PDA

View Full Version : OT: Shanghai Expo 2010 - USA

shakenbake
05-09-2010, 03:33 AM
So living here in Shanghai, I have been really looking forward to the World Expo. Last night I had my first opportunity to visit and have to say it is really amazing. Almost every country in the world (including N. Korea) has some sort of representation at Expo.

However, I have to say I am really disappointed in what I have seen in regards to our presence here. While I haven't been inside yet, from the outside our pavilion looks like a large shopping mall/ car dealership. This is at an event where most countries have commissioned some of the most famous architects from around the world to develop their designs.

I have heard from others who have actually been inside that the show is lame and more like one large commercial for the corporate sponsors of the pavilion rather than a true look at what America stands for and is. Again, I just think we really missed the boat here. They are expecting more than 70 million Chinese to visit and that is the impression that we will be leaving in their minds about who we are and what we stand for.

Another thing I found rather disappointing was attending a show from S. Korea. It started out great with these amazing drummers doing a show and then from that moved on to a couple of S. Korean kids coming out and doing Beat Box. At one point one of the guys doing the beat boxing and rapping...says yea N****** etc etc.

Is this really the image we are giving the world? Shopping malls, commercials and rap music with derogatory words? Can't we and shouldn't we do better and presenting who we are and what we stand for?

Ratboy
05-09-2010, 04:12 AM
South Koreans simply hate black people.

Ratboy
05-09-2010, 04:14 AM
How do you like living in China?

Kaylore
05-09-2010, 07:43 AM
South Koreans simply hate black people.

That an their "rap artists" don't speak English but since rap, especially American rap, is so popular they copy a lot of what they hear having no idea whatsoever what they are actually saying. I have an old CD that had a song by a group called S#ARP somewhere. There's lines where they just say random stuff like "black civic hatch back!" And "together forever much love to endeavor!" Its all nonsense. Koreans are always trying to get their music groups to spread to Japan, China, Thailand so it makes sense they would send one there.

Remember also that the expo is unknown to Americans and so there isn't a great deal of demand to represent. Its basically the new version of the world's fair but with more emphasis on culture and technology.

shakenbake
05-09-2010, 07:59 AM
That an their "rap artists" don't speak English but since rap, especially American rap, is so popular they copy a lot of what they hear having no idea whatsoever what they are actually saying. I have an old CD that had a song by a group called S#ARP somewhere. There's lines where they just say random stuff like "black civic hatch back!" And "together forever much love to endeavor!" Its all nonsense. Koreans are always trying to get their music groups to spread to Japan, China, Thailand so it makes sense they would send one there.

Remember also that the expo is unknown to Americans and so there isn't a great deal of demand to represent. Its basically the new version of the world's fair but with more emphasis on culture and technology.

Again I understand that they have no idea what they are saying and I am not blaming them whatsoever. It is just sad that is what they are taking from our culture and not the better parts.

I also understand that EXPO isn't a "known" commodity in the US, however it was a 60 million dollar project, and that is what we put together? We should be better than that for 60 M.

TheReverend
05-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Anyone else glad we didn't bother to go to great lengths and expenses to have leading architects design a cliffs notes of our image for an obsolete tradition?

shakenbake
05-09-2010, 08:07 AM
How do you like living in China?

I really like it here! I have plans to head back to the US anytime in the near future.

ShutDownPoster
05-09-2010, 06:33 PM
whoaaaaaaaaaaa....dont let me start.

I have been living in Shanghai for almost 6 years now. I'm a creative director and work at a communications agency. From first hand experience I've had the 'displeasure' of working on many EXPO and EXPO related projects. Years ago I thought EXPO would be an exciting thing, but after being directly involved it's an absolute disappointment. It's an entire logistics nightmare and Chinese have no idea whatsoever as to what they are doing. The entire site is massive and there is inadequate shade and cooling areas, and no public tram system to link the areas.

Sure they spent a lot of 'money' unfortunately with the entirely corrupt system, a great deal of that cash went into the old fat cats pockets. As for the US Pavilion, yes its a boring piece of crap, inside is even worse - looks and feels like a campus registrar.

Having said that, I love living in Shanghai it's an exciting city and I have made many friends here and also met my wife here and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon - but the EXPO is definitely craptastic!

extralife
05-09-2010, 06:43 PM
While I haven't been inside yet, from the outside our pavilion looks like a large shopping mall/ car dealership.

I have heard from others who have actually been inside that the show is lame and more like one large commercial for the corporate sponsors of the pavilion rather than a true look at what America stands for and is

I dunno, sounds like America to me

Beantown Bronco
05-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Shanghai Expo?

It's no Stark Expo.

theAPAOps5
05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I am glad the US didn't commission some lame Starchitect (yes that is a word for overrated architects) to make a lame exhibit for an antiquated expo.