PDA

View Full Version : Comcast or Direct TV... or Dish network!

Dagmar
05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
So I successfully found a place in Denver, close to Lowry just north of Cherry Creek, moving in on Friday and am pretty pumped.

I've always had comcast, never really had any issues with it but since I am starting fresh I was wondering what people on here recommend?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rMkH2PSwQUo/S5mYHcQD4UI/AAAAAAAADpw/ZymnYWx2I0c/s400/Direct+TV+1.jpg

VS

http://media.mlive.com/businessreview/western_impact/photo/comcastjpg-4dc5c829f50565d3_large.jpg

now vs

http://keys4.ifrance.com/up-sat/index_fichiers/dish_network-thumb.jpg

I am so pumped about being a 15 minute drive to Invesco...

I just found out UHauls are about $400! Balls...

ColoradoDarin
05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
You're going to get the games locally (lucky bastard).... Go with DISH. I've had Comcast, DISH and now DirecTV only because I'm 2,000 miles from Mile High and thus Sunday Ticket. But if I had to choose and wasn't forced into DTV, I'd go with DISH.

Oh and if you are going with DirecTV... PM me and I'll give you a referral for $10 off per month for 10 months :afro:

Irish Stout
05-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Dish for pure price on programming.

Directv for best operating menu and functionality.

Comcast if you're doing a bundle that makes it cheap and then you have no contract.

Beantown Bronco
05-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Before anyone recommends, or pulls the trigger, on dish network....you might want to take a gander at this:

(from today's boston globe)

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2010/05/10/dish_ready_to_shut_down_dvrs_if_it_loses_lawsuit/

ColoradoDarin
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Before anyone recommends, or pulls the trigger, on dish network....you might want to take a gander at this:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2010/05/10/dish_ready_to_shut_down_dvrs_if_it_loses_lawsuit/

Wow, I didn't know that. I can't watch regular TV.

LRtagger
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Just say no to DishNetwork.

Mountain Bronco
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I bet they work something out otherwise Dish will be hosed.

Dukes
05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I've got Direct and love it. Never going back to Comcast. Screw them.

bfoflcommish
05-10-2010, 03:13 PM

how come tivo went after dish but not directv and thier dvr?

SoDak Bronco
05-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Do you want NFL Sunday Ticket? If so, the choice is easy.

Quoydogs
05-10-2010, 03:25 PM

This right here is the reason I would choose anyone over DTV. They have a monopoly on NFL ticket. I always thought they were illegal in America. This is the reason I pay every year 400 dollars to watch my Broncos play. So if I got the games for free I would pick anyone else.

I will say I like the Chanel selection and over all no real compliant against them. It just pisses me off that the force me to go to them if I want Ticket.

Dendave
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
how come tivo went after dish but not directv and thier dvr?

Dish's DVR boxes that infringe TiVo's patent. A federal judge would have to decide whether redesigned software for Dish's DVRs still infringe on TiVo's patents.

I assume that means Direct TV came up with their own version, Dish used TiVo's

Dagmar
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Living in Denver with NFL Redzone channel I don't need it to be honest.

bfoflcommish
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Dish's DVR boxes that infringe TiVo's patent. A federal judge would have to decide whether redesigned software for Dish's DVRs still infringe on TiVo's patents.

ahh, see article really just says they used tivos pause and rewind live tv, and I'm thinking to myself well yeah directv's does too. so it's more of a how it does it rather then just simply that it does do it.

bronclvr
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I have Direct TV and love it-more basic channels (including NFL Network), great reception. I have TiVo, and don't know how I enjoyed TV without it-

mkporter
05-10-2010, 03:49 PM
ahh, see article really just says they used tivos pause and rewind live tv, and I'm thinking to myself well yeah directv's does too. so it's more of a how it does it rather then just simply that it does do it.

Tivo still partners with DirecTV, so that is probably one of the main reasons they didn't go after them. There is speculation that Tivo will be able to start going after other DVR makers now as well.

ghwk
05-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I think Dish's DVR is the best. I hated Comcasts with a passion. WHat I think is hurting all of these companies is the pricing of packages, NetFlix, AT&T, the economy and the number of crap channels forced on them by the programmers that peoplke don't want to pay for. The worst thing that happens if you go to DISH is it doesn't work out and you switch. They are the cheapest right now and that isn't saying much.

DenverBrit
05-10-2010, 04:13 PM
I live nearby and use Direct TV. I have nothing but good to say about their selection and service.

Congratulations on finding a nice new home. You'll love it there.

ghwk
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Tivo still partners with DirecTV, so that is probably one of the main reasons they didn't go after them. There is speculation that Tivo will be able to start going after other DVR makers now as well.

DISH Network is the only Satellite provider that makes their own DVR and it is proprietary so Tivo has never had access to Dish customers.

DTV does not make any DVR type equipment that I am aware of. Sony, Tivo etc all make receivers that can handle DTV programming, that is why Tivo went after DISH. It's where the money is with an embedded base of customers. I don't know if the other DTV receiver makers have a product like Tivo's so it may be pointless to sue the other manufacturers.

Comcast has Scientific Atlanta (SA) receivers that have similar capabilites as Tivo so they may be next or the perhaps the way they implmented the technology may make them different enough so they can't be sued. I will say that their recivers SUCK. If you have ever used the DISH receiver it is a really well implemented piece of equipment while SA's are the worst pieces of crap I have ever used. Dumped them a month after signing on I hated them so much.

Kaylore
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
So until recently (two weeks ago) I worked for Dish Network and have had all three services. Here's the pros and cons of both.

Comcast

Pros: Usually always have service. Not many weather outages that you get with satellite services. DVR functionality is relatively seamless. Extremely large on demand library - many are completely free. If you call and whine they will pretty quickly agree to lower your bill. No contracts.

Cons: Expensive. Month to month, they are the most expensive service, period. They do a lot of stealth raises where they slowly raise your monthly bill. Customer service is the worst (not even open 24/7). Returning equipment is a pain. Fewest HD channels. Their guide and menu system is annoying too. HD is listed in the 900's and the non-hd is listed normal. Noe easy to sort. Remote is stupid.

Direct TV

Pros: Cheaper than Comcast. More HD than Comcast. Premiere sports PPV like NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings available. DVR is pretty slick. Allows to mark certain points along a recording to quickly jump to (highlights from games, for example). Competitive pricing under contract. Highest rated customer service. No repair charges. Possible they will buy out your contract to transfer you over.

Cons: Still more expensive than Dish. Month to month you will pay more with Direct than Dish. The cost of repairs is rolled into your monthly fees so everyone pays for everyone's repairs whether they need them or not. Snow and weather issues can interrupt service. Not as much HD channels as Dish. Also does the stealth price increases. Contracts are expensive if broken. Back end of contracts are bloated so they make back more than what you saved in the early part of the contract.

Dish Network

Pros: The cheapest. They have lower overhead and so are the lowest priced service. Have duo tuner boxes where you can have two TV's share one box. This reduces monthly equipment fees to connect multiple TV's. DVR has the highest amount of recorded hours of any of the three services. Most HD channels (more than Direct and Comcast). Guide and remote are user friendly (have a skip forward and skip backward button). Only company to broadcast (very limited amount) of 1080P programming. Very user friendly - you can sort your guide to only show subscribed channels to save browsing time and HD channels are listed right next to their SD counterparts on the guide.

Cons: You have to pay for repairs even if it's not your fault and even if you pay for the warranty. Without a warranty tech visits are $95. With the warranty (an extra $6 a month) they are $15. Even with the warranty you'll pay less per month than the other two (they factor in the repairs in your cost anyway), but it's still expensive even if it's not your fault the equipment broke. None of the premium sports PPV packages are available.

I personally like Dish Network, Direct TV and Comcast in that order. If Direct was cheaper they would be my number one. I like the Dish equipment best.

Side note: Dish Network is based out of Colorado and a smaller company, so they spend less on advertising than the other two who can afford big name stars. Dish recently lost a lawsuit from Tivo concerning their DVR so their may be some movement on that end. It won't affect customers, just money.

DenverBrit
05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
DISH Network is the only Satellite provider that makes their own DVR and it is proprietary so Tivo has never had access to Dish customers.

DTV does not make any DVR type equipment that I am aware of. Sony, Tivo etc all make receivers that can handle DTV programming, that is why Tivo went after DISH. It's where the money is with an embedded base of customers. I don't know if the other DTV receiver makers have a product like Tivo's so it may be pointless to sue the other manufacturers.

Comcast has Scientific Atlanta (SA) receivers that have similar capabilites as Tivo so they may be next or the perhaps the way they implmented the technology may make them different enough so they can't be sued. I will say that their recivers SUCK. If you have ever used the DISH receiver it is a really well implemented piece of equipment while SA's are the worst pieces of crap I have ever used. Dumped them a month after signing on I hated them so much.

DTV's HD DVRs are excellent and silent.....at last.

ghwk
05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
AT&T's U-verse is also taking a bite out of all 3's customer base.

Kaylore
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM

I agree except there are a few receivers that are complete garbage by Dish. The 622 is garbage. The hard drives are constantly going out and it's just bad. The 211's suck too. I have a 722k, and it is indeed pretty awesome. The new sling-loaded 922 only connects one TV and even though the second connection is for computer and/or mobile devices, they could have modified it to still connect two TV's and just have the second TV mirror the computer.

DHallblows
05-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Pros: The cheapest. They have lower overhead and so are the lowest priced service. Have duo tuner boxes where you can have two TV's share one box. This reduces monthly equipment fees to connect multiple TV's. DVR has the highest amount of recorded hours of any of the three services. Most HD channels (more than Direct and Comcast). Guide and remote are user friendly (have a skip forward and skip backward button). Only company to broadcast (very limited amount) of 1080P programming. Very user friendly - you can sort your guide to only show subscribed channels to save browsing time and HD channels are listed right next to their SD counterparts on the guide.

I didn't know they did that. What channel numbers?

mkporter
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Comcast is rolling out a service where they download the Tivo OS onto existing hardware in the field. I know that this roll out has been slow, but it probably keeps Tivo from suing them as well. May not protect SA though.

Archer81
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I've had DirecTV, Bresnan Cable, and Dish...I liked Dish the least. I currently have Bresnan but considering a switch back to DirecTV.

:Broncos:

ghwk
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I've had DirecTV, Bresnan Cable, and Dish...I liked Dish the least. I currently have Bresnan but considering a switch back to DirecTV.

Why did you like Dish the least?

Archer81
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Why did you like Dish the least?

The way their menu is configured and their customer service. Lots of outages but both the dish itself and the box were older (roomie had been with Dish when he lived in Wetmore...he kept the service and the crappy old box until I bought an HDTV). And for some dumb ****ing reason he did not always get local tv...so I missed some Broncos games in 2008. But we always had Vs...cant miss bull**** hockey and its 82 ****ing games.

Kaylore
05-10-2010, 05:48 PM
The way their menu is configured and their customer service. Lots of outages but both the dish itself and the box were older (roomie had been with Dish when he lived in Wetmore...he kept the service and the crappy old box until I bought an HDTV). And for some dumb ****ing reason he did not always get local tv...so I missed some Broncos games in 2008. But we always had Vs...cant miss bull**** hockey and its 82 ****ing games.

Sounds like this is more an issue with the equipment and his programming package.

Archer81
05-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Sounds like this is more an issue with the equipment and his programming package.

It was. He is a hockey fan, so not watching the Broncos did not bug him as much as it pissed me off. "Its ok man, we can watch the Avs..."...yay. Go team...wtf.

Kaylore
05-10-2010, 06:20 PM
It was. He is a hockey fan, so not watching the Broncos did not bug him as much as it pissed me off. "Its ok man, we can watch the Avs..."...yay. Go team...wtf.

What's funny is you could have had your locals. If you have an antenna, Dish boxes allow you to run the coax off an over-the-air antenna and it will automatically add the locals. It doubles as a digital converter for your locals if you don't want to pay for them from dish and get them old school. You could have had locals that whole time.

Archer81
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
What's funny is you could have had your locals. If you have an antenna, Dish boxes allow you to run the coax off an over-the-air antenna and it will automatically add the locals. It doubles as a digital converter for your locals if you don't want to pay for them from dish and get them old school. You could have had locals that whole time.

I only missed two games because of the local tv issue. We got the HDTV, he needed a new box for high definition and a new dish, so the dish guy hooked it up...but those two weeks were miserable.

RhymesayersDU
05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I love DirecTV.

Dukes
05-10-2010, 07:16 PM
I think you'll be fine with either Direct or Dish. Just forget Comcast.

Dagmar
05-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I think you'll be fine with either Direct or Dish. Just forget Comcast.

Any particular reason? Honestly, I know they are known for horrible customer service but I have not had an issue in 3 years. Well, the dog ate 2 remotes, but the just replaced them for free.

IHaveALight
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Do you still have to have a phone line for DVR with DT and DISH?
That was one of the main reasons I went with Comcast. Plus Comcast internet is blazing fast. To keep Comcast internet and go with DISH would cost more then what I pay now.

maher_tyler
So until recently (two weeks ago) I worked for Dish Network and have had all three services. Here's the pros and cons of both.

Comcast

Pros: Usually always have service. Not many weather outages that you get with satellite services. DVR functionality is relatively seamless. Extremely large on demand library - many are completely free. If you call and whine they will pretty quickly agree to lower your bill. No contracts.

Cons: Expensive. Month to month, they are the most expensive service, period. They do a lot of stealth raises where they slowly raise your monthly bill. Customer service is the worst (not even open 24/7). Returning equipment is a pain. Fewest HD channels. Their guide and menu system is annoying too. HD is listed in the 900's and the non-hd is listed normal. Noe easy to sort. Remote is stupid.

Direct TV

Pros: Cheaper than Comcast. More HD than Comcast. Premiere sports PPV like NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings available. DVR is pretty slick. Allows to mark certain points along a recording to quickly jump to (highlights from games, for example). Competitive pricing under contract. Highest rated customer service. No repair charges. Possible they will buy out your contract to transfer you over.

Cons: Still more expensive than Dish. Month to month you will pay more with Direct than Dish. The cost of repairs is rolled into your monthly fees so everyone pays for everyone's repairs whether they need them or not. Snow and weather issues can interrupt service. Not as much HD channels as Dish. Also does the stealth price increases. Contracts are expensive if broken. Back end of contracts are bloated so they make back more than what you saved in the early part of the contract.

Dish Network

Cons: You have to pay for repairs even if it's not your fault and even if you pay for the warranty. Without a warranty tech visits are $95. With the warranty (an extra $6 a month) they are $15. Even with the warranty you'll pay less per month than the other two (they factor in the repairs in your cost anyway), but it's still expensive even if it's not your fault the equipment broke. None of the premium sports PPV packages are available.

I personally like Dish Network, Direct TV and Comcast in that order. If Direct was cheaper they would be my number one. I like the Dish equipment best.

Side note: Dish Network is based out of Colorado and a smaller company, so they spend less on advertising than the other two who can afford big name stars. Dish recently lost a lawsuit from Tivo concerning their DVR so their may be some movement on that end. It won't affect customers, just money.

I have DTV and my buddy has Dish. To many buttons on a Dish remote..the DTV remote is a lot more simple imo. I do like how Dish has there menu with the HD channels set up right next to the non-HD channels and how the show which channels you aren't subscribed to. Dish may have more HD channels but all the channels i give a **** about are HD on DTV. Prolly the biggest reason i went with DTV was because of NFL Sunday Ticket!!

Edit: Before i got DTV, i was talking to a Dish rep and they were trying to tell me that Redzone was like Sunday Ticket and that i would still get to see all the games. I knew what Redzone was so i knew he was stretching the truth!

gunns

Comcast

Direct TV

Dish Network

I have Comcast and I don't know where you live, and that may be something someone needs to take into consideration, but here their customer service is 24/7 and the large part of problems can be fixed over the phone. I have two kids that have had DT and Dish and both went to Comcast. Had problems with DT customer service and Dish has a lot of outage and mysterious bill changes. I've found with Comcast what you say about complaining about the bill to be very true. I've been a customer for years and complained that their bundles were only offered to new customers. They immediately lowered my bill, plus I got the phone service, which is excellent and lowered my bill by $60, plus losing my existing phone service, another $45. And my HD is not in the 900's, that's music. I think the best thing is check with people in your area.

Dukes
05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Any particular reason? Honestly, I know they are known for horrible customer service but I have not had an issue in 3 years. Well, the dog ate 2 remotes, but the just replaced them for free.

Kaylor covered it pretty well. But the two biggest issues I had was trying to turn in equipment is a nightmare. Think DMV. And they would quietly raise my price month after month after month. After having Direct for over a year I'd never go back. I'm a sucker for HD and IMO you can't even compare Comcast HD and Direct. I have atleast 5 awesome channels in HD that my brother (comcast) doesn't even get in regular, let alone HD. Unless of coarse you want to upgrade your service. My parents have Dish and they like it. So like I said, either way I think you'll be happy with Dish or Direct.

watermock
05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Cable sucks.

They tried charching me 183/mo, then I got majick jack, so my puter had to be on 24/7.

then the chargred me 158 and I cried as a cripple, now I get 134 for just expanded cable and internet. 1 year special again.

Ripoff!

watermock
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
134 a special deal when they came and tried to charge me 25 for taking out my modem.

I'm disabled and it is very difficult to construct what I have.

I had do do it myself, despite pleading for help.

158 a month for 1 cable line!

no phone.

What a scam!

ghwk
05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Cable sucks.

They tried charching me 183/mo, then I got majick jack, so my puter had to be on 24/7.

then the chargred me 158 and I cried as a cripple, now I get 134 for just expanded cable and internet. 1 year special again.

Ripoff!

What did you do, type that with your face?

Broncofan_H
05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Dish recently lost a lawsuit from Tivo concerning their DVR so their may be some movement on that end. It won't affect customers, just money.

I have also heard that customers aren't going to just "lose" their DVRs. What I've heard from industry websites is the newer DVRs are already to accept the necessary changes to fall outside of the TIVO lawsuit and the customers who have the older receivers will be upgraded.

As for us, we just moved from Boulder County to Weld County in Feb. and went with DISH. I looked at staying with DirecTV, going to Comcast or DISH. When I added the programming packages, equipment costs (upgrading to 1 HD DVR and keep 1 SD DVR), and startup costs DISH was less at first and per month. Being in Colorado, NFL Sunday ticket doesn't matter to me since I get all the Broncos games anyway. I should add that my bill will be going up in a year, but it will still be the same as Direct, and MUCH lower than Comcast. Comcast is a complete joke if you want HD and DVR service on 2 TVs).

As a side note, Kaylore, I also worked at EchoStar from 1999-2007 at the Cheyenne Uplink Center. Good times, until the health insurance and low salary structure basically pushed me out.

Blueflame
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Your dog goes after remotes... my pup goes after cell phones. He's destroyed 3 EnV3's... and unfortunately Verizon won't replace them for free.

Re: the dish/directv/cable question... we've had both Dish Network and Directv... Dish Network lost us as customers due to abysmal customer service and we've been with Directv for a long time. Plus... with Directv, you get the NFL Network.

Broncofan_H
05-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Re: the dish/directv/cable question... we've had both Dish Network and Directv... Dish Network lost us as customers due to abysmal customer service and we've been with Directv for a long time. Plus... with Directv, you get the NFL Network.

I have DISH's mid-level package and I get NFL Network as well.

???

Boobs McGee
07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Question...My buddy and I are moving in a couple weeks, and I think it's time to switch services. currently have comcast, and for the three of us (it's me and two brothers, one brother's moving out with his gf), its something like $200 + a month. We have a **** ton of channels, one HD reciever/dvr, and three boxes...plus high speed internet.

Moving into the new place, all we're gonna need is one hd/dvr box, and I think in our rooms we're just gonna go boxless. My MAIN concern is the internet...right now, the high speed we have through comcast is great for surfing the net and gaming, but I know nothing about Dish or Directv's internet services. Anyone know if they're comparable?

After re-reading the thread, I'm probly going to go with Dish, but help with the internet would be great.

Oh, and p.s., khan, when I go to order from them, do I need to specify which box I want? Like, ask specifically for that 722k or whatever?

Sassy
07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Love my DTV...has my games and local...only thing I don't like is the price...expensive!

broncosteven
07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
AT&T's U-verse is also taking a bite out of all 3's customer base.

Since you live local and likely don't need the Sunday ticket to get the Bronco games I would go U-verse and get a TV/ Data package. It is cheaper and the internet speeds are very fast for the price.

I only have the U-220 package but it serves/exceeds my viewing needs. I don't pay for video's I get all the DVD's from my local library and save a bunch on rentals/payperview. I thought about netflicks but I haven't had trouble getting a DVD from the library so there is no need.

DenverBroncosJM
07-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Whatever you do I wouldn't do the combo service.

What I mean by that is you get Dish TV and the ATT phone service all on one bill etc.

I had Dish and I think they partnered up with Verizon? Anyway basically what happens is ATT bills dish and then dish put its on you bill for the combo. Now what happens if dish has a glitch in their payment system back to ATT? yup collection calls to YOU it took months to get it straightened out.

I have DTV and Verizon phone service every time I talk to one or the other they always want to package it and save me so much money. Ill save the money and keep them separate and save my sanity.

Kaylore
07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Oh, and p.s., khan, when I go to order from them, do I need to specify which box I want? Like, ask specifically for that 722k or whatever?

The 722k is standard for any HD DVR box that either connects two tv's or you want to be able to record on one station and view another at the same TV at the same time. So just mention that's what you want. Make sure you're ordering from Dish (800-333-DISH) and not some third party installer that says they're Dish who will cornhole you for 20-50 bucks for an install that through Dish is completely free. They also have the new 922 out if you're into slingbox. It's pretty nice if you use that, but if not, it's excessive and 722k is the way to go. :haw!:

Bronco Yoda
07-16-2010, 04:22 PM

They do? I was told they don't and that is why my new DVR doesn't have Tivo. I still have the old 'Tivo' DVR I own and still like it better than what Direct DVR's are now. I record on both and the old Tivo kicks over the new Tivo-less DVR's Dircect gave me last time I upgraded my service.

ScottXray
07-16-2010, 05:12 PM

Pretty much right...however the NEWER receivers that Dish has will not be affected by the court order....it mainly is for older receivers that used a different
tech and interface. anyone who has started subscription in the last two years is not going to lose their DVR service. And as mentioned, dish will swap out their older receivers if they Finally lose the last appeal. (this has been going on since 2004)