PDA

View Full Version : Elway hoping to "Get more connected"

Smilin Assassin
05-07-2010, 10:59 AM
John Elway has no immediate plans to get into coaching.

In fact, after competing in the Colorado Golf Association 4-Ball tournament in Westminster on Tuesday, he called it something he can “always fall back on.”

In the meantime, the Hall-of-Fame quarterback is hoping to be seen a little more often around Dove Valley, helping out the Broncos any way he can while “on the outside looking in.”

“I’m hoping to get to know Tim (Tebow), and if he’s got questions I’d love to be able to help him out, as well as Kyle (Orton) and Brady (Quinn),” Elway told a group of reporters in a sit-down interview. “That’s kind of what I’ve missed is that connection, so I’m hoping to get more connected.”

After speaking to parents and students in the “Teaming up to Take Charge of Asthma” event at Montbello High School on Wednesday, Head Coach Josh McDaniels couldn’t help but smile when he heard Elway’s plans to get more involved.

“John Elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” McDaniels said. “Anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with John and I will continue to have a relationship with John. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

“What he’s been able to accomplish in his career I think is a great influence for some of our younger players and even our veteran players that have been in the league for a long time,” he continued. “Any guidance that he can give any of us or any of our players is well-received.”

Elway said he has had a chance to grab lunch with the Broncos head coach several times and after getting to know him, he has concluded that the two have plenty in common.

Both have fathers who were coaches and both have been to the top of the NFL — McDaniels has three Super Bowl trophies as an assistant coach, and Elway, as every Broncos fan remembers, won back-to-back Super Bowls as a quarterback before retiring at the conclusion of the 1998 season.

“I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

“I’m excited for the Broncos and think that they have a lot of good things ahead of them.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Man-Goblin
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
In other words, "I'm married now, I have nothing to do, and I need to get out of the freaking house."

TonyR
05-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Elway said he has had a chance to grab lunch with the Broncos head coach several times and after getting to know him, he has concluded that the two have plenty in common.

“I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

“I’m excited for the Broncos and think that they have a lot of good things ahead of them.”

We all know that this is impossible. 7 must be lying. Josh McD has no people skills, everyone hates him, nobody wants to work with/for him, and he drives people away.

Pseudofool
There's lots of interesting subtext here. It seems that John felt unconnected for a long time. I wonder what the story behind that is.

I'm proud of Josh for reforging a connection to Elway; and it's gravy that they get along.

Rabb
In other words, "I'm married now, I have nothing to do, and I need to get out of the freaking house."

exactly, us mere mortals have to find refuge in the garage

John gets to go help the Broncos

I love it, and I love that this may be happening

Pseudofool
05-07-2010, 11:12 AM
We all know that this is impossible. 7 must be lying. Josh McD has no people skills, everyone hates him, nobody wants to work with/for him, and he drives people away.It's kind of glorious how thin the anti-Mcd argument is these days, given how fervently it's proponents advanced it's paper-thin arguments.

jhns
05-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I really don't want to turn this into an argument thread because the thought of Elway returning to help is a good one. The thing is, sometimes you whiney bastards make it so hard.

crush17
05-07-2010, 11:36 AM
This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

broncocalijohn
05-07-2010, 12:07 PM
With Elway coming around Dove Canyon to help Tebow, it will like God talking to Moses.

OBF1
05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

LMAO..... me too

This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list. :thumbs:

HEAV
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM
“John Elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” McDaniels said. “Anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with John and I will continue to have a relationship with John. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

But I thought McDaniels hates the Broncos past Shanny Era...

Look we all know that this is the last year for Orton as a Bronco and he could care less about hanging out with 7. But getting Tebow and Elway to form a friendship will only increase Tebow's chances of success!

gunns
05-07-2010, 01:06 PM
I love it. I've been fearful if he got back in he'd go somewhere else. His and Shanahan's relationship was strained since his retirement. I'm thrilled McD see's the advantages to this, especially with Tebow. Quinn and Orton, after all, want nothing to do with him. Stupid, stupid men.

Smiling Assassin27
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
It can't be good that McD refers to John as 'a resource' and not a friend. Maybe it'll happen in time.

dbfan21
05-07-2010, 01:11 PM
“john elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” mcdaniels said. “anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with john and i will continue to have a relationship with john. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

but i thought mcdaniels hates the broncos past shanny era...

Look we all know that this is the last year for orton as a bronco and he could care less about hanging out with 7. But getting tebow and elway to form a friendship will only increase tebow's chances of success!

+1

bowtown
05-07-2010, 01:18 PM
It can't be good that McD refers to John as 'a resource' and not a friend. Maybe it'll happen in time.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Blsx_6dnFT4/SAYoTOnhNwI/AAAAAAAAAjs/Ce4Ea9Z1TMM/s400/fail.jpg

gunns
05-07-2010, 01:21 PM

I prefer him referring to him as a resource. I hated Shanahan's "friends". Besides, he did say he had a relationship with him. That's good enough for me.

Smiling Assassin27
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I prefer him referring to him as a resource. I hated Shanahan's "friends". Besides, he did say he had a relationship with him. That's good enough for me.

Still, it'd be more newsworthy if McD, Elway, and Tebow had their own designated booth at The Soiled Dove Underground or something... :giggle:

listopencil
05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
His and Shanahan's relationship was strained since his retirement.

Could you elaborate on this please? I saw another article that hinted about Elway hanging back away from the team, that it had something to do with Shanny. I didn't know how to take it- it seemed like either they didn't get along or Elway just didn't want to step on anybody's toes by coming by.

Mr Chatterboodamn
05-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Elway!!!

baja
05-07-2010, 04:27 PM
John Elway- “I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

What have we here another gutless drunk?

baja
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
John Elway- “I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

What have we here another gutless drunk?

HEAV
05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Elway!!!

Ummm what...where...why?

Dedhed
05-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Elway seems genuinely excited about the Broncos for the first time in awhile. He's always said the PC response, but I don't think he was into helping Shanahan, and I don't think he was a fan of Cutler.

I think he's as intrigued by the prospect of Tebow as the rest of us are, and I think he may actually get involved with Tebow instead of just talking about it.

baja
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Elway seems genuinely excited about the Broncos for the first time in awhile. He's always said the PC response, but I don't think he was into helping Shanahan, and I don't think he was a fan of Cutler.

I think he's as intrigued by the prospect of Tebow as the rest of us are, and I think he may actually get involved with Tebow instead of just talking about it.

I have always felt John and Mike parted ways on poor terms.

We'll see John more involved now I bet.

Kaylore
05-07-2010, 08:18 PM

This.

gunns
05-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Could you elaborate on this please? I saw another article that hinted about Elway hanging back away from the team, that it had something to do with Shanny. I didn't know how to take it- it seemed like either they didn't get along or Elway just didn't want to step on anybody's toes by coming by.

What I heard was Shanahan was not happy with Elway when he retired for not having discussed it with him first. But it could have been something else also as I don't believe they've even talked and that seems a silly thing to hold a grudge about.

SouthStndJunkie
05-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Look out John....Ray Lewis might get his purple panties in a bunch if he sees you working with Tim Tebow.

Hamrob
05-08-2010, 07:01 AM
What I heard was Shanahan was not happy with Elway when he retired for not having discussed it with him first. But it could have been something else also as I don't believe they've even talked and that seems a silly thing to hold a grudge about.One thing that I seem to recall was that Shanny and his wife were very close to Janet Elway...and ever since John divorsed Janet...there relationship changed. Don't know any details about that...

I like what I'm seeing from McDaniels...reaching out to John, is big in my book!

bowtown
05-08-2010, 07:31 AM

“What he’s been able to accomplish in his career I think is a great influence for some of our younger players and even our veteran players that have been in the league for a long time,” he continued. “Any guidance that he can give any of us or any of our players is well-received.”

And here's what Woody Assbag wrote in his mailbag in March...

I don't think McDaniels has ever met with Elway or invited him out to practice. So there's no close relationship between Elway and the coach or the player. But then, Elway and Mike Shanahan, who were the closest of friends while Elway was playing, didn't really have much of a relationship when the quarterback's career ended.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14650469

Can we please put that fat **** out to pasture already?

Circle Orange
05-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm curious at the sudden ephiphany to get 'close' to the broncos. Like, what was stopping him before if he really wanted it? And John pretty much green stamps anything the broncos do, so I'm not reading too much into this.

And is anyone even bothering to get to know the other qbs? This is bordering on ridiculous, it's like everyone is acting like Tebow's the only one on the roster.

baja
05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
This.

Is this the voice of experience???

Smilin Assassin
05-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm curious at the sudden ephiphany to get 'close' to the broncos. Like, what was stopping him before if he really wanted it? And John pretty much green stamps anything the broncos do, so I'm not reading too much into this.

And is anyone even bothering to get to know the other qbs? This is bordering on ridiculous, it's like everyone is acting like Tebow's the only one on the roster.

I think McDaniels reaching out to John (going out to lunch, talking football, etc...) and the two of them really getting along is why he's talking about helping out.

As far as getting to know the other QBs, he said he'd be willing to offer advice to all three. Only mentioned Tebow as he was asked about him.