PDA

View Full Version : JaMarcus Russell Pre-Draft Hype

cmhargrove
05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Pretty funny stuff here, from SI.com. This has all the pre-draft analysis from the 2007 draft about Russell. Good times...

1. With the benefit of hindsight, we look back on what the experts said about LSU's JaMarcus Russell heading into the 2007 NFL Draft. The Oakland Raiders selected Russell with the No. 1 pick only to waive him three years later.
"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."
-- ESPN's Todd McShay

2. "I think JaMarcus Russell to the Raiders scares me. I would have done the exact same thing Oakland did, to be sure. But the formula for early success is a bad one there. So much pressure on him to perform well early, with such a porous offensive line, and who knows what at wideout."
-- SI's Peter King

3. "JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."
-- ESPN's Mel Kiper

4. "The workout Russell had was Star Wars. It was unbelievable."
Then-Tampa Bay Bucs coach Jon Gruden

5. "If you had to choose a quarterback, who would you pick, JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Both have strengths and glaring weaknesses. It goes down to which guy is most coachable. I might take Quinn for that reason. But, pure skill with a ton of work to do, it would be Russell. If you put a gun to my head, I would pick Russell. But he comes with a lot of risk."
-- ESPN's Merril Hoge

6. "He's like a video game. There's not a throw he can't make and there's some he can make I'm not sure anyone else can make. That's exciting. But how many times does that happen in a game, making those long throws. Maybe twice in 16 games. I know seeing someone do that is a scout's dream, but it doesn't happen much. ... He seems very first class, very easy to get along with. No doubt he was a great leader [at LSU]. That's why everybody wants him now."
-- Then-Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin

7. "This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."
-- NFL Network's Mike Mayock

8. "I've never seen a kid that big who can sit there and just have people hanging on him and make the throws he can make. He reminds me a little bit of Daunte Culpepper, but a little bigger. I'm sure he's going to continue to be a great player."
-- Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak

9. "If you asked me who has the most upside, I would say Russell. If the question is who is going to be best the next three years, I'd say it's [Brady] Quinn."
-- NFL Draft Advisor Gil Brandt

10. "The film that we've watched has impressed more and more. The guy can wing it but seems to have that real feel for the game, and a presence. He looks like he could come into any system and be ready.''
-- Then-Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli

11. "He has a cannon for an arm, can make all the throws and has great size. Heck, he looks like a tackle playing quarterback. I just don't see the pinpoint passing, the great timing of the throws or his feel for the pocket. He's careless with the ball, at times, and he struggled against the better college defenses. Can he develop into a quality NFL quarterback? You bet. Would I take him with the first overall pick? No way. As of now, I have him rated at the 20th-best player."
-- CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco

12. "JaMarcus Russell, my man. The Raiders finally get their big arm. And he's a good kid, strong kid, smart kid. He'll be a big-time player. If I'm the Raiders, that's who I pick. That's pretty easy."
-- FOX's Terry Bradshaw

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.12.html#ixzz0nNeNOOmE
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Popps
05-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Wow.

Well, the raiders always **** it up... but it's not like they were the only people out there who thought the kid was talented.

What a disaster.

Will anyone even pick him up? I mean, normally it would be the Raiders, but I'm mostly ruling them out...

Ugly Duck
05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Well, the raiders always **** it up...

Its true... he's a real talent but the Raider coaching sucked so much that Russell looked bad. Lookit this from CBSSports: Sat, 08 May 2010 07:58:40 -0400 The Indianapolis Colts could be interested in free-agent QB JaMarcus Russell (Raiders), according to CBSSports.com.

They plan to groom him as the next Peyton. Denver should sign Russell first just to keep yet another top talent QB from suiting up as a Colt.

OABB
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Its true... he's a real talent but the Raider coaching sucked so much that Russell looked bad. Lookit this from CBSSports: Sat, 08 May 2010 07:58:40 -0400 The Indianapolis Colts could be interested in free-agent QB JaMarcus Russell (Raiders), according to CBSSports.com.

They plan to groom him as the next Peyton. Denver should sign Russell first just to keep yet another top talent QB from suiting up as a Colt.

That interest from indy is for nose tackle though.

broncosteven
05-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Actually the guy has a rocket arm, can make all the power throws, can run and is hard to bring down.

His problem is motivation. He never had any motivation as a pro nor has he ever been accountable for his actions or lack thereof.

If he really wanted to be a good NFL QB and was motivated I think he would have been worth the pick and his contract. I doubt he wants to work that hard ever and I am guessing he knocks around until they finally give up on him then he gets busted a couple years later for trying to make some "easy" money selling drugs like that Cowboy OL who's name escapes me.

Baba Booey
05-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Hahahahahahaahah

Tombstone RJ
05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
AFCW has the 2 biggest busts in NFL draft history at the QB position: Russell and Leaf. Cassel is going to be the biggest FA QB bust in NFL history. So, KC has that going for them.

ton80
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
The 1st time I heard him open his mouth, I knew he would be a bust. No one that stupid can play QB at the NFL level.

Dukes
05-09-2010, 01:08 AM
This is what happens when people become enamored with physical ability over the "intangibles" a person brings. All the ablility in the world thrown away because he never put any effort into it. If they would have done more homework on who Russell really is they probaby would never have thought so highly of him.

GreatBronco16
05-09-2010, 07:17 AM
It's not like he was really all that great at LSU either. He had a good game in the Championship game, and that is about it for his time there. This guy got so much hype it wasn't even funny. He is dumber than a box of rocks and that has not changed.

loborugger
05-09-2010, 08:05 AM
"If you had to choose a quarterback, who would you pick, JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Both have strengths and glaring weaknesses. It goes down to which guy is most coachable. I might take Quinn for that reason. But, pure skill with a ton of work to do, it would be Russell. If you put a gun to my head, I would pick Russell. But he comes with a lot of risk."
-- ESPN's Merril Hoge

Hindsight being 20/20, Hoge has the best comment on the list. Of course, with the revolving door of coaches and piss poor management that exemplifies the modern Raiders, its no wonder JaHamsandwich failed.

The Moops
05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I still say this kid deserves another chance . . . with a REAL NFL team . . . not the pathetic Raiders where he had to endure the worst of every thing. Sure, he needs to grow up and take responsibility for himself. But he didn't have the best people surrounding him . . .

vindico
05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
He deserves another chance. Imagine what Josh could do with him! He's a rare specimen. He's bigger than most ****ing linebackers blitzing him. I say bring him in! He's probably bigger than most defensive ends trying to bring him down!

snowspot66
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
He deserves another chance. Imagine what Josh could do with him! He's a rare specimen. He's bigger than most ****ing linebackers blitzing him. I say bring him in! He's probably bigger than most defensive ends trying to bring him down!

No.

55CrushEm
05-11-2010, 08:08 AM
"If you had to choose a quarterback, who would you pick, JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Both have strengths and glaring weaknesses. It goes down to which guy is most coachable. I might take Quinn for that reason. But, pure skill with a ton of work to do, it would be Russell. If you put a gun to my head, I would pick Russell. But he comes with a lot of risk."
-- ESPN's Merril Hoge

Hindsight being 20/20, Hoge has the best comment on the list. Of course, with the revolving door of coaches and piss poor management that exemplifies the modern Raiders, its no wonder JaHamsandwich failed.

Yes, Hoge did have one of the 2 best (accurate) comments on that list. The other was, of course, Mike Mayock.....

"This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid WANTS to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."-- NFL Network's Mike Mayock

tsiguy96
05-11-2010, 08:13 AM

thats why he went 1 in the draft and he was worst qb in the nfl. get too stuck on his physical abilities and dont realize he is just a bad qb

Smiling Assassin27
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
talent alone will not translate into success. he could have holmgren, weis, shanny, and bill walsh coaching him but if he either lacks the intelligence to learn and implement a pro-style offense or lacks the desire to distinguish himself as an elite qb, it won't matter. if he lacks the mental capacity and/or intestinal fortitude, he'll fail wherever he goes. face it, the guy is rohan davey part two.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Funny, didn't remember so many people thinking he would be great.

King's comments were how I recalled most people describing him, scary to pick the guy but at the same time he was someone you had to take.

tsiguy96
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
talent alone will not translate into success. he could have holmgren, weis, shanny, and bill walsh coaching him but if he either lacks the intelligence to learn and implement a pro-style offense or lacks the desire to distinguish himself as an elite qb, it won't matter. if he lacks the mental capacity and/or intestinal fortitude, he'll fail wherever he goes. face it, the guy is rohan davey part two.

exactly, which is why im curious what another team is thinking if they sign him. he doesnt WANT to be there.

Kaylore
05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Funny, didn't remember so many people thinking he would be great.

King's comments were how I recalled most people describing him, scary to pick the guy but at the same time he was someone you had to take.

That was my recollection. I was actually in a debate with a buddy last night and he was reminding me why Leaf was a bigger bust. The consensus at the time was that Manning was a watered down Leaf and Leaf was considered the better prospect. People went back and forth on both, but at least of the prognosticators felt Leaf would be mega awesome.

Not so much with Russell. Everyone pretty much knew he was a boom or bust player, and going to Oakland immediately suggested Bust.