PDA

View Full Version : Electricians... any on the board?

Broncoman13
05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I need some help... please let me know. Nothing major, just changing out a 220 receptacle with another 220 but going from 30a to 20a.

TailgateNut
05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I need some help... please let me know. Nothing major, just changing out a 220 receptacle with another 220 but going from 30a to 20a.

More input please.

Broncoman13
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Dryer conversion to 20A for Tanning Bed?

How difficult of a process is this? The Tanning Bed calls for the following:

Amperage Dawn - 16

Circuit Needed - 20

Required Voltage - 235

Required Receptacle - NEMA 6-20

Is it as simple as removing the four prong receptacle and installing the 20A three prong (6-20) receptacle? Do I need to change anything else such as the breakers? And, is this a project that I can do myself relatively easy?

cmhargrove
05-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Dryer conversion to 20A for Tanning Bed?

How difficult of a process is this? The Tanning Bed calls for the following:

Amperage Dawn - 16

Circuit Needed - 20

Required Voltage - 235

Required Receptacle - NEMA 6-20

Is it as simple as removing the four prong receptacle and installing the 20A three prong (6-20) receptacle? Do I need to change anything else such as the breakers? And, is this a project that I can do myself relatively easy?

Yes, there is no need to change the breaker - a breaker rating is about maximum capacity before the breaker would trip. Therefore, a 30amp breaker will do your job just fine - no need to change it.

So, as long as you flip the breaker, then make sure to double check the outlet for current, then it is as simple as replacing one outlet type with another.

It is a relatively easy project, and it sounds like you are only working with one dedicated breaker / circuit, so it's hard to screw it up. If you have any questions, do the following:
1. first turn off the breaker
2. Open the existing outlet (making a diagram of all the connections).
3. Then, take the diagram to your neighborhoood Lowes and ask them how to wire your new outlet correctly (making sure you have properly identified both the "hot" wires and know where to connect them to the new outlet configuration.

It shouldn't be too difficult if you're handy. Otherwise, just call Tebow, I hear he can do just abouut anything...

Dukes
05-12-2010, 08:16 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/nvrsumr/mr-mom.jpg

"Doing the whole house 220?"

"220, 221. Whatever it takes"

Broncoman13
05-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes, there is no need to change the breaker - a breaker rating is about maximum capacity before the breaker would trip. Therefore, a 30amp breaker will do your job just fine - no need to change it.

So, as long as you flip the breaker, then make sure to double check the outlet for current, then it is as simple as replacing one outlet type with another.

It is a relatively easy project, and it sounds like you are only working with one dedicated breaker / circuit, so it's hard to screw it up. If you have any questions, do the following:
3. Then, take the diagram to your neighborhoood Lowes and ask them how to wire your new outlet correctly (making sure you have properly identified both the "hot" wires and know where to connect them to the new outlet configuration.

It shouldn't be too difficult if you're handy. Otherwise, just call Tebow, I hear he can do just abouut anything...

What about the Tanning Bed needing 235... is that an issue?

Thanks for the post, VERY helpful.

theAPAOps5
05-12-2010, 08:21 PM
http://blog.servicemagic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mr-mom.jpg

"Doing the whole house 220?"

"220, 221. Whatever it takes"

Damn it! I was coming here to post that and you beat me to it. Golf clap for you sir!

theAPAOps5
05-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Dude a tanning bed? Tebow does not approve of your sexual preference......

Broncoman13
05-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Dude a tanning bed? Tebow does not approve of your sexual preference......

Hahaha... not for me. I sport the farmers tan from mowing the lawn ;D

Atwater His Ass
05-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Although this will work, it is a safety issue both for potential personnel and equipment damage.

If something is malfunctioning within the equipment casuing a current draw greater than 20A, you need to know about it prior to damage or injury occuring.

Change out the breaker to a 20A breaker.

Taco John
05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Well sh*t. They're installing effing tanning beds over at Alex's pad.

baja
05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
You're down sizing, just change the wires to the approbate prongs on the new receptacle and pop in the new (smaller in AMPS) breaker. Good to go.

theAPAOps5
05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah I am no electrician but it seems to me that if you are dropping down in amps its no big deal. Just go to Home Depot and get a 20A and then rewire. All you are doing is inserting a safe guard that will pop sooner given a spike.

Broncoman13
05-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Alright... was wondering if I needed to change out the CBs. Was advised to change'm out to two pole 20a. Works for me. I hate working with electricity. Even after you turn that shiat off all the way it's still gonna find a way to shock your ass somehow. ;D

baja
05-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Alright... was wondering if I needed to change out the CBs. Was advised to change'm out to two pole 20a. Works for me. I hate working with electricity. Even after you turn that shiat off all the way it's still gonna find a way to shock your ass somehow. ;D

Be sure to stand in water and leave the breakers in the on position while you work it will teach you to focus. ;D

Broncoman13
05-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Be sure to stand in water and leave the breakers in the on position while you work it will teach you to focus. ;D

Thanks... Friend!

baja
05-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks... Friend!

Wax on Wax off ;D

TailgateNut
05-13-2010, 08:02 AM
From what I understand You are changing a Single phase 125/250V 30Amp service with a 3 pole 4 wire run (2 pos/1neutral/ground) with either 12 or 10AWG wire to a single phase double pole 250V 20Amp service which requires a 14AWG or better 3 wire run.

If you have no experience I strongly suggest paying the small fee to have an electrician do the work.

You can do it yourself but be sure you follow code!

That One Guy
05-13-2010, 08:10 AM
From what I understand You are changing a Single phase 125/250V 30Amp service with a 3 pole 4 wire run (2 pos/1neutral/ground) with either 12 or 10AWG wire to a single phase double pole 250V 20Amp service which requires a 14AWG or better 3 wire run.

If you have no experience I strongly suggest paying the small fee to have an electrician do the work.

All that looks like code to me.

Just jam a screwdriver in there and start prying. Professionals are there to fix the job after we try it ourselves first. And if you're going to get shocked anyways, just skip the silly little part about turning off the electricity.

And most importantly, ignore me.

TailgateNut
05-13-2010, 08:51 AM
All that looks like code to me.

Just jam a screwdriver in there and start prying. Professionals are there to fix the job after we try it ourselves first. And if you're going to get shocked anyways, just skip the silly little part about turning off the electricity.

And most importantly, ignore me.

To do the job he wis attemting, he will have to replace circuit breakers and do some wiring in his panel. Unless he has a separate disconnect, he will trip the main breaker in the panel, but there will still be "JUICE" in the panel where he will be re-wiring the new breaker, and most likely this will be a 220V 100A + service panel.

Pur your finger or a screwdriver int he wrong place, and you'll get a new "Hairdo".

crawdad
05-13-2010, 08:55 AM
To do the job he wis attemting, he will have to replace circuit breakers and do some wiring in his panel. Unless he has a separate disconnect, he will trip the main breaker in the panel, but there will still be "JUICE" in the panel where he will be re-wiring the new breaker, and most likely this will be a 220V 100A + service panel.

Pur your finger or a screwdriver int he wrong place, and you'll get a new "Hairdo".

:yep:

kcbroncofan
05-13-2010, 08:57 AM
You don't need to change the breaker as long as the wire going to it is #10 or larger. Your bed will work just fine at 208.

TailgateNut
05-13-2010, 09:09 AM
You don't need to change the breaker as long as the wire going to it is #10 or larger. Your bed will work just fine at 208.

3-Pole to 2 Pole. Nuff said.

I'll stay out of it now. Just spit on your hands and use plenty of duct tape.

baja
05-13-2010, 09:12 AM
sell the stupid bed and buy a ticket to cabo you can stay at my house or on the ranch 13. ;D

Pony Boy
05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I've heard they have some really nice 110 growing lamps now.........you don't have to go with a 220 tanning bed. :thumbs:

Cito Pelon
05-13-2010, 04:22 PM

I disagree. He wants the breaker to trip at 20 amps, not 30 amps.

So replacing the breaker means shutting the main breaker down.

Atwater His Ass
05-13-2010, 04:53 PM

That's not what he's doing.

He's replacing a 30A, 220-240V drying receptacle with a 20A, 3-wire NEMA 6-20, 220-240V receptacle.

The drying receptacle could be either 3 or 4 wire. Doesn't matter. Current wire gauge should also be #10, which is also fine and is in fact over rated for a 20A circuit, which only requires #12 gauge (the lower the gauge number, the larger the wire).

To the OP:

First off, ZERO re-wiring is required.

With that out of the way, if you currently have a 4-wire dryer setup (2 "hots", 1 neutral, and 1 ground), connect each "hot" (red and black) to each live connection on the NEMA 6-20. Doesn't matte which ones. Connect the ground (green or bare) to the NEMA 6-20 ground terminal. Cap off the neutral (white) as it is not needed.

Go back into your electrical panel, kill the main disconnect, and pop out the old 30A 2-pole breaker and replace it with a new 20A two-pole breaker. Connect the "hots" (black and red) to each terminal of the breaker. Doesn't matter which ones.

If you have a 3-wire dryer setup, follow the above, except you won't have a neutral wire to cap off. Just 2 "hots" and a ground. But, if this is the case, the wires are probably black, white, and green/bare. Just use the black and white as the "hots" and green/bare for ground, i.e., don't let the white wire fool you into thinking it's a neutral.

Atwater His Ass
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM

There will not be eletricity on the load side of the panel if the main disconnect is turned OFF. There will still be juice on the incoming line side of the main disconnect, which can only be killed by pulling out the meter outside the house, but that doesn't need to happen.

He wont' be doing any work on the line side of the disconnect. Just the load side. Easy to verify dead with a multimeter before throwing your hands in there.

Broncoman13
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Very helpful Atwater... Thank you and everyone else that posted... The stuff that won't cook me anyway!

Popps
05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
There will not be eletricity on the load side of the panel if the main disconnect is turned OFF. There will still be juice on the incoming line side of the main disconnect, which can only be killed by pulling out the meter outside the house, but that doesn't need to happen.

He wont' be doing any work on the line side of the disconnect. Just the load side. Easy to verify dead with a multimeter before throwing your hands in there.

They make pencil-sized ones now that are fairly cheap. A must for every tool box.

watermock
05-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Jesus, just turn off the box and replace the circut breaker from 30a to 20a.

Actually, you don't have to do anything.

Unless you **** up and get a 220 voltage, your fine.

If you leave at that amp, any other thing will burn the fuse.

Just leave it and make sure you don't get 220.

30a is fine.

watermock
05-13-2010, 11:47 PM
I've overloaded lots of stuff.

That us what the fuse is for.

I have 2 on my puter and they always reboot.

I would suggext just putting a striBleacher Report states:
Remember that the Broncos traded three draft picks for Tebow; the most for one player in the NFL Draft since Ryan Leaf.

watermock
05-13-2010, 11:47 PM
fine

watermock
05-13-2010, 11:59 PM
**** you, and I mean personally.

Your some prick that has gotten inside my puter.

So be it.

Just want to say **** you.

hambone13
05-14-2010, 12:01 AM

So be it.

Someone seems to have had some adult beverages....or 12

Broncoman13
05-14-2010, 05:45 AM
The fuse thing does make sense though... Now I'm really confused.

Atwater His Ass
05-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Do what you want.

I'll only advise that it is against NEC to put an oversized breaker/circuit for a receptacle, i.e., it is against code to put a 30A breaker on a 20A rated appliance. You decide if you want to follow the regulations of people that know what they are talking about or the ravings of some internet message board drunk.

If this confuses you, then you probably shouldn't be accomplishing this mod on your own.

TotallyScrewed
05-14-2010, 07:29 AM
First off...an effing tanning bed? Show her the lawn mower and tell her it does two things at once: cardio and tanning. I mean...you're gonna get shocked anyway, right?

Second, Atwater is right about the Nat. Elect. Code.

Third, Mock is right, it should have a fuse to protect the device (an effing tanning bed) from frying itself should something go wrong. Never, never, ever boost up the rated fuse on an electrical devise of any nature unless you want a fire. The fuse is your first line of defense...not the breaker. The breaker is for defending the wires in the building.

Oh...always unplug the device before checking the fuse. Running a current through your voltmeter is a bad thing.

Broncoman13
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Do what you want.

I'll only advise that it is against NEC to put an oversized breaker/circuit for a receptacle, i.e., it is against code to put a 30A breaker on a 20A rated appliance. You decide if you want to follow the regulations of people that know what they are talking about or the ravings of some internet message board drunk.

If this confuses you, then you probably shouldn't be accomplishing this mod on your own.

No, I agree with you. It's the plan to replace the 30A with a 20A. New issue is that the cord is really short. Do they make extension cords for the NEMA -6-20 type plugs?

Broncoman13
05-14-2010, 08:58 AM
First off...an effing tanning bed? Show her the lawn mower and tell her it does two things at once: cardio and tanning. I mean...you're gonna get shocked anyway, right?

Second, Atwater is right about the Nat. Elect. Code.

Third, Mock is right, it should have a fuse to protect the device (an effing tanning bed) from frying itself should something go wrong. Never, never, ever boost up the rated fuse on an electrical devise of any nature unless you want a fire. The fuse is your first line of defense...not the breaker. The breaker is for defending the wires in the building.

Oh...always unplug the device before checking the fuse. Running a current through your voltmeter is a bad thing.

Tanning bed isn't a big deal to me. We've been talking about getting one for a long time. As far as mowing the lawn, no way am I going to give up my lawn duties. I enjoy mowing, edging, scaping, etc.

theAPAOps5
05-14-2010, 09:13 AM
I've overloaded lots of stuff.

That us what the fuse is for.

I have 2 on my puter and they always reboot.

I would suggext just putting a striBleacher Report states:
Remember that the Broncos traded three draft picks for Tebow; the most for one player in the NFL Draft since Ryan Leaf.

fine

So be it.

Easily the 3 best consecutive posts on the Mane in a long time. I am not even sure what happened. Talking about fuses, then the Broncos, then a reply to whom I don't know, and then anger.

Either someone erased some antagonistic replies or the wrong thread!

Popps
05-14-2010, 09:17 AM

So be it.

http://www.revitcity.com/forum_files/56424_face_palm.bmp

cmhargrove
05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
No, I agree with you. It's the plan to replace the 30A with a 20A. New issue is that the cord is really short. Do they make extension cords for the NEMA -6-20 type plugs?

Oh man, if you had said this in the first place, you could have just gotten a new power cable (the proper length) and rewired from the electrical panel of your tanning bed to the old style of 220 outlet (if it's in good shape).

What have you done so far, or is this going to be your weekend project?

55CrushEm
05-14-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm an electrician. I've given women the shocker.

Ba-da-bing. I'm here all week.

Popps
05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Do what you want.

Side note, shouldn't he be using a GFCI on something like this?

baja
05-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Easily the 3 best consecutive posts on the Mane in a long time. I am not even sure what happened. Talking about fuses, then the Broncos, then a reply to whom I don't know, and then anger.

Either someone erased some antagonistic replies or the wrong thread!

this would be a good entry on the mock post contest thread.

watermock
05-14-2010, 09:50 AM
He's talking aboubt moving down from 30 to 20.

I would just leave it alone.

20-30?

BFD!

if you want to blow fuses, go 20.

That's all bullshiat from the factory anyway.

next.

watermock
05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Oh,. BTW, hmmm...

watermock
05-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I multi-task with 2 fingers.

baja
05-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I multi-task with 2 fingers.

AmI the only one that cracks up over Mocks unintentional humor?

watermock
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM
your runnin on LED, moi, AC.

OIC, we're gong tohave to do something about this.

baja
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Side note, shouldn't he be using a GFCI on something like this?

That's what I assumed he had when he said there was a built in 2o AMP breaker on the unit's power box/cord.

baja
05-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Mock when are you going to come down and help me catch some marlin.

We can send the pics to Dagmar. ;D

Broncoman13
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Oh man, if you had said this in the first place, you could have just gotten a new power cable (the proper length) and rewired from the electrical panel of your tanning bed to the old style of 220 outlet (if it's in good shape).

What have you done so far, or is this going to be your weekend project?

Weekend project... haven't touched the wiring yet!!!

Popps
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
That's what I assumed he had when he said there was a built in 2o AMP breaker on the unit's power box/cord.

Ah. Got it. Good.

Atwater His Ass
05-14-2010, 04:01 PM

You can easily just buy a NEMA 6-20 male and female fitting, some cable, and make your own cord as long as you need it.

Broncoman13
05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
You can easily just buy a NEMA 6-20 male and female fitting, some cable, and make your own cord as long as you need it.

Found a 10' extension cord that is the NEMA 6-20. Didn't look to see what brand box I had so had to wait on the 20a CB. Will get that tomorrow afternoon I guess. Also found the receptacle, no problemo... I tink.