PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Bounty of Cutler deal now in place

HEAV
05-02-2010, 01:28 PM
It took two drafts and another week of intense concentration to follow the Broncos' bouncing draft picks, but the results are in on the Jay Cutler trade.

Here's what the Broncos got: starting quarterback Kyle Orton, starting outside linebacker Robert Ayers, first-round receiver Demaryius Thomas, third-round receiver Eric Decker, one-half of tight end Richard Quinn (Bears' draft pick plus one more to get him) and one-third of quarterback Tim Tebow (draft pick plus two more).

The haul is stunning.

On paper, the Broncos have a chance to make this the NFL's most significant blockbuster trade since 1989, when Jimmy Johnson used Herschel Walker to resurrect the Dallas Cowboys' franchise.

Now all the Broncos need is for their acquired players to make the ever-difficult transfer from looking good on paper to becoming productive on the field.

If Ayers and Quinn can rebound from disappointing rookie seasons, if Thomas and Decker can recover from their injured feet, if Tebow can become all that, then Orton may go from the early centerpiece of the deal to an afterthought.

Keep in mind the only player who has made the Pro Bowl since the trade was an afterthought. In return for the Broncos' haul, the Bears got Cutler and a fifth-round pick that turned out to be receiver Johnny Knox.

Knox was named to the NFC Pro Bowl team last season as a returner.

"I was aware I was part of the trade, but I didn't know any of the specifics," Knox said at the Pro Bowl in Miami. "All I know, I was hoping to get drafted and was glad I did."

The trade, as it initially was constructed, sent Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round pick (Knox) to the Bears in exchange for Orton, a 2009 first-round pick (Ayers), a 2009 third- round pick (hold on) and a 2010 first-round pick (hold on some more).

Last season, the Broncos packaged their own third- round pick with the third- rounder they got from the Bears to move into the second round to take Quinn.

This year, the Broncos took their No. 11 overall pick from the Bears, traded down to No. 13 while picking up a fourth- round pick (No. 113 overall) from San Francisco. The Broncos then moved down again to No. 24 overall in exchange for two of Philadelphia's third- round picks (Nos. 70 and 87 overall).

The Broncos moved up from No. 24 to No. 22 by sending the No. 113 overall pick they got from San Francisco to New England and took Thomas.

They kept their No. 87 pick and took Decker.

They packaged the No. 70 pick they received from Philly with two of their own picks to take Tebow.

Two quarterbacks, two receivers, a pass rusher and a blocking tight end.

Even the harshest critics of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders would say their draft maneuverings were nothing short of brilliant.

It's the wisdom of their selections — and decision to trade Cutler in the first place — that will come into question until the players produce, and the Broncos win.

NFLBRONCO
05-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Let's see the actual reward in next 5 yrs before we celebrate what's we got on paper for Cutler trade.

Popps
05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Let's see the actual reward in next 5 yrs before we celebrate what's we got on paper for Cutler trade.

Conversely, Cutler is a disaster, so let's see if trading him is even worth talking about in 5 years. Could have been addition by subtraction.

tsiguy96
05-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Conversely, Cutler is a disaster, so let's see if trading him is even worth talking about in 5 years. Could have been addition by subtraction.

For sure. Even if all our picks are not great we've already seen the type of player cutler is and that's one who is regressing.

SpringStein
05-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Last season, the Broncos packaged their own third- round pick with the third- rounder they got from the Bears to move into the second round to take Quinn.

Maybe I'm not following too closely, but I believe we received the Steelers 4th in that trade (we moved up to Steelers last pick of round 2, gave them the two 3rds and received their 4th). In that case, if we are counting 1/2 of Quinn, shouldn't we also add in Seth Olsen who we took with that 4th?

It's all pretty confusing. :confuzzle

NYBronco
05-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Hopefully Orton will have a productive season while both Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow get up to speed and the Broncos are able to trade Orton for some more future picks. The Cutler trade could give the Broncos more.

Killericon
05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
We won't know who won the deal for another 2 years. The balance of who 'won' rests entirely with Cutler.

atomicbloke
05-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe I'm not following too closely, but I believe we received the Steelers 4th in that trade (we moved up to Steelers last pick of round 2, gave them the two 3rds and received their 4th). In that case, if we are counting 1/2 of Quinn, shouldn't we also add in Seth Olsen who we took with that 4th?

Exactly my thought. Unless I am missing something Olsen is also part of that deal.

And if we can trade Orton for a mid-late round pick, that should also get included.

atomicbloke
05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
We won't know who won the deal for another 2 years. The balance of who 'won' rests entirely with Cutler.

And Knox.

Don't count him out. He looks like a future superstar.

robbieopperude
05-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Orton will be a free agent at the end of the year. Unless we plan on francise tagging him I don't see him landing Denver any draft picks in trade. I imagine he will have another efficient year where he throws about a 1.8 TD/Int Ratio and has a bunch of yards passing in the short throwing game. I don't think he will be that highly sought in free agency. Any ideas who would be willing to give this guy a starting gig? Maybe Minnesota or Arizona next year.

robbieopperude
05-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Buffalo comes to mind as a place where a QB is needed but Orton's arm would not hold up well there.

Killericon
05-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Orton will be a free agent at the end of the year. Unless we plan on francise tagging him I don't see him landing Denver any draft picks in trade. I imagine he will have another efficient year where he throws about a 1.8 TD/Int Ratio and has a bunch of yards passing in the short throwing game. I don't think he will be that highly sought in free agency. Any ideas who would be willing to give this guy a starting gig? Maybe Minnesota or Arizona next year.

Jacksonville might.

NFLBRONCO
05-02-2010, 02:52 PM

I was just talking the return of the trade for us. I miss Cutlers ability but, not his brains or the person he is one bit. Imo this was a good move for us longterm. I think Cutler's personality is such that he'll always struggle with dumb mistakes. I do think he is Jeff George II.

easymobee
05-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Bears haven't done much to help Cutler succeed in year 2.

Hired Mike Martz, which may help his numbers (see Jon Kitna w/ the Lions) but will get him sacked about 50 times a year.

Signed a solid blocking TE and minimized Greg Olsen due to the new offense. Remember how great Olsen was 'sposed to be last year. 2nd or 3rd TE in the mock fantasy drafts. Not so much then and not so much now.

Signed Chester Taylor (decent pickup) but wasn't Forte supposed to be the real deal? Wasn't he supposed to get 1500 yds with a superior qb to keep the defense honest? Not so much.

No WRs of note signed or drafted, In a year when Santonio Holmes, Brandon Marshall, and Anquan Boldin changed teams. The bears lacked any ammo due to the Cutler and Gaines Adams trades.

Bears made a splash signing Peppers. I guess that helps indirectly, but not so much unless he is moved to LT.

Hogan11
05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
one-half of tight end Richard Quinn

Which half did we get?

easymobee
05-02-2010, 03:18 PM
And Knox.

Don't count him out. He looks like a future superstar.

Knox is decent, but future superstar?

Guess it depends on your classification of superstar. I think there are maybe 7 or 8 "superstar" WRs in the NFL and Knox has a ways to go to get there IMHO.

Killericon
05-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I dislike that Knox is considered part of the deal. It's not like the Bears wouldn't've been able to get Knox if we hadn't given them that pick.

TonyR
05-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Even the harshest critics of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders would say their draft maneuverings were nothing short of brilliant.

Not true since we know for sure that mock, among others, would certainly disagree.

Paladin
05-02-2010, 03:33 PM

I believe Quitler may well have a more average seson, and I mean he shou;ld end up somewhere among the average in most stats. The ints he had last year were sort of unreal in numbers, and he should show some "regression to the mean" this year. Maybe.

UberBroncoMan
05-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I dislike that Knox is considered part of the deal. It's not like the Bears wouldn't've been able to get Knox if we hadn't given them that pick.

But he was part of the deal. You could say the same thing about the other 5th round pick they had. Who's to say they don't take that dude over Knox with only a single 5th.

Lestat
05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Cutler will be fine and will justify the trade for him.
the main thing is will the Broncos draft picks work out and justify dealing Cutler away.
i've been critical of McDaniels moves since he got here.
but they have gotten good value out of the draft(except the Alphonso Smith trade).

everything is in place for the Broncos to do well both now and in the future.
but if it falls through then the only thing that will be talked about will be the suspect trades(Cutler,Marshall,2010 first for 09' 2nd(Smith))

Kaylore
05-02-2010, 04:40 PM
The caveat here is how many of those picks even develop. If all or most work out, it's a complete coup - one of the biggest in NFL history. If half work out, it was good value. If none of them work out, then it will be considered one of the biggest wastes of resources in our franchise history.

cmhargrove
05-02-2010, 04:48 PM
It would be pretty interesting to compare this against how the Chiefs did with the Jared Allen trade. Anyone got the details there?

Hulamau
05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Hopefully Orton will have a productive season while both Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow get up to speed and the Broncos are able to trade Orton for some more future picks. The Cutler trade could give the Broncos more.

You're right about that. The gift that keeps on giving.

Lolad
05-02-2010, 05:23 PM
For sure. Even if all our picks are not great we've already seen the type of player cutler is and that's one who is regressing.

call a guy regressing in his 1st year in a new system with no wide receivers

HEAV
05-02-2010, 05:27 PM

But Cutler was/is supposed to raise the level of play among his teammates...

Kaylore
05-02-2010, 06:00 PM
That always surprises me. Great players make others around them better. Yet somehow Cutler needs all things around him perfect before his supposed greatness manifests.

The ugly truth is Cutler makes most of his mistakes as a result of forcing throws and making poor reads. Very few of his ints were a result of his receivers, and none were a result of a bad offensive line. He makes bad throws and his teammates don't play hard for him because of his bad attitude.

Borks147
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM

well, the same will be said of him this year, so when will the excuses stop?

cutthemdown
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Kaylore right let's see what develops. Also though you could say let's see if Cutler a winner or not.

We need Ayers and both the WR to be players. The Qb's are a long shot in most cases but we will see. Just so hard to find great qbs.

bowtown
05-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Yes 1/2 of Olsen should be included in that.

cutthemdown
05-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Cutler had a bad yr because he failed to show improvement in his game in the areas he struggles with.

He still sometimes retreated/scrambled backwards looking to throw the ball. This is always bad and has meant about 10 of Cutlers picks a yr.

He is still forcing the ball trying to use brute ball speed to get it between defenders.

His play fakes haven't gotten better and he has a long ways to go there. It's not just a lip service situation. When you fake the hand off you really want to stick it into the rbs gut. When you hand ball off you really want DBS to think you still have ball. It really is important and Cutler approaches it like hes too good to need to fool anyone.

Then lastly he didn't show imrpovement in demeanor and leadership. Still seemed to be sort of a crybaby.

cutthemdown
05-02-2010, 06:36 PM
That always surprises me. Great players make others around them better. Yet somehow Cutler needs all things around him perfect before his supposed greatness manifests.

The ugly truth is Cutler makes most of his mistakes as a result of forcing throws and making poor reads. Very few of his ints were a result of his receivers, and none were a result of a bad offensive line. He makes bad throws and his teammates don't play hard for him because of his bad attitude.

I think he makes good reads, then when defense really playing them all good, just says Im better then all of you I will just throw ball harder. Just not going to work. He still hasn;t learned to dink and dunk while he waits for his big play.

Also he's not saavy with ball fakes or when to run for a first down. I don't think he has the it factor yet of knowing where everyone is on field without seeing them.

ELway had a 6th sense, haven't seen that 6th sense from Cutler yet.

Manning has it, Brees has it, even Rivers seems to have that. All the good ones have that 6th sense of fooling defense, or knowing what a wr did after he stopped watching him.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I think he makes good reads, then when defense really playing them all good, just says Im better then all of you I will just throw ball harder. Just not going to work. He still hasn;t learned to dink and dunk while he waits for his big play.

Also he's not saavy with ball fakes or when to run for a first down. I don't think he has the it factor yet of knowing where everyone is on field without seeing them.

ELway had a 6th sense, haven't seen that 6th sense from Cutler yet.

Manning has it, Brees has it, even Rivers seems to have that. All the good ones have that 6th sense of fooling defense, or knowing what a wr did after he stopped watching him.

He doesn't make good reads, he consistently misses underneath coverage. He did it with us, he did it with the bears. It suggests he locks on receivers.

SportinOne
05-02-2010, 06:54 PM

This post is a disaster.

SportinOne
05-02-2010, 06:58 PM

How many QBs can you say that about. And how many QBs that you can say that about had this quality early in their career? He's a rocket armed, tough player who can also be very accurate but needed refining. Under Shanahan, and possibly McDaniels, he could have thrived. Tough to say what will happen now but the potential was there to be used and we passed on it. Now we have Tebow, who will be rooted for til the bitter end because he gives off more positive vibes. In the NFL, success is determined by trophies. We'll see.

Kaylore
05-02-2010, 07:43 PM
He doesn't make good reads, he consistently misses underneath coverage. He did it with us, he did it with the bears. It suggests he locks on receivers.

Man this is so true. He would miss easy 7 yard dump offs because of his obsession with working the middle of the field. That alone would make him twice as good. Its an easy throw. Take it!

broncosteven
05-02-2010, 07:43 PM

I think you could blame a lot of his INT's on the Receivers last year.

Many times duh bear Receivers quit on their routes or just stopped. I think some of that could be on Cutler not knowing the scheme.

The dude hasn't had a consistent OC presence yet in his pro career. I do think he needs to work on his leadership and dickness but his current teammates (outside of Urlicker maybe) seem to love him.

I am guessing Martz won't let him slide after INTS the way Turner did. I never heard once where either Turner or Lovie rode his ass for taking a bad INT. I think Martz is man enough to stick it to jay for every INT and bad read. Turner might make a good WR coach but he should not be an OC at the NFL level.

duh bears had a BAD OL with key injuries, young WR's, 1 good TE, a RB who went through a Sophmore slump with no RB depth at all.

This year will tell alot for duh bears and for us. I hope it is yea us and nea them.

Williams
05-02-2010, 09:24 PM

I don't know dude. Most of these were just plain thrown to the defense...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9lIvnAr01Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9lIvnAr01Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It looks like a receiver slipped on one of the SF picks, but you can pretty much blame the majority on sh*tty quarterbacking.

Play2win
05-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

Yakety Sax!!!

Br0nc0Buster
05-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Many times duh bear Receivers quit on their routes or just stopped. I think some of that could be on Cutler not knowing the scheme.

The dude hasn't had a consistent OC presence yet in his pro career. I do think he needs to work on his leadership and dickness but his current teammates (outside of Urlicker maybe) seem to love him.

I am guessing Martz won't let him slide after INTS the way Turner did. I never heard once where either Turner or Lovie rode his ass for taking a bad INT. I think Martz is man enough to stick it to jay for every INT and bad read. Turner might make a good WR coach but he should not be an OC at the NFL level.

duh bears had a BAD OL with key injuries, young WR's, 1 good TE, a RB who went through a Sophmore slump with no RB depth at all.

This year will tell alot for duh bears and for us. I hope it is yea us and nea them.

wtf are you talking about
Martz will encourage him to force it deep
If Cutler stays healthy he is guaranteed to throw more picks this year than last

Chris
05-02-2010, 09:36 PM
We'll see what Martz can do this year. I'm not overly optimistic.

Florida_Bronco
05-02-2010, 09:43 PM
How many QBs can you say that about. And how many QBs that you can say that about had this quality early in their career? Any of the true franchise quarterbacks exhibit this trait and most of them did so very early in their careers.

Tough to say what will happen now but the potential was there to be used and he passed on it. Fixed your post.

SoCalBronco
05-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Hopefully it works out for both teams. Go Broncos and Go Jay! :thumbsup:

NFLBRONCO
05-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Cutler lives off his skillset too much he thinks no work on his game is needed until he gets this he'll be up and down.

FireFly
05-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I actually believe that Cutler will be an above average QB maybe even a top 10/5 QB. And I honestly think that the more he struggles in the short term the better he will end up, he needs a reality check and he's getting it atm. He'll be more able to accept coaching after that and better able to utilise his physical skills.

I also think that if we turn out with 3 solid starters we did VERY well with this trade. Perhaps even just 2 given the fact that he just didn't gel with our new coach and locker room

cutthemdown
05-03-2010, 12:11 AM
I actually believe that Cutler will be an above average QB maybe even a top 10/5 QB. And I honestly think that the more he struggles in the short term the better he will end up, he needs a reality check and he's getting it atm. He'll be more able to accept coaching after that and better able to utilise his physical skills.

I also think that if we turn out with 3 solid starters we did VERY well with this trade. Perhaps even just 2 given the fact that he just didn't gel with our new coach and locker room

Top 10 stats is only about 3-4 spots above Orton. So really for what they gave up for Cutler unless he gets to the top 5 signal callers not only in opinion, but winning and stats, then Bears gave too much.

Not hard to have 10th best passing stats. Much harder to be top 5. Problem is many times there is a huge drop off from the top 3 to the guy who finishes 10th.

Cutler needs to be pumping out wins, 4000 yrds, 35 td type yrs.

You can get 3500 and 25 tds from orton. So what really has to happen is Cutler/Knox has to be more valuable then Orton, Decker, Thomas, Ayers which won't be easy considering he's only about 2 better on a scale of 1-10 compared to Orton.

Cito Pelon
05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Cutler had a bad yr because he failed to show improvement in his game in the areas he struggles with.

He still sometimes retreated/scrambled backwards looking to throw the ball. This is always bad and has meant about 10 of Cutlers picks a yr.

He is still forcing the ball trying to use brute ball speed to get it between defenders.

His play fakes haven't gotten better and he has a long ways to go there. It's not just a lip service situation. When you fake the hand off you really want to stick it into the rbs gut. When you hand ball off you really want DBS to think you still have ball. It really is important and Cutler approaches it like hes too good to need to fool anyone.

Then lastly he didn't show imrpovement in demeanor and leadership. Still seemed to be sort of a crybaby.

Yeah, that was a peeve of mine when he was here. But there's a lot of QB's that don't sell the playfake worth a damn. Orton is one of them, unfortunately, something he has to work on. I think Plummer's success had much to do with his excellent playfakes.

As for the trade bounty, yes Denver got a lot of players for one guy, but as others have said they have to play well. It's all still just on paper and written in pencil.

Cito Pelon
05-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Dude had Shanny as his defacto OC the first three years of his career.

Lestat
05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
doesn't matter how great of a QB you are if you have no running game nor OL.
there have been plenty of QB's with great potential who got ruined by that.

people keep saying Cutler doesn't make correct reads and etc.
that's not his issue, his issue is that he truly believes that no matter what the window is he can squeeze the ball through it.

he needs to stop being so cocky and learn to live with a check down.
he's always trying to make the big play instead of making the 2-3-4 small plays that come before it.

when you have Brandon Marshall,Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson who can make up for a bad throw then yeah you can fit it into a small window.
when you don't and everyone knows you think you can.
it's basic sit down defense and let the ball come to you.

Beantown Bronco
05-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Orton will be a free agent at the end of the year. Unless we plan on francise tagging him I don't see him landing Denver any draft picks in trade.

At worst, he'll net us another compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere without us tagging him. That would have to be factored into this trade.

Elway777
05-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Cutler is a hot and cold player. Some games he looks like the worst Qb in the league and then again some games his looks great franchise Qb that makes throws that no other Qb can make. The think I like most about Tebow is he does not force the football and rarely throws a pick.

TheChamp24
05-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Cutler has the skills to put up Brett Favre numbers, but the decision making/mental capabilities of a Rex Grossman.
I think the best he'll get, is a sort of middle ground, where it will be like his 2008 season with us.

oubronco
05-03-2010, 11:51 AM
It will be interesting to see what Martz can do with him

Irish Stout
05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Cutler will never be a great QB until he can figure out when not to throw into double and triple coverage.

baja
05-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Cutler will never be a great QB until he can figure out when not to throw into double and triple coverage.

Martz will make or break Jay Cutler.

Cito Pelon
05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Top 10 stats is only about 3-4 spots above Orton. So really for what they gave up for Cutler unless he gets to the top 5 signal callers not only in opinion, but winning and stats, then Bears gave too much.

Not hard to have 10th best passing stats. Much harder to be top 5. Problem is many times there is a huge drop off from the top 3 to the guy who finishes 10th.

Cutler needs to be pumping out wins, 4000 yrds, 35 td type yrs.

You can get 3500 and 25 tds from orton. So what really has to happen is Cutler/Knox has to be more valuable then Orton, Decker, Thomas, Ayers which won't be easy considering he's only about 2 better on a scale of 1-10 compared to Orton.

That was pretty good. Rep.

cutthemdown
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that was a peeve of mine when he was here. But there's a lot of QB's that don't sell the playfake worth a damn. Orton is one of them, unfortunately, something he has to work on. I think Plummer's success had much to do with his excellent playfakes.

As for the trade bounty, yes Denver got a lot of players for one guy, but as others have said they have to play well. It's all still just on paper and written in pencil.

Or Cutler has a so so career and so do all of the Broncos picks from him!!! You never know.

Mcdaniels comes from school of thought between Ayers, Decker, Thomas, Tebow, Moreno etc etc that eventually the numbers pay off and he gets some hit's.

cutthemdown
05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Martz will make or break Jay Cutler.

Martz is totally crazy....maybe this will work.

Did you guys hear martz has a new hobby. He likes to collect bugs and then pin them onto little boards like a professor. Problem is he dresses them up like little football players.

I guess his house full of them now and he wants to do the playbook using little insects instead of x's and o's.

Cito Pelon
05-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Martz is totally crazy....maybe this will work.

Did you guys hear martz has a new hobby. He likes to collect bugs and then pin them onto little boards like a professor. Problem is he dresses them up like little football players.

I guess his house full of them now and he wants to do the playbook using little insects instead of x's and o's.

I'm wondering if the Martz/Cutler hookup is like Adolph Hitler/Eva Braun.

tsiguy96
05-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Or Cutler has a so so career and so do all of the Broncos picks from him!!! You never know.

Mcdaniels comes from school of thought between Ayers, Decker, Thomas, Tebow, Moreno etc etc that eventually the numbers pay off and he gets some hit's.

wtf? mcdaniels comes from the school of taking the the guy you really want, and move around at will to get those guys without issue if you need to. he doesnt just randomly pick guys and hope some of them hit, that would be f-ing stupid. do you even know how the NFL draft works?

sixtimeseight
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that post incredibly stupid.

Paladin
05-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that post incredibly stupid.

me too.....

Shall we have Baja do a poll?