PDA

View Full Version : Tebow leads the NFL in one category

Pony Boy
05-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Tim Tebow already leads the NFL in one category: jersey sales.

His Denver Broncos No. 15 was by far the most popular on the NFL's website for April. His celebrity clearly trumps the debate over whether he'll ever make it as an NFL quarterback after winning the Heisman Trophy and two national championships at Florida.

Tim Tebow's jersey was the No. 1 seller in April.
Tebow is, at best, third on Denver's depth chart at QB. But the 25th pick of the first round still had the best-selling rookie jersey since the NFL started keeping track in 2006. Thirty percent of the orders came from Florida.

The Broncos were tops in the league in merchandise sales on NFLShop.com in April after ranking 10th for the year ending March 31 -- and without any other Denver player's jersey in the top 25.

The draft's top pick, the St. Louis Rams' Sam Bradford, was at No. 9, behind not just Tebow but the second selection, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. The new Detroit Lion, who ranked eighth, is the only lineman in the top 25.

April's No. 2 seller was an old quarterback on a new team: the Redskins jersey of Donovan McNabb. McNabb's Eagles jersey wasn't even in the top 25 for the year ending March 31, trailing even teammate Michael Vick.

His trade to Washington has sparked not just interest in McNabb but in his replacement in Philadelphia, Kevin Kolb. Ready to make his debut as a full-time starter, Kolb was No. 12 in the April rankings.

Just as eye-catching is the drop in jersey sales for a quarterback in the news for very different reasons: Ben Roethlisberger. The Pittsburgh Steelers star, a longtime mainstay among the league's most popular jerseys, ranked 11th for the year ending March 31.

He's nowhere to be seen in the top 25 for April, a month when he was suspended without pay for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. Prosecutors decided not to charge Roethlisberger in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused the quarterback of sexually assaulting her in a Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub.

LaDainian Tomlinson's move from the Chargers to the Jets boosted sales of his jerseys. He ranked 16th for the year ending March 31, but shot up to sixth for April.

The rest of the top 10 for April includes many of the usual suspects: Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tony Romo and Troy Polamalu.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5165547

BigPlayShay
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
The Broncos were tops in the league in merchandise sales on NFLShop.com in April after ranking 10th for the year ending March 31 -- and without any other Denver player's jersey in the top 25.

Cha-Ching!

Archer81
05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
For some odd reason...opening day in Jacksonville is going to be epic. Lot of navy and predominant orange in that stadium that sunday...

:Broncos:

misturanderson
05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Man did the jaguars screw the pooch by picking a late 2nd round, undersized DT at #10 instead of a savior, cash cow, late second round QB at #10.

I'm extremely happy about it too, as I'm sure Bowlen is. Maybe this was the plan all along, get rid of Cutler and his contract demands so that we could get Tebow for cheaper and reap all of the benefits of that ridiculous following.

PRBronco
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm quite comfortable saying he also leads the league in Awesomeness Quotient.

Archer81
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Maybe this was the plan all along, get rid of Cutler and his contract demands so that we could get Tebow for cheaper and reap all of the benefits of that ridiculous following.

Its only ridiculous if Tebow did nothing to deserve the following. If he manages to do in Denver what he did at UF, the same phenomenon will occur here.

crush17
05-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Man did the jaguars screw the pooch by picking a late 2nd round, undersized DT at #10 instead of a savior, cash cow, late second round QB at #10.

I'm extremely happy about it too, as I'm sure Bowlen is. Maybe this was the plan all along, get rid of Cutler and his contract demands so that we could get Tebow for cheaper and reap all of the benefits of that ridiculous following.

blatant "move this team to LA" pick. lol

_Oro_
05-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Intense ball juice league leader.

misturanderson
05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Its only ridiculous if Tebow did nothing to deserve the following. If he manages to do in Denver what he did at UF, the same phenomenon will occur here.

I hope so and I can't wait until he proves the pick to be worthwhile.

400HZ
05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm surprised that this place hasn't been overrun by the Tebowites yet.

2KBack
05-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm surprised that this place hasn't been overrun by the Tebowites yet.

we're growing our own

Kaylore
05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
we're growing our own

Yeah I was going to say, give it some time. It will be like a Cult a year from now.

Dukes
05-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah I was going to say, give it some time. It will be like a Cult a year from now.

I'll drink the red cool-aid if Tebow says so

titan
05-05-2010, 06:53 PM
tweet I saw just now:

Adam_Schefter
5:41pm, May 05 from UberTwitter
Tebowmania now has reached levels I don't understand. RT @souza777: I'm a Raider fan but I'm getting a #15 jersey!!! Go Tebow!!

Circle Orange
05-05-2010, 06:59 PM

I saw people in the park wearing capes and lighting candles. There appeared to be bones burning in a pile. http://scosoft.com/s/x/41e6b509.gif

loborugger
05-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I saw people in the park wearing capes and lighting candles. There appeared to be bones burning in a pile. http://scosoft.com/s/x/41e6b509.gif

And on a completely sidenote - when are you gonna do up Tim in a hairdo?

Circle Orange
05-05-2010, 07:06 PM
And on a completely sidenote - when are you gonna do up Tim in a hairdo?

oh, I have plans...I may alternate between him, Brady, and Kyle. It's gonna be a busy season. I've got an entire library of wigs to go! ;D

Rabb
05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
just wait, if by any chance this kid gets in and does good things for us this entire state will be insane like we haven't seen since #7 was here

it's a big if of course, but my goodness...McD and Tebow will absolutely own this town

BlueCrusher
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM

I live in Daytona and Gator fans can be annoying, but damn they are loyal. They remind me of living back in CO....:chiefssux

RhymesayersDU
05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
The thread title is pretty misleading. It implies that Tebow only leads the NFL in one category.

Not true. TEBOW IS LEADING THE LEAGUE IN WORK DONE. HE WILL NOT BE OUTWORKED. HE WORKS DAY AND NIGHT. HE DREAMS ABOUT WORKING. WHILE WORKING, HE GETS BORED AND PLOTS NEW WAYS TO OUTWORK HIS OPPONENTS. WORK WORK WORK.

So basically, he leads in two categories.

TonyR
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Meanwhile...

Brandon Marshall still has no number
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 6:23 PM ET

In response to news that the newest guy to be issued No. 15 in Denver already is leading all rookies in jersey sales, a reader points out that the guy who used to wear No. 15 in Denver currently has no number in Miami.

According to the Dolphins' online roster, Marshall's number is still listed as "0". Since NFL players currently can't wear "0", it won't be his number.

So what will Marshall's number be? Davone Bess currently owns No. 15, and he has said he won't sell it to Marshall. Available numbers from 10 to 19 and 80 to 89 include only 19, 87, and 88. (No. 12 and No. 13 have been retired in honor of Bob Griese and Dan Marino.)

Though the situation doesn't need to be resolved immediately, the team and Marshall are missing opportunities to make money via sales of his new jersey.

And the last time we checked, the team has exclusive authority over the numbers. If the Tuna wants Bess to cough up No. 15, Bess will be coughing up No. 15 -- with or without Marshall writing him a check.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/05/brandon-marshall-still-has-no-number/

Smilin Assassin
05-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Meanwhile...

Brandon Marshall still has no number
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 6:23 PM ET

In response to news that the newest guy to be issued No. 15 in Denver already is leading all rookies in jersey sales, a reader points out that the guy who used to wear No. 15 in Denver currently has no number in Miami.

According to the Dolphins' online roster, Marshall's number is still listed as "0". Since NFL players currently can't wear "0", it won't be his number.

So what will Marshall's number be? Davone Bess currently owns No. 15, and he has said he won't sell it to Marshall. Available numbers from 10 to 19 and 80 to 89 include only 19, 87, and 88. (No. 12 and No. 13 have been retired in honor of Bob Griese and Dan Marino.)

Though the situation doesn't need to be resolved immediately, the team and Marshall are missing opportunities to make money via sales of his new jersey.

And the last time we checked, the team has exclusive authority over the numbers. If the Tuna wants Bess to cough up No. 15, Bess will be coughing up No. 15 -- with or without Marshall writing him a check.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/05/brandon-marshall-still-has-no-number/

Probably waiting on Bess to be cut.

SoCalBronco
05-05-2010, 08:12 PM
[B]Tim Tebow already leads the NFL in one category:

Awesomeness?

brncs_fan
05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Tim Tebow already leads the NFL in one category:

Most lepers cured in one practice.

extralife
05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Water-to-wine conversion percentage

Dr. Broncenstein
05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Balls of Passion Juice.

easymobee
05-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. Seems JAX really wanted Tebow, but shied away from the perceived public ridicule from performing such a reach in the end.

Only to take another guy that everyone had 33rd overall or worse in their collective opinion. How hard is it to move down and take Tebow and the DT? Or to just take Tebow at number 10 and then package your 2nd and 3rd to get back up to take the DT. (If they are that worried someone else had him targeted)?

Tickets would've sold, big time. A (girl) friend in Florida, who I had no idea even knew what a football was ..... called and gushed/congratulated me (as a fan) that the Broncos had gotten Tebow within 30 minutes of the pick. He is a god in that state.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-05-2010, 11:08 PM
**** this country.

RhymesayersDU
05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Awesome take, tool.

NeverBeenToDenver
05-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Probably waiting on Bess to be cut.

Bess is a pretty solid player. He was almost fantasy-worthy for a stretch last season.

No way do they take the # away from him by force. No chance...that last little tidbit completely destroys any credibility there. Yeah, that's a terrific way to run a locker room.

jutang
05-06-2010, 09:42 AM
One thing that got me excited... living in LA I'm ****ing tired of seeing Charger or Raider games. When the Broncos were good they were always on TV. Now I gotta keep going to pubs or scouring internet feeds to watch a 2x2in stream of the game. If Tebow alone gets one or two more nationally televised games next yr... then its a well spent draft pick!