PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Homefield Advantages

JCMElway
05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm watching this on NFLN right now. So far, Mile High hasn't been mentioned in picks 10-3. If Mile High is not on this list I'm gonna be pissed off.

KipCorrington25
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
It shouldn't be really, we pissed away that advantage 10 years ago.

The Joker
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Prepare to be pleased.

JCMElway
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah, but it's not a current list. They're taking teams from certain eras on their home field. Playing in Denver from 1977-2000 HAS to be one of the top ten advantages.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Why do you think that is?

Do you think buildings can add that much to the character of a franchise?

JCMElway
05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
#2, I'm OK with that. I guess Lambeau vs. Mile High is certainly debateable.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
#2, I'm OK with that. I guess Lambeau vs. Mile High is certainly debateable.

I don't think so. Lambeau is ridiculous in cold weather.

Anyone know the Pack's record at home in sub-freezing weather? I remember hearing Farve has never lost in those conditions.

JCMElway
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
It is true that we seem to have lost some of the magic of the old building. However, I think it takes time to build mystique in a new stadium. That, and having Elway and the Orange Crush defense will certainly add to the wins total at home.

So, just spitballing here, is there anything the fans can do to build mystique and magic in the home stadium? Or is it just a by-product of good teams on the field?

Smilin Assassin
05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
kudos to the NFL Network for changing to Top 10 Homefield advantages at the last minute.

Was supposed to be Top Ten most feared tacklers...of which LT was high on the list. Not the right timing to honor him.

TexanBob
05-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I agree. We lost "it" when we moved to the new stadium. There's been nothing special about the new field.

As for Lambeau, I remember a playoff game the Falcons with Michael Vick won up there a few years ago at night in numbing cold. After that, I've always doubted Lambeau's "mystique".

oubronco
05-06-2010, 06:27 PM
It is true that we seem to have lost some of the magic of the old building. However, I think it takes time to build mystique in a new stadium. That, and having Elway and the Orange Crush defense will certainly add to the wins total at home.

So, just spitballing here, is there anything the fans can do to build mystique and magic in the home stadium? Or is it just a by-product of good teams on the field?

Kick the shyt outta the wine and cheese crowd :~ohyah!:

listopencil
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Make the new stadium shake like the old one. Scream so loud that you can't talk until next Sunday.

Cleo McDowell
05-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Make the new stadium shake like the old one. Scream so loud that you can't talk until next Sunday.

take a page from Iowa and paint everything in the visiting locker room pink.

Archer81
05-06-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree. We lost "it" when we moved to the new stadium. There's been nothing special about the new field.

As for Lambeau, I remember a playoff game the Falcons with Michael Vick won up there a few years ago at night in numbing cold. After that, I've always doubted Lambeau's "mystique".

It tends to help home field when you win.

The 2005 playoff game vs New England was as loud as the old mile high, and it was loud early vs the steelers.

You win, you get it back.

:Broncos:

Beantown Bronco
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM

IMO, it's almost 100% a product of what's on the field. I've seen games in both New England and Denver (both old Mile High and Invesco) and I can tell you with a good deal of certainty that Invesco on its worst day is still louder than Gillette on its best day. Just the way Gillette is designed makes it so that the energy and noise get completely lost. It's even worse than Pittsburgh's new stadium's design. Yet, in their SB years NE simply didn't lose at home. Why? Talent. Not the fans. They called it (and still do call it) the mausoleum for good reason.

Invesco on the other hand was designed with noise in mind, such that even when it's half full, it can get ridiculously loud and the noise doesn't have anywhere to disperse to. Despite this, we've had a pedestrian home record outside of 2005. Why? Talent on the field. The fans weren't all of a sudden different in 2005. Yet the home record certainly differed. Why? The talent on the field changed.

Elway's Pigeon Toes
05-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't think so. Lambeau is ridiculous in cold weather.

Anyone know the Pack's record at home in sub-freezing weather? I remember hearing Farve has never lost in those conditions.

Favre lost the NFC Championship and his last game as a Packer in those conditions.

montrose
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
With the influx of relocated fans, traveling fanbases and more nationalized-sports fan via ESPN and NFLN - I think home field advantage in general is weaker than it once was.

Dogsweat
05-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Lambeau is number one and should be.

Packer fans would never let fans of other teams---take over their stadium.

Invesco is not on the list. And it shouldn't be.

Denver does not have a home field advantage. Fans of other teams usually take over the Stadium.

Especially their hated rivals----the Raiders. It's funny, you don't see Bronco fans taking over Virus stadium in Ca.

Denver has become a Miami or San Francisco or even a Los Angeles when it comes to sports.

It is a shame.

TailgateNut
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Sorry to burst the Kumbayah bubble (it's all coming back if we win BS).

That AIN'T happening with the influx of the "New and Improved" fanbase, and the "New and Improved" stadium rules and regs.

Man-Goblin
05-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't find the Broncos' homefield advantage to be all that great anymore.

montrose
05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Sorry to burst the Kumbayah bubble (it's all coming back if we win BS).

That AIN'T happening with the influx of the "New and Improved" fanbase, and the "New and Improved" stadium rules and regs.

Considering the Broncos hosted the AFC Title Game in 2005 (you can't ask for more "winning") and the stadium was taken over Steelers fans - I would agree with you.

bronco militia
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
start going 7-1, 8-0 at home again...

TailgateNut
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Considering the Broncos hosted the AFC Title Game in 2005 (you can't ask for more "winning") and the stadium was taken over Steelers fans - I would agree with you.

On a "cold day in hell" you would have never seen that amount of opposing fans in Old Mile High. The New Dump SUCKS

Smiling Assassin27
05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
kick the shyt outta the wine and cheese crowd :~ohyah!:

+1

Peoples Champ
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I hate to say it but I agree, the games I have been to at the new stadium have been quiet for my level. I can remember the old stadium being twice as crazy.

WolfpackGuy
05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
The upper levels in the newer stadiums are farther away because of more luxury boxes and ADA regulations.

Combine those with wine and cheese crowds and you have less of a home field edge.

Que
05-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I'll tell you what happened - Super Bowl XXXII happened. Once we got a taste of a Super Bowl Championship it all went away.

1. The fair weather fans started attending games in droves
2. We stopped winning Super Bowls after XXXIII
3. We got the new stadium

Here's my theory - there is nothing else to do in Green Bay during football season. Okay, ice fish and shoot stuff. So the Packers will always have a rabid crowd because it is the only game in town. Think about teams in markets that are pleasant to actually live and recreate in. They usually don't have this huge home field advantage unless there is a roof over their heads.

Broncos? 4 pro team market. Skiing. Mountain biking. Hiking. Hunting. There are just too many other distractions. Broncomania was a religion when I grew up. A way of life. Sure, you always hoped you might win a Super Bowl some day. But we were always the underdog. It always took an act of Elway to get in. There was something noble and good about rooting for the Broncos - regardless of the eventual outcome. No matter what eventually happened each season, we took pride in having one of the most rabid fan bases in the league - not bad for a cow town right? Now, after XXXII and XXXIII? Hey man, if we're not contenders then 'meh... how are the Avs and Nuggies doing? Heard Green Mountain is riding nice... Loveland got nailed last night... totally different vibe now. Broncomania jumped the shark.

I guess that I why I like hanging on the OM so much. Reminds me of the good old days.