PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Tebow is not starting to begin the season, who is?

montrose
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Back in March, I conucted a poll of the Mane in which 65% believed Orton would retain his starting position over Quinn (http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90010). Since then, with the drafting of Tebow, I've noticed a bit of change here on the Mane and across town. Prior to the draft there seemed to be a feeling that Orton was solid in his first year of the system and he could be even better in year two. But following the drafting of Tebow there has not only been pure Orton-hate, but I've read at least a few posts and spoken to a few people locally that think Orton should/could be dealt while Quinn would start until Tebow is ready. So I ask, assuming Tebow does not begin the season as starter - which scenerio are you in line with to begin the season in terms of what you want and what you expect to happen?

24champ
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Orton is the starter, he's not going anywhere unless some team blows the Broncos front office away with an offer. There's two Quarterbacks in Quinn and Tebow that we have not seen handle McD's offense in a live game. Let's see what they can do first before we do anything with Orton.

We don't need to rush things here, let them fight it out and earn it.

HAT
05-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd prefer Orton but if Quinn beats him out....Fine. Trading either would be fairly dumb though IMO.

bowtown
05-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Didn't see the Brandstater option.

montrose
05-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Orton is the starter, he's not going anywhere unless some team blows the Broncos front office away with an offer. There's two Quarterbacks in Quinn and Tebow that we have not seen handle McD's offense in a live game. Let's see what they can do first before we do anything with Orton.

We don't need to rush things here, let them fight it out and earn it.

I totally agree, in fact I believe Orton is a MUCH better QB in this system, right now than any of our other options. However, it just seems that, for whatever reason, Tebow's selection just further spawned people wanting Orton out of town by any means necessary - as if the guy couldn't complete a pass. Not sold on him as a big-time, SB caliber QB? I get it. Acting as if he's so incompetent the team wins in spite of him - that I dont get.

Tombstone RJ
05-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Back in March, I conucted a poll of the Mane in which 65% believed Orton would retain his starting position over Quinn (http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90010). Since then, with the drafting of Tebow, I've noticed a bit of change here on the Mane and across town. Prior to the draft there seemed to be a feeling that Orton was solid in his first year of the system and he could be even better in year two. But following the drafting of Tebow there has not only been pure Orton-hate, but I've read at least a few posts and spoken to a few people locally that think Orton should/could be dealt while Quinn would start until Tebow is ready. So I ask, assuming Tebow does not begin the season as starter - which scenerio are you in line with to begin the season in terms of what you want and what you expect to happen?

you are pretty acute at diagnosing the state o'the mane...

Taco John
05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I want whoever can win the job to start. I couldn't care less which one it is, so long as they give us the best chance to win. At this moment, I guess that's Orton for me.

SoCalBronco
05-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Whichever of those two that is the least crappy.

no-pseudo-fan
05-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I am not a Quinn fan, but I really think that he starts the season as the Broncos QB.

OCBronco
05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I've thought that this situation is analogous to the Bledsoe situation in New England in a number of ways. Like Bledsoe, Orton is a guy who wins just enough games to keep his job. He also is a statue, just like Bledsoe. And he gets hurt enough to be a problem, just like Bledsoe. (Bledsoe had a better arm, I admit.) I figure the job is Orton's until Quinn and/or Tebow can learn enough behind him. Then at the first injury, Orton probably loses his job just like Bledsoe did.

Archer81
05-09-2010, 11:08 PM
As of today, Orton.

Depending on how things go this summer...could remain Orton, could be Quinn, could be Tebow.

:Broncos:

extralife
05-09-2010, 11:20 PM
As of today, Orton.

Depending on how things go this summer...could remain Orton, could be Quinn, could be Tebow.

Pretty sure one of those is ruled out in the thread title, chief.

BlaK-Argentina
05-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I voted Orton but I, like Taco, could care less who it is as long as he's the right choice. Between Orton and Quinn, I like Orton the person a hell of a lot more but I'm not so sure Quinn can't do what Orton does and do it better.

So I guess it's Orton for me RIGHT NOW but this whole situation is crazy. And the season is still four months away!!

listopencil
05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I think Orton starts based on experience and "game manager" ability. I would assume that if Quinn were the kind of QB that could come in and immediately take over from Orton we wouldn't have been able to get him.

Mr. Trout
05-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I wonder what Tebow would think of this thread. How dare someone imply that Tebow will not start the season opener. hahaha

Atwater His Ass
05-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Don't really care as I don't see either having the ability to win a Super Bowl for us. Whatever one sucks less in training camp / pre-season and is able to buy Tebow the needed time to develop. Hopefully they both don't suck so bad that Tebow ends up starting. That would be horrible.

strafen
05-09-2010, 11:59 PM
I'd say Quinn.
Let me ask you this question...
Assuming that this would be the first year in the Broncos offense for both Quinn and Orton. First timers both, forget that Orton played last year. With the understanding that Mcdaniels would tailor his offense to fit Quinn and Orton's abilities, which one would you feel more comfortable with in leading our offense under the McDaniels tutoring?
I'd say Quinn hands down. He has better physical skills than Orton any day, and if Quinn was to start from scratch this year, knowing that Quinn is already familiar with our offense, there's no question in my mind that he would be by far the better choice...

Archer81
05-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Pretty sure one of those is ruled out in the thread title, chief.

Psh. Rules.

fontaine
05-10-2010, 04:19 AM
I would be disapointed if Orton continues to start. I like the way he played for the team last year but the guy is severely limited.

If Orton is starting for all of the season then it pretty much means guys like Quinn and Tebow who we paid so much for are too crappy to beat out a very good backup QB.

Crushaholic
05-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Orton will have the first opportunity at the job. And, he should. IMO, the meltdown in the second half of the season had more to do with the breakdown on defense, rather than anything Orton and the offense did...

FireFly
05-10-2010, 05:18 AM
I want Quinn to start. I actually think he has the potential to be the best of all of them.

strafen
05-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Orton will have the first opportunity at the job. And, he should. IMO, the meltdown in the second half of the season had more to do with the breakdown on defense, rather than anything Orton and the offense did...Both had part in the meltdown...
Our offense wasn't stellar either. Both Orton's and Moreno's numbers on the second half were dismal...
This just confirms what everybody else is saying. Orton has to have a stellar defense around him to be able to win in the NFL.
Any other way, and he's doomed...

Popps
05-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I want whoever can win the job to start. I couldn't care less which one it is, so long as they give us the best chance to win. At this moment, I guess that's Orton for me.

I ****ing hate agreeing with Taco so much lately.

This sucks.

BroncoSojia
05-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Don't really care as I don't see either having the ability to win a Super Bowl for us. Whatever one sucks less in training camp / pre-season and is able to buy Tebow the needed time to develop. Hopefully they both don't suck so bad that Tebow ends up starting. That would be horrible.

this

tsiguy96
05-10-2010, 08:24 AM
curious to see how brandstater fits in all of this. i think the QB competition will go into the season, well have a few different QBs start this year for various reasons.

PRBronco
05-10-2010, 08:34 AM
I think Orton will start, but not the whole season, I think he gets hurt again and Quinn takes over and doesn't relinquish it. However, I haven't seen Quinn play for us yet, so I can't say if I want him to start instead of Orton.

Jason in LA
05-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I hope Quinn can pick up the offense quickly so he can have a fair chance at winning the job. I really don't want to see another year with Orton. At this point it's really a waste of time.

DenverBrit
05-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Whoever wins the job.

GoHAM
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking Orton gets traded at some point and Quinn starts. I'd prefer to keep Orton and let him start the season.

I'd also not rule out Tebow "starting" the game in Jacksonville with some sort of Wild Horses play. You know McD would love to do that just to piss off all the experts who said Tebow won't see the field this year, what a horrible pick etc.

Cito Pelon
05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Orton is a solid starter, has some upside.

oubronco
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
With all this Tebow talk it's going to be pretty funny when he don't do shyt in the NFL

Tombstone RJ
05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
With all this Tebow talk it's going to be pretty funny when he don't do shyt in the NFL

I'm sure a fan like you would love that. You're a fan, only if the Broncos are made the way you want them to be made, right?

If Tebow sucks, then you'll be able to sleep at night knowing you told everyone you were right. Because, it's not really about the Broncos, it's all about fans being right in their opinions of the Broncos. Right? Right!

BlaK-Argentina
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks for letting us know. We will make sure to forget all about him now. :approve:

I don't see how that would be funny to any Broncos fan.

watermock
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Is it too late to keep our picks used for Tebow and get McCoy in the late second??

Inkana7
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Is it too late to keep our picks used for Tebow and get McCoy in the late second??

Why would we reach for a 3rd round QB?

TheReverend
05-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I wear this shirt as I read this thread:

http://allianceqblog.qaaqblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/look_like_someone_who_cares.jpg

watermock
05-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Because Cleveland was going to take him in the early 3rd.

Inkana7
05-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Because Cleveland was going to take him in the early 3rd.

Cleveland had no intention of taking him until he was there when they picked for the 2nd time in the 3rd. No one wanted McCoy.

watermock
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Cleveland had no intention of taking him until he was there when they picked for the 2nd time in the 3rd. No one wanted McCoy.

After getting rid of both Quinn AND Anderson?

Whatever, I guess we stole Tebow out from them in the first huh. We have gotten B grades the last 2 years because we have traded half of our playmakers.

That's fine, we had maybe a good draft, but we had alot of supposed ammo, if it wasn't damaged goods.

We traded alot of picks for Quinn and Tebow.

oubronco
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm sure a fan like you would love that. You're a fan, only if the Broncos are made the way you want them to be made, right?

If Tebow sucks, then you'll be able to sleep at night knowing you told everyone you were right. Because, it's not really about the Broncos, it's all about fans being right in their opinions of the Broncos. Right? Right!

No I just think he's being made out to be WAY more than he is and being compared to great NFL qb's is assinine

bowtown
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
After getting rid of both Quinn AND Anderson?

Whatever, I guess we stole Tebow out from them in the first huh. We have gotten B grades the last 2 years because we have traded half of our playmakers.

That's fine, we had maybe a good draft, but we had alot of supposed ammo, if it wasn't damaged goods.

We traded alot of picks for Quinn and Tebow.

We traded a 6th round pick in next year's draft for Quinn.

watermock
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
We traded a 6th round pick in next year's draft for Quinn.

Umm, no.

We traded Hillis, (whatever) a 6th and a 7th.

Who was going to take snaps for Cleveland? I don't care, but in a deep draft, Tebow vs. McCoy was basically a tossup.

The biggest risk IMO is Bradford with his shoulder at #1 in the same spread all 3 ran.

bowtown
05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Umm, no.

We traded Hillis, (whatever) a 6th and a 7th.

Who was going to take snaps for Cleveland? I don't care, but in a deep draft, Tebow vs. McCoy was basically a tossup.

The biggest risk IMO is Bradford with his shoulder at #1 in the same spread all 3 ran.

Yes I realize we traded Hillis, but you were speaking specifically about picks we traded away in this deep draft. We didn't trade away any picks in this deep draft for Quinn. We traded a 6th in 2011 and a late conditional in 2012.

Cito Pelon
05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Looks like people have confidence in Orton.

watermock
05-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes I realize we traded Hillis, but you were speaking specifically about picks we traded away in this deep draft. We didn't trade away any picks in this deep draft for Quinn. We traded a 6th in 2011 and a late conditional in 2012.

Your still wrong about a player and 2 picks, plus the 3 we moved up for Tebow, plus of course, discounting trading the #14 for Smith AND a second to Miami in '12 for BM in an unknow year.

No, I assumed you knew about Hillis, but since he's been bacially forgotten with Smith, the picks for Quinn, Marshall and Sheff,.

We had like 7 picks from the 06 draft, if you even consider Quinn a 3rd.

Point is, we traded everthing from 06 but Doom, and he's unsigned for good reason. He's a pass rusher/light DE..

But whatever, the point is we lost alot of playmakers to trade, and it should be no surprise we were able to move around.

Look at the Bears.

I don't think the 09 draft was worth crap, and we dumped what was left of the DL.

OLB is a huge ? and the secondary is ancient.

This is a 8-8, 10-6 team go look at vegas.

And the reason we might go 10-6 is we are playing the 2 weakest divisions.

Cito Pelon
05-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Mock is kindhearted to dogs, so it's hard to dislike him.

watermock
05-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Mock is kindhearted to dogs, so it's hard to dislike him.

I'm humane to dogs. I put up with dogs. Most ar either crap masters or simply annoying.

Anyway, it's an idiotic comment. If I had a farm, I'd have a dog.

colonelbeef
05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
We know what Orton is. He is a statue with a uniform on. At least there is some unknown with Brady Quinn, maybe he surprises and shows some maturity and decision making to go along with his physical skills.

watermock
05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Quinn was traded for to get rid of Hillis, it was a good trade because Beavis wasn't on board.

Same goes with Scheff, I mean really, paying Graham 10 million then drafting Quinn?

Hello 4 wide.

At this point, the rules are so tilted towards pass, unless your runng clock it's a sham.

Taco John
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Looks like people have confidence in Orton.

Of our options, he's probably the best one. I can't say that I personally have any faith that we could win a Superbowl with Orton.

Inkana7
05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Quinn was traded for to get rid of Hillis, it was a good trade because Beavis wasn't on board.

Ah, yes, the old "Subtraction by Addition" approach.

Dedhed
05-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Orton is a solid starter, has some upside.

This is true, but he doesn't have nearly the upside of the other two, imo.

watermock
05-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Ah, yes, the old "Subtraction by Addition" approach.

That seems to be "The Beavis Method", yes of course, in reverse....

watermock
05-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I see Beavis replacing Gruden in 2 years.

Both are cheaters.

Inkana7
05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I see Beavis replacing Gruden in 2 years.

Both are cheaters.

wtf?

FireFly
05-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Quinn, imo, with the right coaching could be one of the better QB's in the league. He has the tools he just needs to be guided in how to best make use of them

YES I'm that high on Quinn's upside

watermock
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Gruden had 4 QB's too, and couldn't do crap.

He was on ESPN playing God...loved Teebow...

He loved Simms and Griese too.

watermock
05-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Quinn, imo, with the right coaching could be one of the better QB's in the league. He has the tools he just needs to be guided in how to best make use of them

YES I'm that high on Quinn's upside

Quinn is by far the best prospect.

Circle Orange
05-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Didn't see the Brandstater option.

With that terrible haircut? No way. :afro:

The nod goes to Quinn, with Tebow as a third down slash/tight end/slash/blocking wideout/slash/wedge buster.