PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles To Boycott Arizona

Dogsweat
05-12-2010, 11:01 PM
The Grand Canyon sounds like a great vacation.....

http://cbs2.com/local/Los.Angeles.City.2.1689109.html

Killericon
05-12-2010, 11:12 PM
The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

...No ****.

Bronco Boy
05-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm also boycotting Arizona. I haven't called my grandma since the law passed. Won't answer her calls either.

baja
05-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Barry Goldwater John McCain what do you expect?

UberBroncoMan
05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Humans are so ****ing stupid. Sheeples.

Mogulseeker
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
What does this even mean?

Are we not driving through AZ anymore? Are we not supporting the Suns basketball team?

broncocalijohn
05-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Janice Hahn (running for State office) and a member of the LA council also had a list to give to the lakers on how to cut down on spending in the state. Try telling Kobe that he should brown bag his dinner and not go eat at Phoenix's finest establishments. Yeah, that is gonna work especially with the HC stating he backs the law in Arizona.
For me, I am more and more looking at the Cards game as a great away game to go to and support Arizona.

Tombstone RJ
05-12-2010, 11:37 PM
LA. go figure.

Pool
05-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Lakers won't be going to Phoenix for games ???

DenverBroncosJM
05-13-2010, 12:15 AM
LA should never travel to Arizona for any game right? I mean that's what this means.

Ohh wait it doesn't pertain to that? Ohh well how about baseball? Hmm ok not that either ok well anything that doesn't effect us to much ok the the rule for Arizona.

Mogulseeker
05-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah, that is gonna work especially with the HC stating he backs the law in Arizona.
For me, I am more and more looking at th

I wouldn't go that far.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/05/phil-jackson-wants-to-keep-politics-out-of-sports/1

UberBroncoMan
05-13-2010, 01:09 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/350731/nash.jpg

broncocalijohn
05-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Lakers won't be going to Phoenix for games ???

well, I think they are going there for one trip. Game 3 and 4 to close it out. But they will be back in LA celebrating.

cutthemdown
05-13-2010, 01:28 AM
what a joke of a move for a cash strapped city. Notice how they didn't end the important contracts they could be sued for though? like the wind farm they are building. California is a joke.

cutthemdown
05-13-2010, 01:29 AM
its not a total ban, lakers are private. It's only official city business. In other words Arizona could care less, they still save more with the law.

UberBroncoMan
05-13-2010, 01:31 AM
its not a total ban, lakers are private. It's only official city business. In other words Arizona could care less, they still save more with the law.

It's nothing more than a political move to gain Hispanic sheeple and sheeple sympathizer votes.

cutthemdown
05-13-2010, 01:34 AM
What we need is a similar law here in southern california.

Archer81
05-13-2010, 01:51 AM
If Cali keeps pushing it az can decide to review water and power contracts...

:Broncos:

OBF1
05-13-2010, 02:01 AM
LA is so screwed up.... way over budget, billions in the hole, Makes great business sense. I live here and hate this kind of BS.

ZONA
05-13-2010, 02:23 AM
This whole thing is a total joke. Cops everywhere already pull people over for "reasonable suspicion" anyway. And this law only mirrors the federal law. Is California going to stop doing business with the Feds also?

I'm curious, what part of "reasonable suspicion" means racial? The people of Mexico, and from anywhere really, can be from light all the way to dark. How could you honestly say who might be illegal or who isn't just by looking at somebody's skin color? You can't.

Trust me, there are far too many other things cops here need to be doing beside hunting down illegals. Their budgets were cut also and there are even less police out there and this city (Metro Phoenix Area) has the most red light runners in the nation, along with speeding, vehicle collisions and the list goes on. Then you get to the real crimes, shootings, robberies, etc. People act as if the police down here are going to be doing nothing other then stopping Mexicans walking down the street asking for their ID's. I've got 12 members of my family in law enforcment down here and I hear all the time about how the days are filled with non stop calls on domestic issues. They tell me all the time they don't even have time to stop and pull over speeders because they're on their way to the next call already. lol.

Screw LA. There are millions of good and honest people working and living in Arizona and ANY boycots hurt the people before they hurt the Arizona government. If the money stops coming in, the State just makes more cuts. The State keeps on going doing it's thing. It's the people that have jobs that either work for the State, or even business that depend on those contracts, that get hurt.

I'd like for business everywhere to boycott going to LA until they get cleaner air. How'd that be LA? I wouldn't go there again anyway. That place is a dump. I drove I-10 to LA once and when I got over the mountains there and could not believe the color of their smog. Over here it's brown and you can see it for sure. Even in Denver you can see the brown cloud. But what I saw was almost greyish black, it was that dark. It was nasty.

cutthemdown
05-13-2010, 02:34 AM

I have a point to make.

It's the job of the president, and the federal govt, to legislate and enforce the areas of law, and society, where the constitution says for it to.

It's more important then just what our freedoms are, or whose paying for healthcare. It get's the the root of what happened in the civil war. States going there own way on matters they don't have the authority to do, if we are going to have a union.

Fighting over illegal immigration not enough, but what if its just the start. Medical Marijuana, Immigration, we could end up with gay this here, no gay there, in the end some state may say you know what **** this republic we want to go it alone or make a union with a couple of states etc etc.

If Obama was smart he would nip this in the bud right now.

Just like you said what next Arizona saying no water from colo river for you unless you repeal medical marijuana? I mean states either have a right to go it alone or they don't. Obama just being a bystander while states divide over issues just seems like poor leadership to me.

Not left, or right, just poor leadership.

ZONA
05-13-2010, 02:43 AM
I have a point to make.

It's the job of the president, and the federal govt, to legislate and enforce the areas of law, and society, where the constitution says for it to.

It's more important then just what our freedoms are, or whose paying for healthcare. It get's the the root of what happened in the civil war. States going there own way on matters they don't have the authority to do, if we are going to have a union.

Fighting over illegal immigration not enough, but what if its just the start. Medical Marijuana, Immigration, we could end up with gay this here, no gay there, in the end some state may say you know what **** this republic we want to go it alone or make a union with a couple of states etc etc.

If Obama was smart he would nip this in the bud right now.

Just like you said what next Arizona saying no water from colo river for you unless you repeal medical marijuana? I mean states either have a right to go it alone or they don't. Obama just being a bystander while states divide over issues just seems like poor leadership to me.

Not left, or right, just poor leadership.

He might be working on something or trying to figure out how best to go about handling this matter. Better to study it for a bit and figure out how best to go about things then to just jump right in before you clearly have a plan of action. This bill wasn't passed that long ago so I think it's a bit to early to say Obama and crew aren't going to do anything about it.

But I do agree with what you are saying. It does need to be handled and hopefully they will do something about it in the coming months. I mean, if this thing keeps steamrolling along, it affects the Federal government also. You start getting all these cities and states wanting to boycott business in AZ, it's only going to turn Arizona into a state with dire circumstances. You're going to have even more layoffs and less jobs, meaning more federal assistance. The state will have to start making some radical cutbacks, such as border patrol, education, realestate. People will start leaving here and flooding other cities, wich in then is going to hurt those economies. Just like what you saw with Katrina, how Texas has the massive inflow of civilians.

JJJ
05-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Ha! Yeah because LA is such a beacon of racial solidarity.

Broncos4Life
05-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Yup. Let those ****ers drink salt water in the dark!

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 08:41 AM
What does this even mean?

Are we not driving through AZ anymore? Are we not supporting the Suns basketball team?

It means some politicians in LA want to pretend they are doing something. I promise Arizona won't notice two cities' mayors from the most economically screwed up state are mad at them.

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_15074265

WASHINGTON — A strong majority of Americans support Arizona's controversial new immigration law and would back similar laws in their own states, a new McClatchy-Ipsos poll found.

Sixty-one percent of Americans — and 64 percent of registered voters — said they favored the law in a survey of 1,016 adults conducted May 6-9.

Strikingly, nearly half of the Democrats polled liked the law, under which local law enforcement officers are tasked with verifying people's immigration status if they suspect them of being in the country illegally. While the Democratic Party generally is regarded as more sympathetic to the plight of illegal immigrants, 46 percent of Democrats said they favored the law for Arizona, and 49 percent said they'd favor the law's passage in their own states.

More than eight in 10 Republicans and 54 percent of independents polled favored the law.

In addition, about 69 percent of Americans said they wouldn't mind if police officers stopped them to ask for proof of citizenship or the legal right to be in the country; about 29 percent would mind, considering it a violation of their rights; and about 3 percent were unsure.

RMT
05-13-2010, 08:58 AM
...No ****.

what would be MOST telling is if the council members who supported this resolution admitted whether or not they were each "anchor babies" which is how they got their "citizenship" in the first place.

count me among those who will NOT be supporting california. we need to identify ways to support Arizona financially online.

Jason in LA
05-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Well seeing that I have an unpaid speeding ticket in Az from like 8 years ago, I'm not planning on going to that state anyways. When I got the ticket my first thought was, well, I guess I won't be coming back to this state any time soon. ;D

footstepsfrom#27
05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Arizona...the new Alabama.

chadta
05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
im canadian and i wouldnt mind being stopped, heck when im in the US i always have my passport, cuz thats whats needed to enter the country, dont wanna carry it, dont enter the country, seems pretty simple to me.

Kaylore
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
im canadian and i wouldnt mind being stopped, heck when im in the US i always have my passport, cuz thats whats needed to enter the country, dont wanna carry it, dont enter the country, seems pretty simple to me.

That's racist of you! You dirty fascist!

broncocalijohn
05-13-2010, 12:42 PM
what would be MOST telling is if the council members who supported this resolution admitted whether or not they were each "anchor babies" which is how they got their "citizenship" in the first place.

count me among those who will NOT be supporting california. we need to identify ways to support Arizona financially online.

We have a tailgate thread for the game vs Cardinals. Best way to support them is to make a trip to the game and stay in one of the hotels. It might be cheaper if they are really hurting. I have a feeling true Americans will support the state somehow. I wish and hope we pass a proposition like Arizona. Nothing like gettin git passed and then watching SF and LA trying to get out of contracts with its own state. We passed 187 and we sure can pass this one that is much lighter in the Hurting the Mexicans' Feelings department.

Rigs11
05-13-2010, 04:41 PM
note that this truck driver is an American.No racial profiling? give me a break.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling

PHOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.”

3TV caught up with Abdon after he was released from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in central Phoenix. He and his wife, Jackie, are still upset about what happened to him.

Jackie tells 3TV, “It's still something awful to be targeted. I can't even imagine what he felt, people watching like he was some type of criminal.”

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked. He provided his commercial driver’s license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.
An agent called his wife and she had to leave work to drive home and grab other documents like his birth certificate.

Jackie explains, “I have his social security card as well and mine. He's legit. It's the first time it's ever happened.”

Both were born in the United States and say they are now both infuriated that keeping important documents safely at home is no longer an option.

Jackie says, “It doesn't feel like it's a good way of life, to live with fear, even though we are okay, we are legal…still have to carry documents around.”

A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TV’s calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.

The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling.

http://www.newsweek.com//frameset.aspx/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.azfamily.com%2Fvideo%2Ffeatu red-videos%2FMan-says-he-was-racially-targeted-forced-to-provide-birth-certificate-91769419.html

Archer81
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
This article is old.

He was pulled over the wednesday before the bill was signed. How can a law effect him if it was not a law yet?

Rigs11
05-13-2010, 04:50 PM
This article is old.

He was pulled over the wednesday before the bill was signed. How can a law effect him if it was not a law yet?

i thought you guys keep saying that the AZ law is no different then what the feds are already doing?

Archer81
05-13-2010, 04:55 PM
i thought you guys keep saying that the AZ law is no different then what the feds are already doing?

Yes...but this article points out the "horror" of a state law that had yet to be passed. These bills are not preemptive.

I suppose the 42 states that require their citizens to provide proof of citizenship or residence are fascist, too?

mkporter
05-13-2010, 05:02 PM
It means some politicians in LA want to pretend they are doing something. I promise Arizona won't notice two cities' mayors from the most economically screwed up state are mad at them.

Arizona won't notice that their own mayors are mad at them?

cutthemdown
05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
It doesn't matter if we support the ariz law or not. Everyone should support the federal govt having the power over this type of issue. We can't have states going so far away from each other that it leads to more and more division.

It's not Obama's fault though. It's not the fault of the President who got left a mess other Presidents refused or failed to solve.

I do think it was more important, and more in the federal realm of authority then healthcare was. Bush blew it for 8 yrs on immigration though so it's not really Obama's fault.

Right now though he needs to step up. He needs to solve this problem within the next yr or it is going to polarize us all during the election and cloud the other issues.

Also if the states end up with vastly different immigration policies, it will be a cluster****.

Archer81
05-13-2010, 05:24 PM
It doesn't matter if we support the ariz law or not. Everyone should support the federal govt having the power over this type of issue. We can't have states going so far away from each other that it leads to more and more division.

It's not Obama's fault though. It's not the fault of the President who got left a mess other Presidents refused or failed to solve.

I do think it was more important, and more in the federal realm of authority then healthcare was. Bush blew it for 8 yrs on immigration though so it's not really Obama's fault.

Right now though he needs to step up. He needs to solve this problem within the next yr or it is going to polarize us all during the election and cloud the other issues.

Also if the states end up with vastly different immigration policies, it will be a cluster****.

I am amazed at how nothing is ever this president's fault. Arizona is having to take up immigration because the federal government has refused to. As president, its inaction IS his fault. Blaming Arizona for being so desperate to pass this law is his fault. The blame is not his alone...but the man has been president for over a year...blaming Bush at this point is weak and a glaring sign that Obama is not a leader.

mkporter
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM

It's really weird. Sometimes I read your posts and vehemently disagree, and then sometimes I think your posts are totally reasonable. Are you the only one that uses your account? ;D

Either way, very nicely stated. This problem has been botched/ignored by both sides of the aisle for a long time. Blame ain't gonna fix it. I'll be disappointed if the current administration doesn't make some progress on it.

GreatBronco16
05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Arizona...the new Alabama.

Umm, no.

Killericon
05-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDpIt2mf_es).

Garcia Bronco
05-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I think LA should keep it's dollars local anyway. Why are they farming business to another state? What's the motivation?

Taco John
05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Arizona law, but the way I see it, they are only trying to do what is best for their state. They know better than I do what that is.

Garcia Bronco
05-13-2010, 07:39 PM
They know better than I do what that is.

This is really truth, and exactly illustrates why the Feds are too big.