PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign a Tackle - Maurice Williams (Clady hint)

UberBroncoMan
05-06-2010, 03:04 PM
We just signed Maurice Williams.

He was a long time starter for the Jaguars.

http://www.nfl.com/players/mauricewilliams/profile?id=WIL435377

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Williams_%28American_football%29

This dude was cut during last season. He's had guard work as well.

Doesn't look so good for Clady based on that signing, being long time starting veteran and all.

Kaylore
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah maybe not. :(

PRBronco
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't read that much into it. They wanted X tackles for camp, and had X-1 because of the black widow (basketball) and now they have X again.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Or...it makes sense to have an insurance policy?

Beantown Bronco
05-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Doesn't look so good for Clady based on that signing, being long time starting veteran and all.

Huh?

If anything, it looks better for Clady's recovery if they bring in a vet. Think about it. If they need to replace him only for a few weeks early in the season, are you going to do that with a rookie who really can't be ready from week one or a vet who could step right in? Clearly, a vet.

Doggcow
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Or are they definitely moving Beadles inside? Maybe he is moving inside?

UberBroncoMan
05-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Huh?

If anything, it looks better for Clady's recovery if they bring in a vet. Think about it. If they need to replace him only for a few weeks early in the season, are you going to do that with a rookie who really can't be ready from week one or a vet who could step right in? Clearly, a vet.

You could say exactly the same thing about a vet coming in the for the entire season.

I'm all for hoping Clady is fine and able to play this year. Just saying a possibility.

gtown
05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Doesn't matter. Once Lord Tebow unleashes hell during training camp, the blind side will be Ryan Harris at the beginning of the season.

montrose
05-06-2010, 03:28 PM
We needed depth at the OT position before Clady was hurt.

underrated29
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Clady will be fine. Josh said in an interview that they were going to sign another T until Clady is back and ready to take full reps....

No need to read to far into it.

cmhargrove
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I that they signed that Dickey kid to play Left Tackle. I'm confused...

eddie mac
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Williams career has been up and down like a yo-yo. Started very poorly at OT. moved to OG and did well, then went back to OT and got cut. Worth a shot but not at LT to replace Clady IMO. If Ryan isn't good to go for week 1 I'd lay $100 now that Polumbus will be starting there.

ghwk
05-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Tebow doesn't need a left tackle. The position will go unfilled AND unplayed.

KevinJames
05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Dudes a pretty decent guard

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Isn't this guy at home on the right side?

Doesn't Clady play on the left side?

Am I missing something?

HEAV
05-06-2010, 04:35 PM
He could be a versatile lineman flex'n from OG to emergency Tackle. But clearly he's not worth pinning hopes on as a starting LT for consecutive games.

Rohirrim
05-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Whatever they do, I just want them to give Clady plenty of time to heal completely.

atomicbloke
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Clady will be cut.... heard on the light rail....

ward63
05-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Whatever they do, I just want them to give Clady plenty of time to heal completely.

Couldn't agree more!

TheReverend
05-06-2010, 05:24 PM
We should nuke basketball after Greece.

oubronco
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Veteran lineman Maurice Williams signs with Broncos

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
<!--date-->Posted: 05/06/2010 04:20:11 PM MDT
<!--secondary date-->Updated: 05/06/2010 04:40:56 PM MDT

The Broncos continued their march toward a far bigger offensive front for the upcoming season and beyond, signing veteran tackle-guard Maurice Williams on Thursday.
Williams, who was a second-round pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 2001 draft (43rd overall), made starts at right tackle, left tackle and right guard in his nine years with the team.
He was waived by the Jaguars this past December after losing his starting job, just two seasons removed from a mult-year contract extension. He missed the '08 season after injuring his biceps in pre-game warmups before the season opener against Tennessee that year.
He also missed 11 games in '02 with a fractured leg, but did start 16 games in five seasons as well.
Williams turned 31 this past January and having started 100 games in his career — he's played in 105 overall — has been through plenty of physical battles. Williams worked out with the Detroit Lions earlier this year, but was not signed because, at least in part, of some concerns over his ability to make it through training camp and into the regular season.
At 6-foot-5, 302 pounds Williams does have size Broncos coach Josh McDaniels wants on his offensive front. And his ability to play multiple positions is one of McDaniels' criteria as well.
The Broncos have three players - tackles Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris as well as guard Russ Hochstein — trying to come back from surgeries. Clady just had surgery to repair a knee tendon last week.

Footnote
The Broncos also released safety Marcellus Bowman and guard Michael Shumard, both rookie college free agents signed last week.
Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com (jlegwold@denverpost.com)

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15033349

If he couldn't make it in Detroit somethings wrong

PRBronco
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
We should nuke basketball after Greece.

Greeks invented the Olympics ---> basketball is in the Olympics ---> Greece attacked Clady.

DenverBrit
05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Veteran lineman Maurice Williams signs with Broncos

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
<!--date-->Posted: 05/06/2010 04:20:11 PM MDT
<!--secondary date-->Updated: 05/06/2010 04:40:56 PM MDT

The Broncos continued their march toward a far bigger offensive front for the upcoming season and beyond, signing veteran tackle-guard Maurice Williams on Thursday.
Williams, who was a second-round pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 2001 draft (43rd overall), made starts at right tackle, left tackle and right guard in his nine years with the team.
He was waived by the Jaguars this past December after losing his starting job, just two seasons removed from a mult-year contract extension. He missed the '08 season after injuring his biceps in pre-game warmups before the season opener against Tennessee that year.
He also missed 11 games in '02 with a fractured leg, but did start 16 games in five seasons as well.
Williams turned 31 this past January and having started 100 games in his career he's played in 105 overall has been through plenty of physical battles. Williams worked out with the Detroit Lions earlier this year, but was not signed because, at least in part, of some concerns over his ability to make it through training camp and into the regular season.
At 6-foot-5, 302 pounds Williams does have size Broncos coach Josh McDaniels wants on his offensive front. And his ability to play multiple positions is one of McDaniels' criteria as well.
The Broncos have three players - tackles Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris as well as guard Russ Hochstein trying to come back from surgeries. Clady just had surgery to repair a knee tendon last week.

Footnote
The Broncos also released safety Marcellus Bowman and guard Michael Shumard, both rookie college free agents signed last week.
Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com (jlegwold@denverpost.com)

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15033349

If he couldn't make it in Detroit somethings wrong

Detroit aren't famous for their decision making. Take it as a good sign. ;)

Taco John
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it yet. It's only a smart move to bring someone in to start learning the offense in the event the worst case scenario pans out. It already didn't look good for Clady, but the news of this signing doesn't signal anything except that it would be prudent to bring someone in just in case, IMO.

Smilin Assassin
05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm in agreement w/most that already posted. Not gonna read too much into this aside from good depth & competition.

Had they went out and grabbed Flozell Adams and thrown a big chunk of money at him, I'd view it differently.

GoBroncos84
05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
We needed depth at the OT position before Clady was hurt.

Exactly. Clady and Harris are very solid starters, but who do we have behind them? Gorin and Polumbus, with Beadles being added to the mix. Plus Maurice Williams is more of a Right Tackle, not a Left Tackle. Solid depth pick up, cheap. Hopefully he can make the roster as a back up and help teach the young guys, or at the very least increase the competition during training camp before being cut. I wouldn't read too much into this

listopencil
05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Greeks invented the Olympics ---> basketball is in the Olympics ---> Greece attacked Clady.

****ing Greeks. First butt sex, now this.

enjolras
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Veteran camp fodder to cover for Clady through training camp.

Paladin
05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
All in all, the Bronoc s have very large Oline prospects now. No more 250 - 270 pound guards......

Cool Breeze
05-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Tebow doesn't need a left tackle. The position will go unfilled AND unplayed.

Hey - maybe Pat can save some money on this
Since he was so damn broke according to some blokes. :clown:

Baba Booey
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
IMO...worst case scenario this guy fills in for Clady for the first three or four games and then provides depth for the rest of the season.

Pretty sweet 'worst case scenario' considering the circumstances if you ask me.

OBF1
05-07-2010, 12:53 AM
The sky has fallen

_Oro_
05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Every time I see this thread title I see Maurice Clarett. /shudder

ColoradoBuff
05-07-2010, 10:32 AM
****ing Greeks. First butt sex, now this.

you sayin there's something wrong with butt sex?