PDA

View Full Version : OT: Horse shyt and gun powder! (Red Dead Redemption)

Pages : [1] 2

MileHighMagic
05-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I am so stoked for this bad boy to finally release! I am a big fan of Westerns and the GTA series. Judging by the early reviews and the videos, the Rockstar team should not disappoint.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MEMxSUGZ6TU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MEMxSUGZ6TU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jgPSYtTFCI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jgPSYtTFCI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GC9To8rBCGA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GC9To8rBCGA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W0G5v4RcbUs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W0G5v4RcbUs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption is a sandbox-style action-adventure western video game developed by Rockstar San Diego, due for release on May 18, 2010 in North America and on May 21, 2010 in Europe and Australia for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Red Dead Redemption is a Western Action-Adventure game developed by Rockstar San Diego, the spiritual successor to Red Dead Revolver. It is due to be released for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on May 18 (North America) and May 21 (Europe).

Red Dead Redemption uses Rockstar's Rage physics engine, along with Natural Motions Euphoria character animation software.

Story

John Marston is a reformed outlaw in America in the early 1900s. When federal agents threaten his family, Marston is sent across the American frontier to help bring the rule of law. He must kill or capture his former gang members, including his old 'friend' and gang leader Bill Williamson or his family will pay the ultimate price.

Along the way through frontier towns, deserts, prairies, and mountain passes; Marston is given work as he explores the free-roaming sandbox environments. The game features over 40 different types of animals that can be hunted including cattle, bears, rattlesnakes, wolves, vultures, cougars, bighorn sheep and others.

Animals
Groups of animals hunting you in free roam.There are approximately 40 different animals that can be encountered in Red Dead Redemption, and any of the listed animals can be hunted. Different animals supply the player with different pelts, claws, meat and other resources with different values, which can be sold. Beware, killing some animals may not please their owners, or the townsfolk for that matter. One can assume that killing someone's horse probably won't be any better than stealing it, and may hold the same results.

The 40 animals all interact throughout the wild in a carefully crafted ecosystem. For instance, the player could be traversing the plains and see a herd of buffalo grazing, or while travelling through a forest, one may encounter a pack of wolves hunting an elk.

At this time, the known animals are:

-Armadillos
-Alligators
-Bats - Bat Wings
-Beavers - Beaver Meat, Beaver Fur
-Bighorn Sheep - Bighorn Meat, Bighorn Horns, Bighorn Skin
-Bison
-Birds
-Boars
-Bulls
-Chickens
-Cougars
-Coyotes
-Cats
-Cattle
-Deer
-Dogs
-Donkeys
-Ducks
-Elk
-Goats
-Grizzly Bears - Bear Furs, Bear Claws, Bear Meat, Bear Teeth
-Horses
-Moose
-Mules
-Pigs
-Rabbits - Rabbit's Foot
-Rattlesnakes
-Skunks
-Vultures
-Wolves

Hunting

Hunting plays a very prominent role in Red Dead Redemption. The player can hunt all featured animals for sport and money, but hunting may also be necessary for survival; many of the animals found in the world can easily kill the player. The hunting element of the game involves stalking, advancing upon the targeted animal, and finally making the kill. Animal bait can also be bought from merchants to attract various animal species.

Skinning allows the Player to make a profit from hunting. Skinning an animal allows the player to acquire materials from the animal, which include furs, pelts, meat and horns. These resources can then be sold or traded to merchants. When the player skins an animal, Marston can be seen crouching in front of the animal, he will then take out his knife and begin to skin the animal. Blood splats on the screen, confirming a successful skinning.

Animals are randomly generated in the wilderness, and can sometimes assault the player, his allies and the player's horse, requiring intervention. Marston will sometimes encounter scenarios where a Stranger will request protection from pursuing predatory animals.

After a kill, vultures will appear, opening up the sharpshooting challenge. Completing this and other challenges will earn you fame, and can unlock outfits for John.

Additionally, hunting enough specimens of various species will earn the player achievements or trophies.

Weapons

Weapons come in a large variety in Red Dead Redemption. They are essential to survival and are an integral part of everyday life in the American west. The player will be able to use a range of weapons including outdated manually-operated weapons and cutting edge fully automatics.

To an extent, weapons and ammunition are represented on the character model.

In Multiplayer game modes it is also possible by completing a set of weapon challenges to unlock a golden version of various firearms.

Firearms

Handguns

-Borchardt Pistol German Semi-Automatic Pistol
-Cattleman Revolver Colt Single Action Army
-Colt Model 1903/1908 American Semi-Automatic Pistol
-Colt Police Positive American Magnum Revolver
-LeMat Revolver Civil War-Era Revolver
-Mauser Pistol German Mauser C96 - Automatic Pistol
-Schofield Revolver Smith & Wesson Schofield No. 3 Revolver
-Volcanic Pistol Pre-Civil War Lever-Action Pistol
-Luger Pistol German Luger P08 Semi-Automatic pistol
-Colt M1911
- American Army Semi-Automatic Pistol
-Colt Dragoon A very old but very powerful cap and ball pistol

Rifles

-Buffalo Rifle Sharps 1874 Long Range
-Evans Repeating Rifle Evans Repeating Rifle
-Repeater Carbine Spencer Model 1860 Carbine
-Henry Repeater 1860 Henry Rifle
-Carcano Rifle Carcano M1891 Rifle
-Winchester Repeater Model 1873 Winchester Repeater Model 1873
-Winchester 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine Winchester 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine
-Winchester Model 1886 More powerful than the 1873 and 1892
-Winchester Model 1895 Internal 5-round box magazine-fed lever-actionrifle
-Winchester 1907 .351-caliber semi-automatic rifle
-Remington No.1 Remington No.1 Rolling Block Sporting Rifle
-Springfield Cavalry Carbine 1873 Trapdoor Springfield Cavalry Carbine
-Krag-Jørgensen Krag-Jørgensen/Springfield Model 1892-99
-M1903 Springfield M1903 Springfield

Shotguns
-Browning Auto 5 Browning Auto 5
-Sawed Off Shotgun Sawed Off Shotgun
-12 Side by Side Shotgun Side by Side Shotgun
-Winchester Model 1901 10-gauge lever-action shotgun
-Winchester Model 1897 12-gauge pump-action shotgun
-Over and Under Shotgun Over and Under Shotgun

Thrown Weapons
In addition to firearms, the player can obtain various thrown weapons:
-Throwing Knives
-Tomahawk
-Dynamite
-Fire bottles

Mounted Weapons
These weapons are stationary and cannot be directly moved by the player from the location of deployment:
-Gatling Gun
-Maxim Gun
-Cannon
-Colt-Browning M1895 machine gun

Additional Weapons and Equipment

Other than the above, there are many other weapons the player may use. These include:
-Lasso
-Bowie Knife
-Binoculars

Transport

Players can utilize several modes of transport in order to move John Marston around the game world.

Available modes of transportation include:

Horses - Marston can buy horses from sellers or try and tame one from the wild. There are fast horses or stronger horses to choose from. The horse's vitality is displayed on screen.

Trains - A fee allows the player to quickly travel over long distances.

Stagecoaches - Stagecoaches are large enclosed carts, primarily used to transport people or valuable goods and are drawn by 2 or 4 horses. The player can drive the stagecoach, similar to the use of horses. Additionally, they can be hired for transportation and given the option of sleeping, allowing the player to skip the ride and arrive at his destination instantly.

Carts - Carts are drawn by either one or two horses, and are typically used to carry goods and equipment rather than people.

Wagons - Wagons are drawn by either two or four horses, and carry goods and people. Wagons come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Rafts - Rafts are rudimentary floating platforms, capable of navigating waterways. Rafts are a central component of at least one gameplay mission.

Steamboat - Large river-going ships that carry passengers, supplies and goods. Unconfirmed if the player can utilize these vessels in any way.

Automobile - Automobiles were extremely rare, but pervaded the west, challenging the ubiquity of the horse.

Locations

Locations in Redemption represent the gameplay world and consist of three primary territories, each split into a varying number of constituent regions.

Within each of these regions, there are settlements, outlaw hideouts, major geographical features, ore mines, bridges, rivers, lakes, camps, outposts, railroads and much more.

The San Luis River runs between New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso; which then appears to empty into the Sea of Coronado. There are also lakes scattered throughout the frontier like Lake Don Julio, which is located in the southern portion of Cholla Springs.

New Austin
The New Austin territory consists of 4 regions: Cholla Springs, Rio Bravo, Gaptooth Ridge, and Hennigan's Stead.

Nuevo Paraiso
The Nuevo Paraiso territory consists of three regions: Punta Orgullo, Perdido, and Diez Coronas.

West Elizabeth
Little is known about West Elizabeth at this time.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer in Red Dead Redemption consists of multiple game modes, and allows players to play cooperatively or competitively through an online connection.

The multiplayer does not have a game lobby and instead starts out in out in Free Roam mode. From there, players can establish gangs with other players, or choose to participate in various game modes via an ingame menu or various entry points around the game world.

In competitive game modes gameplay begins with either a mexican stand-off in FFA, with all the players beginning in a circle, or a team face-off, with all players in their respective team's line facing the other team. There will be a short countdown, then a firefight will commence, allowing the remaining players to find a choice location (such as a sniping spot) to fend off their attackers.

Game Modes

Red Dead Redemptions multiplayer menu. Currently, these are the confirmed game modes:

Free Roam: The starting point of all game modes, places the players in the world of Red Dead Redemption without established objectives.

Gold Rush: A free-for-all game involving the collection of bags of gold.
Shoot Out: Deathmatch and team deathmatch.

Hold Your Own: Capture the flag.

Grab the Bag: A single flag version of Capture the Flag.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Dead_Wiki

Killericon
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Other than D3 and Starcraft 2, I've never been looking forward to a game more than I am this one.

Archer81
05-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Holy...

I now have a new game for summer. I am also getting a 55 inch vizio when i get my tax return...if any of you need me, I will be locked away in my man cave...

:Broncos:

Rabb
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
yeah I cannot wait for this next week

Los Broncos
05-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I like the free roam same as GTA, cant wait to play this bad boy.

Archer81
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
This game looks like it takes place where I live...its ****ing insane and looks gorgeous. Holy smack...I had no idea this game was even coming out.

Where the hell have I been?

Los Broncos
05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I also cant wait for the new COD game, looks to be sick.

Archer81
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM

This game and Fallout: New Vegas are two I am suddenly wanting right now. They are also making a Batman:Arkham Asylum sequel that looks pretty sweet, too.

Los Broncos
05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
This game and Fallout: New Vegas are two I am suddenly wanting right now. They are also making a Batman:Arkham Asylum sequel that looks pretty sweet, too.

That new Vegas look sick too, I also want to try the new Medal of Honor.

Doggcow
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Holy...

I now have a new game for summer. I am also getting a 55 inch vizio when i get my tax return...if any of you need me, I will be locked away in my man cave...

Dont get a vizio :(

Los Broncos
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM

I was going to say the same, get a Sharp, best TV out there.

Doggcow
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Why not save $60 and just play COD MW2?

They just rehash the same **** every few years...

Los Broncos
05-10-2010, 12:57 PM

I am playing MW2 sir, I'm hooked on it!

But I really am looking forward to Future Solider, that games looks insane.

Archer81
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Recommendations?

Los Broncos
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Recommendations?

Sharp

Doggcow
05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
I am playing MW2 sir, I'm hooked on it!

But I really am looking forward to Future Solider, that games looks insane.

Cutting edge guns, glowy and looks like it's made from plexi-glass, and it shoots a 3 round laser burst and is totally Overpowered. Where have we seen that before.

Vegas_Bronco
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I was just reading about this with my son in Game Informer....game of the year easily.

I'll wait till all you tell me whether to game it or not. I'll be waiting to hear unsolicited reviews - keep me posted.

24champ
05-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I played Red Dead Revolver way back then, obviously Red Dead Redemption is miles ahead in gameplay than Revolver. I liked the Revolver game, I always wanted to play Clint Eastwood in a game, which is EXACTLY what the developers molded their character after.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/ClintEastwood.JPG

MileHighMagic
05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
GUN always got made fun of but I liked that one. Maybe it's just the Western fan in me but I enjoyed it. I guess if I liked that, RDR will knock my socks off.

UberBroncoMan
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
This year is quite literally the greatest year for game releases in video game HISTORY.

Not only do you have stuff like Mass Effect 2, this, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3: New Vegas, Starcraft 2, among tons of other top notch quality games.

Hell, even Nintendo is putting out a new Mario and Metroid game.

It's insane across the board.

In terms of overall quality of releases in a year, 2010 is seriously the best in video game history. I've not had to spend much money on games for awhile and this year is going to be brutal for me.

ghwk
05-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Anyone know if this is going to be on PC?

Los Broncos
05-10-2010, 03:23 PM

Looks to be in the works....

http://www.softsailor.com/news/20406-red-dead-redemption-pc-version-confirmed.html

gtown
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Rockstar still has it! I don't have enough time to play the awesome games out now, even owning one system.

Broncosfreak_56
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
This year is quite literally the greatest year for game releases in video game HISTORY.

Not only do you have stuff like Mass Effect 2, this, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3: New Vegas, Starcraft 2, among tons of other top notch quality games.

In terms of overall quality of releases in a year, 2010 is seriously the best in video game history. I've not had to spend much money on games for awhile and this year is going to be brutal for me.

And Bioshock 2!

UberBroncoMan
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM

ATM no.

But this is Rockstar so I'd expect the PC version around Christmas time. They just want to maximize console sales first.

24champ
05-10-2010, 04:49 PM
ATM no.

But this is Rockstar so I'd expect the PC version around Christmas time. They just want to maximize console sales first.

Just curious do you have a PS3 or Xbox?

Goobzilla
05-10-2010, 05:38 PM
$20 Gift Card for preordering it at Amazon, plus release day delivery!

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1273534665&sr=1-1

RhymesayersDU
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Holy hell... I hadn't heard anything about this game, but I love GTA and the whole "sandbox" type thing. I may have to buy this.

MileHighMagic
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
<<<<<<<SPOILERS>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS<<<<<<<<SPOILERS>>>>>>>>

Red Dead Redemption: The Outlaw
Being evil isn't cheap, but it sure is fun.
by Erik Brudvig
LATEST IMAGES

May 7, 2010 - Whenever given the option in a videogame, I invariably bend toward the darkness. If I'm going to do good deeds I may as well save them for real life where it counts. When it comes to those digital denizens of the videogame world, with their strict and artificial rules, I like to have a little fun. When I got done with a recent six hour play session of Red Dead Redemption, the virtual world didn't know what hit it.

The way I see it, there are two types of behaviors in Red Dead Redemption – Rockstar's upcoming open-world Western -- that I would consider key to being a true outlaw. The first are the kind that will actually affect your morality rating in the game. Do good deeds, be the hero and save the day in general and you'll be seen as a hero. Kill innocents, break the law, and help out the villains and you'll be seen otherwise.

The second set of actions I'll get to in a little bit. These are the ones that go above and beyond Red Dead Redemption's laws -- the types of things that any person with bleak thoughts can dream up and perform in a sandbox like this.

Watch the latest gameplay trailer for a true revolution.Performing actions of the first type and driving down your morality rating is actually pretty easy and it won't take long before you're ready to paint the town red. The game opens with a train ride into a small town named Armadillo and one of the first things you're greeted with is a woman of loose morals peddling her wares. Right off the bat, you can tell that this is the type of place where a person who knows how to use a gun can do as they please. After a brief introduction to set up the motivations of John Marston, you're given free rein to explore much of the world…and that means you're free to start causing a ruckus.

Unfortunately, you won't have many tools of destruction just yet, and you won't have a dollar to your name. Both of these are serious problems for a would-be bandit. You'll want to do a few story missions straight away to earn a few weapons, a lasso and some money. With the basics in tow, I set out to make my mark on the world.

This town will be mine.I started out small. A few drinks at the saloon and a bar fight later, I stumbled out into the night looking for some easy money. I ran into an old crazy lady begging me to help her find a man named Peter, but that seemed like too much work so I shot her and moved on. And just like that, my honor meter went down by five points. It would take a few dozen more bullets to innocents to gain some real notoriety, but if there is one thing that Red Dead Redemption has it is a lot of innocents to toy with.

Take, for instance, the sorts of things you can do with a lasso. You gain this little tool during a mission that teaches you the ins and outs of breaking a wild horse, but you can aim the rope ring at people, too. I went to the saloon and found a prostitute, hog-tied her and then slung her over my shoulder to take for a ride. She didn't take too kindly to this treatment, screaming out obscenities like, "There are other ways to a girl's heart, you ass!" along the way. I responded by leaving her on a train track.

The most fun comes thanks to the epic animations Red Dead Redemption produces. Shooting or knifing people and animals invariably results in hilarity. During my travels I did everything from uppercutting a cow with a bowie knife to killing so many lawmen as they entered a saloon that they were stumbling over their predecessor's body pile. You don't even have to kill anybody to have some fun. Just drawing your gun on an innocent walking down the road will startle them into a funny reaction. My favorite was a man sitting with his legs up on a table. When I trained my sights on him he fell over backwards into a piano.

When you meet every rancher, farmhand, and cowboy with a shotgun, finding steady work outside of the main missions can be a bit tricky. Sure, I responded to a woman crying for help when bandits were stealing her carriage. I even tracked down the thief, put a bullet in his head and then brought the little chariot back. I didn't give it to her, however, I shot the horse in front of her and then rode away to leave her in the wilderness.

So, as you might imagine, the income isn't too steady when you play as an insane rogue. Looting corpses only provides a dollar or two here and there. To bring in the money, I had to get creative. For a short while, I turned to hunting and my mission became to rid the plains of all cute and cuddly wildlife. Blue songbirds, though rare, are easy pickings for those with a shotgun. Majestic deer bring in a pretty penny.

Every outlaw needs a lasso.Then I found an easier path to riches -- raiding farms. As it turns out, you can skin a horse, pluck feathers from a chicken, or cut out some cow meat just the same as you can wild animals. Only these ones are all penned up and waiting for you to swing by every now and then and take your spoils. Yes, I became a cattle thief.

Before you go crazy on the poor people of Armadillo or its surrounding ranches, you should know about the consequences. They may be enough to scare you straight. Killing innocents will quite often result in a bounty being placed on your head. If you take up arms against a man of the law, you'll always get one immediately (though you also get double the drop in honor on the morality chart). If you're on a killing spree out in the wilderness, you might be able to get away scot-free, provided you can deal with the witnesses through bribery or more murder. When I saw the witness icon pop up on the mini-map, everything in sight died, be it man or beast. Nobody was going to snitch on my John Marston.

Should a bounty get placed on your head, you might first have to run from the sheriff's men until the heat cools down. Even if you do, the bounty remains. Some people in the world simply won't deal with a wanted man and that can be quite a problem. You can pay down the bounty yourself if you have the money. This might not be an option, though. I once had the bounty up near $1,500 at a time of the game where I rarely carried more than a hundred bucks. When this happens, you'll need a pardon letter. These can be gotten by completing quests for the right people, but they aren't easy to come by.

Hello. I'm going to try to shoot you soon.The good news is that it seems impossible to completely close off any avenues in Red Dead Redemption just by being a bad guy. Kill or threaten a shop keeper and their store will only shut down for a day or so. Kill an important side-quest character and you'll fail the mission, but that person will respawn eventually and you'll be allowed another chance.

Was all of this too much for you? Are you perhaps a bit more heroic? Check back Monday when IGN's Greg Miller recounts his exploits in Red Dead Redemption as the goody-two-shoes he is.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1088375p1.html

MileHighMagic
05-10-2010, 07:16 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>

Red Dead Redemption: The Hero
Bringing law and order back to the Wild West isn't for the faint of heart.
by Greg Miller

May 10, 2010 - After six hours of Red Dead Redemption, I don't see how anyone could play this game as an outlaw. The title toys with your emotions – anger, love, sympathy, guilt – and casts you into a world that's crying out for a hero. There were plenty of situations I encountered where a bullet to the head would've made my mission easier, but these weren't just faceless folks in a videogame world – I needed to help them. I can pinpoint the moment when the depravity of the henchmen I was up against made me sick to my stomach and I knew that being good was the only way for me to play this game.

A number of campsites were found raided, complete parties wiped out by a gang of bandits. The sheriff of Armadillo and I were on the trail of these bastards and came to a farm that was far too quiet. We made our way to a barricaded barn, busted in, and found death. In the center of the room, a naked man was hanging by a noose. He was the patriarch of the house, and he was dead. Below him were the beaten and tortured bodies of his family. From the shadows, the murdered man's daughter emerged and told us that the rest of her family was being held captive in the main house.

Avenge the dead.The entire barn episode angered me in a way few games have. I was completely enveloped in the experience and furious at the monster who would do such horrendous things. I made my way to the house and relished every headshot I pulled off as I killed these men room by room. I saved a few women that I found bound in bedrooms, but their faces were beaten, swollen and bruised. One of them would only tell me that the captors had done "unspeakable things" to them. When I got back outside the house, I found another group of abused women, but rather than the traditional "Thanks, hero!" most games give you, these ladies wailed and blamed the sheriff and I for letting this happen to the family.

It was this event that cemented the fact that I could never play this game as a bad guy. The main character of Red Dead Redemption is on a quest you won't fully understand for quite sometime – I played for six hours and don't truly know the scope of his mission – but the themes will ring true. In a world with this much heartache, there needs to be a hero, and John Marston is meant to be that savior. Hell, the title of this game gives away the man's motivations. John Marston already did terrible things long before you ever pushed start. He's looking for redemption.

Last week, IGN's own Erik Brudvig walked you though his hours in the town of Armadillo, except he played as a bad guy. He shot horses in the head, left women to die in the desert, and raided the countryside. Basically, he was a maniac, and that's the kind of the virtual life I can't live. I need to save people. I need to walk the straight and narrow.

Trouble is, being that beacon of hope isn't as easy as I thought it would be in Red Dead Redemption.

No matter how empty the area, a hero needs to be on the lookout.When I first stepped off the train in Armadillo, I assumed being the good guy would be no sweat. Don't kill innocent people, help people in need, and do whatever it takes to make the world a better place. Turns out, Red Dead's open-world freedom Rockstar is always talking about makes being the good guy a little more difficult. During my first real ride across the countryside, I heard gunshots and stopped in my tracks. I did a 360-degree turn, scanned the horizon and did everything I could to find the disturbance, but I had no luck finding out what was going on. Was someone getting hijacked? Was there a fight? Was it just some idiot shooting birds out of the air? I rode towards where I thought the shots were coming from, backtracked, and searched all over the area, but I never found out what was going on

Things like that haunt me as Marston. There's so much disturbing stuff going on in this world that if I hear a commotion, I'm emotionally compelled to investigate so there won't be someone's rape and/or murder on my conscience. In Red Dead, our hero isn't a superhero. He has no telescopic vision to explore the horizon and no other-worldly sense to hone in on trouble. When something goes on around you, it's up to you to figure it out and act.

Now, these situations come in all shapes and sizes. There are the easy hero decisions, like coming up with the cash to pay a man for his property instead of the easy "blow him away and take the deed" route, but the harder decisions are the ones that need to happen in a split second. At one point, I was leaving a whore house (no services rendered), when I heard a blood-curdling scream from down the road. I ran over to the commotion and found woman on her back with a knife-wielding man on top of her. I pulled my gun and blew the assailant away. Later, I came across a woman asking for help by her stagecoach. As I approached, armed men jumped out as part of an ambush/robbery. After using the Dead Eye feature to kill all the men in a split second, I had the choice of murdering the unarmed bitch who set me up or letting her go. Of course, I let her leave.

Your relationships will make or break the emotional impact of Red Dead.These random crimes speak to that urge to be the hero in a pinch, but don't think that you're only going to get the good/bad choice if you're stumbling around the back alleys of this tumbleweed town. One of the first side missions you'll come across is a woman sobbing at the sheriff's station. Her husband journeyed to a remote area and hasn't been heard from since. If you want, you can just ignore her and go back to drinking in saloons, but if you take her quest and ride up into the hills, you'll find a severed limb and a pool of blood. As the days go by, more and more people turn up missing and you keep finding leftover feet and arms like discarded chicken bones before coming across an injured man and a moral conundrum where you have to pick whom you believe. Later, a woman you know gets kidnapped, and her life is left in your hands.

You could be an outlaw and see all of this, but you wouldn't have the same frame of reference. You'd be killing innocent people, running from the law, and striking fear into the hearts of the good people of Armadillo. That's no way for Marston to live. Why even bother trying to take out bad guys when you're worse than all of them? I'd pick patrolling the homestead with a dog named Charlie – a reoccurring side mission where you chase off poachers and drunks – any day of the week.

Be on the right side of the law.I love videogames. They connect me to characters and stories like no other medium can. Red Dead Redemption makes me feel, but it doesn't always take me places I like. That's awesome. As we have these arguments about what a game is and if it's art and yadda, yadda, yadda, it's profoundly interesting that a fictional guy in a fictional town can make me feel so many things so genuinely. I can't wait to play Red Dead Redemption, but I also dread it in a way. I know that I'm going to have to see those beaten and violated women again, and I know that I won't be able to save them. For someone who wants to save whatever world he's in, that's a hard pill to swallow.

Still, the people of Red Dead Redemption need a hero, and I'm going to be there for them.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088656p1.html

Dukes
05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Damn, disapointed to find out this won't be released on PC anytime soon.

ant1999e
05-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Seriously, we all know how you feel about COD. Now STFU already.

i4jelway7
05-11-2010, 04:47 AM
I've had this on pre-order since last year... should be a great game

fyi
if you preorder from gamestop you get a different outfit
if you preorder from amazon you get gold guns
if you preorder from bestbuy you will get a faster horse

broncocalijohn
05-11-2010, 12:42 PM
This game looks like it takes place where I live...its ****ing insane and looks gorgeous. Holy smack...I had no idea this game was even coming out.

Where the hell have I been?

Your previous post....

That was your man cave or a man's cave? That might explain it. :yayaya:

orangeatheist
05-11-2010, 01:27 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1273534665&sr=1-1

Screw that! Got mine pre-ordered at Gamestop down the street, bonus outfit PLUS midnight event! So, I'm getting mine at 12:01am Tuesday morning, NOT waiting for the UPS guy to show up at some random time after the trucks leave the shop at 8am! :thumbsup:

Archer81
05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Your previous post....

That was your man cave or a man's cave? That might explain it. :yayaya:

Honestly...a bit of both. Its been a good year in some ways.

Boobs McGee
05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
I've had this on pre-order since last year... should be a great game

fyi
if you preorder from gamestop you get a different outfit
if you preorder from amazon you get gold guns
if you preorder from bestbuy you will get a faster horse

I've been reading up on these...here's my question.

Are these three different bonuses going to available to unlock at SOME POINT during the game? Or is it strictly something you get depending on where you buy? I realize you won't be able to use them in multiplayer, but I was curious to see if they were attainable without some kind of monetary purchase.

I've got a preorder in at BB, but I'm not sure I want to use the code for the horse once I buy it. It could definitely take away from some of the challenges of the game (as could ALL of the bonuses).

Trying to find some info, but nothing yet.

MileHighMagic
05-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Try this:

http://www.reddead.net/forums/

Houshyamama
05-13-2010, 08:36 PM
My question is: Is it going to have the same crappy control style as GTA?

Archer81
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
My question is: Is it going to have the same crappy control style as GTA?

God I hope not.

Which reminds me...I need a new PS3 controller. I've screwed up the left analog stick. If I dont touch it the stick leans a bit up, so it moves the character...usually right into the line of fire or off a cliff.

seanpgk
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Done and done. Thanks for the link!

Houshyamama
05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
God I hope not.

Which reminds me...I need a new PS3 controller. I've screwed up the left analog stick. If I dont touch it the stick leans a bit up, so it moves the character...usually right into the line of fire or off a cliff.

Yeah, that's going to be a problem...

Boobs McGee
05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Try this:

http://www.reddead.net/forums/

Great link, thanks :thumbs:

The more I read about this game the more excited I get haha.

Anywho, still haven't found an answer to my question yet. It was discussed on that forum in a couple threads, but no one seems to have an answer. EUROPE is selling a limited edition copy that contains all three of the pre-order bonuses, but there isn't a concrete yes/no answer as to whether or not those bonuses are unlockable at some point yet.

Keep me posted if anybody finds anything out!

Los Broncos
05-14-2010, 12:14 AM
See the trailer commercial tonight on TV, I just hope all this buildup doesn't ruin it for me.

Archer81
05-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Yeah, that's going to be a problem...

It was a problem in Modern Warfare 2. Caused alot more problems then it should have.

Chris
05-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Out today

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/reddeadredemption

Doggcow
05-18-2010, 03:25 PM
k

MileHighMagic
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Anybody playing this yet? How is it?

Less than an hour away til I get my hands on a copy. I am freaking out!

Kaylore
05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
This makes like the fourth red dead redemption thread.

no-pseudo-fan
05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
This makes like the fourth red dead redemption thread.

but Eric Decker= Eddy Mac

Jerry Curl
05-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Been playing for like 7 hours, game is amazing.

Archer81
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I bought it. Im about an hour in. "Accidentally" shot two lawmen looking for a criminal, I saw bullets whizzing by, turned and fired at who was running at me...not cool. Then, when the criminal thanked me...I shot him in the face.

Awesome.

Archer81
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Anybody playing this yet? How is it?

Less than an hour away til I get my hands on a copy. I am freaking out!

So far so good. Hard getting used to controlling the horse at first but it becomes second nature pretty quick.

Los Broncos
05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I bought it. Im about an hour in. "Accidentally" shot two lawmen looking for a criminal, I saw bullets whizzing by, turned and fired at who was running at me...not cool. Then, when the criminal thanked me...I shot him in the face.

Awesome.

Nice, I cant afford the sixty bucks right now, maybe I'll go rent it.

Archer81
05-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Nice, I cant afford the sixty bucks right now, maybe I'll go rent it.

I dont think you will regret it.

Good game.

24champ
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Awesome.

What console you got? I am thinking of buying the PS3 shortly.

Archer81
05-18-2010, 06:43 PM

PS3. I also have a Wii and working on getting an Xbox360.

Los Broncos
05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Seems like their working on an XBox 720, not sure how long it'll be before it comes out.

DBruleU
05-18-2010, 09:23 PM

I thought you already had a PS3?

24champ
05-18-2010, 09:52 PM
I thought you already had a PS3?

My old Dell broke down a little over a year ago, so I had to buy a new Sony Vaio laptop at the time I was going to purchase a ps3. Now I am tempted to get one since there's some great games like Red Dead Redemption out now and Socom 4 on the horizon.

Chris
05-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Game is like the #6 topic on Twitter worldwide

Sir_Robin
05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Game is like the #6 topic on Twitter worldwide

That would explain why I couldn't redeem my golden guns code until 3 this morning. It's hard to imagine that many people hitting the servers for so long but I guess it's possible. The only problem is that I am seven hours into the game and now have to decide if I want to start over.

Oh, and as for the horse control...I can tell you the pelt is worth $2 dollars if you skin it after running off a cliff. :wave:

Archer81
05-19-2010, 10:00 AM
That would explain why I couldn't redeem my golden guns code until 3 this morning. It's hard to imagine that many people hitting the servers for so long but I guess it's possible. The only problem is that I am seven hours into the game and now have to decide if I want to start over.

Oh, and as for the horse control...I can tell you the pelt is worth $2 dollars if you skin it after running off a cliff. :wave:

When you look for wanted men, you get mini waves of gang members after you start to take them in or kill them. Shoot the horse, kill the guy. You get horse meat and horse hides to sell. Might as well.

DBruleU
05-19-2010, 10:19 AM

I don't think you need to start over for the code to take effect.

Goobzilla
05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Great game! Going to redeem my golden guns code tonight. Actually have 2 codes if someone who didn't preorder from Amazon wants it. 1 in the case and one they emailed to me last night.

Rabb
05-19-2010, 10:49 AM
the game is amazing so far, I am loving it...hell I spent a half hour hunting deer and hawks and armadillos last night lol

oh and for those that don't care about their codes, they are going from 30 - 50 bucks on ebay

it's amazing what people will pay for

Archer81
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
the game is amazing so far, I am loving it...hell I spent a half hour hunting deer and hawks and armadillos last night lol

oh and for those that don't care about their codes, they are going from 30 - 50 bucks on ebay

it's amazing what people will pay for

I spent an hour playing poker...addictive as hell.

Boobs McGee
05-19-2010, 06:45 PM
So , this game is abso****inglutely awesome. Like, Im probly going to be a hermit for a while haha. Anywho, I was out trying to do a bounty mission, and came across something that said "save the treasure hunter". Without looking at my reticle, I just started blasting at the dude who was hiding. turned out to be the treasure hunter. Killed the dudes who were after him, then looted the bodies and found a treasure map. My question, do you think some of these people you accidentally kill have pertinent info? Any chance you'll run into them in case you missed what they had to say?

Archer81
05-19-2010, 07:18 PM
So , this game is abso****inglutely awesome. Like, Im probly going to be a hermit for a while haha. Anywho, I was out trying to do a bounty mission, and came across something that said "save the treasure hunter". Without looking at my reticle, I just started blasting at the dude who was hiding. turned out to be the treasure hunter. Killed the dudes who were after him, then looted the bodies and found a treasure map. My question, do you think some of these people you accidentally kill have pertinent info? Any chance you'll run into them in case you missed what they had to say?

If its the stranger I'm thinking of the guy ends up giving you the map anyway if you let him live. So in his case, your fine. Watch out for marshalls chasing criminals.

PS. Horse wrangling is bull****.

Cosmo
05-19-2010, 07:28 PM
OMG, you have to lasso a bad guy and drag him around a rocky area, F'ING AWESOME GAME. I rarely shoot the bad guys now, more fun to be evil.

Boobs McGee
05-19-2010, 09:51 PM
If its the stranger I'm thinking of the guy ends up giving you the map anyway if you let him live. So in his case, your fine. Watch out for marshalls chasing criminals.

PS. Horse wrangling is bull****.

haha I haven't gotten to the wranglin part yet, but I just got back from softball so hopefully I get there at some point tonight.

Thanks for the heads up on the treasure guy though...apparently i've got an itchy trigger finger.

what's your psid btw? i'm vajynatarian. A posse will be forthcoming

Quoydogs
05-19-2010, 11:14 PM
haha I haven't gotten to the wranglin part yet, but I just got back from softball so hopefully I get there at some point tonight.

Thanks for the heads up on the treasure guy though...apparently i've got an itchy trigger finger.

So do I have to beat this lady in the horse race or can I do her and move on?

Jerry Curl
05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
So, who has it for 360...we should get a posse going. Just finished Fort Mercer and got the 3rd level of dead-eye, pimp. I got the gamestop code for quicker regeneration to, which owns. If anyone wants to shoot me a code for something else, for free, I'm down.

Boobs McGee
05-20-2010, 12:21 AM

i dunno, didn't beat her :( dont know what happens if you DO beat her.

Boobs McGee
05-20-2010, 12:22 AM
So, who has it for 360...we should get a posse going. Just finished Fort Mercer and got the 3rd level of dead-eye, pimp. I got the gamestop code for quicker regeneration to, which owns. If anyone wants to shoot me a code for something else, for free, I'm down.

Question for ya...have you been doing side missions or anything? or have you just been following the main objectives? Or have you just been playing for 48 hours straight ;D

Chris
05-20-2010, 07:41 AM

You don't have to beat her.

MileHighMagic
05-20-2010, 08:11 AM
I can't seem to drag a guy after I lasso them. I get em hooked and then try to take off on my horse but the rope releases. Any tips?

Also, when playing online, do you have to resend posse invites every time? If not, how do I save it?

Jesterhole
05-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Bah, over hyped, over rated. Save your money if you haven't bought this turd yet.

Jerry Curl
05-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Exactly how is it overrated?

Rigs11
05-20-2010, 09:31 AM

yeah im stoked for Mario galaxy 2, first review from Edge gave it a perfect score.

Archer81
05-20-2010, 10:07 AM

Sirhcyennek81.

I believe you are already on my friend's list.

Rabb
05-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I just sold my code for the Deadly Assassin's outfit on ebay (the code I got with Game Stop) for...

$61

unreal

Archer81
05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I just sold my code for the Deadly Assassin's outfit on ebay (the code I got with Game Stop) for...

$61

unreal

You can now buy another game like FF13...the things people pay for.

Rabb
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
You can now buy another game like FF13...the things people pay for.

exactly, I am parlaying this into another game...I love it

it almost feels dirty....almost ;D

Archer81
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
exactly, I am parlaying this into another game...I love it

it almost feels dirty....almost ;D

Psh. Capitalism at its finest. You had something someone else wanted and they paid $61 for it.

The new game is a reward for your labor.

Doggcow
05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Psh. Capitalism at its finest. You had something someone else wanted and they paid $61 for it.

The new game is a reward for your labor.

Because he has a gamestop near him. Lol.

Btw, shouldnt all the Madden haters be in here bashing the **** out of Rockstar for selling out to gamestop? Same exact thing as madden, you have to pay for something if you dont buy the game new... Except even worse, because it's restricted to JUST gamestop.

Archer81
05-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Btw, shouldnt all the Madden haters be in here bashing the **** out of Rockstar for selling out to gamestop? Same exact thing as madden, you have to pay for something if you dont buy the game new... Except even worse, because it's restricted to JUST gamestop.

The last Madden I have bought in the last 6 years is Madden 2009. There has not been a big enough leap for me to consider buying it again for $65

Jerry Curl
05-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Bestbuy, amazon, others had deals too, not just gamestop.

Doggcow
05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Bestbuy, amazon, others had deals too, not just gamestop.

Either way, it's much more restrictive than what EA is doing. Where are the haters?

Cosmo
05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I can't seem to drag a guy after I lasso them. I get em hooked and then try to take off on my horse but the rope releases. Any tips?

Also, when playing online, do you have to resend posse invites every time? If not, how do I save it?

Well, assuming you are playing on the PS3, you hold L2 to get the lasso going, then R2 to lasso them. Do not let go of L2 and don't wrap the rope around cactus, trees, etc. Try getting someone on a road before trying a nice bumpy road. Oh, and it makes you let go of them once they are dead.

i4jelway7
05-20-2010, 03:12 PM
awesome game

Rigs11
05-20-2010, 03:35 PM
dammitt! have heard nothing but good things about this game. looks like I'll be stopping at best buy on the way home.

Boobs McGee
05-20-2010, 04:26 PM
dammitt! have heard nothing but good things about this game. looks like I'll be stopping at best buy on the way home.

DUDE. You totally should. Engrossing game. I've pretty much spent most of my time just roaming around hunting **** haha. WORTH EVERY PENNY so far though.

And chris...i DO have you on my friends list, but it says you haven't logged in in like, 54 days or something. Are you logging in privately or something?

Anybody tried the multiplayer yet? I'm kind of waiting till I get a good handle on the controls before I venture out into the MP realm...

Archer81
05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
DUDE. You totally should. Engrossing game. I've pretty much spent most of my time just roaming around hunting **** haha. WORTH EVERY PENNY so far though.

And chris...i DO have you on my friends list, but it says you haven't logged in in like, 54 days or something. Are you logging in privately or something?

Anybody tried the multiplayer yet? I'm kind of waiting till I get a good handle on the controls before I venture out into the MP realm...

No, just have not logged in in awhile. The last time I was playing Borderlands with some buddies.

I just got the duster in RDR. I am now Clint Eastwood. But if people keep asking me for help I will shoot a bitch.

Jerry Curl
05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I just played poker for an hour. Liar's dice is addicting too.

Chris
05-20-2010, 06:38 PM

You have to hold the L2 / LT to keep your lasso up when dragging someone.

Boobs McGee
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
when do you get the lasso? I've been trying to go after bounties, but can't figure out how to bring them in alive, so I keep getting short changed (i'm assuming you lasso them). Just got done saving a snakeoilsalesman

CSU Husker
05-20-2010, 07:40 PM
when do you get the lasso? I've been trying to go after bounties, but can't figure out how to bring them in alive, so I keep getting short changed (i'm assuming you lasso them). Just got done saving a snakeoilsalesman

Its a Bonnie mission, keep doing her missions til ya get it

Boobs McGee
05-20-2010, 08:15 PM
:thumbs:

thx

MileHighMagic
05-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Well, assuming you are playing on the PS3, you hold L2 to get the lasso going, then R2 to lasso them. Do not let go of L2 and don't wrap the rope around cactus, trees, etc. Try getting someone on a road before trying a nice bumpy road. Oh, and it makes you let go of them once they are dead.

Thx!

Chris

You have to hold the L2 / LT to keep your lasso up when dragging someone.

Thx!

Houshyamama
05-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Great game. Stayed up way too late playing it.

Rabb
05-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Great game. Stayed up way too late playing it.

Man me too, the "one more mission" thing turned into 2 AM...which turned into FML this morning

Archer81
05-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Doing alot of side missions. Getting asked for help alot. My horse is kickass and I saved a bunch of rancher women from getting raped and murdered.

MileHighMagic
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
The high country is absolutely stunning! Waterfalls, river, snow, mountains, skinny trails, etc. I bagged an elk and a bear.

Archer81
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
The high country is absolutely stunning! Waterfalls, river, snow, mountains, skinny trails, etc. I bagged an elk and a bear.

I took down a pack of wolves. That was lucky.

The entire environment is stunning. Riding on dusty roads at sunset into town from a high ridge...gorgeous.

Quoydogs
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Doing alot of side missions. Getting asked for help alot. My horse is kickass and I saved a bunch of rancher women from getting raped and murdered.

So are different horses faster then others? Is it best to catch and break one or just take a tied up one? Also is it better to keep one or can I keep switching ?

Los Broncos
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
It's funny the way you guys explain it, sounds like fun.

Flex Gunmetal
05-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Picking it up tonight. Getting excited. Has anyone gotten close or beaten it yet?

Houshyamama
05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Man me too, the "one more mission" thing turned into 2 AM...which turned into FML this morning

Exactly, I kept rationalizing my way to next to no sleep :~ohyah!:

Archer81
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
So are different horses faster then others? Is it best to catch and break one or just take a tied up one? Also is it better to keep one or can I keep switching ?

Sounds of things the game has different horses. Once the horse trusts you it has better stamina and wont buck you off when its tired. I had the horse Bonnie gave me, it got shot out from under me. Got a new one, had that one until I went with Bonnie and her dad to wrangle a herd into a narrow canyon. Ended up with a gold stallion. Pretty kickass horse.

Archer81
05-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Dont take a horse thats tied up unless you are going for the outlaw angle. Otherwise they have horses roaming all over near Armadillo. Get the lasso and break one to keep.

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Today is the day I go home and pull an all nighter...gotta work at 4 a.m. tomorrow (only for about 4 hours), so I'm drinkin some rockstars and goin to town on this bitch.

Unlocked a couple outfits...there's one that makes you look like kenny rogers, the duster (as chris pointed out, you feel like ****ing clint eastwood), and then if you go into the social club option in the menu, you can unlock an outfit that gets you into some high stakes game later on. That social club also unlocks more challenges, where you can see how your best time stacks up to the best times across the gaming world. pretty cool.

I was trying to kill some mountain lions, TOUGH sons a bitches. Hard to see, and they take down your horse with the quickness. Died about 5 times haha. This game just keeps getting better and better

Vegas_Bronco
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Post some screen shots...I'm 33 and just gave up video games but this one has me thinking that my psychologist and counselor really doesn't know whats best for me.

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Sounds of things the game has different horses. Once the horse trusts you it has better stamina and wont buck you off when its tired. I had the horse Bonnie gave me, it got shot out from under me. Got a new one, had that one until I went with Bonnie and her dad to wrangle a herd into a narrow canyon. Ended up with a gold stallion. Pretty kickass horse.

Just got that stallion last night, pretty sweet. i THINK any horse will buck you off if all it's stamina is gone, and you keep kicking it. Has happened to me with every horse so far...

Has anybody tried buying a horse from any of the general stores yet? I noticed some of the high dollar ones (which are unavailable to me still) have better ratings.

Oh, and I read in the newspaper that in that Thieves town place you get a higher price for pelts and meat

Archer81
05-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Just got that stallion last night, pretty sweet. i THINK any horse will buck you off if all it's stamina is gone, and you keep kicking it. Has happened to me with every horse so far...

Has anybody tried buying a horse from any of the general stores yet? I noticed some of the high dollar ones (which are unavailable to me still) have better ratings.

Oh, and I read in the newspaper that in that Thieves town place you get a higher price for pelts and meat

Thieves Landing. I went there ONE time because I'd never been to that part of the available map yet, and had 3 duels. Like seriously? WTF. Fine. I'll kill you, then loot your carcass for money and ammo.

Quoydogs
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM

First the golden stallion is called a Buck skin in real life just a little FYI. Second where can you find the ratings for your horse?

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 04:54 PM
First the golden stallion is called a Buck skin in real life just a little FYI. Second where can you find the ratings for your horse?

LOL mine looks more like a palomino than a buckskin..maybe i need to adjust the color settings on my t.v. ;D

As far as the ratings go, they're not comprehensive like the weapons. I just noticed, when you're at the general store (don't know if they all sell horses or not, but at the ranch they do), they list horses. Basically a color description, and then something about it's speed...slow horse, normal speed, or fast. Pretty basic, and I have no idea how they stack up against the other horses you can break out in the wild.

Chris
05-21-2010, 07:08 PM

What is your gamertag?

Drek
05-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Different horses have different ratings. Stores sell them based on breed name (I'm assuming just stuff Rockstar made up), better horses are more expensive. They vary in speed and stamina at least, possibly other stats but definitely those two.

I had the stallion you get with Bonnie and her dad killed while fighting a pack of wolves and I was pissed because all I could find after where regular old horses. But after a little hunting out in the wild I came across a black and brown horse that doesn't have quite the stamina of the first stallion but has a much higher base speed.

After losing the first stallion it unlocked one of the high tier horses for purchase in the general store. I'm guessing its the store equivalent of the one you get on that mission, and that is how you unlock all the higher tier horses. So you'd be able to compare based on the store descriptions pretty well there.

Quoydogs
05-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Alright I have decided to turn evil. Enough with this help me crap. I gonna F some sh@t up. Anyone else done this? I'll keep you posted on how it goes. :pimp:

Tankgunner95
05-21-2010, 08:28 PM
SH!T I been playing game for 5 days straight, we need to get a posse together on a serious note. Ill just be chilling running around and they kill me. Add me Tank1276. Im on after 10 when the wife goes to bed, Central time LOL

Archer81
05-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Alright I have decided to turn evil. Enough with this help me crap. I gonna F some sh@t up. Anyone else done this? I'll keep you posted on how it goes. :pimp:

There is a mission where you have to steal a marshall's horse...Friggin crazy ass Seth...

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 08:35 PM
What is your gamertag?

vajynatarian

Doggcow
05-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Gonna pick this game up tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

I highly doubt it's going to be as awesome as Demon's Souls (what I'm turning in) though.

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 08:37 PM
There is a mission where you have to steal a marshall's horse...Friggin crazy ass Seth...

Seth is like the old west version of a tweaker. guy is CRAZY.

Anybody know if you can buy shovels in this game? I think it actually might have something to DO with seth...but I have a treasure map, and I'm pretty sure I know the exact spot where it's located, but have no way to get to it.

Ideas?

And p.s., just unlocked the Deadly Assasin outfit. dope.

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 08:38 PM

I highly doubt it's going to be as awesome as Demon's Souls (what I'm turning in) though.

Honestly man, just go into it with an open mind. Your gf's gonna hate you in about a week. Pretty soon you'll be running around New Austin like a pimp with a limp.

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
"when a man with a singsong voice tells me to **** off, it ALWAYS concerns me, boy-o"

John Marston

Archer81
05-21-2010, 09:05 PM
"when a man with a singsong voice tells me to **** off, it ALWAYS concerns me, boy-o"

John Marston

I was heading for The Hanging Rock and passed a man dressed in mostly black telling me about a man in Thieves Landing who was about to do something horrible. Very creepyesque. The stranger told me he'd see me again. Was like a conversation with death or the devil.

Doggcow
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Honestly man, just go into it with an open mind. Your gf's gonna hate you in about a week. Pretty soon you'll be running around New Austin like a pimp with a limp.

Have you played Demon's Souls?

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I was heading for The Hanging Rock and passed a man dressed in mostly black telling me about a man in Thieves Landing who was about to do something horrible. Very creepyesque. The stranger told me he'd see me again. Was like a conversation with death or the devil.

THATS the kind of situation that makes this game great!!

Haven't seen him yet...and i was at Hangin Rock for an hour or so looking for that damn treasure. FOUND IT finally (I wasn't reading the map properly, you have to look at those numerals in order, like seperate drawings), so maybe I'll check around for that man in black some more

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Have you played Demon's Souls?

Sure haven't. Is it good? What kind of game is it?

Doggcow
05-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Sure haven't. Is it good? What kind of game is it?

Probably the best game to be released in quite a while. It has a Diablo vibe to it, however, it will kick your ass time and time again.

Archer81
05-21-2010, 10:52 PM
THATS the kind of situation that makes this game great!!

Haven't seen him yet...and i was at Hangin Rock for an hour or so looking for that damn treasure. FOUND IT finally (I wasn't reading the map properly, you have to look at those numerals in order, like seperate drawings), so maybe I'll check around for that man in black some more

I was coming back from Bonnie's to the Hanging Rock through Armadillo. You come off the plateau and he is just standing at a drop off overlooking the valley, no horse, no wagon. Just a man standing there in the middle of nowhere. Asks if you remember a girl who died on a ferry. Just a very off conversation. Like a clip from Poe or something.

80smith
05-21-2010, 11:07 PM
I just started the game and got about 2 to 3 hours of play time. It is a cool game!

I went looking for the missing boy in the American appetite objective/mission and came across a man in the desert asking if he can catch a ride.... He stole my horse... But I whistled and my horse came back. Wonder if I can find that guy and **** him up?

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I was coming back from Bonnie's to the Hanging Rock through Armadillo. You come off the plateau and he is just standing at a drop off overlooking the valley, no horse, no wagon. Just a man standing there in the middle of nowhere. Asks if you remember a girl who died on a ferry. Just a very off conversation. Like a clip from Poe or something.

I got off into some treasure hunting. Found 3 so far...gotta head to bed, no all nighter for me ha.

BUT, tomorrow, I'm headin out in search of your dark man. Have you been trying to attain the different challenge status'? I'm on Level 4 for the marksman, survivalist, treasure hunter, and one other one. Haven't tried riding the train yet, but one of the challenges is hit 5 birds whilst riding it. I was going all rambo style at first, but now I'm using the Deadeye almost every time I hunt for something.

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 11:37 PM
I just started the game and got about 2 to 3 hours of play time. It is a cool game!

I went looking for the missing boy in the American appetite objective/mission and came across a man in the desert asking if he can catch a ride.... He stole my horse... But I whistled and my horse came back. Wonder if I can find that guy and **** him up?

I usually just cap them as soon as he recovers ;D

Steal my horse, bitch? **** YOU! clack clack clack

Boobs McGee
05-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Probably the best game to be released in quite a while. It has a Diablo vibe to it, however, it will kick your ass time and time again.

I'll give it a look once I've had my fill of this one. Having a Diablo vibe, is it available for pc? If not, do the controls mesh on the ps3?

Doggcow
05-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I'll give it a look once I've had my fill of this one. Having a Diablo vibe, is it available for pc? If not, do the controls mesh on the ps3?

Controls work perfectly for PS3, the game is one of the most polished and beautifully made games I have seen in some time. They spared no expense. It just went under the radar for some reason.

Quoydogs
05-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Controls work perfectly for PS3, the game is one of the most polished and beautifully made games I have seen in some time. They spared no expense. It just went under the radar for some reason.

So evil is pretty cool. Still have a lot missions you can do and when you go on a killing spree you just have to kill all the head hunters and then its back to normal. Other then people will run from you when you come near them.

Oh I killed everyone in Mcfarland and now it's a deserted. Sweet.

80smith
05-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I usually just cap them as soon as he recovers ;D

Steal my horse, b****? **** YOU! clack clack clack

I tried! I was watching the Blackhawks game at the same time and the hawks scored when my horse was stolen from me so I was slow to the draw...

Boobs McGee
05-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I tried! I was watching the Blackhawks game at the same time and the hawks scored when my horse was stolen from me so I was slow to the draw...

Deadeye my friend, deadeye :thumbs:

TheReverend
05-22-2010, 10:08 AM

And all you do is stop some dude from banging a hooker.

Rigs11
05-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Picked it up last night and played for about four hours. Loving the game,graphics are awesom especially at night, except I took my horsey over a cliff and killed it. felt really bad and then ended up gutting it.Ha!Have seen some glitches though, I had a pack of mean guys following me and they would never shoot at me.

Flex Gunmetal
05-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Did like 5 missions for bonnie, 3 or 4 for the armadillo marshall, and a few for seth and the traveling salesman dude.

Anyone know the benefit of buying maps? I bought one for cholla falls and used it in the inventory and nothing changed, on the menu map or the in-game map.

I wanna find more hideouts.

Quoydogs
05-22-2010, 11:21 AM
So I have turned evil and now Bonnie is gone. My question is does she come she just go away after awhile or did she get pissed because I turned evil ?

Cosmo
05-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Did like 5 missions for bonnie, 3 or 4 for the armadillo marshall, and a few for seth and the traveling salesman dude.

Anyone know the benefit of buying maps? I bought one for cholla falls and used it in the inventory and nothing changed, on the menu map or the in-game map.

I think the map enables the taxi carriage for that particular town. Instant travel for 10-20 bucks. Using your campfire does the same thing though....

Archer81
05-22-2010, 12:26 PM
And all you do is stop some dude from banging a hooker.

Exactly. So what was the purpose? Why did that odd dude send me halfway across the map to stop it?

Quoydogs
05-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Exactly. So what was the purpose? Why did that odd dude send me halfway across the map to stop it?

I paid the man 15 bucks to do her. LOL

Archer81
05-22-2010, 12:58 PM
I paid the man 15 bucks to do her. LOL

Nice.

But who is the guy who told you to head over to Thieves Landing?

Quoydogs
05-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Nice.

But who is the guy who told you to head over to Thieves Landing?

Some dude standing on the Ridge line in a black duster and a top hat. I did not think he was ghost like though. It was not that far from Mcfarlane

Sir_Robin
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Here's a couple of screenshots from multiplayer. Multiplayer has been pretty glitchy for me, at times, as you can see. The first is me riding my invisible horse. The second is a wagon I discovered that appeared over the water and then fell into the water. It did this over and over in a loop. I finally killed the driver and passenger and both horses which left just the wagon falling.

I've only found a few small, if annoying glitches, in the single player game. The biggest one is the survivalist challenge. Some of them say "collect x number of flowers including any you may have already picked". I have four in my inventory but it doesn't show on the challenge. No biggie though as long as you have a survivalist map.

As for the horses - I bought the Kentucky Saddler which is listed as "fast". It gets up to speed quicker, seems a little faster at a steady run, is definitely faster when spurred, and stops quicker. If it gets killed you just go into your pack and select the deed, whistle, and he returns to you.

Archer81
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Some dude standing on the Ridge line in a black duster and a top hat. I did not think he was ghost like though. It was not that far from Mcfarlane

Dont think I said ghost like. Just odd. And its far enough from McFarlane's Ranch for it to be wierd. No horse or wagon. Just a guy standing at the edge of a dropoff staring off into space...New Austin is friggin wierd.

Quoydogs
05-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Dont think I said ghost like. Just odd. And its far enough from McFarlane's Ranch for it to be wierd. No horse or wagon. Just a guy standing at the edge of a dropoff staring off into space...New Austin is friggin wierd.

Someone earlier said ghost like. No offense.

TheReverend
05-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Maybe Bonnie's brother? She said he was a banker now

ant1999e
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM

We'll all be holding our breaths awaiting a review from the great video game connoisseur Doggcow.ZZZ...

Doggcow
05-22-2010, 05:02 PM
We'll all be holding our breaths awaiting a review from the great video game connoisseur Doggcow.ZZZ...

Aww, did I hurt your feelings for not flipping head over heals for your rehashed GTA?

TheReverend
05-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh fyi... the second you get into mexico... head to Escolero with 1k and buy out the new weapons... awesome guns

ant1999e
05-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Aww, did I hurt your feelings for not flipping head over heals for your rehashed GTA?

Haven't got it yet. I just think it's funny how whenever someone makes a thread about a game you come here and bash it.

ghwk
05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
This thread needs to close until this comes out on PC. This is pissing me off.

Archer81
05-22-2010, 07:24 PM
This thread needs to close until this comes out on PC. This is pissing me off.

Dont read it.

Simple.

Boobs McGee
05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh fyi... the second you get into mexico... head to Escolero with 1k and buy out the new weapons... awesome guns

JOOC, is Mexico considered the southern part of your map? Or do you get a completely seperate big map at some point in the game?

TheReverend
05-22-2010, 09:24 PM
JOOC, is Mexico considered the southern part of your map? Or do you get a completely seperate big map at some point in the game?

southern part, yes

Boobs McGee
05-22-2010, 11:42 PM
FINALLY kicked everybody off the table in armadillo....hooray elegant suit and cheating at 5 card hold em'.

Boobs McGee
05-22-2010, 11:43 PM
oh, and chris kenny, found the dark and mysterious fellow up on the ridge. Very strange...an ominous feel, almost as if he's "watching" to see how you turn things around. I wonder if the woman on the ferry that was killed was his wife?

Sir_Robin
05-23-2010, 12:39 AM
FINALLY kicked everybody off the table in armadillo....hooray elegant suit and cheating at 5 card hold em'.

:kiddingme Ummm...you couldn't do that without the suit? The armadillo guys are very predictable.

Boobs McGee
05-23-2010, 01:10 AM
i suck at porker, be it video game or real life :(

MileHighMagic
05-23-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm trying to be a good guy but I wanted to do the "Dastardly" achievement where you place a whore on the train tracks and watch her explode--so I bought the bandana at Thieves Landing. Worked like a charrm. I slip it on everytime I can't stand being honorable anymore.

ghwk
05-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Dont read it.

Simple.

Not a chance.

Chris
05-23-2010, 08:41 AM
So I have turned evil and now Bonnie is gone. My question is does she come she just go away after awhile or did she get pissed because I turned evil ?

She won't disappear because you're evil. This is probably just the way the story's going. Either that or you gave her the clap.

Chris
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Maps will reveal all the town and settlement names for that area. In addition to this it counts as you "discovering" the area without even going there - adds to your completion percentage.

Boobs McGee
05-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm trying to be a good guy but I wanted to do the "Dastardly" achievement where you place a whore on the train tracks and watch her explode--so I bought the bandana at Thieves Landing. Worked like a charrm. I slip it on everytime I can't stand being honorable anymore.

Ha! I bought the bandana cause I thought it looked cool, didn't know it actually served a purpose. I will be exploding a whore shortly

MileHighMagic
05-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Ha! I bought the bandana cause I thought it looked cool, didn't know it actually served a purpose. I will be exploding a whore shortly

On the flip side...if you're wearing it while doing good, you don't get fame points.

Archer81
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
oh, and chris kenny, found the dark and mysterious fellow up on the ridge. Very strange...an ominous feel, almost as if he's "watching" to see how you turn things around. I wonder if the woman on the ferry that was killed was his wife?

I think Rev might be right and it might be Bonnie's brother. He went east to be a baker or a banker or whatever the hell and the guy was dressed pretty well.

Quoydogs
05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
So it keeps telling me I have a new gun available. I keep going to the gun smith but he never has one. Am I going to the wrong places ? It's starting to piss me off.

Boobs McGee
05-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I think Rev might be right and it might be Bonnie's brother. He went east to be a baker or a banker or whatever the hell and the guy was dressed pretty well.

I dunno...saw him again down in Mexico, and he's still pretty cryptic. This time, he's a bit more condescending, talking about how you're a bit of a cynical judge of people. Killing some, telling others how to live their life (helping his buddy avoid the whore). He really seems to know you somehow, I'm starting to wonder if he's a Government man sent to kind of watch over you or something. He almost seems like a tangible representation of your conscience (sp?). Gives you another deed to take care of, in which you have two moral choices.

And p.s., I saw your first official flaming homosexual in the game chris ;D He's a waiter at one of the towns in mexico...and i THINK he and this one captain have something goin on. There's some flirty stares. I'm sure you'll get all hot and bothered :yayaya:

and p.P.s., the song that plays when you first start riding through the south is ****ing AWESOME. Kind of what I would picture Johnny Cash singing if he were a bandit back in the day. It makes the whole experience feel very "westernish".

Boobs McGee
05-24-2010, 12:43 AM
So it keeps telling me I have a new gun available. I keep going to the gun smith but he never has one. Am I going to the wrong places ? It's starting to piss me off.

Not sure...try the Thieves Landing area? If you're still in the New Austin area, I think the guns you can get are the Volcanic pistol, a springfield repeater, a buffallo rifle, and one other repeater. Just keep looking in random gunsmiths

Flex Gunmetal
05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Done about 5 missions in mexico. This game is way more fun than gta imo. But I love westerns.
I've been looking for that fast black horse, I have the gold one now. Bounties are starting to pay off huge.
Random events in this game are hilarious.
So do I have to wait for the train to explode a whore? I take it you tie her up put her on the horse then drop her ahead of a train?
This game is lolz

Archer81
05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Done about 5 missions in mexico. This game is way more fun than gta imo. But I love westerns.
I've been looking for that fast black horse, I have the gold one now. Bounties are starting to pay off huge.
Random events in this game are hilarious.
So do I have to wait for the train to explode a whore? I take it you tie her up put her on the horse then drop her ahead of a train?
This game is lolz

Yup. Just find out where the train is on the map, ride out ahead to intersect it. Put the Josina...err whore down.

Chris
05-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Have you guys tried the hunting challenges in free roam yet?

ElwayMD
05-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Have you guys tried the hunting challenges in free roam yet?

yep...trying to kill a bear with a knife is not fun.

Boobs McGee
05-24-2010, 08:58 PM
oooo little jealous here...haven't found any bears yet. The hunting in this game is epic. The semi-auto shotty just destroys pesky wolves btw. Money in the bank.

I'm about a level 7 in everything but the treasure hunter right now...right now I'm looking for Big horn sheep and Elk.

And where the **** do elk hang out???? Is it up in the tall trees area as well?

Chris
05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Yea the snowy parts

Archer81
05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I was attacked by a cougar...took out my friggin stallion with ONE swipe. That is just straight up B ****. Now I am at an abandoned town trying to save a captured sheriff.

Quoydogs
05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I just got done killing 5 wolves with a knife. I have not checked what is next. had to do it twice. When i was skinning out the first five wolves and fricken Bore killed me.

I hate pigs!

Cosmo
05-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Trying to get sharpshooter to level 10, it requires disarming 6 people without changing the gun or reloading, o.0.

Sir_Robin
05-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Trying to get sharpshooter to level 10, it requires disarming 6 people without changing the gun or reloading, o.0.

I'm still having a hard time with disarming 2 people. I finished the hunter and survivalist quests however. Nearly finished with treasure hunting.

When looking for Elk I found the most success running back and forth between the snow line and the forest in tall trees.

I was attacked by a cougar...took out my friggin stallion with ONE swipe. That is just straight up B ****. Now I am at an abandoned town trying to save a captured sheriff.

At the risk of saying something you may already know: your horse will always tell you when a bear, cougar, or bobcat is nearby. If he whinnies, and you are not near a cliff edge, be on the lookout.

Quoydogs
05-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Ok so my dude is extremely horny how do I tag one of the bitches at the saloon? I just can't see them putting prostitutes on this game and the only thing they are good for is putting them in front of the train.

Chris
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM

Use the third level of dead eye

Flex Gunmetal
05-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Just got the hungarian half bred. Sick horse.

On the treasure maps, do I look where the picture is taken from? Or just look around the objects in the picture?
Yes, I could be a moron.

Sir_Robin
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Just got the hungarian half bred. Sick horse.

On the treasure maps, do I look where the picture is taken from? Or just look around the objects in the picture?
Yes, I could be a moron.

Both. Look closely at the pictures as they tell you more about the region it's in (types of shrubs, grass, etc). There are sometimes written clues. Also, when you go to your journal and select treasure hunter you'll sometimes see an extra bit of info as to it's location. Granted, it's usually vague info but it helps.

In my experience hangman's rock and one of the treasures in mexico have been the two hardest to find based on the maps. The other's have been pretty straight forward.

Archer81
05-25-2010, 01:02 PM
At the risk of saying something you may already know: your horse will always tell you when a bear, cougar, or bobcat is nearby. If he whinnies, and you are not near a cliff edge, be on the lookout.

I know, it just surprised me because I was at Gaptooth Ridge and raced past it. I thought I had outran it when it appeared right behind me. Before I could get my horse going again he brought my horse down. Then I shot him 3 times and took his pelt. Then I skinned my horse, too. I am also having problems with duels. I am losing like a mofo.

jhat01
05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Just picked up the game. Very cool. It will take me a day to get rid of the Battlefield controls bleedover though! hahaha

Boobs McGee
05-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Both. Look closely at the pictures as they tell you more about the region it's in (types of shrubs, grass, etc). There are sometimes written clues. Also, when you go to your journal and select treasure hunter you'll sometimes see an extra bit of info as to it's location. Granted, it's usually vague info but it helps.

In my experience hangman's rock and one of the treasures in mexico have been the two hardest to find based on the maps. The other's have been pretty straight forward.

That first one at hangman's rock took me FOREVER. I was standing back aways from the rock, trying to figure out where the other rocks (roman numeral 2) lined up. It finally dawned on me that I was reading the map wrong haha. They've been pretty easy since then.

Boobs McGee
05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I know, it just surprised me because I was at Gaptooth Ridge and raced past it. I thought I had outran it when it appeared right behind me. Before I could get my horse going again he brought my horse down. Then I shot him 3 times and took his pelt. Then I skinned my horse, too. I am also having problems with duels. I am losing like a mofo.

I was having a huge problem with these too...that first tutorial went away to quickly, so I tried looking up guides online. Basically, here's what I've gathered.

Don't hit L2 until you're given the prompt to draw.
Aim for the chest and head
R2 when the crosshairs zoom to white (from red)
If you're tapping R2 when the crosshairs are red, it's inaccurate. The closer it is to white, the better.
You can also gain more fame by disarming them.

A good place to practice, is in Mexico with Mr. Rickets at the poker game. It's an actual challenge, so if you get killed you start right back at the start of the duel.

CSU Husker
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
That first one at hangman's rock took me FOREVER. I was standing back aways from the rock, trying to figure out where the other rocks (roman numeral 2) lined up. It finally dawned on me that I was reading the map wrong haha. They've been pretty easy since then.

Well crap, thats still how Im reading it. Guess Im not much of a treasure hunter.

Rulon Velvet Jones
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVXyKP1FVk

DHallblows
05-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Do I need like a shovel or something for the treasure. I'm pretty sure I know where it is, but idk if I have to dig or something. (If it's just a chest sitting there I apparently am mistaken about it's location hahaha)

CSU Husker
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Do I need like a shovel or something for the treasure. I'm pretty sure I know where it is, but idk if I have to dig or something. (If it's just a chest sitting there I apparently am mistaken about it's location hahaha)

I gave in and looked it up on youtube. Its just covered in a few rocks, so you will have the "inspect" option when you come across it. The map is garbage now that I see where it is, IMHO

Archer81
05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
People in New Austin are some odd...

I get flowers for an old man. His wife is dead and sitting in a rocking chair.

I find a guy's "long lost love"...its a horse.

Find Seth...he's just ****ing crazy.

Anybody normal?

Broncoman13
05-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I just started the game today... Not completely lost, not until I start reading all the posts in this thread and treasure hunts and roman numerals and snowy areas. I haven't seen any of that shiat yet. Just now getting the Gattling Gun. I suck at games outside of Madden and COD. Seriously, I was sent to recover a safe that some bandits stole and I was shot 4 or 5 times and knocked off my horse before I even knew I had found them... lol. This game is funny as hell though, easily the funniest dialogue I've seen in a game.

Quoydogs
05-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Help Please. So I have started tressure hunting and I have found I think where the first one is.

So I am standing on hangmans rock between the tree and the biggest bolder I see two more rock formations below it just like in the map but can't find a rock cluster with a little tree next to it

Maybe I don't understand the scale of the map. Round abouts how far is it from the big bolder ?

Thanks
I am about ready to throw my ps3 out the window

DHallblows
05-25-2010, 11:08 PM
People in New Austin are some odd...

I get flowers for an old man. His wife is dead and sitting in a rocking chair.

I find a guy's "long lost love"...its a horse.

Find Seth...he's just ****ing crazy.

Anybody normal?

You find the old lady sitting by the ruins of a building yet? Just before you get to the cemetery where you first meet Seth?

Archer81
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
You find the old lady sitting by the ruins of a building yet? Just before you get to the cemetery where you first meet Seth?

Oh yeah. Found out about her fiance/husband.

Also found the girl from the train talking to the priest.

And the fruity bastard from manhattan.

CSU Husker
05-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Help Please. So I have started tressure hunting and I have found I think where the first one is.

So I am standing on hangmans rock between the tree and the biggest bolder I see two more rock formations below it just like in the map but can't find a rock cluster with a little tree next to it

Maybe I don't understand the scale of the map. Round abouts how far is it from the big bolder ?

Thanks
I am about ready to throw my ps3 out the window

watch this if you want to see where it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSJb2Nr8daI

Quoydogs
05-26-2010, 12:54 AM
watch this if you want to see where it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSJb2Nr8daI

I figured what the hell I will just walk the whole area. It's not even close to what the map says. There is no little tree by it and it is not in the middle of 4 rocks. I think the person that made that map was smoking crack or maybe got Syphilis from one of the whores.

Quoydogs
05-26-2010, 03:01 AM
Just finished the mine. That was the dunnest yet, I wish you could ride the mine cart longer.

Boobs McGee
05-26-2010, 07:15 AM
I figured what the hell I will just walk the whole area. It's not even close to what the map says. There is no little tree by it and it is not in the middle of 4 rocks. I think the person that made that map was smoking crack or maybe got Syphilis from one of the whores.

I thought the same thing at first, but then you gotta look at the map differently.

Roman numeral 1 gives you a location to look for.

Roman numeral 2 is actually just a more in depth look at hangmans rock. Look closely, it's the same cluster of rocks, just from the backside.

no-pseudo-fan
05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Just got it yesterday, ordered from Wal Mart.com, got a pack of Red Dead Redemption cards. I am hooked on this game.

Don't know if I want to be good or bad. I pulled a Clint Eastwood in Good, the bad and Ugly and shot the rope of a man being hung. I also shot and skinned a dog, and a few horses.

Boobs McGee
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
The double action revolver is pure unadulterated beastmode. And liar's dice is about the easiest game in the world (might turn it into a drinking game)

Flex Gunmetal
05-27-2010, 09:20 AM
The double action revolver is pure unadulterated beastmode. And liar's dice is about the easiest game in the world (might turn it into a drinking game)

True.

Once you get North, the game is super easy. All the weapons are superpowered by then. The only thing that kills me is my horse falling off cliffs.
Anyone rob the banks in blackwater or chuparosa? I cant seem to get past the lobby.

Boobs McGee
05-27-2010, 09:23 AM
True.

Once you get North, the game is super easy. All the weapons are superpowered by then. The only thing that kills me is my horse falling off cliffs.
Anyone rob the banks in blackwater or chuparosa? I cant seem to get past the lobby.

Haven't tried robbing a bank...I'm workin on the "good" marston. Once I beat the game though, I'm gonna try it as an evil evil man

Los Broncos
05-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Almost done with MW2, I'm gonna trade in a bunch of games towards this one.

Cant wait...

Flex Gunmetal
05-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Haven't tried robbing a bank...I'm workin on the "good" marston. Once I beat the game though, I'm gonna try it as an evil evil man

I got to max honor after mexico and then started being a little ruthless. I kill all the horse thieves, shop thieves, escaped prisoners, and bounties if I have $1k+.

I've robbed the armadillo bank a ton of times. People in towns now grumble at me when I have a bounty. Especially up north.

jhns
05-27-2010, 10:20 AM
This is a good game. It has a weird ending. It took me about 35 hours to get %100.

Flex Gunmetal
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Jesus. I feel like I've played the hell out of it and I'm less than 70%.

Rabb
05-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Jesus. I feel like I've played the hell out of it and I'm less than 70%.

it's such a great game too...I am only at like 23% and I have lost a lot of sleep playing

no-pseudo-fan
05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I just started. I am having a lot of fun with it. Trying to get things going.

Los Broncos
05-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Picked up the game this weekend. Awesome game, the dialog is funny, love the music and graffix are sweet.

I was fooled by a woman to stop and help her. I knocked her off my horse and fired a warning shot. Let her run far away then pulled out the 30/30 and bam, head shot.

Killed a bunch of wildlife, a guy was chasing a bear and when he stopped to skin it I shot him and took it.

Took down a bunch of bandits in a canyon, once you get the headshots down it's prettY easy.

My honor is way up and the poker is addicting for sure.

The music makes it feel like The good the bad and the ugly and For a few dollars more.

Archer81
05-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Just got into Mexico. (Took a break for a few days). Mexico looks alot like Arizona. Lots of red sandstone everywhere. And Bobcats are some mean bastards.

Quoydogs
05-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Just got into Mexico. (Took a break for a few days). Mexico looks alot like Arizona. Lots of red sandstone everywhere. And Bobcats are some mean bastards.

I got there last night. Well 5am this morning. Anyways how do you get to tall tress? I need to kill 3 bears with 1 shot ( can't find them ) 3 elk and 3 boar got the boar but elk? I think this all come down to the tall trees.

Do you get this after Mexico?

Baba Booey
05-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Just finished the story. Wow.

Archer81
05-31-2010, 11:19 PM
I got there last night. Well 5am this morning. Anyways how do you get to tall tress? I need to kill 3 bears with 1 shot ( can't find them ) 3 elk and 3 boar got the boar but elk? I think this all come down to the tall trees.

I have a feeling the Elk and Boar are either in the foothills or close to the mountains. Have not been around tall trees yet. Just have not made it that far north yet.

Baba Booey
05-31-2010, 11:19 PM

Tall Trees is in the northeast, above the McFarlane Ranch and to the West of Blackwater.

Quoydogs
05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Tall Trees is in the northeast, above the McFarlane Ranch and to the West of Blackwater.

I know where it is at, I was curios how you unlock it. Do you unlock it after Mexico ?

Baba Booey
06-01-2010, 12:05 AM
I know where it is at, I was curios how you unlock it. Do you unlock it after Mexico ?

Yeah, after you go to Blackwater.

v2micca
06-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Did anyone else spend a lot of time at the Poker tables in this game. I feel like half the time I was playing the single player mission I was playing Texas Hold-em.....strangely addictive.

As for the ending of the game.....wow....just wow. One of my biggest issues with GTA 4 was that the tone was so inconsistent, like it didn't know if it wanted to be a goofy satire or a heavy melodrama. Red Dead Redemption doesn't have that issue as it knows it is a classic Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western through and through.

And (potential spoiler) to make sure you get the final ending, after the last mission make certain you go into Blackwater and talk to the stranger to get one last epilogue like quest. Like I said, one of the most perfect endings I have seen in a game in a while.

Boobs McGee
06-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Yep, after you complete mexico you get to head up there.

This game was friggin SWEET!!!! I just finished yesterday, ****in john marston. Bad ass. Makin tough choices right up to the end of the game.

I've only got a few more poker games to win, and i SHOULD have everything unlocked. It's really nice, once you complete the sharpshooter/hunter/gatherer challenges, you never have to buy medicine again.

Time to start workin on multiplayer!

Pontius Pirate
06-02-2010, 03:12 PM
With the caveat that I have not read all the comments, I will say (and I'm probably in the minority here) that this game is very, very boring.

Beautiful? Yes.

But boring as hell. All the missions are repetitive / redundant, the side-missions are lame, the mini-games (horse-shoes, liars dice, shooting birds out of the air) are boring, and the mechanics are wonky as hell.

Oh, so and so needs to be rescued. Great. I will get on my horse and go blast everyone (easily) and untie this random.

Oh, I need to use a gatling gun to mow down this horde of enemies. How original - and yet HOW EASY! Great.

Oh, I need to find gold to buy better guns. How original - and yet HOW EASY! Great.

Seriously, this game is slower (albeit more beautiful) and lamer version of GTA

Sir_Robin
06-02-2010, 04:50 PM
With the caveat that I have not read all the comments, I will say (and I'm probably in the minority here) that this game is very, very boring.

Beautiful? Yes.

But boring as hell. All the missions are repetitive / redundant, the side-missions are lame, the mini-games (horse-shoes, liars dice, shooting birds out of the air) are boring, and the mechanics are wonky as hell.

Oh, so and so needs to be rescued. Great. I will get on my horse and go blast everyone (easily) and untie this random.

Oh, I need to use a gatling gun to mow down this horde of enemies. How original - and yet HOW EASY! Great.

Oh, I need to find gold to buy better guns. How original - and yet HOW EASY! Great.

I can appreciate your perspective on the game. I found it enjoyable overall. As I thought it over I found I could apply your complaints to every game I've ever played with one exception. The tasks were easy overall and I've played games with more challenge. I actually appreciated this as it was a nice change of pace from games that require you to pull off a near flawless, quick execution of button mashing to get by some boss.

I'd be curious to hear what games you consider excellent.

Cosmo
06-02-2010, 05:14 PM

Beautiful? Yes.

I'm still waiting for a game to be a challenge, never owned a game that I didn't beat in a weekend or dominate consistently.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
They don't make hard games any longer. It pisses kids off.

But if you have Xbox Live, I HIGHLY recommend the challenge from Braid. One of my faves now.

Doggcow
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I can appreciate your perspective on the game. I found it enjoyable overall. As I thought it over I found I could apply your complaints to every game I've ever played with one exception. The tasks were easy overall and I've played games with more challenge. I actually appreciated this as it was a nice change of pace from games that require you to pull off a near flawless, quick execution of button mashing to get by some boss.

Please tell me what "go save so and so, go blast everyone and save this random"

and how it relates to: Madden, Area 51, Asteroids, Duke Nukem, Starcraft.

Doggcow
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm still waiting for a game to be a challenge, never owned a game that I didn't beat in a weekend or dominate consistently.

So you never owned Demon's Souls or almost any RPGs? Unless you have a ridiculous amount of time to beat games in one weekend...

Archer81
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
So you never owned Demon's Souls or almost any RPGs? Unless you have a ridiculous amount of time to beat games in one weekend...

The only FF i played was FFVII. It took me the entire summer to beat it. I spent so much time on that game...Same with Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

TheReverend
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Beautiful? Yes.

Gonna have to completely agree with this.

Boobs McGee
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM

go play the original ninja gaiden on nes and tell me how you feel ;D

Those ****ing birds made me have my first rage out from video games haha

Archer81
06-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Fester's Quest...that game man...or Ghostbusters on NES...Jesus...Christ.

TheReverend
06-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Fester's Quest...that game man...or Ghostbusters on NES...Jesus...Christ.

Lol, I was awesome at that one. The trick is figuring out how the hell to play it. The instruction manual was fairly non-existant.

Kid Icarus might be the single hardest game I've ever played. That was ****ing bull****.

DB-Freak
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Rockstar games are ****. It's the same **** over and over again.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm having a good time with Dante's Inferno. It's not terribly difficult, either, but it's definitely different. The new Splinter Cell was far too easy, as well.

no-pseudo-fan
06-03-2010, 09:17 AM
What happen to games like the Original Metroid? or the Legand of Zelda.

Cosmo
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Old school games were hard, that's what I was trying to say, nothing new is hard. Try the original Pitfall.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Pitfall? F that. Try ET.

Hell, even Pacman is stressful.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
If you played old school games growing up, that's why everything seems so easy these days. You've paid your dues. Likewise, kids that only know Xbox, PS2,etc. are likely to quit old NES and SNES games after 5 minutes.

Chris
06-03-2010, 09:40 AM
That's because gamers that aren't hardcore are less interested in challenge these days. Games today are more about the experience of playing through because they can entertain you consistently without having to use difficulty to lengthen the experience. High difficulty is sometimes also viewed by devs as a barrier to entry.

That said, I realise there's a place for genuine difficulty but that's fast becoming a niche. If you want difficulty, go Japanese. They still make a lot of games like it's 1995 (try Demon Souls).

ghwk
06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
No matter how many asteroids I blew up more and more just kept coming and coming...

Los Broncos
06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I had the hardest time trying to lasso horses, finally got it down.

I hang out playing poker to much and not enough on the main story line.

Pontius Pirate
06-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Fallout 3 is a game that is both beautiful AND fun (and challenging). In comparison, RDR is beautiful but boring.

Exploring in FO3 is actually nerve wracking, and you better make sure you are skilled-up, have ammo, know where you're going, and can plot your escape. Also, the characters you come across in FO3 are less tacked-on (i.e. have their own narrative and are not just there to put you on a side-quest that simply involves killing a bunch of people and releasing someone who is hog-tied).

In comparison, exploring in RDR is repetitive and not exciting at all. I get on my horse and just go blindly flying through the landscape, not at all worried about some bad guys who might overpower me, because they can't. If I see a red dot on the map I pull up the auto aim and blast away and they are gone easily.

Could I do it without auto-aim while still having fun? I would say without the auto-aim it would just be more frustrating.

Meanwhile, the VATS system in FO3 (which could be compared to auto-aim) is actually a fun & strategic aspect of the game.

Another game that blows away RDR in my opinion is Mass Effect 2. In ME2, I actually care about the characters. It's a relatively easy game, like RDR (and beautiful), but it's more immersive.

Killericon
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Just finished. I don't know if I've ever played a better game.

As a side note, no game has used gameplay to evoke emotion better singe MGS3.

Los Broncos
06-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I love all the killing I've been doing lately, cant **** with my shotty.

And I could hit a bird in the eye flying with that lever action.