PDA

View Full Version : Shanny's switch to 3-4 in D.C.

uplink
05-11-2010, 02:52 AM
Is Shanny making a mistake by switching the skins to a 3-4?

I feel he is making a mistake. Seems he is going with his offseason decision to make the switch without adapting to the actual team he took over. They had a top defense last year and have the players for the 4-3. Also the advantages of the 3-4 diminish as more teams switch to it. He should have done this in Denver years ago when there was little talent on the defense, but not with the skins who had a very formitable 4-3 defense last year.

Seems Haynesworth doesn't like the switch as Cutler and company didn't like McDs' offensive changes last year when that unit was already good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176911

TonyR
05-11-2010, 06:31 AM
I don't know enough about their overall personnel to declare it a mistake, but when you have perhaps the best 4-3 DT in the league and he wants to leave because of the switch that's a big issue to overcome. Another issue is Orakpo's switch from DE to LB.

SoDak Bronco
05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
not sure and could care less

The Joker
05-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Ultimately you have to go with the defense you have the most faith in.

It appears that Shanny has decided that the 3-4 is the best style of defense to run, so I can fully understand his wanting to move towards that and not stick with a system he's less enamored with just because his players are better suited to it right now.

I am surprised though that with a guy like Fat Albert on the team that he's not going to try and at least run some sort of hybrid system, for a few years while they make the transition at least.

Man-Goblin
05-11-2010, 07:41 AM
If he thinks that this is the best scheme for the long term, go for it.

It's actually a similar move to what McDaniels did with the Broncos offense when he arrived. The Redskins defense was about the same last year than the '08 Denver offense.

Edit:

Denver '08 scoring offense: 16th
Washington '09 scoring defense: 18th

Kaylore
05-11-2010, 07:42 AM
He's not making a mistake as long as Slowick isn't the coordinator.

Dedhed
05-11-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't know enough about their overall personnel to declare it a mistake, but when you have perhaps the best 4-3 DT in the league and he wants to leave because of the switch that's a big issue to overcome. Another issue is Orakpo's switch from DE to LB.

You don't need to know much about their personnel, outside of Haynesworth, to know that it's a mistake.

Imagine if we had signed the most dominant defender in the league prior to McDaniels arrival, and McD came in and installed a scheme that pretty much ran him out of town.

It would be similar to what McD did with Cutler, but if Cutler were Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, and not the frown cannon INT machine that he is.

barryr
05-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I think it's typical Shanahan. He actually has a very good 4-3 defense in place as it is, better than anything he had with the Broncos his last 5 years or so, but decides he needs to **** with it anyway to show how smart he is.

Mr Chatterboodamn
05-11-2010, 08:02 AM
You don't need to know much about their personnel, outside of Haynesworth, to know that it's a mistake.

Imagine if we had signed the most dominant defender in the league prior to McDaniels arrival, and McD came in and installed a scheme that pretty much ran him out of town.

It would be similar to what McD did with Cutler, but if Cutler were Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, and not the frown cannon INT machine that he is.

"i saw a dead head sticker on a cadillac"

Steve Sewell
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't care about what the Washington Redskins are doing.

Ambiguous
05-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't care about what the Washington Redskins are doing.

Which makes perfect sense because you opened this thread and replied to it.

Steve Sewell
05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Which makes perfect sense because you opened this thread and replied to it.

I open pretty much every thread :afro:

There was no option in the poll for "I don't care"

TheReverend
05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
"i saw a dead head sticker on a cadillac"

Amazing reference to post relevance.

"A little voice Inside my head said, 'Don't look back. You can never look back.'"

baja
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
If you want to know what Shanahan will do next watch what Josh does and wait a month.

jhns
05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
It is just as much of a mistake as Josh moving away from zone blocking and the west coast offense.

Kaylore
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
It is just as much of a mistake as Josh moving away from zone blocking and the west coast offense.

Are you serious? The ZBS hasn't done anything for any team in ten years. The way it's turned into a passing league, the tiny linemen are a huge liability in pass pro. It's not for today's NFL.

HAT
05-11-2010, 09:03 AM

I hope he gets fired soon.....You'd make a much better coach jhns. Cereal.

Cool Breeze
05-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Yes, it is a mistake but he had to do what McD did

bowtown
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM

"A little voice Inside my head said, 'Don't look back. You can never look back.'"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h-vwPuiILBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h-vwPuiILBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tombstone RJ
05-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Is Shanny making a mistake by switching the skins to a 3-4?

I feel he is making a mistake. Seems he is going with his offseason decision to make the switch without adapting to the actual team he took over. They had a top defense last year and have the players for the 4-3. Also the advantages of the 3-4 diminish as more teams switch to it. He should have done this in Denver years ago when there was little talent on the defense, but not with the skins who had a very formitable 4-3 defense last year.

Seems Haynesworth doesn't like the switch as Cutler and company didn't like McDs' offensive changes last year when that unit was already good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176911

Shanahan is making things much more difficult for him and his team by switching to this 3-4. His timing is just bad.

jhns
05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Are you serious? The ZBS hasn't done anything for any team in ten years. The way it's turned into a passing league, the tiny linemen are a huge liability in pass pro. It's not for today's NFL.

It was a sarcastic comment but you are way off. Our undersized o-linemen were great in pass pro last season. It was actually running that was the problem. We have been run over by bigger defenses and in most short yardage situations. Our pass blocking was great the year before McDaniels.

jhns
05-11-2010, 10:21 AM

If only you realized the irony of this statement being in this thread. Glad you got my point.

I also don't get what cereal has to do with this.

bowtown
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Speaking of, I just found a pic of jhns doing some coaching. He made some really good trades and pickups in the offseason (Cutler) and this year his ZBS franchise is going all the way.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/epson-extreme-gamer-20091210-441.jpg

jhns
05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Speaking of, I just found a pic of jhns doing some coaching. He made some really good trades and pickups in the offseason (Cutler) and this year his ZBS franchise is going all the way.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/epson-extreme-gamer-20091210-441.jpg

I also just brought in Jared Mayo and drafted a full new d-line. It will be a good year.

Paladin
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
To the OP: Who da Fug cares?

DarkHorse30
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
not sure and could care less
this. Shanahan doesn't know defense, so why would it matter?. I'm just laughing that Desean Jackson was glad that McNabb left.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-11-2010, 11:55 AM

can we all agree not to quote Don ****ing Henley??

DivineLegion
05-11-2010, 01:04 PM
ZOMG Shanny is tearing apart the second best defense in the NFL last year!!!

Hes alienating Star players and forcing them to demand trades. Its not Haynesworth's fault that all he wants to do is try, and get penetration. Look hes a one trick pony there's no way you can ask a guy this talented to clog the middle in a 3-4, and by golly if he dosent want he shouldn't have to.

...Sound familiar?

TheReverend
05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
ZOMG Shanny is tearing apart the second best defense in the NFL last year!!!

Hes alienating Star players and forcing them to demand trades. Its not Haynesworth's fault that all he wants to do is try, and get penetration. Look hes a one trick pony there's no way you can ask a guy this talented to clog the middle in a 3-4, and by golly if he dosent want he shouldn't have to.

...Sound familiar?

You really had to crowbar and twist reality to try and make that fit, huh?

cabronco
05-11-2010, 02:23 PM
If its not broke, why try and fix it.

Honestly I dont care whats happening w/ the skins, I am a Broncos fan.

jhns
05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Why are people actually questioning this move? They won, what? 3-4 games last year. Nothing on a 3-4 win team is good enough to not be changed. People here try to validate every McDaniels move with something along the lines of "we were 8-8 doing it that way or with that player!" Funny how 8-8 means nothing should be safe but 4-12 means you have a great unit that is dumb to change.

Then there is the "his players fit this other scheme!". My last point went over some of your heads but McDaniels had the players for a west coast offense and a zone blocking scheme. He went away from those. Unless you are saying that is a mistake, you are just being a hater to Shanahan right now.

How about this one for you Shanahan haters. I bet his new team actually wins more games than they did the year before he arrived. That is even with both the offense and defense going through major scheme changes.

The Joker
05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Why are people actually questioning this move? They won, what? 3-4 games last year. Nothing on a 3-4 win team is good enough to not be changed. People here try to validate every McDaniels move with something along the lines of "we were 8-8 doing it that way or with that player!" Funny how 8-8 means nothing should be safe but 4-12 means you have a great unit that is dumb to change.

Then there is the "his players fit this other scheme!". My last point went over some of your heads but McDaniels had the players for a west coast offense and a zone blocking scheme. He went away from those. Unless you are saying that is a mistake, you are just being a hater to Shanahan right now.

How about this one for you Shanahan haters. I bet his new team actually wins more games than they did the year before he arrived. That is even with both the offense and defense going through major scheme changes.

I don't know man, improving on a 4 win season isn't going to be easy.

elsid13
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM

Orakpo played Strong side LB last season. Also London Fletcher,starting LB for the team, point out in Washpost article awhile ago that change would not be that different because most of the line scheme for last season was very similar to a 3/4 fronts. Haynesworth was bitching last season because he was asked to anchor the line, like a NT would, vs going after the QB.

The skins also brought in Kemoeatu (345 pounder) to play the NT position and will most likely rotate Haynesworth between the end and NT spot. The rest of the LB/DE really fit in a 3/4 defense

cutthemdown
05-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Funny because skins defense was really good. I can see changing offense no matter what because he is offensive guy. But why change a defense? Just hire a 4-3 guru and go with it. Pisses off Haynesworth and now defense may slip.

elsid13
05-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Funny because skins defense was really good. I can see changing offense no matter what because he is offensive guy. But why change a defense? Just hire a 4-3 guru and go with it. Pisses off Haynesworth and now defense may slip.

Jim Haslett the DC is experienced in playing both system. Beside the fact that Redskins defense was vastly overrated. They looked good against some really poor offense teams but failed against the good offenses.

FireFly
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM

QFT

I've thought this for the last few years shanny was here as well.

The change was one of the best McDaniels made!

UberBroncoMan
05-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I say it's a big mistake. He finally has a team where they are properly setup for a 4-3! Now he's trying to copy the Steelers, etc.

You have Albert as a DT, and Orakpo for DE and you want to switch it all up... seems silly.

Dedhed
05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
It is just as much of a mistake as Josh moving away from zone blocking.

LOLROFL!LOLROFL!LOLROFL!
:wave:

DivineLegion
05-11-2010, 08:19 PM
You really had to crowbar and twist reality to try and make that fit, huh?

I would like to first thank the Acadamy....

uplink
05-12-2010, 01:29 AM
looks like you'd want to taylor your defense around guys with a pre-game face like this (skins-falcons game 2009).

TheReverend
05-12-2010, 06:33 AM
For the contract he got, Haynesworth should do anything they ask him to with the biggest smile anyone's ever seen.