PDA

View Full Version : Orton & Cutler no interest in Elway

i4jelway7
05-06-2010, 03:15 AM
pulled this quote from Woody's mailbag

"Cutler and Orton had and have no interest in being around Elway, or he around them."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15027034

Wow! I knew Quitler was an arrogant SOB, but why does Orton want nothing to do w/ Elway?

thats blasphemy.. get him outta here.. so long cinderblock feet

mhgaffney
05-06-2010, 03:19 AM
We love scramblers in Denver.

Ratboy
05-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Because they are professionals and probably couldn't give 2 ****s about Elway?

i4jelway7
05-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Because they are professionals and probably couldn't give 2 ****s about Elway?

yeah that makes sense, NOT.. if they were professionals.. seems like they would want to pick the brain of a HOF QB

Ratboy
05-06-2010, 04:20 AM
yeah that makes sense, NOT.. if they were professionals.. seems like they would want to pick the brain of a HOF QB

Maybe John is a dick?

Ramathorn
05-06-2010, 04:50 AM
maybe john is a dick?

blasphemy!!!! Take it back right now!

gunns
05-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Maybe John is a dick?

Somebody had their Wheaties **** in. I'm sorry.

It's obvious that Cutler and Orton have no interest in Elway. It shows.

listopencil
05-06-2010, 06:33 AM
I was more interested in this line...

"John is on board with the Tim Tebow selection..."

And this one...

"Josh and John get along, and I think you'll see John at camp and maybe even helping the younger quarterbacks during the offseason."

And puzzled by this one because there are several possible meanings here...

"I think it's possible that Elway will become involved with the team again now that Shanahan is gone..."

Dedhed
05-06-2010, 06:49 AM
I think the fact that Tebow has already made a point of getting in touch with Elway is very telling.

It points to that idea that he wants as much input and help as he can possibly get. That's in stark contrast to Cutler who seemed to believe that he had it all figured out.

IMO it speaks to why Cutler hasn't improved much since coming into the league, and to why the prospect of Tebow is so intriguing.

bowtown
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
I think Woody is an assbag. That's pretty much the only response I have to anything he vomits onto a page.

BroncosSR
05-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I think Woody is an assbag. That's pretty much the only response I have to anything he vomits onto a page.

Agreed.

Kaylore
05-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Sometimes he's wrong, but at least his prognostications are based on being educated about the team and conversations with local personnel guys unlike the rest of national media who ignore us. Being in the lost time zone sucks.

BroncoMan4ever
05-06-2010, 07:45 AM

"Cutler and Orton had and have no interest in being around Elway, or he around them."

Wow! I knew Quitler was an arrogant SOB, but why does Orton want nothing to do w/ Elway?

with Cutler it went back to him being an arrogant prick thinking he was a HOF calibur player already and not needing to listen to one of the greatest ever, with Orton it is because he and John really have nothing in common outside of the position they play. Different playing styles, different expectations, it is just a pairing that wouldn't really have any purpose.

Mountain Bronco
05-06-2010, 07:52 AM
with Cutler it went back to him being an arrogant prick thinking he was a HOF calibur player already and not needing to listen to one of the greatest ever, with Orton it is because he and John really have nothing in common outside of the position they play. Different playing styles, different expectations, it is just a pairing that wouldn't really have any purpose.

Wrong, Orton and Elway both like to get their drink on. They could sit down over a couple of cocktails.

Miss I.
05-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Wrong, Orton and Elway both like to get their drink on. They could sit down over a couple of ****.tails.

and actually based on photos Jay also likes to get his drink on.

As far as I could tell this is one guys' opinion that neither wanted to deal with Elway. He could be taking a comment made by either one out of context. And frankly, I could see either one of them being intimidated by the presence of Elway, he is a living legend and basically every QB to follow has been compared and found lacking so it might be a touch difficult to talk to him as the guys following him.

Gort
05-06-2010, 08:16 AM

i'm over Orton. let him start this year and then trade his ass to the first team willing to offer any sort of value in return or let him leave by free agency or whatever. he's not the future. he's just a temp.

Dedhed
05-06-2010, 08:19 AM
As far as I could tell this is one guys' opinion that neither wanted to deal with Elway. He could be taking a comment made by either one out of context. And frankly, I could see either one of them being intimidated by the presence of Elway, he is a living legend and basically every QB to follow has been compared and found lacking so it might be a touch difficult to talk to him as the guys following him.
It still points to the fundamental differences in character between Tebow and the other two.

Tebow is neither too arrogant nor to intimidated to talk to contact Elway. That's encouraging to me.

Miss I.
05-06-2010, 08:20 AM
It still points to the fundamental differences in character between Tebow and the other two.

Tebow is neither too arrogant nor to intimidated to talk to contact Elway. That's encouraging to me.

I agree with that.

Chris
05-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Everyone knows John Elway isn't a saint but hell if I was QB I'd be picking his brain.

colonelbeef
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Here we go, the start of the homer-fueled Orton bashing is here

scorpio
05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Woody, I see that CU had no players drafted in this year's NFL draft. At one time CU was known for the amount of players who went on to pro careers. Is this another sign of the coming apocalypse if CU sticks with Dan Hawkins?

Marty, Fort Collins

Marty: I, too, noticed. For the longest time, CU was a fertile ground for offensive linemen and skill-position players (running backs, wide receivers, cornerbacks, safeties, several quarterbacks) and, of course, a stream of linebackers.

Yes, it's a reflection on Dan Hawkins. He hasn't recruited pro-caliber talent, for the most part.

I think you'll see a few offensive linemen come out of this current bunch, and Tyler Polumbus did make it with the Broncos as a free agent.

Hawkins, as you know, had another mediocre recruiting class this year.

What else do you want me to say? Bill McCartney, Tricky Ricky Neuheisel and Gary Barnett did recruit pro players.

lmao, I work with this guy, he is sitting about 15 feet away from me right now.

montrose
05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't fault any QB of the Broncos from trying to distance himself from the Elway shadow. John was an awesome, awesome player - but some Broncos fans really have to let it go. More importantly, I wish they'd realize that a great QB for the Broncos doesn't have to play like John Elway, and an awesome WR doesn't have to be like Ed McCaffrey, etc. So many casual fans I talk to around town want to recreate Bronco greats from the past instead of just building a winning team. I had a customer the other day who was bi*ching about the team to which I said, "Geese you wouldn't be happy with Tom Brady would you?" His response was, "No. He's nothing like Elway." Some of the more football-smart fans such as those on the Mane would be shocked at the number of people that's the opinion of.

gunns
05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't fault any QB of the Broncos from trying to distance himself from the Elway shadow. John was an awesome, awesome player - but some Broncos fans really have to let it go. More importantly, I wish they'd realize that a great QB for the Broncos doesn't have to play like John Elway, and an awesome WR doesn't have to be like Ed McCaffrey, etc. So many casual fans I talk to around town want to recreate Bronco greats from the past instead of just building a winning team. I had a customer the other day who was bi*ching about the team to which I said, "Geese you wouldn't be happy with Tom Brady would you?" His response was, "No. He's nothing like Elway." Some of the more football-smart fans such as those on the Mane would be shocked at the number of people that's the opinion of.

I think you're off base with this. We all know there will never be another Elway. This is a matter of two slugs for QB's who could use the advice of a great. No one expects them to be like Elway, we expect them to perform like QB's.

Drek
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I think you're off base with this. We all know there will never be another Elway. This is a matter of two slugs for QB's who could use the advice of a great. No one expects them to be like Elway, we expect them to perform like QB's.

I'd think that your line of thinking would be wrong.

I've seen people on this very forum say that Orton is a bad QB, citing his lack of mobility. I've seen people outright say they do not want the Broncos to have anything but a gunslinger QB who scrambles around and takes risks looking for big plays.

This goes directly counterculture to what wins the NFL today, when "game managers" like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees cut defenses to ribbons by consistently making 1st downs.

But that is what a lot of Broncos fans have even outright said they want, because its what we had in our last great QB.

Orton was a solidly above average performer last year despite moving to a new team, learning a new offense, and having some serious weaknesses along the offensive line. He gets absolutely no respect around here for that though.

DenverBroncosJM
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I wonder how many of you call your wife or girlfriends ex. And ask them what worked.

Ok not the samething but..

DomCasual
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Elway is too old to keep up with Jay and Kyle at the bar. On the other hand, Elway can drink Tebow under the table. I think this is the foundation of it all.

Grumps
05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
This goes directly counterculture to what wins the NFL today, when "game managers" like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees cut defenses to ribbons by consistently making 1st downs.

Really? hmmm...

GoBroncos84
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Rod Smith is an amazing mentor and teacher. I love when he works with our receivers and takes guys under his wing. He makes them better. And having him around helps the other guys understand tradition, what it means to be a bronco. John Elway taking on the same role would be great. I hope it happens

DomCasual
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Rod Smith is an amazing mentor and teacher. I love when he works with our receivers and takes guys under his wing. He makes them better. And having him around helps the other guys understand tradition, what it means to be a bronco. John Elway taking on the same role would be great. I hope it happens

I still hold out hopes he'll tire of the coffee MLM and come back to coaching.

montrose
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM

When you say we, you're referring to what I'd call "smarter" football fans as we all get together and talk Broncos Football year long on this website. I'm referring to the casual fan here in the Denver-area, and more than getting a player to play of the caliber of an Elway (or pick any other Bronco great) it's that they want his skillset to be exactly that of those former players even though there have been several strong football philosophies that have worked through the years and the group running the football operations of the Broncos presently brings a different philosophy than the one that was used here in the past.

That's what annoys me a bit, (again the more casual fan in town) it's as if the ONLY acceptable QB for the Broncos has to be a guy with a rocket arm, runs around making plays and throws bombs down field like Elway did. One of your WRs need to be a lanky, tall receiver who takes big hits over the middle because that's what Eddie did. The casual fan compared Jay to John over and over again even though Jay is a lot more Favre than Elway in the way that they play.

Just because these awesome players were Broncos in the past doesn't mean we can't develop new kinds of awesome players the Broncos haven't had before. I'd love to have the next Drew Brees or the next Wes Welker - even though those are players whose skillsets don't match with Bronco greats from the past.

Paladin
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Not a thing Elway can tell them that McD can't.

colonelbeef
05-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Not a thing Elway can tell them that McD can't.

you seriously think that Josh McDaniels knows more about Quarterbacking in the NFL, and Denver in particular, than John Elway does? You think that Elway has nothing to add?

Christ on sale

NFLBRONCO
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Cutler already thinks he's better then Elway so why would he lower himself to talk to John

Why would Orton talk to John he's busy looking for houses in other cities.

Swedish Extrovert
05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
This goes directly counterculture to what wins the NFL today

Exactly. John is such a hippie :peace:

Drek
05-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Really? hmmm...

Yep. Really.

Game manager isn't a negative term. When one of those guys runs a 14 or 15 play, 90 yard TD drive what did they just do? Manage the flow of the game to give their team a prolonged scoring drive.

They do make the big plays when available, but much of the time they get big play opportunities after beating teams up with their efficiency.

Putting up 6 on a quick bomb pass looks real cool but in today's NFL its all about the QBs who can grind defenses down making sustained drives that end in points, keeping their own defense fresh.

Brett Favre started doing that this year, taking checkdowns instead of throwing bombs that might get picked and relying on his elite stable of talent around him, and he had a career year. Yet another example of how the NFL is all about efficiency now instead of big boom or bust plays.

colonelbeef
05-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Yep. Really.

Game manager isn't a negative term. When one of those guys runs a 14 or 15 play, 90 yard TD drive what did they just do? Manage the flow of the game to give their team a prolonged scoring drive.

They do make the big plays when available, but much of the time they get big play opportunities after beating teams up with their efficiency.

Putting up 6 on a quick bomb pass looks real cool but in today's NFL its all about the QBs who can grind defenses down making sustained drives that end in points, keeping their own defense fresh.

Brett Favre started doing that this year, taking checkdowns instead of throwing bombs that might get picked and relying on his elite stable of talent around him, and he had a career year. Yet another example of how the NFL is all about efficiency now instead of big boom or bust plays.

Stop calling QBs with actual arms 'game managers' and comparing them to Kyle Orton.

Florida_Bronco
05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Stop calling QBs with actual arms 'game managers' and comparing them to Kyle Orton.

Drek's assessment is spot on, and what does arm strength have to do with being a game manager?