PDA

View Full Version : A Different Kind of Quarterback

oubronco
05-14-2010, 09:15 PM
A Different Kind of Quarterback

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Tim Tebow is different.

Different from Sam Bradford. Different from Jimmy Clausen. Different from Colt McCoy. Different from Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Different in the sense that in addition to his 9,285 passing yards for 88 touchdowns and just 18 interceptions at the University of Florida, he gained 2,947 yards on the ground with an SEC-record 57 rushing touchdowns. Different because he rushed for a touchdown on a designed quarterback scramble on his first play as a Gator and operated mostly out of the shotgun for the rest of his collegiate career. Different because he was the first player in NCAA history to win the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore. Different because he's a two-time BCS National Champion.

But the truth is every quarterback has traits that make him just as different from all the others.

"Rivers doesn't do it the way that Brees does," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Manning doesn't do it the way that Brady does. Donovan McNabb doesn't do it the way that any of those guys do it. Ben Roethlisberger is different than those five. To me, there's not a carbon copy that's being sold around the NFL."

Rather, there is a set of traits that coaches hope every quarterback possesses.

"You want a guy that is tough and smart, a great leader, has those football intangibles that you're looking for and will work hard to fix some things that maybe he doesn't do perfectly," McDaniels said.

After watching Tebow's tape and meeting with him at the NFL Scouting Combine, in Denver and in Gainesville, Fla., the Broncos were convinced that he fits that description, trading up to pick him with the 25th overall selection in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Tebow is the player who rushed for a 20-yard touchdown on a broken leg at Nease High School.

He is the quarterback who famously apologized to Florida fans after a loss to Ole Miss, promising that "you will never see any player in the entire country play as hard as I will play the rest of the season, and you'll never see someone push the rest of the team as hard as I will push everybody the rest of the season, and you'll never see a team play harder than we will the rest of the season."

The Gators closed the season with a National Championship.

He is the prospect who heard the critiques about his throwing motion, so he worked on it to the tune of more than 900 passes a day to ensure he will be ready for the NFL when his number is called. He said his new technique "became muscle memory a long time ago."

And he is the rookie who vows to do everything he can to prove his doubters wrong, and reward McDaniels and the Broncos for taking a chance on him.

"Just like it was when I was at Florida, my biggest thrill was doing things for Coach (Urban) Meyer, winning championships and being able to help him," Tebow said. "That's going to be my greatest joy in Denver -- to repay Coach McDaniels for believing in me."

Tebow readily admits that he has plenty to work on in order to make that happen. In his first minicamp with the team, he worked to improve on his footwork, drops, cadences, identifying middle linebackers and going through his progressions while in the pocket.

"That is my goal -- I want to be a great pocket passer," the rookie said. "That's something I'm working on. Then if it breaks down and you have an opportunity to do something, you add on with God-given ability."

McDaniels has stated that he expects him to operate out of the pocket just like every other signal caller on the squad. But that doesn't mean the team will limit what made Tebow so successful in college -- if he earns the right to get on the field.

"We are going to try to use the talents and abilities of the players we have to make sure that they are always doing something that they can be successful with," McDaniels said. "If he can do something out of the pocket and he deserves to be on the field -- that's the biggest thing -- then maybe that would warrant us doing some other things."

"I won't deny that he gives you an opportunity to create some un-gameplanned production," he continued. "You draw the play up there on the board and all of a sudden it doesn't necessarily look as pretty as I thought it would, but then he makes it work some other way. There is an element to his game like that."

Some of that un-gameplanned production with the Gators is what helped Tebow generate an SEC-record 12,232 yards of total offense in his career. He averaged 7.25 yards every time he touched the ball, which ranks third in conference history. His 145 total touchdowns broke the previous SEC record by 23 scores. He threw at least one touchdown pass in 38 of his 41 starts, completed 66.43 percent of his passes and racked up a 170.79 pass efficiency rating -- an SEC all-time record.

Coaches have already seen that the rookie's work ethic is exactly as advertised.

"Curfew is like a bad word for him, and it's not because he wants to be in a tavern somewhere," McDaniels said. "We've got a long way to go, but we think that if you put a guy with great work ethic together with some people that -- hopefully we know what we're talking about -- maybe we can make something pretty productive out of it."

The changes Tebow will have to make to succeed at the next level don't faze former Bronco and current NFL on FOX color commentator John Lynch.

"Will he have some issues translating his skills from college to the NFL?" Lynch asked at his annual Salute the Stars Awards luncheon. "Yeah, but so will (No. 1 overall pick) Sam Braford. I just think there's a positive feeling to what's going on around here."

Now the quarterback who closed out his college career by setting Bowl Championship Series records with 482 yards passing and 533 yards of total offense in a 51-24 victory against Cincinnati in the Allstate Sugar Bowl is looking to keep that momentum rolling into his professional career.

Still, Tebow recognizes that all the accomplishments in the world don't make him a sure thing in NFL. He joins a team that has an established starter in Kyle Orton, a former first-round pick in Brady Quinn and a 2009 draft pick in Tom Brandstater already in the quarterbacks room, two of which have a year in McDaniels' system under their belts.

He knows he is going to have to work hard to even be able to compete with those players and earn the respect of the locker room. And he can't wait to get started.

"Now it's just time to push into another gear and just go and grind and not show my face until maybe after my rookie year, to be honest with you," Tebow said. "I'm just excited about that. I'm excited about working, learning and competing, because that's what I'm all about. That's who I am."

One person who believes the rookie can make the jump is John Elway.

"He wants to get better, he wants to learn, he wants to change his release to make him better," Elway told a group of reporters. "I think that any time you have a guy that's that open to learning, and then you've got a guy like Josh, who's a young guy who has coached Tom Brady and Matt Cassel and done a great job with them, I think it's a great relationship. He'll continue to learn. I think Tim is too much of a competitor not to get a shot in this league.

"It will be interesting to see how good he can be."

^5

Paladin
05-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Screw it, I'm ready for TC......

strafen
05-14-2010, 10:04 PM
One person who believes the rookie can make the jump is John Elway.

"He wants to get better, he wants to learn, he wants to change his release to make him better," Elway told a group of reporters. "I think that any time you have a guy that's that open to learning, and then you've got a guy like Josh, who's a young guy who has coached Tom Brady and Matt Cassel and done a great job with them, I think it's a great relationship. He'll continue to learn. I think Tim is too much of a competitor not to get a shot in this league.

^5That's exactly how I feel. I think Tebow will be a great QB, not good, he'll be a great QB.
I'm all for starting him this year. Screw waiting a year or two, let's not kill his drive, his inspiration, and everything he's got going for him right now.
I doubt there's any other QB (rookie) right now, who has done his homework to be ready for the NFL as Tebow has.

You can not possibly put that much work and not be ready.
Here, for Tebow to start the season as our new QB! :thumbsup::strong:

strafen
05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
We've got OTA (Organized Tebow Activities) next week, and then TC (Tebow Camp) in July! :thumbs:

baja
05-14-2010, 10:25 PM
John Elway- "He wants to get better, he wants to learn, he wants to change his release to make him better," Elway told a group of reporters. "I think that any time you have a guy that's that open to learning, and then you've got a guy like Josh, who's a young guy who has coached Tom Brady and Matt Cassel and done a great job with them, I think it's a great relationship. He'll continue to learn. I think Tim is too much of a competitor not to get a shot in this league.

Gotta love that.

SoCalBronco
05-14-2010, 10:38 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKMwOtJdqy4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKMwOtJdqy4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ratboy
05-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I feel like hopping on the Tebow bandwagon for these funny jokes.

Internet meme for sure..

BroncoBuff
05-14-2010, 11:31 PM
That is actually a very pragmatic way to look at Tebow ... his style is different, sure.

Still, I'm thinking toughness and leadership - which he's obviosly loaded with - might not go as far in the NFL as they did in college.

That Hitler video is classic....

BroncoBuff
05-14-2010, 11:45 PM
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1714/picjm.jpg

ROFL!

elsid13
05-15-2010, 04:58 AM
I am still not buying the media spin that Tebow is "different" kind of QB. He is athletic kid that played in Spread Option system and was successful. He's no different then Pat White two season ago or Kordell Stewart from decade plus ago.

DivineLegion
05-15-2010, 05:07 AM
I am still not buying the media spin that Tebow is "different" kind of QB. He is athletic kid that played in Spread Option system and was successful. He's no different then Pat White two season ago or Kordell Stewart from decade plus ago.

Thats not totaly true. Kordell Stewart had some major mental issues, and Pat White has been on double rats since high school trying to get his weight over 180 pounds (The anti Jamarcus Russell).

meangene
05-15-2010, 05:08 AM
The more I read about Tebow and the quotes coming out about him from Dove Valley, the more I think he earns the starting job from day one. I think his unique skill set will give NFL defenses fits. Clearly, he is the QB of the future in Denver. Teams have been successful with rookie QB's in recent years - it's not like it used to be. The key will be how well the OL plays and the effectiveness of the running game. We can't expect him to carry the team as a rookie but he can be effective if the offense is balanced.

elsid13
05-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Thats not totaly true. Kordell Stewart had some major mental issues, and Pat White has been on double rats since high school trying to get his weight over 180 pounds (The anti Jamarcus Russell).

But the skills set each of those player brought to the NFL were similar to Tebow. Both average NFL arms, had/have the ability to move outside the pocket and have/had to adapt to playing under center. So neither comparison is that far off.

I also hate to say it but Tebow work ethic is also getting a little to much media hype. There are players coming into NFL and are already there that work their ass off to improve too.

The media and some fans are setting this kid up for a lot of criticism if he doesn't live up to the hype.

The Joker
05-15-2010, 06:00 AM
I must say I laughed at McDaniels using the word tavern instead of bar.

broncogary
05-15-2010, 07:25 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKMwOtJdqy4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKMwOtJdqy4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sounds like mock. :rofl:

Especially if he was talking about Alphonso Smith.

strafen
05-15-2010, 08:26 AM
I am still not buying the media spin that Tebow is "different" kind of QB. He is athletic kid that played in Spread Option system and was successful. He's no different then Pat White two season ago or Kordell Stewart from decade plus ago.Come on man.
Those comparisons are absurd.
While what you say about any or every QB working hard is true, Tebow has had more to work for than any QB currently trying to make it in the NFL or fighting for a spot rookie or vet.

Quite frankly, he's been on the spotlight and the kid has done nothing but win all his life. He can't win in the eyes of the critics.

There's been QB with bad mechanics that have made it to the NFL and nobody cared. Tebow gets scrutinized for every move he makes.

Tebow in in a class by himself. He's athletic, physical fit, relentless, passionate, inspired, good arm, an improviser, and has a great heart. That's a good tangible/intangible skills combo to have all wrapped up in one person. Not many QB have all of that. You can easily mistake him for Pat White LOL or Kordell Stewart Hilarious! but being a "scrambler" QB doesn't make Tebow one of them. Come on man. That's low!

There's only one way to find out. I like my chances of being right on this one.

no-pseudo-fan
05-15-2010, 08:37 AM
This is a guy that dominated College as Soph... Which is impressive because that makes him 19-20 yrs old. Scary thought, he is not even close to a finished product.

strafen
05-15-2010, 08:51 AM
But the skills set each of those player brought to the NFL were similar to Tebow. Both average NFL arms, had/have the ability to move outside the pocket and have/had to adapt to playing under center. So neither comparison is that far off.

I also hate to say it but Tebow work ethic is also getting a little to much media hype. There are players coming into NFL and are already there that work their ass off to improve too.

The media and some fans are setting this kid up for a lot of criticism if he doesn't live up to the hype.What were those guys accomplishments in college?

...nevermind :D

Rohirrim
05-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Hilarious!

This will become one of the puzzles of the NFL - Why didn't the Jags pick Tebow and at least secure their base and sell all the merchandise? One of the great stupidities in modern NFL business history.

baja
05-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Hilarious!

This will become one of the puzzles of the NFL - Why didn't the Jags pick Tebow and at least secure their base and sell all the merchandise? One of the great stupidities in modern NFL business history.

My guess is they tried to get cute, they thought they could grab him in the second round and were shocked when Denver took him at 25.

cabronco
05-15-2010, 10:38 AM
My guess is they tried to get cute, they thought they could grab him in the second round and were shocked when Denver took him at 25.

Ya, well we owed them one anyways..:thumbsup:

meangene
05-15-2010, 12:34 PM

It's gonna be funny week 1 when it's like a Bronco home game with all the Tebow jerseys. If he is starting, it will be even better!

BroncoBuff
05-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Good points ... I'm not sure about those examples, but there have been many "different kinds of quarterbacks," most of which have failed.

It'd be nice to hear some examples of "different" quarterbacks who succeeded.

elsid13
05-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Good points ... I'm not sure about those examples, but there have been many "different kinds of quarterbacks," most of which have failed.

I used White because he 1) came from same offense system, 2) had very similar stats 3) both were high recruited QBs and 4) both have similar questions about their ability to play QB in NFL.

In the end of the day, it about making plays from the pocket, and the question for Tebow, like any QB coming from this spread-option read, can he do that.

Tombstone RJ
05-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Hard not to like Tebow, he is saying all the right things. I'd love to see him develop the way he sees it going (sitting on the bench learning this year) using him in Wild Horse stuff for now. I'd love for Orton to have a fantastic year. I'd love to see Orton, Quinn and Tebow all on the field at the same time (that's got all sorts of potential). I'd love to see Quinn, Moreno and Tebow all on the field together. This offense has so many mismatch possibilties it's going to be utterly wierd. Add in bigger, better olineman and yah, good stuff.

meangene
05-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Steve Young is the Tebow comparison I have heard the most. Young was faster but not as big as Tebow. Still, he had to learn to resist his "run first" mentality and learn to become an effective pocket passer. Vince Young came from a spread offense and looks to be developing into a successful NFL QB. He certainly does not have Tebow's football smarts and lacked the same work ethic or leadership in his early years. Really, when Joe Montana came out, he was certainly not the prototype QB but the Niners developed their offense around his skill set.

Archer81
05-15-2010, 06:51 PM
A different kind of quarterback...

http://tinyurl.com/2avgg3q

:Broncos:

broncogary
05-15-2010, 08:36 PM

If you'd watch the video you wouldn't have to guess. :welcome:

strafen
05-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I used White because he 1) came from same offense system, 2) had very similar stats 3) both were high recruited QBs and 4) both have similar questions about their ability to play QB in NFL.

In the end of the day, it about making plays from the pocket, and the question for Tebow, like any QB coming from this spread-option read, can he do that.

Jake Plummer had the same style of play.
He was a scrambler with a run first mentality and not quite what I'd call a pocket passer.
Yet, he had relatively good success playing the Broncos offense...

Circle Orange
05-15-2010, 11:48 PM
It will be a miracle if we're not diabetic from this endless sugar pap. Gee, a qb that runs. We've never seen that before. A qb that throws. We've never seen that before, either! A qb with charisma. Have no idea, never seen it. A qb that inspires with leadership. Well, shoot! another ringer.

"He's going to (insert name here) revolutionize the way the position is played."

And I've heard that (insert number of times here) before.

This manufactured obsession is really getting silly. http://scosoft.com/s/p/1a1220ec.gif

elsid13
05-16-2010, 04:46 AM
It will be a miracle if we're not diabetic from this endless sugar pap. Gee, a qb that runs. We've never seen that before. A qb that throws. We've never seen that before, either! A qb with charisma. Have no idea, never seen it. A qb that inspires with leadership. Well, shoot! another ringer.

"He's going to (insert name here) revolutionize the way the position is played."

And I've heard that (insert number of times here) before.

This manufactured obsession is really getting silly. http://scosoft.com/s/p/1a1220ec.gif

Exactly

Mr.Meanie
05-16-2010, 09:51 AM

:rofl:

Obviously photoshopped, but hilarious regardless

Dedhed
05-16-2010, 10:49 AM

I think you missed the point.

colonelbeef
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Correct.

all of the "I'm a hard worker and I'm gonna try really hard" fluff is just fluff.

Make the team and play well, and try not to be a dick and break the law in the process. That is all we are interested in.

snowspot66
05-16-2010, 02:28 PM

I don't buy that. Tebow's worst statistical year was better than White's best in almost every category.

It is about making plays. I don't see any reason to doubt that he can.

elsid13
05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't buy that. Tebow's worst statistical year was better than White's best in almost every category.

It is about making plays. I don't see any reason to doubt that he can.

Pat White Four year career Tebow Career
Completion % Completion %
2005 57% * 2006 66.7% *
2006 65.9% 2007 66.9%
2007 66.7% 2008 64.4%
2008 65.7% 2009 67.8%

* freshman years - Tebow only attempted 33 pass so the stat is misleading.

QB Ratings

QB Rating QB Rating
2005 132.41 * 2006 201.73 *
2006 159.73 2007 172.4
2007 151.39 2008 172.4
2008 142.41 2009 164

Close enough again, especial when you consider Tebow's team had major advantage on talent

Tebow has the advantage on passing TD, but White destroys Tebow on rushing yards. Remove their freshman years (Because Tebow didn't throw the ball that much) and INT are slightly in Tebow favor 15 to 18 over the 3 year.

Similar player from system stand point, but Tebow is slightly better because his UF teams get him an advantage because of better overall talent.

strafen
05-16-2010, 04:33 PM
2005 57% * 2006 66.7% *
2006 65.9% 2007 66.9%
2007 66.7% 2008 64.4%
2008 65.7% 2009 67.8%

QB Ratings

QB Rating QB Rating
2006 159.73 2007 172.4
2007 151.39 2008 172.4
2008 142.41 2009 164

Close enough again, especial when you consider Tebow's team had major advantage on talent

Tebow has the advantage on passing TD, but White destroys Tebow on rushing yards. Remove their freshman years (Because Tebow didn't throw the ball that much) and INT are slightly in Tebow favor 15 to 18 over the 3 year.

Similar player from system stand point, but Tebow is slightly better because his UF teams get him an advantage because of better overall talent.You need to factor in the teams Tebow faced every year. I mean, those are the creme of the creme in college football.
Yes, he played in a team surrounded by talent which was necessarry to compete against teams equally loaded in talent; Alabama, Tennessee, FSU, LSU, etc...
The competition was as good as you could ever find, he played against the toughest defenses known to college football, the best players, the best coaches...
You're comparing apples to oranges here. To put Tebow in the same sentnce with Pat White hurts your credibility.

elsid13
05-16-2010, 04:47 PM
You need to factor in the teams Tebow faced every year. I mean, those are the creme of the creme in college football.
Yes, he played in a team surrounded by talent which was necessarry to compete against teams equally loaded in talent; Alabama, Tennessee, FSU, LSU, etc...
The competition was as good as you could ever find, he played against the toughest defenses known to college football, the best players, the best coaches...
You're comparing apples to oranges here. To put Tebow in the same sentnce with Pat White hurts your credibility.

It not about credibility, it merely pointing out the fact, that Tebow is not that different then other QBs that have come before him (Which is what this thread is about). White is good example because has similar skills sets, played in same system and was drafted in same range as Tebow. Competition and talent is not that different between SEC and Big East (or any of the other major conferences) as some make it out to be.

Unlike some around and within the media that want to proclaim him as some revolutionary player. He not. He's young QB, that needs to work on his footwork, learn to understand defense and what means to play at NFL speed.

colonelbeef
05-16-2010, 04:53 PM

You can just tell that Claussen is going to fail in pro football, he has douchebag written all over his face.

montrose
05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
You can just tell that Claussen is going to fail in pro football, he has douchebag written all over his face.

This.

Tombstone RJ
05-16-2010, 10:19 PM
2005 57% * 2006 66.7% *
2006 65.9% 2007 66.9%
2007 66.7% 2008 64.4%
2008 65.7% 2009 67.8%

QB Ratings

QB Rating QB Rating
2006 159.73 2007 172.4
2007 151.39 2008 172.4
2008 142.41 2009 164

Similar player from system stand point, but Tebow is slightly better because his UF teams get him an advantage because of better overall talent.

You're cherry picking your stats a bit... If you look at the bigger picture you'll see that Pat White and Tim Tebow differ much too. For example, Tim is 6'3" and 245lbs where as Pat is 6'1" and 195lbs. As the 3 year starter for WV Pat threw for 5223 yards and 48 TDs while Tim threw for 8927 yards and 83 TDs.

That's like 3700 yards and a 35 TD difference.

strafen
05-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Unlike some around and within the media that want to proclaim him as some revolutionary player. He not. He's young QB, that needs to work on his footwork, learn to understand defense and what means to play at NFL speed.And don't all rookie QB's need some kind of work and development to make it in the NFL.

You just can't undermine the potential Tebow has.
The guy has worked on his mechanical flaws and will continue to work on them and be coached on them.
That's the easy part. That's all he has to do and I feel he's got the right personnel around to help him with that.

The hard part most QB's need, he already has it. Great intangibles and incredible athletic abilities.
Reading defenses will come with playing the game. Week in and week out he'll be studying oppssing team's defenses tendencies to derive a good game plan of attack.
Will he have some rough times n his first season?
You've got better believe it. But it will be worth the time and effort.
If he's to be our starter this year, he won't be the first rookie QB to do so.

Going back to your comparison with Pat White...
Pat White is 6-1 as aforementioned. What that means is that he didn't have the size to be a pocket QB. He couldn't. He's too short to look over the OL, whereas Tebow could very well do it with nough practice, reps, and coaching...

BroncoBuff
05-16-2010, 10:39 PM

Good grief that really IS Claussen ... I thought it was just a stock gay teens photo ROFL!

Archer81
05-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Good grief that really IS Claussen ... I thought it was just a stock gay teens photo ROFL!

Shocking.

He looks good in a speedo...but why is he in one?

Circle Orange
05-17-2010, 12:09 AM

He certainly has a terrible hairstyle. ;)

epicSocialism4tw
05-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Hard not to like Tebow, he is saying all the right things. I'd love to see him develop the way he sees it going (sitting on the bench learning this year) using him in Wild Horse stuff for now. I'd love for Orton to have a fantastic year. I'd love to see Orton, Quinn and Tebow all on the field at the same time (that's got all sorts of potential). I'd love to see Quinn, Moreno and Tebow all on the field together. This offense has so many mismatch possibilties it's going to be utterly wierd. Add in bigger, better olineman and yah, good stuff.

Tebow just doesnt say the right things, he says things that make people feel okay about believing in him as a player. To say that he wants to play to reward his coach for trusting and believing in him is to go beyond what most people are willing to expect. He's behaving in a way that surprises people in a good way. So despite all of the hype, he ends up exceeding expectations. That helps persuade people to give him a chance.