PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' rookie offensive linemen quickly build bond

oubronco
05-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Broncos' rookie offensive linemen quickly build bond
Posted: 05/03/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

No position group on the Broncos' roster has changed more in the offseason, especially through the NFL draft, than the offensive line.

The change includes three drafted rookies: tackle-guard Zane Beadles, center-guard J.D. Walton and guard-center Eric Olsen, who are part of a young unit. Of the 15 offensive linemen on the Broncos' roster, only one — 32-year-old guard Russ Hochstein — is older than 30. The Broncos could open the season with all five starters age 27 or younger, with right guard Chris Kuper the old man of the bunch.

Contrast that to last season, when the Broncos started a 36-year-old center (Casey Wiegmann) and got eight starts apiece from Hochstein and 32-year-old Ben Hamilton at left guard.

Wiegmann was released after the season and has signed with his former team, Kansas City. Hamilton's contract expired, and he signed with Seattle as a free agent.

Beadles said the Broncos' rookie offensive linemen have begun to bond and expect to have no trouble fitting in when they join the veterans May 17 for a minicamp.

"It doesn't really matter who you are or where you came from. All offensive linemen get along together," Beadles said. "We're all pretty much the same person, so it's real easy to build that camaraderie."

Two punters, one job.

The only nonrookies participating in Denver practices over the weekend were punters Britton Colquitt and A.J. Trapasso.

The Broncos had two punters last year — Brett Kern, who was released after six games, and Mitch Berger, who was not re-signed after the season.

The Broncos have opted to go young at the position. Trapasso, who played for Ohio State, and Colquitt, from Tennessee, came out of college in 2009 and spent time on practice squads last year. Colquitt was in training camp with the Broncos. He was signed to the active roster in Week 17 but did not play.

"I think consistency and their ability to perform in situations where there is pressure I think is really going to be the determining factor in terms of how that all shakes out," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "I think they are both kind of eager to win a job, but that probably won't be determined for a while."

Mentor now a teammate.

Soon after a Lisfranc sprain in his foot ended Eric Decker's collegiate career at Minnesota last fall, the wide receiver had a phone call from an NFL veteran who has been through his share of injuries.

It was Broncos wide receiver Brandon Stokley, who suffered the same Lisfranc injury in 2002 when he played for the Indianapolis Colts. Former Broncos assistant coach Jedd Fisch, an assistant at Minnesota last year, encouraged Stokley to reach out to Decker.

In their initial conversations, Stokley gave Decker advice on how to handle the injury, which requires surgery and long rehabilitation.

They stayed in touch during the months since and met in person when Decker visited Broncos headquarters before the draft.

"I think I've learned a lot about adversity and how to handle it," Decker said.

Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15004566

Things are looking bright my friends :thumbsup:

crowebomber
05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
The punting situation worries me.

baja
05-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Why we got Tebow.

tsiguy96
05-03-2010, 11:55 AM

i forgot we had colquitt and trapasso. we will get a good winner out of it, no question. they are both capable guys.

Man-Goblin
05-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Holy crap Eric Olsen looks like Matt Lepsis

Borks147
05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Holy crap Eric Olsen looks like Matt Lepsis

"We're all pretty much the same person, so it's real easy to build that camaraderie."

I didn't realize they meant it literally!

Borks147
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
also - are we not linking articles anymore? I thought we weren't going to copy paste article either. But no link AND copy-paste? MADNESS!

oubronco
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
also - are we not linking articles anymore? I thought we weren't going to copy paste article either. But no link AND copy-paste? MADNESS!

There does that make you happy

Popps
05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Sweet to have a crop of young, potential starters for a change. Let's hope we build out a nice, deep roster from this group.

Borks147
05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
There does that make you happy

me? I'm ambivalent. Taco probably appreciates not getting sued though LOL