PDA

View Full Version : OT: Palm Pixi vs Blackberry

Br0nc0Buster
05-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I need a new phone badly and am considering getting a "smartphone" and have heard good things about the Palm Pixi, Blackberry Curve, and Blackberry Tour

So I just want some opinions about which of these is the best

Does anyone have any of these or are at least familiar with them?

Taco John
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Why the Pixi and not the Pre?

I personally have and love the Pre. I can't understand why anybody would want a pixi though. I guess some people don't like the slider. But it seems to me that having the extra screen space makes it worth it.

Br0nc0Buster
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Why the Pixi and not the Pre?

I personally have and love the Pre. I can't understand why anybody would want a pixi though. I guess some people don't like the slider. But it seems to me that having the extra screen space makes it worth it.

I guess I dont have a preference, I just know someone who has the Pixi and told me she liked it

Taco John
05-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Here's my take:

I love WebOS. I think WebOS combined with the gesture pad is one of the most elegant and powerful operating systems ever created. The ease of use on WebOS far surpasses anything out there, especially where multi-tasking is concerned. When a person uses WebOS, and moves to another device, they experience more than one moment of thinking about how much easier it is to do X, Y, or Z on WebOS.

That said, the Palm phones, IMO, are not the most elegant form factors. They're fine and reliable units, but they're a little cramped. That said, the quality of use I get out of this phone far surpasses any phone I've ever had - and that's largely due to the quality of WebOS.

I heartily recommend the Palm Pre Plus. It's a great package.

Taco John
05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
March Madness for Smart Phones:
http://www.laptopmag.com/tag.aspx?tag=March%20Smart%20Phone%20Madness

HAT
05-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Carrier?

Vz has the + model of both...Which means you can use the phone as a mobile wifi hot spot.....FREE for a limited time. In other words, if your phone is in your pocket, you can use can access it's 3G internet from your laptop. (up to 5gb/month)

Sprint doesn't have this feature but you can get homebrew apps like myTether to achieve the same thing.

AT&T is releasing pre & pixi on 5/16/10. They will be + models also and hotspot capable but no word on what At&T will charge (if anything) to access that feature. Vz started out @ $30/month (on top of data plan) but changed it to free to move phones.

As for the phones themselves, I actually like the form factor of the pixi better. I would live with a slightly smaller screen in order to not have the slider. However, the camera on the Pre is way better. I take alot of pics on the go for work so that was the deciding factor.

The bottom line is...compare them side by side & go with what suits your needs. WebOS is the absolute BEST. Forget all about RIM, Apple & Android.

HAT
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
A little OT.....

Taco, what's your take on the HP acquisition?

Looking forward to seeing what kinds of other products they can integrate with webOS but I hope they don't ever forget that it started out as phone software. They need to let Palm be Palm when it comes to phone hardware.

I will always own a Qwerty as long as they keep making them but I know there are a ton of people waiting for Palm to release a big screen, touchscreen only version.

I know alot of developers were dragging their feet with webOS because Palm's future was so unsure. Should see an explosion of apps coming now that HP acquired. Especially with how easy Palm makes it to port apps from other OS's.

Verizon screwed the pooch with their launch & the in store reps were woefully undertrained. " Can I show you a droid instead?"

I hope the AT&T launch is big. 15 minutes with webOS & I don't see how people would choose anything else. Especially non gadget geeks.

Binkythefrog
05-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Depends also what you want to use the phone for. If you want to do a lot of emailing, go RIM. There is no better email support/software out there. My wife has a Tour and it is rock solid reliable and great for her email and light browsing usage style. WebOS is much more about applications, web browsing, social networking and other features.

It was a tough decision for me between WebOS and Android, and I went with Android because of the better hardware, more apps and more customization while losing the slick GUI and ease of use of WebOS. I personally have a HTC Incredible, and while Android can be a bit clumsy, it is powerful and extremely customizable if you are willing to do a little menu digging.

As for the HP acquisition, I am excited about the future of WebOS, but I think it will be a year or two before HP releases products with WebOS, that is why I went Android for my current upgrade.. I'm also really looking forward to any potential tablets that come out running WebOS. It's a great move for Palm, as HP has the horses and money required to really develop cutting edge tech.

Cleo McDowell
05-06-2010, 09:46 PM
For business related purposes, nothing beats the blackbery *IMO*

Check out the forums at www.crackberry.com

Everything you need to know to help you make the best decision for you and has a lot of unbiased takes and reviews on all smartphones. The site is gold.

HAT
05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I bet we'll see a HPalm tablet running webOS anounced at CES next January.

As for phones.....a mysterious model 'C40' has been on the books with the FCC for a while now. Wouldn't be surprised to see new hardware by the holidays.

Taco John
05-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm optimistic about the HP acquisition. For the record, WebOS wasn't strictly designed for phones. It was designed for touch interfaces. WebOS was designed to compete with apple. I'm disappointed because WebOS is now proprietary to HP, but then again, at least it's found an interator, even if I'm not wild about HP hardware.

I was very interested in the Microsoft Courier, but since that is dead, I'm going to look serious at whatever HP brings out with a WebOS base.

ShutDownPoster
05-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I picked up an HTC Desire a couple of weeks ago. Best smartphone I ever bought. I never tried Android OS before, but now I'm completely sold. For me best combination of OS, Speed, and Design.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/desire/overview.html

jhns
05-07-2010, 06:08 AM
I have a Blackberry Curve and have no complaints. I like it but also haven't tried any other smart phones. Most of my posting here is done on the BlackBerry.

RhymesayersDU
05-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Interesting thread. I've got a BB Storm right now and am due for an upgrade. I was going to go Storm 2 (I like my Storm, although it's a polarizing phone -- a TON of people hate it with a passion) but I way have to look at Palm.

Master___Pain
05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Like Taco I have a Pre and I absolutely love the phone. I've had it since August and I use it for work and it's great. I'm in commercial real estate so I get and send a ton of emails and it works great there. As mentioned the camera is awesome and with a recent software update they added a video camera which is really nice (not great quality but good enough for capturing the kiddo) All the other wants are there. Built in GPS, great web browsing, and as mentioned the ability to have multiple apps open at one time is just awesome.

My only regret is I paid $199 for it and now they are like $50.

I highly recommend the Pre.

Drunk Monkey
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a BB sprint world edition phone 8830. My contract is up this summer and I am also looking. My question is what options does Verizon or anyone else not named AT&T have for international travlers? I need to be able to get calls while in China or europe.

btw blackberry is great for e-mail and basic business needs. browser sucks as does the apps store.

LordHelmchen
05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
For business related purposes, nothing beats the blackbery *IMO*

Check out the forums at www.crackberry.com

Everything you need to know to help you make the best decision for you and has a lot of unbiased takes and reviews on all smartphones. The site is gold.

Agree, the standard smarthphone we have at our company is a Blackberry Bold, and I love it. Privately, I'm going for a Android phone in the summer. Either HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S.

Mountain Bronco
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I have a BB Storm and love it, have several friends who hated it and payed full retail for a new phone just to get rid of it. RIM for email is the best. I have family members with Palm Pre and Pix who can't stand the email functionality, lose emails, very slow on getting them etc..., but they don't get that many so they deal with it. I get over 100 emails a day and there is no problem. Browsing on the Storm also seems better than other BB phones from what I understand, but it isn't nearly as nice as the IPhone, plus limited apps. Wife just got the Droid, so we will see what that is like as well. Palm, Droid, Iphone, BB all make quality products it is just what suits your needs best.

missingnumber7
05-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I have a BB Curve, which I got right before the tour came out. I really kick myself because the tour has video and curve does not. I like the curve, as has been said, the email functionality is nice, the OS is good, but if you use it for the net alot then you need to do a soft reset on you phone regularly as it slows the OS down. The other thing about the Curve that i have had problems with is the trackball. Its hard to keep clean, and lots of little places for junk to get into.

jhns
05-07-2010, 02:33 PM
The other thing about the Curve that i have had problems with is the trackball. Its hard to keep clean, and lots of little places for junk to get into.

This is very true. I had one get to the point that I couldn't use it. I just bought a 5 pack of then for $8 though and they are really easy to just replace.