PDA

View Full Version : OT-Top 100 Video Game Villains 90-81...

Archer81
05-05-2010, 12:48 AM
#90-Dagoth Ur-Elder Scrolls III

Those taking an extended stay on the island of Vvardenfell might want to get vaccinated for Corprus, the disease created and spread by Dagoth Ur. Symptoms of Corprus include mutations, wild visions and dreams, loss of control, and death. Dagoth Ur, the Chimer who dwelt deep beneath Red Mountain for more than an eon, was a being so powerful that he bordered on divinity. His history is long and complex, but the important points are that he gained control and used the power of an ancient artifact known as the Heart of Lorkhan, and began to spread Corprus to the inhabitants of Vvardenfell, turning them into mutants and slaves.

He also began to utilize ancient artifacts known as Kagrenac's Tools to assemble an enormous golem to aid him in his task. Whereas the standard villain is mean, brutish and forceful, Dagoth Ur is educated, eloquent, and indirect, kept within the Ghostfence by the Tribunal, and using his Ash Vampires to do his bidding beyond the magical barrier. Travelling into his lair, Dagoth speaks to you. "Come to me, through fire and war, I welcome you." His calm voice a contrast to the image that awaits you through those ancient steel doors - a sinewy, masked figure who doesn't hesitate to fry you to death with fireballs.

#89-Sander Cohen-Bioshock

No one is as high maintenance as an artist, save an artist who feels they're an underappreciated genius. Add to that the power of life and death in the form of security and an army of splicers, and Sander Cohen fits the villainous bill. Unlike other baddies in Bioshock, like Andrew Ryan and Fontaine/Atlas, Cohen is a more human foil for Jack with more concrete, petty needs -- specifically the deaths (and documentation thereof) of four "betrayers." He walks the line between completely insane and just cogent enough to be really dangerous, and the ultimate decision to kill or spare him once he's gotten what he wants from the player makes him memorable in a game where people who get in Jack's way have a habit of kindly dying. We like Sander because it seems like a small step from his unspliced persona - that of an egomaniacal artist with delusions of omni-importance - to his final form of nutball. Then again, this seems to be the M.O. for all of the major villains in the BioShock games, as each of them are subtle shades away from sane, making them more believable.

#88-Dark Samus/Sa-X-Metroid Series

Pretty much every popular Nintendo character has a "dark side", from Mario (Wario) to Luigi (Waluigi) to Link (Dark Link) to Star Fox (Star Wolf). So why should the Metroid series be any different? It's pretty much the Nintendo way, after all.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes introduced the idea of Dark Samus, a creepily evil doppelganger of the female bounty hunter composed of Phazon, wreaking havoc in the Metroid universe. Dark Samus was born out of the explosion from the final battle of Metroid Prime. Samus' DNA merged with the remains of the defeated Metroid Prime, and in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption he/she/it's running around calling the shots with the evil Space Pirates.

Even when Dark Samus is defeated, it's never really over with this evil creature, and we're sure that the finale in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption really isn't the end of Dark Samus. Even in Super Smash Bros. Brawl hints that Nintendo's not quite done with the concept.

#87-Officer Tenpenny-GTA: San Andreas

The Grand Theft Auto games have always starred bigger-than-life villains, but there's just something truly sinister about San Andreas' Officer Frank Tenpenny. It's not just because Samuel L. Jackson voices him, although his baritone absolutely drips with evil. It's because Tenpenny is an amalgamation of some of the worst crooked cops that ever walked this side of the screen. Tenpenny is both the man behind the curtain and a terrorist, never afraid to get his hands dirty for what he considers to be the greater good. Unfortunately, the "greater good" means working with some gangs just to punish others and line Tenpenny's own pockets along the way.

That twisted sense of right and wrong coming from Tenpenny is what makes the player grow comfortable with the mayhem CJ must unleash in San Andreas. If the cop is the ultimate bad guy, then a little gang-banging can hardly be considered evil, right? Especially if that cop is allowing crack to pour into San Andreas in order to wipe out competing gangs and get rich. The climax of San Andreas, when the acquittal of Tenpenny results in a riot like those that burned Los Angeles in 1992, solidifies Tenpenny's status as a wretched villain worthy of this list. Innocents are dying. The city is burning. And all Tenpenny cares about is himself and his suitcase of cash.

#86-Jacqueline Natla-Tomb Raider

If there's one thing that makes a good villain, it's immortality. Jacqueline Natla claimed to be immortal in Tomb Raider: Anniversary. We're tempted to believe her as she took a very creepy Atlantean, demonic form in the game. Her case for immortality is aided by the fact that she's been around since the 1940s and looks pretty damn good for her age. Apparently, she was originally unleashed from Los Alamos, New Mexico where a test nuclear bomb detonation destroyed what was holding her and set her loose on the world. Fast-forward 60 years and she's still up to no good.

Besides the usual powers that come with being an immortal demon of sorts, Jacqueline has the typical bad guy ability of being able to talk her way out of situations that would otherwise lead to her death. She's escaped captivity plenty of times, including once surviving a strike from Thor's hammer. If there's one quality that we'd like to bestow upon Jacqueline, it's that she is one of the most resilient baddies we have on our list.

:Broncos:

Archer81
05-05-2010, 12:52 AM
#85-Sub Zero-Mortal Kombat Series

Casual gamers might not know that the name "Sub-Zero" can actually apply to a number of Mortal Kombat characters. The first Sub-Zero appeared in the original Mortal Kombat and quickly became one of the franchise's most recognizable fighters. This Sub-Zero, however, was eventually replaced by his "good guy" younger brother. Both siblings descended from a father that belonged to the Outworld Cryomancers.
The first Sub-Zero was aligned with the forces of evil but was eventually defeated by another iconic Mortal Kombat character, Scorpion. Once defeated, Sub-Zero would eventually become the undead Noob Saibot. After the first Mortal Kombat, Sub-Zero's younger brother would replace him for all the subsequent games.
Sub-Zero is a Cryomancer, which gives him the power to manipulate ice. In battle, Sub-Zero can freeze his opponents, which gives him the opportunity to land follow-up attacks. Sub-Zero also has a slide move which can trip up his enemies, as well as a teleport technique which was introduced in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.
Sub-Zero's Fatality is just as recognizable as his appearance, as he rips an opponent's spine out of their body. This brutal technique perfectly reflects the franchise's gory aesthetics. It is a testament to Sub-Zero's popularity that he has appeared in every major Mortal Kombat title and has even starred in a Mortal Kombat spin-off.

#84-Chronos-God of War III

Cronos isn't just a badass villain - he's the best God of War boss (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1082172p1.html) according to IGN.com. It's not that Cronos is super-evil or the mastermind behind all of the crap in Kratos' life, it's just that he's awesome. When you finally square off against the big guy in God of War III, it's one of the most technically impressive and gigantic battles you'll see in a videogame. The Titan slams his hand down in front of Kratos, his fingernail is bigger than most garage doors, and you realize it's up to you to take this mammoth out...with two blades that aren't fit to be this guy's toothpick.
From there, it's up to you to read Cronos' moves, make your way up the beast, and figure out how the hell you're going to kill him.
The big man earns his spot on our list because he's a blast to play and really encompasses what you want out of a God of War boss fight - gore, action, violence and odds you have no business overcoming. On top of that, the battle itself serves as the perfect example of why the PlayStation 3 is a rock star. You make your way up this massive creature and the game never stutters, stalls or loads. It's just you and the action, and it's grand.

#83-Death Adder-Golden Axe

Death Adder is not a snake. Despite being named after one of the more venomous reptiles in the world, Death Adder is actually an evil tyrant who attempts to usurp the real King in the game Golden Axe. He's a huge, typical looking barbarian, complete with burly helmet that just screams "I murdered your family." While most of us never got a chance to fight him unless our pockets were deep with quarters (or fortunate enough to own the Genesis version of Golden Axe), countless failed attempts were made at storming his castle.
Granted, he wasn't a particularly inventive villain, but Death Adder makes it into the list solely because he was instrumental in the personal gaming history of so many people. Tons of quarters were dropped in the epic quest to take him on, and taking him down and reclaiming the titular Golden Axe became, for many, a nerd rite of passage. He recently made a return in the critically scorned Golden Axe: Beast Rider, but players who want to really take him on once again can do so in the various remakes of the original Golden Axe

#82-Purple Tentacle-Day of the Tentacle

Purple Tentacle has some of the grandest schemes for world domination ever seen in a videogame, which is unusual when you consider the era of his troublemaking. He didn't start his life with these domineering tendencies, but a drink from a radiated river sent Purple over the edge into insanity. From that point on, all he cared about was taking over the world and making a planet exclusively for tentacles. To prevent this, Purple's former friend Green Tentacle warns Purple's arch-nemesis of his evil actions. From there, Green and the troop of heroes (including Bernard and Laverne) travel back in time to stop Purple Tentacle from ever gaining the evil gene that sent him into the stage of dementia. Of course our heroes come out on top in the end and Purple's dreams of world domination are dashed just as soon as he thought them up. Will we ever see Purple Tentacle again? Rumors have been swirling for some time about his return, but only time will tell if he ever makes his way back onto our game machines.

#81-Psy-Crow-Earthworm Jim

If you're going to design a hero as goofy-cool as Earthworm Jim, you're going to need some equally awesome villains. Evil the Cat, Queen Slug-for-a-Butt... all fine antagonists. But Earthworm Jim's true nemesis, the evil Psy-crow, is easily the best of this insane rogue's gallery. Psy-Crow is actually responsible for the creation of Jim. He allowed the Ultra-high-tech-indestructible-super-space-cyber-suit to slip through his feathers and fall to Earth, where it landed next to a harmless little worm. A few wriggles later, Psy-Crow had himself a mortal enemy.
Psy-Crow remains Earthworm Jim's main enemy throughout his adventures, performing dastardly deeds like kidnapping princesses and throwing puppies out of windows. Really: Psy-Crow throws puppies out of windows. Psy-Crow also loves a good race. Jim must often blast through space alongside Psy-Crow, trying to beat him to the finish line in hopes of thwarting his plots, such as at the end of Earthworm Jim 2 where the hero cannot allow Psy-Crow to get to the church on time (church on time!) and marry Jim's special lady, Princess What's-Her-Name

http://www.ign.com/videogame-villains/

Doggcow
05-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Nice shoutout to Sub-Zero.

Doggcow
05-05-2010, 01:31 AM
All I know is Diablo from Primal Rage better be on this mother****er!

ZONA
05-05-2010, 01:49 AM
I think my most hated enemy of all time is that damn dreaded Headcrab from the Half-Life series. Those are some persistant pesky MF's.

The Headcrab: Half-Life
http://eatourbrains.com/EoB/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/headcrab.jpg

ZONA
05-05-2010, 02:05 AM
All I know is Diablo from Primal Rage better be on this mother****er!

That was a great game. I also loved (can't remember the name of it) the one where you could rack up huge combos. I think I mostly used this Silver Knight character and he had a huge spike that would come from his fist. And there was some chic with a staff. Damn, wish I could remember the name of it. It was the first game I remember where you could get off like 15 hit combos or something like that.

Doggcow
05-05-2010, 02:11 AM
That was a great game. I also loved (can't remember the name of it) the one where you could rack up huge combos. I think I mostly used this Silver Knight character and he had a huge spike that would come from his fist. And there was some chic with a staff. Damn, wish I could remember the name of it. It was the first game I remember where you could get off like 15 hit combos or something like that.

Killer instinct had big combos but I don't remember the one youre talking about.

FireFly
05-05-2010, 06:38 AM
lol - Purple tentacle

love it!!!

Man-Goblin
05-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I've never heard of any of these deadbeats.

Archer81
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Killer Instinct.

Killericon
05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Morrowind is one of the best games ever, but Dagoth Ur was boring.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I made a sub-zero reference the other day at mayweather/mosely party (cuz mosely was dressed in sub zero's colors) and all i got were crickets. I figured he was more well known.

Doggcow
05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Killer Instinct.

I dont remember a knight in it, but I was right? lol.

KI was mad fun.

Taco John
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I made a sub-zero reference the other day at mayweather/mosely party (cuz mosely was dressed in sub zero's colors) and all i got were crickets. I figured he was more well known.

If they weren't laughing you don't need them 'cuz they're not good friends...

Archer81
05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I dont remember a knight in it, but I was right? lol.

KI was mad fun.

I dont remember a knight, but I remember a silver character who could form blades from his hand. He has a Terminator 2 vibe to him.

Doggcow
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I dont remember a knight, but I remember a silver character who could form blades from his hand. He has a Terminator 2 vibe to him.

Pretty sure youre talking KI, yeah there was a robot dude with predator claws.

Smilin Assassin
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Pretty sure youre talking KI, yeah there was a robot dude with predator claws.

Fulgore