PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to be an American?

baja
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
In your own words tell us what it means to you to be an American.

RunSilentRunDeep
05-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Guns, fast cars and not taking any crap from anyone!! Yee-haw!!

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Well we know this is one question you can't answer baja!

Miss I.
05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
what does Tebow say? ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-13-2010, 11:47 AM
it's different for everyone.

Dagmar
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
No idea.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/f/f/get_a_brain_morans.jpg

http://brandonholmes.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sw-1413.jpg

SonOfLe-loLang
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Living here?

Dagmar
05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Accusing your president of not being American?

baja
05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Living here?

Like the 30 million illegals

baja
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Well we know this is one question you can't answer baja!

All I know is I'm getting SS in three more years and I have life time VA benefits.

RhymesayersDU
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
It means these colors don't run.

baja
05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Not one serious post yet. Guess none of you know what it means to be an American yet you wave the flag and thump your chest. Who said the dumbing down of America was a myth. Sad!

SonOfLe-loLang
Like the 30 million illegals

Some Americans have this strange desire to be exclusionary towards others, probably stemming from some asinine belief that we are actually "better" than other nations. Its so weird to be, like being American is some kind of privledge we all earned.

And we all started as immigrants.

ColoradoDarin
The right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

baja
05-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Some Americans have this strange desire to be exclusionary towards others, probably stemming from some asinine belief that we are actually "better" than other nations. Its so weird to be, like being American is some kind of privledge we all earned.

And we all started as immigrants.

Better.

atomicbloke
05-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Hold American citizenship.

baja
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
The right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Better.

Is that exclusively American?

PRBronco
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Access to awesome cereals that they don't sell in Canada like Cookie Crisp, Coco Pebbles, and Apple Jacks.

Oh, and Krispy Kremes. I love them so much.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Hold American citizenship.

What about Tim McVey or the NYC car bomber?

ColoradoDarin
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Better.

Is that exclusively American?

I don't know if it's codified in any other countries' founding documents, so yes, right now, it is exclusively American. That doesn't mean that it has to remain exclusively.

ghwk
05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I can't belive you started this thread.... :wiggle:

Killericon
05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I got $10 that says the term "hyphenated american" makes its way back into political discourse before the next Presidential election.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:06 PM
All I know is I'm getting SS in three more years and I have life time VA benefits.

Let me guess: For mental issues?

As for the thread itself:

Being American is being part of AND contributing to the most powerful and benevolent civilization the Earth has ever seen. It's opportunity and it's worth believing in and it's one of the few things left that's worth dying for.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:07 PM
I can't belive you started this thread.... :wiggle:

Why?

I can't believe there is not one serious post over 25 words stating what it means to be an American.

Archer81
05-13-2010, 12:08 PM
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they
should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.
We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

Pretty much covers it.

:Broncos:

baja
05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Let me guess: For mental issues?

As for the thread itself:

Being American is being part of AND contributing to the most powerful and benevolent civilization the Earth has ever seen. It's opportunity and it's worth believing in and it's one of the few things left that's worth dying for.

No for service to my country.

what are some of the other things you deem worth dying for?

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm going to choose not to say based on not casting my "pearls before swine."

Miss I.
05-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Not one serious post yet. Guess none of you know what it means to be an American yet you wave the flag and thump your chest. Who said the dumbing down of America was a myth. Sad!

Really? This is your response? Are YOU serious?

Being American, and by American, a citizen of the United States (since America actually refers to both South and North America if you want to get technical). Being American means different things to different people and is represented by all sorts of symbols, the flag being one. And I don't thump my chest, but I do occasionally wave a flag or hold my hand over my heart during the pledge of allegiance or the National Anthem. Yet, none of those things makes me American, just someone who knows my traditions and enjoys celebrating being from the United States by recognizing them.

I live in United Kingdom for the time being and it has given me an appreciation for both my country and our place in the world. We like to talk about how we are hated by everyone else. That is not entirely true. The English and most European nations like us pretty well (except the French maybe, but they don't like themselves...kidding...kidding). But frankly like we are, they are more concerned about their own lives in their countries, their personal struggles. Like most of us are really. As different as we all are, the human struggle, experience is the same in many respects.

To be an American to me, is to be generous, and kind, but pragmatic and independent, but that is who I am and not necessarily the experience of all. We are partly made by genetics and partly by our surroundings, so the American experience is different for everyone and maybe that's what it is to be American, to be united in our differences even if we do think the other person is an asshat. However to be a really cool American you have to like the Broncos and dislike the Raiders. I think there's an amendment in the works.

mkporter
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Being an American means you are privileged. Privileged to live in the most prosperous and free country in the world. Being an American alone doesn't make you a better person then anyone else, but it means you have the opportunity.

Also, being an American means that your version of football is far and away the best in the world. :lombardi:

What's your answer Baja?

baja
05-13-2010, 12:13 PM
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they
should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.
We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

Pretty much covers it.

The OP states "In your own words" doesn't say anything about cut & paste.

We have become a cut & paste society.

Course with all the misspellings this may be your own words if so I'm sorry.

Killericon
Why?

I can't believe there is not one serious post over 25 words stating what it means to be an American.

For me, the best way to determine if someone is an American(or any nationality, really), is to ask them. If they identify themselves as an American, who are you to argue? If you say you're an American, then isn't that enough? I mean sure, you should probably live there, and so forth, but if you're an (to avoid arguments, let's say legal) immigrant who has lived in the US for 5 years, but hasn't gotten citizenship yet, and they identify themselves as being a proud American, what's incorrect about that?

Anyways, the way I look at it is you have two nationalities: Where you were born(or if you moved right after, where you grew up), and where you identify yourself as being from.

TheReverend
No for service to my country.

Be more specific about "VA benefits" then. Are you talking disability compensation?

what are some of the other things you deem worth dying for?

Family (not excluding powerful relationships with people) and protecting the weak. Nothing else.

Archer81
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM

You miss the point, baja. These are my own words...as they should be the words of every single person who calls themselves American.

So...yeah.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Being an American means you are privileged. Privileged to live in the most prosperous and free country in the world. Being an American alone doesn't make you a better person then anyone else, but it means you have the opportunity.

Also, being an American means that your version of football is far and away the best in the world. :lombardi:

What's your answer Baja?

It used to mean a lot more.

But it still does mean <b> awesome opportunity.</b>

Miss I.
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
hey Baja, where's your 25 word essay on the essence of being American? seems only fair.

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Baja is the post police! Being American to Baja means telling people how to tell other people what being an American is and if you don't do it how he wants then he berates you. :~ohyah!:

mkporter
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
It used to mean a lot more.

Really? What did it used to mean? And when?

Archer81
05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
How about this one?

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

A. Lincoln

cmhargrove

Ok, now I will comment.

Being an American gives you the free right to cut and paste, the right to pursue your economic dreams in a capitalistic society, and the right to have a reasonable chance of being treated fairly by your government.

Being a good American might be another discussion altogether.

Los Broncos
Freedom baby.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Really? This is your response? Are YOU serious?

Being American, and by American, a citizen of the United States (since America actually refers to both South and North America if you want to get technical). Being American means different things to different people and is represented by all sorts of symbols, the flag being one. And I don't thump my chest, but I do occasionally wave a flag or hold my hand over my heart during the pledge of allegiance or the National Anthem. Yet, none of those things makes me American, just someone who knows my traditions and enjoys celebrating being from the United States by recognizing them.

I live in United Kingdom for the time being and it has given me an appreciation for both my country and our place in the world. We like to talk about how we are hated by everyone else. That is not entirely true. The English and most European nations like us pretty well (except the French maybe, but they don't like themselves...kidding...kidding). But frankly like we are, they are more concerned about their own lives in their countries, their personal struggles. Like most of us are really. As different as we all are, the human struggle, experience is the same in many respects.

To be an American to me, is to be generous, and kind, but pragmatic and independent, but that is who I am and not necessarily the experience of all. We are partly made by genetics and partly by our surroundings, so the American experience is different for everyone and maybe that's what it is to be American, to be united in our differences even if we do think the other person is an asshat. However to be a really cool American you have to like the Broncos and dislike the Raiders. I think there's an amendment in the works.

You're not an American any more, you live in England. At least that is what I am told here over and over because I chose to spend time in another country which by the way is one of the precious freedoms we have as citizens the freedom to travel and live anywhere we choose without penalty.

atomicbloke
05-13-2010, 12:23 PM
What about Tim McVey or the NYC car bomber?

Yes, according to American laws, they are Americans too.

So is Aldrich Ames. And Robert Hansen. And Earl Pits.

They may be bad Americans, but still Americans.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:24 PM
hey Baja, where's your 25 word essay on the essence of being American? seems only fair.

Didn't you get the memo it has been decided here that I am no longer an American because I live in Mexico part of the time.

Play2win
To hold these things on high (as a Flag held on high):

Self, Family, Community, and Nation.

ghwk
Why?

Because there will be no consensus on an answer and it will break down into the typical mane no one left standing unscathed b**** fest.

But you know, all that post here obvioulsy have nothing better to do anyway so what the heck.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Be more specific about "VA benefits" then. Are you talking disability compensation?

Family (not excluding powerful relationships with people) and protecting the weak. Nothing else.

You will give you life protecting the weak. Is that all the weak people or a select few? Some old people are weak will you give your life to protect me?

Miss I.
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
You're not an American any more, you live in England. At least that is what I am told here over and over because I chose to spend time in another country which by the way is one of the precious freedoms we have as citizens the freedom to travel and live anywhere we choose without penalty.

I am on a VISA (not the credit card in case there's confusion) for 5 years. After that it's back to the USofA, actually next week I head to Denver...and I do miss home, but I love it here too (even if the sun is a little scarce). Where your body is physically is not how citizenship is defined. It's not even entirely about where you are born. Maybe an analogy will help. Being American is like becoming an adult. For instance, as a person there is a genetic component I can't control, that my parents gave me, but who I become is even more largely determined by my environment. Being an American is partly determined by citizenship (whether by birth or naturalization), but is largely attitude and how we interact in the world. Americans are by and large pretty generous, gregarious people who value their independence and freedoms (of speech, religion, etc).

Your turn Baja.:peace:

baja
05-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Because there will be no consensus on an answer and it will break down into the typical mane no one left standing unscathed b**** fest.

But you know, all that post here obvioulsy have nothing better to do anyway so what the heck.

Actually I started this thread with good intentions.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
I am on a VISA (not the credit card in case there's confusion) for 5 years. After that it's back to the USofA, actually next week I head to Denver...and I do miss home, but I love it here too (even if the sun is a little scarce). Where your body is physically is not how citizenship is defined. It's not even entirely about where you are born. Maybe an analogy will help. Being American is like becoming an adult. For instance, as a person there is a genetic component I can't control, that my parents gave me, but who I become is even more largely determined by my environment. Being an American is partly determined by citizenship (whether by birth or naturalization), but is largely attitude and how we interact in the world. Americans are by and large pretty generous, gregarious people who value their independence and freedoms (of speech, religion, etc).

<b>Your turn Baja.:peace:

I love ya Miss I but I have a girl friend.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I consider myself a Being having a human experience.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
You will give you life protecting the weak. Is that all the weak people or a select few? Some old people are weak will you give your life to protect me?

I said the weak. Not cowards.

Miss I.
05-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Didn't you get the memo it has been decided here that I am no longer an American because I live in Mexico part of the time.

Is this why you started this thread? Because you are upset a bunch of posters on the bulletin board said stupid stuff? Granted I've been peeved a few times at some stuff (some yahoo for instance posted a negative rep using the c word which pretty much made me want to leave...obviously I stayed), but what does it matter. If you know who you are, believe that. Screw the rest of them (not literally of course). :peace:

baja
05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I said the weak. Not cowards.

You should ask my Army buddies about that.

ghwk
05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Actually I started this thread with good intentions.

You have been here too long to be that Naive. All topics on the mane degenerate into a cesspool sooner or later.

What is the phrase? "Never has more dmage been done than by those with good intentions?"

See I'm killing the thread already and I had no intention of doing so! :rofl:

Archer81
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
As an American...

I want justice for myself and others. I want the ability to achieve economically and socially. I want to be free of government intrusion in my life if I have done nothing to warrant it. I want to be self sufficient. I want my elected leaders to show wisdom and character. I want my country to be a force for peace, but be pitiless if war comes.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Is this why you started this thread? Because you are upset a bunch of posters on the bulletin board said stupid stuff? Granted I've been peeved a few times at some stuff (some yahoo for instance posted a negative rep using the c word which pretty much made me want to leave...obviously I stayed), but what does it matter. If you know who you are, believe that. Screw the rest of them (not literally of course). :peace:

No it is not why I started the thread. I thought it might be an interesting off season topic. Now I'm just going with the flow of the thread. There have been some good posts here and there though.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:37 PM
As an American...

I want justice for myself and others. I want the ability to achieve economically and socially. I want to be free of government intrusion in my life if I have done nothing to warrant it. I want to be self sufficient. I want my elected leaders to show wisdom and character. I want my country to be a force for peace, but be pitiless if war comes.

Are you currently getting that?

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:37 PM
You should ask my Army buddies about that.

I didn't claim it was an inherited life-long trait... but it's certainly one that fits you now.

You are a broken record of wrong captain Fail.

I am in the San Diego airport as I type and have been in MY wonderful but at risk country for 3 weeks.

Many will survive and it will not be where you are but your ability to accept the quickening of vibration that ushers in the quantum leap known as the 5th Dimension .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13070896/

You won't make it Meck is my bet. Can I have your bus?

If you really believe America is wonderful and at risk and weren't a coward, then you'd be here trying to do something about it instead of running off to Mexico.

So... are you coward or a liar?

baja
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
You have been here too long to be that Naive. All topics on the mane degenerate into a cesspool sooner or later.

What is the phrase? "Never has more dmage been done than by those with good intentions?"

See I'm killing the thread already and I had no intention of doing so! :rofl:

The Yo Yo champion video reminds me of this board.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I didn't claim it was an inherited life-long trait... but it's certainly one that fits you now.

If you really believe America is wonderful and at risk and weren't a coward, then you'd be here trying to do something about it instead of running off to Mexico.

So... are you coward or a liar?

What are you doing to save the Father land?

Looks to me like we are both wasting hours posting on a football message board only difference is we have different IP address'.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
What are you doing to save the Father land?

I don't think it's at risk.

When I did think it was at risk, I left my life behind and joined the Marines.

Sup now?

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 12:42 PM

Well done, M'Lady. This thread's only purpose is to give Baja a platform to browbeat people.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Sup now?

Did the same (Army) should we get a medal?

broncocalijohn
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Being in American is sticking in your country and not running down south to hide out in Baja California. :strong:

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Did the same (Army) should we get a medal?

Your clearly not capable of interpreting what I said, so I'll repeat it, only this time simpler:

You feel the country is at risk NOW. Why aren't you trying to help?

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Being in American is sticking in your country and not running down south to hide out in Baja California. :strong:

rep

baja
05-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Sup now?

You really don't think the country and the way of life it represents is at risk now? I doubt it has ever been at greater risk. From an insidious enemy called greed.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Your clearly not capable of interpreting what I said, so I'll repeat it, only this time simpler:

I'm teaching people how to prepare for a time of anarchy in order to survive and rebuild a more humane world.

What are you doing to fix the mess?

baja
05-13-2010, 12:51 PM

The Rev.- Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend

Sup now?

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm teaching people how to prepare for a time of anarchy in order to survive and rebuild a more humane world in Mexico.

Fixed, coward.

What are you doing to fix the mess?

You really don't think the country and the way of life it represents is at risk now? I doubt it has ever been at greater risk. From an insidious enemy called greed.

I don't think there is an issue, sorry. As for the economy, I pay taxes to support the unemployed, and when the market crashed to 7k I rolled money out of savings accounts and CDs and bonds and into blue chip stocks. So I helped there too. Outside of that... nope, no issues with the US.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
3 consecutive posts in reply to my statements...

U mad, coward?

baja
05-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Your friend Mike Shanahan is my neighbor in Cabo is he a coward too?

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Your friend Mike Shanahan is my neighbor in Cabo is he a coward too?

You should never compare yourself to greatness again.

He faces his problems head on. He doesn't run away.

baja
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
You should never compare yourself to greatness again.

He faces his problems head on. He doesn't run away.

Would you please share what problems I am running away from?

baja
05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow 77 posts and almost none with any heart felt takes on what it means to be an American.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Would you please share what problems I am running away from?

In your words:

You are a broken record of wrong captain Fail.

I am in the San Diego airport as I type and have been in MY wonderful but at risk country for 3 weeks.

Many will survive and it will not be where you are but your ability to accept the quickening of vibration that ushers in the quantum leap known as the 5th Dimension .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13070896/

You won't make it Meck is my bet. Can I have your bus?

Why you runnin, girl scout?

bronco militia
05-13-2010, 01:04 PM
wait for it........

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZP4Ugev82I&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZP4Ugev82I&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

baja
05-13-2010, 01:05 PM
In your words:

Why you runnin, girl scout?

We are the human race living on one planet there is no running away from what ails us.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow 77 posts and almost none with any heart felt takes on what it means to be an American.

It'll mean different things to different people. The way we each conceptualize and view ourselves, especially our "national" identity has to do with how we grew up. It's an evolving thing. My identity doesn't stop at just "American." I think it is simplistic, naive and short-sighted to align oneself with such a myopic standard of identity.

I am a lot of things. American is one of them, and there is a whole barrel of fish that could go into that statement. Thankful to have the privileges I do in life based on that virtue, but also not over-zealous about it. That's the cool thing about it. It is a dynamic term, not static. It is whatever you want it to be.

There's an "American Dream" we all have or visualize. Nobody has the same experience.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
We are the human race living on one planet there is no running away from what ails us.

Sidestepping the question. Awesome.

I repeat: Liar or coward?

baja
05-13-2010, 01:10 PM
It'll mean different things to different people. The way we each conceptualize and view ourselves, especially our "national" identity has to do with how we grew up. It's an evolving thing. My identity doesn't stop at just "American." I think it is simplistic, naive and short-sighted to align oneself with such a myopic standard of identity.

I am a lot of things. American is one of them, and there is a whole barrel of fish that could go into that statement. Thankful to have the privileges I do in life based on that virtue, but also not over-zealous about it. That's the cool thing about it. It is a dynamic term, not static. It is whatever you want it to be.

There's an "American Dream" we all have or visualize. Nobody has the same experience.

Best post so far

baja
05-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Sidestepping the question. Awesome.

I repeat: Liar or coward?

It is the answer you are just to myopic to realize it.

Oh and some times I tella lie and sometimes I am fearful so I would say both.

Pseudofool
05-13-2010, 01:12 PM
The privilege of being American is being able to define your identity and having your own values.

mkporter
05-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think there is an issue, sorry. As for the economy, I pay taxes to support the unemployed, and when the market crashed to 7k I rolled money out of savings accounts and CDs and bonds and into blue chip stocks. So I helped there too. Outside of that... nope, no issues with the US.

Lucky for you that your altruism is being generously rewarded now. :~ohyah!:

C130Herkload
05-13-2010, 01:13 PM

And the opportunity to do this...

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
The privilege of being American is being able to define your identity and having your own values.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. -- Joseph Campbell

baja
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM

That's a beautiful thing but there many places in the world where you can do the same.

jhns
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
That is simple. It means you are better than everyone else.

I also like how we took the name Americans. Everyone on this side of the Earth lives on the Americas. We are the Americans though. We win.

baja
05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Euphoria

Monday was the day the world’s capital markets turned into a giant fiat money casino. Consider yourself warned. You can trade your way to profits this in this market on the tide of easy money being printed now by the Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank. But the financial markets are now setting up for the mother of all collapses.

Up until Monday, we’ve seen the end of the super cycle in fiat money as a process that could take years to unfold. The piecemeal nationalisation of certain industries...the assumption of private sector liabilities on the public sector balance sheet...the abrogation of contract in the form of defaulted mortgages that are not foreclosed on...and higher-and-higher public debt-to-GDP ratios were all signs that the government everywhere was sucking the life out of the economy to preserve the status quo, and turning dozens of firms and institutions into zombies with no real productive economic future.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
It is the answer you are just to myopic to realize it.

Oh and some times I tella lie and sometimes I am fearful so I would say both.

If something I felt was wonderful and I loved it, but I also thought it was facing it's greatest risk in it's history... well if I left it under those circumstances, I'd admit my cowardice.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Jesus was a coward.

Tombstone RJ
05-13-2010, 01:26 PM

complete fluff

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Jesus was a coward.

Unnecessary trolling, imo.

bronco militia
05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Jesus was a coward.

evil bait

baja
05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
If something I felt was wonderful and I loved it, but I also thought it was facing it's greatest risk in it's history... well if I left it under those circumstances, I'd admit my cowardice.

OK I'll come back and fight corporate greed and justice for sale just tell me where to start.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:33 PM
complete fluff

Maybe for your ovaries, but I think most people here would state that what it means to be American to them would be different in comparison to others.

Some here posted pictures of their time in the service and dedicating their life to their country. I have never served, can't serve, so that'll never be part of my conceptualization of America. And, no, I don't think identity is a static process. It is very dynamic, much like culture. (Identity, as a part of culture, of course.)

Ice blaze like lip gloss, suck on my dick boss.

Rohirrim
05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
OK I'll come back and fight corporate greed and justice for sale just tell me where to start.

http://www.nybookdistributors.com/wall_street/images/stock_exchange.gif

Tombstone RJ
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Maybe for your ovaries, but I think most people here would state that what it means to be American to them would be different in comparison to others.

Some here posted pictures of their time in the service and dedicating their life to their country. I have never served, can't serve, so that'll never be part of my conceptualization of America. And, no, I don't think identity is a static process. It is very dynamic, much like culture. (Identity, as a part of culture, of course.)

Thanks for more of nothing. LOL

baja
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.nybookdistributors.com/wall_street/images/stock_exchange.gif

Should I bring paint?

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Unnecessary trolling, imo.

Do you like syllogisms?

Major Premise: Cowards cry.
Minor Premise: Jesus cried on the cross.

Thus: Jesus was a coward.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Do you like syllogisms?

Major Premise flaw.

Rohirrim
05-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Should I bring paint?

You'll need a roto-rooter and a massive enema bag.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for more of nothing. LOL

I can't help that you are an inbred **** that is too stupid to understand what I stated:

What it means to be American is highly dependent on our individual realities and how we were raised. Not one person is going to have the same exact conceptualization of what that term means and how it relates to their identity.

If you disagree with that, well. . . you're a phuckstain.

baja
Do you like syllogisms?

If Jesus was the human embodiment of God he could have saved himself so was his dying on the cross a suicide and therefore as was established on yesterdays thread a cowardly act?

Tombstone RJ
Requiem and what it means to be an American:

"Hi, I'm Requiem and this is what it means to be an American: it means a lot of things to a lot of different people. You see, there's a lot of people out there and all of them have different opinions so what it means to be an American is different for everyone. So, that means that being an American can have many different meanings, see? Is that clear now? Am I making sense? Ok, so what does that mean? It means being an American is really like all different and stuff!"

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Major Premise flaw.

http://www.caica.org/jesus%20camp%20girl%20crying2.bmp

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Requiem and what it means to be an American:

"Hi, I'm Requiem and this is what it means to be an American: it means a lot of things to a lot of different people. You see, there's a lot of people out there and all of them have different opinions so what it means to be an American is different for everyone. So, that means that being an American can have many different meanings, see? Is that clear now? Am I making sense? Ok, so what does that mean? It means being an American is really like all different and stuff!"

I know you would have a hard time accounting for difference. You're a Bible ****er. You love incest and the account being the same. It turns you on. You into some of your family members?

Tombstone RJ
05-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I can't help that you are an inbred **** that is too stupid to understand what I stated:

What it means to be American is highly dependent on our individual realities and how we were raised. Not one person is going to have the same exact conceptualization of what that term means and how it relates to their identity.

If you disagree with that, well. . . you're a pink puppy bellistain.

:spit:

Tombstone RJ
05-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I know you would have a hard time accounting for difference. You're a Bible ****er. You love incest and the account being the same. It turns you on. You into some of your family members?

When you have no argument, attack the poster! :thumbsup:

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
When you have no argument, attack the poster! :thumbsup:

Isn't that exactly what you did to me? Called what I said was fluff, without any statement or a counter argument? I already posted my argument. Do you understand it? Care to refute it? You can't. I wouldn't expect a guy who flips burgers for a living to be able to. You are forgiven.

Dagmar
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Being an American means posting two or three wind up threads a day for your own amusement.

Tombstone RJ
05-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Isn't that exactly what you did to me? Called what I said was fluff, without any statement or a counter argument? I already posted my argument. Do you understand it? Care to refute it? You can't. I wouldn't expect a guy who flips burgers for a living to be able to. You are forgiven.

Yep, I called your opinion fluff, not you. You do understand the difference, right?

eh, maybe not.

As for my opinion, do you really care? Obviously from your personal attacks, my opinion garners little weight.

sutoazul
05-13-2010, 01:52 PM
For me, the best way to determine if someone is an American(or any nationality, really), is to ask them. If they identify themselves as an American, who are you to argue? If you say you're an American, then isn't that enough? I mean sure, you should probably live there, and so forth, but if you're an (to avoid arguments, let's say legal) immigrant who has lived in the US for 5 years, but hasn't gotten citizenship yet, and they identify themselves as being a proud American, what's incorrect about that?

Anyways, the way I look at it is you have two nationalities: Where you were born(or if you moved right after, where you grew up), and where you identify yourself as being from.

this is a great point and it's exactly how I feel. I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic ('till age 14) & came (legally) to the USA. (imagine that from Santo Domingo to Denver).
I always say I'm Dominican-American, because the USA is my country of residence, citizenship and I love the USA. But I'm also Dominican because I love the people, the food and I still have lots of family there and go visit from time to time. However, my kids for sure will be American (with dominican descent). I don't understand these people that were born here, raised here and sometimes not even been anywhere else, called themselves "anywhere-Americans", i.e.: italian-americans, german-americans, chinese-american and the worst AFRICAN-AMERICAN. Dude if you are born here, you are AMERICAN with an african descent. If you want to describe your ethnicity then is black, or brown, or yellow, red, white whatever.

Anyways... again I'm a proud American.

Answering Baja's question: I think being an American is understanding or knowing that you are free. Most of us take that for granted, but we know we need to be free (again most don't know how to get freedom what it takes to be free) but understand the priviledges of freedom and the opportunities that are available to the people of this great country.
Think about it: when a kid is born there are a set of opportunities available for that kid to become whatever he/she desires. The problem is that some are ill-directed or too young to see and understand this, but american still have this great priviledge that most other countries don't have.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I already know that I operate at a higher intellectual capacity than Tombstone, so his Terry Schaivo like response to my sentiments aren't surprising. I'm sure he is a big enough boy to take the insults. Remember, he read Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. He'll be fine.

baja
05-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Being an American means posting two or three wind up threads a day for your own amusement.

what does a wind up thread mean? I am not familiar with the term as used in this context

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Okay...

Requiem
05-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Yep, I called your opinion fluff, not you. You do understand the difference, right?

Doesn't matter. You called it fluff without substantiating why or offering an alternative. If you can't come up with an argument against it, it would probable just be smart to shut the **** up and go about your day.

As for my opinion, do you really care? Obviously from your personal attacks, my opinion garners little weight.

I asked you, but your balls got swallowed in your ass sometime in the past ten minutes and you haven't answered. I've already stated how I felt. And in reality, no, how you feel doesn't really matter to me, but I'd love to hear your response against conceptualization of identity (in this case American) not being based on our individual experiences.

(Notice how almost everyone here had a different way of putting it, for those who were serious.)

You have 8 minutes.

baja
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
this is a great point and it's exactly how I feel. I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic ('till age 14) & came (legally) to the USA. (imagine that from Santo Domingo to Denver).
I always say I'm Dominican-American, because the USA is my country of residence, citizenship and I love the USA. But I'm also Dominican because I love the people, the food and I still have lots of family there and go visit from time to time. However, my kids for sure will be American (with dominican descent). I don't understand these people that were born here, raised here and sometimes not even been anywhere else, called themselves "anywhere-Americans", i.e.: italian-americans, german-americans, chinese-american and the worst AFRICAN-AMERICAN. Dude if you are born here, you are AMERICAN with an african descent. If you want to describe your ethnicity then is black, or brown, or yellow, red, white whatever.

Answering Baja's question: I think being an American is understanding or knowing that you are free. Most of us take that for granted, but we know we need to be free (again most don't know how to get freedom what it takes to be free) but understand the priviledges of freedom and the opportunities that are available to the people of this great country.
Think about it: when a kid is born there are a set of opportunities available for that kid to become whatever he/she desires. The problem is that some are ill-directed or too young to see and understand this, but american still have this great priviledge that most other countries don't have.

Really good post

Thank you it was a joy to read especially the last paragraph.

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
When did Req become a complete asshole?

baja
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
When did Req become a complete a-hole?

He is reacting to a rude dismissal of a good post.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks for sharing your story!

Sounds very similar to my friend who was born in the Sudan, but after the genocide and wars there, came to seek a better opportunity in America. He is graduating along side me on Saturday.

Cheers.

baja
05-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Believe it or not this was meant to be a thought provoking thread.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
When did Req become a complete a-hole?

Mood swings are undoubtedly a side effect of my medications, but I've always been a dick when it comes to people being retarded. The citizenship thread and this one (Tombstone's response) kinda sent me off the edge today. That, and I've slept maybe 10-15 hours in two weeks. I'm also on my period. I bled out my penis and ass today.

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
He is reacting to a rude dismissal of a good post.

Thanks for not answering the question. He also lashed out against someone's family which should result in a ban, or at least it used to. I don't remember Req being this hostile and certainly not this pompous.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for not answering the question. He also lashed out against someone's family which should result in a ban, or at least it used to. I don't remember Req being this hostile and certainly not this pompous.

Actually, it wasn't a lash out at his family. I asked Tombstone if being a proponent of the Bible, led to him to be okay with incest or an attraction towards a family member. You know, we're all one big incestuous family!

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Mood swings are undoubtedly a side effect of my medications, but I've always been a dick when it comes to people being retarded. The citizenship thread and this one (Tombstone's response) kinda sent me off the edge today. That, and I've slept maybe 10-15 hours in two weeks. I'm also on my period. I bled out my penis and ass today.

Seewutididthere?

baja
05-13-2010, 02:08 PM

I thought you were talking about his and Tombstone's spat.

and please don't shout the messenger just because you don't like the message

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Seewutididthere?

You made me LOL. I love that picture. It's a girl at Jesus camp crying, giving the Hitler salute. (From my perspective.)

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I thought you were talking about his and Tombstone's spat.

and please don't shout the messenger just because you don't like the message

Kaylore's pampers are just a little wet right now. He recently told me BYU stopped sending him their school newspaper because he wouldn't donate to the alumni foundation. He is struggling to find alternative news resources.

baja
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
You made me LOL. I love that picture. It's a girl at Jesus camp crying, giving the Hitler salute. (From my perspective.)

That is funny when you see it that

Thanks for the different prospective

Different prospective is what I was going for with this thread. ;D

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:12 PM
http://z.about.com/d/atheism/1/0/v/-/3/God-Bless-America-e.jpg

TheReverend
Kaylore's pampers are just a little wet right now. He recently told me BYU stopped sending him their school newspaper because he wouldn't donate to the alumni foundation. He is struggling to find alternative news resources.

Really, dude? Why don't you have the Sun Yogi cure you?

Dagmar

Seewutididthere?

http://i41.tinypic.com/16bzhub.gif

OABB
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
being American means never having to say you're sorry.

OABB
05-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Be careful Rev....you are messing with the primal forces of nature. Sun Yogi does not like to be insulted. Sun yogi will punish fools who foresake him.

that, or he might get really really pissed off and write it in his Sun Yogi journal.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Because I ride with Satan and sell a lot of fireworks to adolescents.

PRBronco
05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm still thinking about krispy kremes tbqh.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm still thinking about krispy kremes tbqh.

Our Krispy Kremes establishment closed.

R.I.P.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Because I ride with Satan and sell a lot of fireworks to adolescents.

Just take your meds and go back to watching Twilight on loop. You'll be fine in a couple months.

Requiem
05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Just take your meds and go back to watching Twilight on loop. You'll be fine in a couple months.

Never watched Twilight, but yep. Hopefully my kidney disease is away in a few months. Time to nap before my final undergraduate test. It is on Roman History. Ghengis Khan was leader of the Romans.

Dagmar
05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Why are there no Dunkin Donuts in COlorado. It's just unAmerican.

baja
05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
being American means never having to say you're sorry.

That is very very funny

OABB
05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
That is very very funny

duh... I'm ****ing funny. (not Jhins funny of course)

thank you, though.

TheReverend
05-13-2010, 02:25 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGLL_enUS369US369&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=dunkin+donuts+in+colorado&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dunkin+donuts&hnear=colorado&ei=B2DsS_e0GMWblger-IW3CA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQtgMwAA

baja
05-13-2010, 02:27 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=dunkin+donuts+in+colorado&fb=1&hq=dunkin+donuts&hnear=colorado&view=text&ei=zV_sS-m3BJSuswPGyoTGDw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CB4QtQMwAA

Dagmar
05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGLL_enUS369US369&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=dunkin+donuts+in+colorado&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dunkin+donuts&hnear=colorado&ei=B2DsS_e0GMWblger-IW3CA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQtgMwAA

I don't like it enough to set foot in CO Springs!!

The DD and Baskin Robbins in Denver closed too. :(

Rohirrim
05-13-2010, 02:33 PM

And yet, there are Dunkin Donuts commercials on TV here all the time. One of the mysteries of life.

That's very American - to wonder about donuts.

bronco militia
05-13-2010, 02:37 PM

racist

mkporter
05-13-2010, 02:38 PM

If CS isn't your style, there's one in Boulder.

baja
05-13-2010, 02:46 PM
What it means to be an American? To have a Dunkin Donuts nearby.

Rohirrim
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
What it means to be an American? To have a Dunkin Donuts nearby.

I'll tell you one thing Americans won't do without - libraries.

Even the smallest, dingiest little town will have some kind of library. We have more libraries than any place else on Earth.

If there wasn't one, the nearest American would go, "WTF!? Where's the library?"

We love free books. ;D

Dagmar
05-13-2010, 02:53 PM
If CS isn't your style, there's one in Boulder.

No there is not.

cmhargrove
05-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Did I mention that there were OTA's at Dove Valley next week?

I like talking football with you guys, but otherwise, there are some serious issues here. We need the Mane to hire a professional counselor for the offseason. Hopefully, one that is also a true American.

baja
05-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Even the smallest, dingiest little town will have some kind of library. We have more libraries than any place else on Earth.

If there wasn't one, the nearest American would go, "WTF!? Where's the library?"

We love free books. ;D

Great observation.

I really miss libraries when I am in Baja. Thank God for the Internet.

I was just in a really small town in So Cal. and they had a nice little library.

mkporter
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
No there is not.

Crap. You are right. I glanced at the map and assumed the one by the Video station on 28th was still there. You are screwed. My condolences.

Raidersbane
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
It means I live here and I get to be as big an azzhole as the money I'm paying my lawyers allows me to be......

baja
05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
It means I live here and I get to be as big an azzhole as the money I'm paying my lawyers allows me to be......

There are some real gems dispersed throughout these seven pages of mostly malarky.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM

We love free books. ;D

Books and knowledge for everyone? ****ing socialists.

chadta
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Access to awesome cereals that they don't sell in Canada like Cookie Crisp, Coco Pebbles, and Apple Jacks.

Oh, and Krispy Kremes. I love them so much.

actually i can get all those things here, PLUS i get smarties, coffee crisps, ketchup chips, maple syrup, poutine, and buckleys mixture, it tastes aweful but it works.

NOW back to the original question, while not an american ill tell you what i like about you guys, first you seem to understand Keep right to pass better then canadians do, second, when other nations need help your the first ones to go, and you usually give the canadian troops a lift with ya since our government has raped our national defense budget, third as long as you guys are southern neighbours i know that i am safe at home, once again no thanks to years of liberal governements raping the canadian military. and last but not least yer a louder more obnoxious version of canada whats not to like :thumbsup:

the one thing i dont like about you, is your arrogance, from the power failure in august of 2004 that took out the whole east coast, where the new york mayor got on tv and blamed things on somebody in canada, cuz an american could never screw something up like that, meanwhile we all know now that it was a station just outside of cleveland that messed things up, up to 9/11 where you immediately started blaming canada for letting everybody into your country, now im no expert, but if i wanna sneak into the USA i go threw mexico where everybody else is getting in.

I think if you would just ask for help on things that you need help with youd get a better response then when you immediately try to blame other nations. There is nothing wrong with asking for a hand, it dosent show weakness it shows intelligence.

thanks for being good neighbours

Dagmar
05-13-2010, 04:12 PM
There are some real gems dispersed throughout these seven pages of mostly malarky.

Malarky? A true American would say shenanigans!

Archer81
05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Books and knowledge for everyone? ****ing socialists.

Our dear leader recently said the amount of information we are getting is a bad thing.

Archer81
05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
actually i can get all those things here, PLUS i get smarties, coffee crisps, ketchup chips, maple syrup, poutine, and buckleys mixture, it tastes aweful but it works.

NOW back to the original question, while not an american ill tell you what i like about you guys, first you seem to understand Keep right to pass better then canadians do, second, when other nations need help your the first ones to go, and you usually give the canadian troops a lift with ya since our government has raped our national defense budget, third as long as you guys are southern neighbours i know that i am safe at home, once again no thanks to years of liberal governements raping the canadian military. and last but not least yer a louder more obnoxious version of canada whats not to like :thumbsup:

the one thing i dont like about you, is your arrogance, from the power failure in august of 2004 that took out the whole east coast, where the new york mayor got on tv and blamed things on somebody in canada, cuz an american could never screw something up like that, meanwhile we all know now that it was a station just outside of cleveland that messed things up, up to 9/11 where you immediately started blaming canada for letting everybody into your country, now im no expert, but if i wanna sneak into the USA i go threw mexico where everybody else is getting in.

I think if you would just ask for help on things that you need help with youd get a better response then when you immediately try to blame other nations. There is nothing wrong with asking for a hand, it dosent show weakness it shows intelligence.

thanks for being good neighbours

What do I like about Canadians...hmm...uhh. Nice use of Zed...I guess...wierdos.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-13-2010, 05:50 PM
I'll tell you what it doesn't mean:

I doesn't mean flying a Mexican (or any other country of origin) flag above the stars and stripes (and everything that sort of gesture symbolizes.)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-13-2010, 05:52 PM

We love free books. ;D

Add those to the list of things the Teabaggers need to renounce if they're consistent. Ha!

strafen
05-13-2010, 10:28 PM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 716.25pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=955><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width="100%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 99%; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width="99%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; WIDTH: 99%; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width="99%">How ALL phones SHOULD be answered!
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.3&disp=emb&zw

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , a Christian nation of the free and the home of the brave. How may I help you?
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.4&disp=emb&zw

Press
'1' for English.

Press
'2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.5&disp=emb&zw

And remember only two defining forces have ever Offered to die for you,

Jesus Christ
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.6&disp=emb&zw

And the American Soldier.
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.7&disp=emb&zw

One died for your soul,
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.8&disp=emb&zw

The other for your freedom.
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.9&disp=emb&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2b5ecb41df&view=att&th=128925ad460c91be&attid=0.10&disp=emb&zw

ENJOY LIFE NOW - IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

gunns
05-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I'm thankful for the right to worship or not worship as I believe, I'm thankful for the right to pursue life, liberty and happiness and being able to make myself a better person in that pursuit and in the pursuit make life better for others. Being an American means I can voice my beliefs and have laws to back up that right and the right to disagree. Being an American means I can study other cultures, experience the benefits of multiple cultures that have made America. For me being an American gives me the opportunity to work at being the person I want to be, but it also means I have the responsibility to give back for that opportunity to be a part of what I deem a team which is America and continue to help make this country better for everyone on my team. That there is not one religious tenent I have to follow but a multitude I can pick from to make myself a better person and choose to believe in. That I have the right to these things but am not entitled to sit and expect them to be handed to me. Makes me a better person and, in that pursuit, hopefully someone else.

baja
05-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I'm thankful for the right to worship or not worship as I believe, I'm thankful for the right to pursue life, liberty and happiness and being able to make myself a better person in that pursuit and in the pursuit make life better for others. Being an American means I can voice my beliefs and have laws to back up that right and the right to disagree. Being an American means I can study other cultures, experience the benefits of multiple cultures that have made America. For me being an American gives me the opportunity to work at being the person I want to be, but it also means I have the responsibility to give back for that opportunity to be a part of what I deem a team which is America and continue to help make this country better for everyone on my team. That there is not one religious tenent I have to follow but a multitude I can pick from to make myself a better person and choose to believe in. That I have the right to these things but am not entitled to sit and expect them to be handed to me. Makes me a better person and, in that pursuit, hopefully someone else.

Thank You Gunns. This is what I was looking for when I made the thread.

Well said. Rep.

Rohirrim
05-14-2010, 08:49 AM
I believe that one of the main obstacles that we have as Americans is that we still have a John Wayne soul but we're trying to put together a cohesive society. In other words, we are a people who value individualism; Individual freedom and individual accomplishment. If you watch the best John Wayne movie, The Searchers how does he end up? Strolling away from the warmth of society, alone, isolated, out into the sunset. And the door closes behind him. That's the American spirit. It captures the bravery and the self-determination of our spirit, but also the solitude and sometimes our isolation. This leads to one of great assets of our national personality; We are always willing to try something new.

We are always willing to take down the old and replace it with the new. We remake ourselves faster than any other society. Old Europe, Japan, China, Russia, etc. are locked into rigid customs that stifle their societies. Americans have a variety of customs, and yet we are willing to toss them every few generations and make some new ones. This is the strength we get from our diversity. Immigrants come here to make a new life. They see America as the place where you are not locked into the Old World customs, and rigid norms, and religious oppression, or caste systems. Here, you make yourself into whatever you dream you can be. That is our energy. We must constantly fight against those who would impose their "values" on us and lock us into those Old World repressions of caste, class and religion, or the New World oppressions of political correctness.

It is difficult to sustain a system where the freedom of the individual is your foundation. Societies always seem to work to drive the individual back into the herd. We need to always fight for that ability to stand out there on the hill, all alone, and tell the world to go **** itself. ;D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n4KWq1UQtXU/R3KW7MM_9CI/AAAAAAAACGU/vTcAw4YUizU/s400/the+searchers+end+shot.jpg

baja
05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
I believe that one of the main obstacles that we have as Americans is that we still have a John Wayne soul but we're trying to put together a cohesive society. In other words, we are a people who value individualism; Individual freedom and individual accomplishment. If you watch the best John Wayne movie, The Searchers how does he end up? Strolling away from the warmth of society, alone, isolated, out into the sunset. And the door closes behind him. That's the American spirit. It captures the bravery and the self-determination of our spirit, but also the solitude and sometimes our isolation. This leads to one of great assets of our national personality; We are always willing to try something new.

We are always willing to take down the old and replace it with the new. We remake ourselves faster than any other society. Old Europe, Japan, China, Russia, etc. are locked into rigid customs that stifle their societies. Americans have a variety of customs, and yet we are willing to toss them every few generations and make some new ones. This is the strength we get from our diversity. Immigrants come here to make a new life. They see America as the place where you are not locked into the Old World customs, and rigid norms, and religious oppression, or caste systems. Here, you make yourself into whatever you dream you can be. That is our energy. We must constantly fight against those who would impose their "values" on us and lock us into those Old World repressions of caste, class and religion, or the New World oppressions of political correctness.

It is difficult to sustain a system where the freedom of the individual is your foundation. Societies always seem to work to drive the individual back into the herd. We need to always fight for that ability to stand out there on the hill, all alone, and tell the world to go **** itself. ;D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n4KWq1UQtXU/R3KW7MM_9CI/AAAAAAAACGU/vTcAw4YUizU/s400/the+searchers+end+shot.jpg

Great post Ro, one of you best ever and that is saying something because you have had some outstanding contributions.

It is that resiliency and flexibility that make the USA the the nation the best equipped to usher in a new age if in fact one is coming

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM

What it means to be a citizen of the USA today:

Always watching what you say, free speech is not really the case anymore. Political correctness is more important than truth. To be an American today you have to watch a lot of TV to get your opinion. You have buy into what the elitists and the minorities deem as important. In American, a few can have power over many, for example, gays who represent a small minority can cast power over 250 million people in things like marriage. Being an American in the USA today means paying taxes to a government that wastes your money and is not accountible to you. It means less state power, less individual power and more cow towing to a federal bueaucracy that is elitist and disconnected. Living in this country means you have to disregard your own needs in order to provide for someone else needs because everyone is "entitled" to your wealth. Being an American means that you don't really have to try, you just have to complain a lot. Things like illegal immigration is ok because when it's a minority of color, then it's racist to expect them to follow the law. Being an American today means forgetting everything the previous generations did for this country and instead focus on all the negetive aspects of our society. It means special rights for some people, and persecution for others. It means being different is ok, as long as that difference is accepted in Hollywood. It means the entertainment industries tell you how to think and feel because you are too lazy to think for yourself.

baja
05-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Always watching what you say, free speech is not really the case anymore. Political correctness is more important than truth. To be an American today you have to watch a lot of TV to get your opinion. You have buy into what the elitists and the minorities deem as important. In American, a few can have power over many, for example, gays who represent a small minority can cast power over 250 million people in things like marriage. Being an American in the USA today means paying taxes to a government that wastes your money and is not accountible to you. It means less state power, less individual power and more cow towing to a federal bueaucracy that is elitist and disconnected. Living in this country means you have to disregard your own needs in order to provide for someone else needs because everyone is "entitled" to your wealth. Being an American means that you don't really have to try, you just have to complain a lot. Things like illegal immigration is ok because when it's a minority of color, then it's racist to expect them to follow the law. Being an American today means forgetting everything the previous generations did for this country and instead focus on all the negetive aspects of our society. It means special rights for some people, and persecution for others. It means being different is ok, as long as that difference is accepted in Hollywood. It means the entertainment industries tell you how to think and feel because you are too lazy to think for yourself.

Sadly this is mostly true. Unfortunately it is deemed unpatriotic to say so. Hopefully we the people will reclaim our precious heritage. Tragically the younger citizens have never experienced what this country once was was so there is no sense of loss.

Meck77
05-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Is it "American" to emphatically say things like "America is over", "America will fail", "You have less of a chance of surviving on American soil then I do because I live in Baja, Mexico"?

Is that American?

baja
05-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Is it "American" to emphatically say things like "America is over", "America will fail", "You have less of a chance of surviving on American soil then I do because I live in Baja, Mexico"?

Is that American?

I knew you would come in here and soil on this thread with you ill founded bitterness.

Care to put you hate for me aside and answer the OP?

In your own words

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Is that American?

Freedom of speech is very American. As Voltaire once said: "I disagree with everything you say, but I'll defend to my death your right to say it."

Question: is truth subjective?
Question: is truth hate mongering?

I believe Truth is Truth and it is not up for personal interpretation. I also believe Truth comes from a higher power.

baja
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Is that American?

I see our current issues as global not uniquely the USA.

BTW Baja is in N. America, it's a continent you see.

mkporter
05-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Wow, you must really hate being an American. Maybe Beck and Limbaugh will start a new country that you can move to.

Rohirrim
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Great post Ro, one of you best ever and that is saying something because you have had some outstanding contributions.

It is that resiliency and flexibility that make the USA the the nation the best equipped to usher in a new age if in fact one is coming

"It's here we've got the range
and the machinery for change
and it's here we've got the spiritual thirst."
Leonard Cohen

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Wow, you must really hate being an American. Maybe Beck and Limbaugh will start a new country that you can move to.

I don't listen to them. I don't get my opinion from the media/entertainment industry. Or, didn't you read my post? I guess you don't really understand what I wrote.

And yes, sometimes it's hard to be an American (sung to the tune of Sometimes it's hard to be a woman by Loretta Lynn).

baja
05-14-2010, 12:31 PM

It's not about hating the USA it's about hating what has happened to a great political experiment. We are losing it and if you don't see that then there will be nothing to stop it from crumbling.

You should listen to your Founding Fathers - Question authority.

baja
05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
"It's here we've got the range
and the machinery for change
<b>and it's here we've got the spiritual thirst."</b>
Leonard Cohen

Some do some don't

Change can be easy

Change can be hard

mkporter
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't listen to them. I don't get my opinion from the media/entertainment industry. Or, didn't you read my post? I guess you don't really understand what I wrote.

And yes, sometimes it's hard to be an American (sung to the tune of Sometimes it's hard to be a woman by Loretta Lynn).

I read what you wrote. It just sounded like a list of their talking points. It also sounded like a lot of people who whine about how awful it is to be straight, christian, white, and wealthy in this country.

mkporter
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM
It's not about hating the USA it's about hating what has happened to a great political experiment. We are losing it and if you don't see that then there will be nothing to stop it from crumbling.

You should listen to your Founding Fathers - Question authority.

There are certainly some problems with our "great political experiment," but chalking them up to the gays, minorities, the poor, and these mysterious "elitists," is just trying to put them blame on somebody or something else.

-Allowing gays to marry isn't going to ruin America, or your own marriage. Gays don't have power over 250M people. Gays and the people that agree with them can, however.
-Political correctness sometimes gets out of hand, but it is far better than racism, sexism, and bigotry.
-There is waste in Government, and we must always push our representatives to do better. In all likelyhood, however, you are paying less in federal taxes than you ever have.
-In my opinion, we should have the "elites" running the country. Being "elite" is different than being elitist. Too many people confuse the two.
-We have a social safety net because it is in our national interest to help those less fortunate better themselves. It gets abused by some, and this is unfortunate, but the benefits outweigh the costs. Too much income disparity between the rich and the poor, and the elimination of the middle class has taken down most of the great civilizations of the world.
-We have a progressive taxation system which correctly acknowledges the marginal utility of money. Your first $10k in salary is many times more valuable than your 50th $10k.
-Most people think illegal immigration is not okay. There is a wide range of opinion, however, regarding how much compassion we should show illegal immigrants.

mkporter
05-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Is irony the right word here?

ghwk
05-14-2010, 01:20 PM
The Yo Yo champion video reminds me of this board.

In that case this board is awesome just like the yo yo guy is awesome.

baja
05-14-2010, 01:22 PM
In that case this board is awesome just like the yo yo guy is awesome.

It's not the Yo-Yo guy it's the TV talking heads in the clips that remind me of some on this board.

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
There are certainly some problems with our "great political experiment," but chalking them up to the gays, minorities, the poor, and these mysterious "elitists," is just trying to put them blame on somebody or something else.

-Allowing gays to marry isn't going to ruin America, or your own marriage. Gays don't have power over 250M people. Gays and the people that agree with them can, however.
-Political correctness sometimes gets out of hand, but it is far better than racism, sexism, and bigotry.
-There is waste in Government, and we must always push our representatives to do better. In all likelyhood, however, you are paying less in federal taxes than you ever have.
-In my opinion, we should have the "elites" running the country. Being "elite" is different than being elitist. Too many people confuse the two.
-We have a social safety net because it is in our national interest to help those less fortunate better themselves. It gets abused by some, and this is unfortunate, but the benefits outweigh the costs. Too much income disparity between the rich and the poor, and the elimination of the middle class has taken down most of the great civilizations of the world.
-We have a progressive taxation system which correctly acknowledges the marginal utility of money. Your first $10k in salary is many times more valuable than your 50th $10k.
-Most people think illegal immigration is not okay. There is a wide range of opinion, however, regarding how much compassion we should show illegal immigrants.

My main point is that things like marriage should be determined by the state, not the fed gov.

Yes, I'm anti-big government, however I do think states should have way more ability to govern according to their constituency where as elitists like Obama feel the fed gov should have more power. Yes, I think Obama is elitist as is almost all of the Senate and they House.

the truly elite people in our society avoid politics for obvious reasons, they don't want to get embroiled in that mess. However, elitists are exactly what the Pelosis' of the world are.

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I read what you wrote. It just sounded like a list of their talking points. It also sounded like a lot of people who whine about how awful it is to be straight, christian, white, and wealthy in this country.

I guess you're the one listening to Beck and Limbaugh because I don't know what they are saying and I really don't care. I don't watch the mainstream news on any kind of regular basis. When I do want information I try to go to a few different sources to get the information. I try to triangulate my news, if possible.

Miss I.
05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Some do some don't

Change can be easy

Change can be hard

The reminds me that sometimes, well sometimes... You know.... Sometimes...I feel like a nut....and Sometimes...I don't.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CjVKUap1HgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CjVKUap1HgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Oh, and one other thing, since you are keen on irony. If the fed gov steps in and says that everyone has to recognize gay marriage, then my main point has come to fruition. That is, a small minority of people (gays) have just forced their will over an entire country (250+ million people).

Again, I feel its a state issue, or a local issue whether or not to recognize gay marriage.

mkporter
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
I guess you're the one listening to Beck and Limbaugh because I don't know what they are saying and I really don't care. I don't watch the mainstream news on any kind of regular basis. When I do want information I try to go to a few different sources to get the information. I try to triangulate my news, if possible.

I do occasionally listen to them. Their shows inform a large percentage of people with viewpoints similar to yours. I also read the Washington Times and the Wall Street Journal. I think the biggest issue with the polarization of our politics and our populace is that people put themselves in an echo chamber and refuse to even listen to the other viewpoint. That's why I'm here throwing bytes back and forth with you. :~ohyah!:

mkporter
05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Oh, and one other thing, since you are keen on irony. If the fed gov steps in and says that everyone has to recognize gay marriage, then my main point has come to fruition. That is, a small minority of people (gays) have just forced their will over an entire country (250+ million people).

Again, I feel its a state issue, or a local issue whether or not to recognize gay marriage.

Forcing one's opinion is much different than convincing a majority. I'm not gay, but I believe that they should have the right to marry, and have the benefits that are attached to marriage. Gay people didn't force that on me, I just happen to agree.

How exactly does it affect you to recognize gay marriage? Does this mean you love and cherish the one you are married to less?

Meck77
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I knew you would come in here and soil on this thread with you ill founded bitterness.

Care to put you hate for me aside and answer the OP?

In your own words

Hate you? How could I hate someone who is not even real to me or this community? Hell you admitted to me that your real friends in life wouldn't even recognize the "online version of baja". Hey it's all good but sad at the same time. This is the internet and you can be whoever it is you want to be. :thumbsup:

gunns
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Nice post! The bolded part is very true, but as I get older I wish for a slower time. I know that society today is fast paced to achieve what you need to achieve but I just have a desire for slower, more relaxed time. That may just be an age thing.

baja
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Hate you? How could I hate someone who is not even real to me or this community? Hell you admitted to me that your real friends in life wouldn't even recognize the "online version of baja". Hey it's all good though. This is the internet and you can be whoever it is you want to be. :thumbsup:

I'd answer the original OP if I believed the poster wasn't just straight up full of shiat to begin with.

Ever notice you have a need to follow me around and make your responses all about me.

Just so you know I have no desire to be your down-lo buddy.

Guess you can't come up with anything in your own words as to what it means to be an American. ???

All you can manage is lashing out at me.

baja
05-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77
Hate you? How could I hate someone who is not even real to me or this community? Hell you admitted to me that your real friends in life wouldn't even recognize the "online version of baja". Hey it's all good though. This is the internet and you can be whoever it is you want to be.

<b>I'd answer the original OP if I believed the poster wasn't just straight up full of shiat to begin with.</b>

I see you edited this part out.

So you won't share your thoughts on being American because of who asks the question - what a weak cope out. I think it's because you are afraid to state your beliefs in your own words, am I right?

Gee if only I had a bus bet I could get all kinds of Bronco fans to stop by and drink my beer. ;D

Meck77
05-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Baja you can be whatever it is you want to be here pal. I am whatever you say I am.

As far as the thread topic. Being an American to me means calling "internet personalities like you" who secretly wish for the American way of life to fail so they can justify to themselves and others that running to mexico to live was the right choice.

Baja we've all read it. America is doomed! Every month you come up with some other crazy story of how we are all going to die and that we should all adopt your way of life in Mexico! You think you are the only person on this forum who is capable of survival. That's a bit much to think that the other 8,000 members of this forum are too stupid to live or take care of their families.

Archer81
05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
This entire thread is what it means to be American.

baja
05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Baja you can be whatever it is you want to be here pal. I am whatever you say I am.

As far as the thread topic being an American to me means calling "internet personalities like you" who secretly wish for the American way of life to fail so they can justify to themselves and others that running to mexico to live was the right choice.

You so don't know me you spoiled rich, arrogant, self important fool of a person.

Meck77
05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Like I said Baja. I am whatever it is you say I am. As far as you go my impression comes only from what you've told me and that is that you do not speak the truth nor is your online persona real. It's all I have to go by. Again you said yourself "My real friends wouldn't even believe what I say in here". If that is the case then how am I suppose to know you really are? Baja you know this is a fact.

I have nothing to hide and have met 100+ people of this forum. Your opinion of me is meaningless.

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Forcing one's opinion is much different than convincing a majority. I'm not gay, but I believe that they should have the right to marry, and have the benefits that are attached to marriage. Gay people didn't force that on me, I just happen to agree.

How exactly does it affect you to recognize gay marriage? Does this mean you love and cherish the one you are married to less?

Again, I think it's a state issue, not a fed gov issue. It's one more step towards marginalizing my personal beliefs in order to placate a small minority. The vast majority of America wants the institution of marriage to remain between one man and one woman. This is arguable one of the basic building blocks of our entire civilization. To ignore this is to ignore basic common sense.

Others have argued that if we recognize homosexual marriage, what is to stop other minorities from saying that we now have to recognize the marriages of multiple partners. Shouldn't we also recognize polygamy? How about one man and one donkey? I know that's extreme but still...

Miss I.
05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I've been biting my tongue, which by the way isn't easy for me. But this thread has variously inspired me to smart off, write things I sincerely feel and to be irritated by the blatant manipulation to deliberately incite people with insults and bull****. yes, I suppose as my friend pointed out above, this thread is a bit like America in that way, we fight, we laugh, we sincerely embrace things or people and sometimes people behave like asshats just to get a fight started (hockey comes to mind).

But I am tired of reading the crap being thrown at Meck because I think it's crap. I feel manipulated and irritated and had been resolved to stay out of it, but I like Meck and I don't feel like he should have ridiculous insults hurled at him (rich, arrogant, spoiled?) I went to the same high school as Meck,and he wasn't any of the things you describe. He just happens to have a differing opinion which is one of the great things about freedom of speech.

The fact of the matter is with regard to the post topic, There is NO one right answer to What does it mean to be an American? It's all subjective, yet in various things above you said, "That's the answer I was looking for." Well if that's your answer why don't you post it instead of trying to get it out of us. Our opinions are our opinions.

anyway, that's my .02 and I am done and out of here. peace and harmony to you all

baja
05-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe you have missed the things he has labeled me such as traitor coward hiding in mexico. A little more serious that the words I use to get back at him after reason failed years ago. If I remember you left the board for a while because of a name someone called you. How did you like being called that terrible name well I don't like being falsely and viciously characterized either. Sure he comes in sometimes an pretends to take the high road. you should read the looong neg reps i constantly get form the guy you might take a different opinion.

Tombstone RJ
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I think Meck tries to keep things in perspective. I've only met him once and he's a very down to Earth guy. I think you and Meck just need to call a truce and avoid each other as much as possible. I know you think he follows you around but it's hard not to baja. Seriously, you're everywhere on the Mane.

baja
05-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I think Meck tries to keep things in perspective. I've only met him once and he's a very down to Earth guy. I think you and Meck just need to call a truce and avoid each other as much as possible. I know you think he follows you around but it's hard not to baja. Seriously, you're everywhere on the Mane.

That's a good idea ,truce. I have been wanting to do that for some time. I almost never quote him but if you look most of these interchanges begin when he quotes me and calls me out with a bunch of lies no matter what I do to set him straight.

I'll offer this I will never quote Meck again since you know him maybe you can ask him to do the same with me.

I don't care to be called a traitor to my country because of my address so I rip back because that is all he leaves me with.

If he will stop quoting me than attacking me you will never see the word meck in one of my posts again

Meck77
05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks RJ/Miss.....

I never understood the situation to be honest with you. I've tangled with the best of them here over the years and personally met and shook hands with all of them at some point. This case is just different. No big deal as you can't really be angry with someone or something that doesn't really exist anyway.

For the sake of the community I agree that a truce is in order. I will respond to any personal attack though.

Hell I'm glad that some people choose not to live in this great country. It makes just that much more room on our beautiful lakes and rivers of Colorado! Mexico can keep soccer also. We have Broncos football! What is more American than that?:thumbs:

Miss I.
05-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks RJ/Miss.....

I never understood the situation to be honest with you. I've tangled with the best of them here over the years and personally met and shook hands with all of them at some point. This case is just different. No big deal as you can't really be angry with someone or something that doesn't really exist anyway.

For the sake of the community I agree that a truce is in order. I will respond to any personal attack though.

Hell I'm glad that some people choose not to live in this great country. It makes just that much more room on our beautiful lakes and rivers of Colorado! Mexico can keep soccer also. We have Broncos football! What is more American than that?:thumbs:

A truce sounds good. but leave soccer alone Meck, I like it and I played it so no making fun of it. Oh wait, that is American, darn it. ;D Seriously it does work 2 ways, so, oh behave.. sorry went a little Austin Powers for a second.

And Baja, you know I am fond of you. I hope this truce holds on both sides, but in the end, as I finally decided with the guy who said that stupid word, I know who I am, who cares what somebody on the internet says.

now :peace: damn you, :peace: :twokisses:-*

hambone13
05-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Best post so far

Agreed. Well said.

hambone13
05-15-2010, 01:37 AM

I'm a former Marine and being an "American" Constitution supporter has nothing to do with my impression of "being an American". I thought your original post was philosophically alike to my own impression of how I should perceive myself before I associate myself with geography.

TomServo
05-15-2010, 01:46 AM
K, my great grandfather didnt speak a lick of english. my grandfathers spanish accent was so thick my mom had to "translate" it for for me w/i was little . since @ jr. high i thanked god "the border crossed me"

TomServo
05-15-2010, 01:48 AM
go AZ, the Feds wont help. Help Yourselves

hambone13
05-15-2010, 01:58 AM

Good stuff. I've been reading along to see if this thread ever got even remotely serious and you mention many elements of my perception.

TomServo
05-15-2010, 02:03 AM
Mexico has Two sweet coasts for tourists, baja is a Bonus. mexico has OIL. mexico has agriculture. and yet mexico bitches and moans. Wahh Wahh the Anericanos ...Sorry

TomServo
05-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I magine Mexico swapping mexico for.......Korea

TomServo
05-15-2010, 02:06 AM
or japan
or germany

TomServo
05-15-2010, 02:06 AM
the mexicans ****ed up mexico

baja
05-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Mexico has Two sweet coasts for tourists, baja is a Bonus. mexico has OIL. mexico has agriculture. and yet mexico b****es and moans. Wahh Wahh the Anericanos ...Sorry

No argument from me.

hambone13
05-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Several posters have mentioned or at least alluded to this important aspect of geographic nomenclature but I think it is important to clarify: The Americas are two continents with multiple countries and cultures.

The United States of America is the entity I believe Baja was alluding to in his desire to get an interesting thread rolling. I'm not trying to be a "nomenclature b****" Baja but I've always had the impression we had an international visiting base at the Mane. After living abroad for over 5 years of my life, I came to realize that this is an important thing to recognize. Otherwise, as a country, we show our collective asses to be as ignorant, arrogant and uninformed as much of the educated world perceives us. The funny thing is, Canada and Mexico "Our Neighbors" tend to be the first to justifiably mention it.

One of the first questions I was asked when I started my first day as a Grade 12 (Senior) high school student in Victoria, BC was, "How many provinces are in Canada?", by my Physics instructor. Fortunately, I had a 2nd grade (Canadian) teacher in the USA, who had drilled into my head, "13" and all their proper nomenclature, so I rattled 'em off (technically it's 10 provinces and 3 territories). I was instantly elevated to an "atypical US American" because I knew something about my neighbors. Think about it, how many Americans would know that and could name them? All Canadians are taught all of our states, early on, as a matter of American geography.

For me, what it means to be an American (US citizen), is to remember that I have family lineage and current family here that are serving and have served and fought for a greater good through both World Wars and every significant conflict since. Given that lineage, I was raised to support and respect the Constitution and not necessarily the acting government unless I believed it was supporting Constitutional ideas. Furthermore, that I would be responsible to understand, interpret support and pass on the importance of the Constitution to my offspring. Based on my own judgment, I was inspired to be skeptical of anything that didn't represent how I was raised to interpret those ideas, not only objectively but with a fine toothed comb. I believe it to be the greatest living document in government history.

As a US Citizen inspired by the spirit of the Constitution, I still believe all of those basic principals. I feel it is a constant responsibility to contribute to encouraging everyone around me to be aware enough to try and consider the same.

I have found that today especially, it is important to remember that freedom comes at the cost of recognizing, with less control, it's important to take responsibility for our freedoms and to ensure we are making it glaringly apparent that freedom can be as productive towards mankind, as control.

Great thread premise Baja.