, 11:05 AM
See the problem with Deron Williams here is that I fear that due to the thrashing he gave the Nuggies, the Colorado faithful will instantly vote for him... And that's not to say he doesn't deserve it, the guy is amazing. But in retrospect I wonder if recent events will skew the poll to Deron and Rondo for that matter, considering the recent amazing performances.

Flex Gunmetal
05-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Gotta personally chose Rose. I watched more East games this year than I have before, and he's the most fun to watch. CP3 would be #2.

Maximus
05-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I would rank them like this youth movement

1. Derron Williams
2. Tyrek Evans
3. Chris Paul
4. Stephon Curry
5. Brandon Jennings

Old Guard

1. Steve Nash
2. Chauncey Billups
3. Tony Parker
4. Jason Kidd
5. Baron Davis

Rose should move to the 2 spot. Rondo is a product of the boston system. Jameer Nelson is good but not dominant and Westbrook has to do it consistently during the regular season 1 more time for me to rank him appropriately

FADERPROOF
05-15-2010, 11:56 AM
See the problem with Deron Williams here is that I fear that due to the thrashing he gave the Nuggies, the Colorado faithful will instantly vote for him... And that's not to say he doesn't deserve it, the guy is amazing. But in retrospect I wonder if recent events will skew the poll to Deron and Rondo for that matter, considering the recent amazing performances.

No biased here and I voted for Deron Williams.

For the two people that voted for Rondo, the Cavs series is not any indicator on him. He is a good PG, that's it. He can drive and pass, but can't hit a free throw or a jump shot for the most part and forget about him even attempting a 3 pointer.

He is good but not a complete player by any means...

Zoobie
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Steph Curry, this kid is special.

maher_tyler
05-15-2010, 02:03 PM
The homer in me chose Rose, although he's getting better and will be top 5 PG's in the league and eventually best in the league a couple of years. If i didn't choose him i woulda picked Nash.

maher_tyler
05-15-2010, 02:07 PM

1. Derron Williams
2. Tyrek Evans
3. Chris Paul
4. Stephon Curry
5. Brandon Jennings

Old Guard

1. Steve Nash
2. Chauncey Billups
3. Tony Parker
4. Jason Kidd
5. Baron Davis

Rose should move to the 2 spot. Rondo is a product of the boston system. Jameer Nelson is good but not dominant and Westbrook has to do it consistently during the regular season 1 more time for me to rank him appropriately

Rose is a beast dude...have you watched any of there games??

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lp-zqIYGjNg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lp-zqIYGjNg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

extralife
05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
This is a tough thread. I think the NBA probably has more talent at PG right now than at any other point in its history. I lean toward Paul because he was a step ahead of everyone as late as just last year. Only injuries have slowed him, really. That said, D-Will has become a complete player, Rondo is a freak with some real unique skills, and Nash is still the best passer in the league.

extralife
05-15-2010, 02:12 PM
No biased here and I voted for Deron Williams.

For the two people that voted for Rondo, the Cavs series is not any indicator on him. He is a good PG, that's it. He can drive and pass, but can't hit a free throw or a jump shot for the most part and forget about him even attempting a 3 pointer.

He is good but not a complete player by any means...

But he's a great defender, the best rebounder at his position, a leader, and a guy that gets better when he has to. He can make every pass and is a great slasher. He's basically the next Jason Kidd.

Houshyamama
05-15-2010, 02:15 PM
I voted for Nash just because of his accomplishments however, Tyreke Evans and Derron Williams are the best of the bunch

Why all the love for Tyreke Evans from you? He's good, but better than Paul?? :spit:

maher_tyler
05-15-2010, 02:19 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9D9fNb8blGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9D9fNb8blGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Inkana7
05-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Pretty sure Tyreke Evans is a SG.

ludo21
05-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Steve Nash, Nash, and then Nash! ;D

PG of the future I'd take:
Derron Williams
Chris Paul
Steph Curry

Rondo is great but doesnt always show up, plus he cant shoot, same for Derrick Rose.

FADERPROOF
05-15-2010, 02:35 PM
But he's a great defender, the best rebounder at his position, a leader, and a guy that gets better when he has to. He can make every pass and is a great slasher. He's basically the next Jason Kidd.

Jason Kidd could shoot the ball though, Rondo needs to develop that(if he can) in order to be considered the next Jason Kidd.

Teams literally dont guard him until the free throw line, and any good defender can limit his driving because of that cushion, they will give him a 3 pointer or 18 foot jumper any time he wants be.

extralife
05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Kidd couldn't really shoot early in his career, though.

Boss Man
05-15-2010, 04:15 PM

1. Derron Williams
2. Tyrek Evans
3. Chris Paul
4. Stephon Curry
5. Brandon Jennings

Old Guard

1. Steve Nash
2. Chauncey Billups
3. Tony Parker
4. Jason Kidd
5. Baron Davis

damn no love for russell westbrook...i find that **** pretty comical, i guess most just havent seen him play enough

Boss Man
05-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Jason Kidd could shoot the ball though, Rondo needs to develop that(if he can) in order to be considered the next Jason Kidd.

Teams literally dont guard him until the free throw line, and any good defender can limit his driving because of that cushion, they will give him a 3 pointer or 18 foot jumper any time he wants be.

kidd has actually been a poor shooter throughout his entire career...

RhymesayersDU
05-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Pretty sure Tyreke Evans is a SG.

See I actually agree. He wasn't even on my original list of guys off the top of my head. I googled around a bit, found lists of PGs and his name kept popping up on them. Although I didn't see Sacramento play at all unless they played the Nuggies.

Same goes for Stephen Curry as well. I thought he was a SG but his name popped up on lists for PG.

extralife
05-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Tyreke is a point forward, Curry is an undersized 2.

Gcver2ver3
05-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Steve Nash, Nash, and then Nash! ;D

PG of the future I'd take:
Derron Williams
Chris Paul
Steph Curry

Rondo is great but doesnt always show up, plus he cant shoot, same for Derrick Rose.

couple years back...rose couldn't shoot it well...

but as of now rose has one of the sickest midrange games in the league...

he deep range is still a weakness, but considering he's only 21 yrs old, he'll get there...

Maximus
05-15-2010, 05:53 PM
I see a few of you don't know about Ty Evans... He is unstoppable can post and has mid range already... Once he improves his passing and overall command of the game you will all look back on this thread and say what was I thinking... I watch as many nba games as possible and all laker games so I saw all the Sacramento laker games and this kid is unreal!

Maximus
05-15-2010, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02EE569wq50

FADERPROOF
05-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I see a few of you don't know about Ty Evans... He is unstoppable can post and has mid range already... Once he improves his passing and overall command of the game you will all look back on this thread and say what was I thinking... I watch as many nba games as possible and all laker games so I saw all the Sacramento laker games and this kid is unreal!

Evans might be the next best thing, 20-5-5 from a rookie guard is just sick!

Houshyamama
05-15-2010, 06:24 PM

fair enough

Zoobie
05-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Tyreke is a point forward, Curry is an undersized 2.

Curry is a PG through and through. The kid can shoot, steal and dish the rock. He is truly spectacular, I had the pleasure(even as a Blazer fan) of watching him many times this past season.

He averaged 17.5 PPG, 6 APG, and 2 SPG this season, quite a year for the rook. Not to mention aside from the Trailblazers, the Warriors were the most injured team in basketball and had many d-leaguers starting for them throughout the regular season. Imagine what he will do with a better, healthier supporting cast and few years experience, the warriors can put up a LOT of points between Curry and Montae Ellis.

If i'm starting a team today, i'd take Steph Curry as my point guard.

azbroncfan
05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Williams. Complete game plus the size to not be dominated on the defensive end. He can shoot, pass, get to the hole, dunk on you, etc. My only complaint is sometimes he needs to be more selfish and take more shots. He is a great PG and will probably be a FA when his contract is up.

Inkana7
05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
See I actually agree. He wasn't even on my original list of guys off the top of my head. I googled around a bit, found lists of PGs and his name kept popping up on them. Although I didn't see Sacramento play at all unless they played the Nuggies.

Same goes for Stephen Curry as well. I thought he was a SG but his name popped up on lists for PG.

Evans played PG in college, but SG in the NBA. Curry was a SG for most of his college career, switched to PG his last year, and plays that for golden state.

RhymesayersDU
05-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Evans played PG in college, but SG in the NBA. Curry was a SG for most of his college career, switched to PG his last year, and plays that for golden state.

Interesting. The lines are certainly blurred as the years go on. Guys get bigger, can play multiple positions, etc.

Inkana7
05-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Interesting. The lines are certainly blurred as the years go on. Guys get bigger, can play multiple positions, etc.

Evans is much more of a scorer(read: Ball hog) while Curry really started to become a great passer towards the end of this season, to go along with his excellent shooting and offensive skillset.

ZONA
05-16-2010, 05:35 PM
......and that's not the piece sign he's giving with his fingers BTW, hahahaha.

2 time MVP - hands down best PG is Nash. He wins the skills competition every year he competes and he makes every player on his team better.

http://www.nba.com/media/suns/nash_0506mvp_index.jpg

Majik
05-16-2010, 05:57 PM

They are SG's and their stats are also greatly inflated due to the horrible teams they played on. I'd love to see them duplicate the numbers they put up when the games matter and not during garbage minutes when they are down by 20.

RhymesayersDU
05-16-2010, 06:00 PM
They are SG's and their stats are also greatly inflated due to the horrible teams they played on. I'd love to see them duplicate the numbers they put up when the games matter and not during garbage minutes when they are down by 20.

The bleach is working much slower than I had hoped. Keep drinking.

Bigdawg26
05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Chris Paul- the guy is amazing when healthy and actually has talent around him
Deron Williams- I would give him the edge because he's bigger and a better shooter but doesn't has the vision and not as exciting as Paul
Derek Rose- the guy is great
Steve Nash- it seems like he never misses a shot and always makes the right decision

ohiobronco2
05-17-2010, 07:20 AM
......and that's not the piece sign he's giving with his fingers BTW, hahahaha.

2 time MVP - hands down best PG is Nash. He wins the skills competition every year he competes and he makes every player on his team better.

http://www.nba.com/media/suns/nash_0506mvp_index.jpg

I think he is still the guy for now, but not for too much longer. I'd like to see him win the title.

OABB
05-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Nash is amazing. It's like he has eyes on the side of his head.

RhymesayersDU
05-22-2010, 08:11 PM
So Rondo continues to just be magnificent.

Bigdawg26
05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Don't let all the playoff hype fool you because Williams and Paul aren't playing right now! Rando has nothing on Derron Williams (when his team is healthy), Chris Paul (when he is healthy and has at least decent talent around him), and Derek Rose ( a bigger and better version of rando)!

AlphaOmega
05-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Nash is amazing. It's like he has eyes on the side of his head.

He's got that Shanny, carzy eye, thing going on!

TomServo
05-23-2010, 01:06 AM
the NBA sucks SO So So So Bad. When the NBA announced the all 80's team they included shaq but NOT alex English. alex english scored more points in the '80s than anyone. new years day 1980 to new years day 1990. more than ANY NBA player. more than magic johnson more than kareem more than Bird. back in the day even a total thug like bill lambier could hit a 16 footer and make his free throws. todays NBA sucks So bad

extralife
05-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Something tells me Shaq was not on the NBA all 80's team. Just a hunch.

Beantown Bronco
05-23-2010, 04:40 AM
the NBA sucks SO So So So Bad. When the NBA announced the all 80's team they included shaq

Dude, Shaq was drafted in 1992. Imagining things?

RhymesayersDU
05-23-2010, 08:11 AM
the NBA sucks SO So So So Bad. When the NBA announced the all 80's team they included shaq but NOT alex English. alex english scored more points in the '80s than anyone. new years day 1980 to new years day 1990. more than ANY NBA player. more than magic johnson more than kareem more than Bird. back in the day even a total thug like bill lambier could hit a 16 footer and make his free throws. todays NBA sucks So bad

And even if Shaq was included ahead of English, it'd be deserved. Shaq won multiple titles and was an all-time great in his prime. Points alone does not a great player make.

But I get it; nothing is ever as good as it was when you were a kid. Along with the 5 mile walks in the snow to school, uphill both ways. Boo hoo.

RhymesayersDU
05-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Don't let all the playoff hype fool you because Williams and Paul aren't playing right now! Rando has nothing on Derron Williams (when his team is healthy), Chris Paul (when he is healthy and has at least decent talent around him), and Derek Rose ( a bigger and better version of rando)!

I don't know... I think Rondo may be forcing himself into the Deron/CP3 discussion. I mean obviously it's easy to say that right now because he's still playing, etc. It could just be a knee-jerk reaction, but he's playing pretty well.

HILife
05-23-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/tebownation.jpg

extralife
05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't know... I think Rondo may be forcing himself into the Deron/CP3 discussion. I mean obviously it's easy to say that right now because he's still playing, etc. It could just be a knee-jerk reaction, but he's playing pretty well.

Rondo doesn't have the consistency or the offensive upside of those two I don't think.

RhymesayersDU
05-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Rondo doesn't have the consistency or the offensive upside of those two I don't think.

Fair enough. His jumper isn't great.

brom66an6
05-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I had to go with Parker I would take 3 Championships and a Finals MVP over what the others have right now. Production is what i look at and he has the most of it out of them all. In a couple years though Rose and Paul could change my answer.
http://www.clap.name/images/blog/tony_parker.jpg

Dedhed
05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Rondo doesn't have the consistency or the offensive upside of those two I don't think.If you include defense, rebounding and assists he's more consistent than both.

bfoflcommish
05-24-2010, 07:39 AM
if I would have voted in this 3 months ago my vote would have been cp3, but now holy cow Rando is a beast!

DrFate
05-24-2010, 08:46 AM

And he still puts up a triple double. He can't win a game of HORSE - but he's the best player in the Celts/Magic series.

azbroncfan
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
If you include defense, rebounding and assists he's more consistent than both.

Maybe defense he has on Williams but I would take Williams everywhere else. DWILL doesn't get many rebounds because in Sloan's system he is the guy who is responsible to play safety and stop easy buckets going the other way. Rarely is he below the FT line on defense. Williams can shoot 100X better, drive just as well, can swap to 2 guard like and play another PG, more assists, better FT shooter, better clutch shooter, etc. I do like Rondo a lot though he is more of the Jason Kidd mold and is a great defender.

Arkansas Bronco
05-24-2010, 10:50 AM

1. Derron Williams
2. Tyrek Evans
3. Chris Paul
4. Stephon Curry
5. Brandon Jennings

Old Guard

1. Steve Nash
2. Chauncey Billups
3. Tony Parker
4. Jason Kidd
5. Baron Davis

On pure pg play Kidd was the best on your list. Never seen O. Robinson play so Stockton is #1 of all time, Magic cant win because he played freakin every pos. and well was very good at em all. I voted Paul right now but Rose will be one of the best.