PDA

View Full Version : Which is harder?

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd like to do at least one of them before I turn 30.

I'd say Everest because the severe lack of oxygen, and all the preparation and skill/knowledge involved. Then again, you have to be in amazing shape to run the Boston Marathon.

Eldorado
05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
err, whut!1

SureShot
05-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Concentrate on the marathon climbing Everest is an expensive under taking.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Concentrate on the marathon climbing Everest is an expensive under taking.

I mountaineer all the time in Colorado. Even in the winter. I realize its a totally different ball game, though.

I have most of the equipment I need (sub-zero tent/bag, 90ml pack, climbing oxygen tank, ice axe set, belay rope/clips, crampons, Himalaya boots)

I'd need one of those $1,000 Himalaya Full-body Parka, though.

Fewer than 1,400 people have climbed Everest. It would put me in pretty good company.

Eldorado
05-06-2010, 03:32 PM
err, whut!1

Oh, I see. Poll pending. If you can do everest solo, unsupported and without oxygen, thats impressive. Even doing it blind folded isn't as impressive as it once would have been (see Erik Weihenmayer). On the other hand, running around a city for 26 miles just seems stupid.

Archer81
Everest is a tough bitch. Average of four people a year die trying to climb it. They are still up there because its too hard to bring them down.

Stick with the Boston Marathon.

:Broncos:

Pick Six
Fewer than 1,400 people have climbed Everest. It would put me in pretty good company.

That should give you the answer, right there. I would do the Boston Marathon, if I were you...

jhns
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I say Everest fue to death count. I could be wrong but I don't think nearly as many people die in the marathon and a lot more people do it.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I say Everest fue to death count. I could be wrong but I don't think nearly as many people die in the marathon and a lot more people do it.

The name and distance "Marathon" comes from the Greek battle of Marathon. The Marathons sent a messenger to Athens to inform the Greeks of the incoming attack by the Persians. The distance between Marathon and Athens is exactly 26.2 miles. The messenger ran the whole way and died upon arrival at Athens.

cmhargrove
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I voted "other"

Playing QB for the Raiders is harder.

underrated29
05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
You cant just one day decide to climb everest. It takes tons of planning to do. You need a team, you need proper weather conditions. You cant just expect to take all the supplies up that you need on your back and climb it solo. It cant be done.

Try climbing Mt. Denali first. If you can handle that then maybe graduate youreself up to everest.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
You cant just one day decide to climb everest. It takes tons of planning to do. You need a team, you need proper weather conditions. You cant just expect to take all the supplies up that you need on your back and climb it solo. It cant be done.

Try climbing Mt. Denali first. If you can handle that then maybe graduate youreself up to everest.

I agree. But I all can do here is try to climb all of Colorado's 14ers. Mt. Everest is a 29er - over twice as prominent as Colorado's tallest mountain.

That said, they say that Everest is only the 2nd most dangerous mountain to climb in the world. Most people consider K2 in Pakistan more dangerous - and it's not because the Taliban is nearby, lol.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree. But I all can do here is try to climb all of Colorado's 14ers. Mt. Everest is a 29er - over twice as prominent as Colorado's tallest mountain.

That said, they say that Everest is only the 2nd most dangerous mountain to climb in the world. Most people consider K2 in Pakistan more dangerous - and it's not because the Taliban is nearby, lol.

Everest:
http://aaj.americanalpineclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/EverestRL-239x300.jpg

Apparently the southeast ascent to Everest is the best bet.

K2 just looks intimidating:

http://asifaxis.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/karakorum_k2-big_1.jpg

MagicHef
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Do this instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badwater_Ultramarathon

Eldorado
05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Reinhold Messner

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Do this instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badwater_Ultramarathon

Ultramarathons are just HARDCORE.

cmhargrove
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
OK, I change my vote.

I say - being one of "The Dudesons"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2rl_ozRFPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2rl_ozRFPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Meck77
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I vote everest. If you don't die please post pics.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I vote everest. If you don't die please post pics.

If/once I decide to do it, it will still be 5-6 years of training/preparation.

elsid13
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
If/once I decide to do it, it will still be 5-6 years of training/preparation.

**** the training, just have Tebow drag your ass up that little hill next weekend.

Los Broncos
05-06-2010, 03:56 PM
You'll never summit Everest, way to hard.

colonelbeef
05-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Serious poll? haha

Boobs McGee
05-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Everest is definitely a lofty goal, but honestly if you're going to choose between the two, I'd say go with an Ironman Triathalon instead of the Boston Marathon. Watching the people finish that is absolutely incredible, gotta believe it'd be an amazing feeling to complete.

Eldorado
05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Everest is definitely a lofty goal, but honestly if you're going to choose between the two, I'd say go with an Ironman Triathalon instead of the Boston Marathon. Watching the people finish that is absolutely incredible, gotta believe it'd be an amazing feeling to complete.

I gotta believe that 'feeling' you're referring to is 'pain'.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 04:32 PM

See, I don't want to die THAT way.

Everest is dangerous due to lack of oxygen, rugged terrain, unpredictable weather patterns - it's usually sudden.

Ironman triathlons are hardcore all the way though.

Not that Everest isn't, but still.

Mogulseeker
05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I gotta believe that 'feeling' you're referring to is 'pain'.

I ran a half-marathon in Maine. The pain is good, and it's relaxing once you stop running. I remember howling at the moon.