PDA

View Full Version : The karate kid 2010 style!

80smith
04-30-2010, 11:48 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XY8amUImEu0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XY8amUImEu0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

80smith
05-01-2010, 12:05 AM
to refresh your memory,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWbFWHrJ0CU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWbFWHrJ0CU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

UberBroncoMan
05-01-2010, 12:23 AM
The ONLY reason it's called Karate Kid is to suck people in via the brand and because they ripped off part of the original story.

It has nothing to do with Karate. It's in China, not Japan. The kid learns wushu aka, kung fu.

Personally this new one pisses me off because it craps all over my childhood.

80smith
05-01-2010, 12:27 AM
The ONLY reason it's called Karate Kid is to suck people in via the brand and because they ripped off part of the original story.

It has nothing to do with Karate. It's in China, not Japan. The kid learns wushu aka, kung fu.

You know....... I feel the same.....

boltaneer
05-01-2010, 01:35 AM

Agreed 1000%

Taco John
05-01-2010, 01:57 AM

LOL! I hope your childhood comes through the experience ok in the end.

Taco John
05-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Of course they're cashing in on the brand. I can play out the whole conversation in my head - could probably script it out and hit near 70% of the main phrases being used. They knew what the criticism would be, and they didn't care. They didn't want to have to re-brand. They'll tell you that The Karate Kid is a metaphor, which is true, but what it really is is an excellent brand.

This movie isn't film making history. It's "hey look, a modern day interpretation of a film already done - let's ring that register and launch the career of our newest young phenomenon."

And good for them. I'd take my boy to see it (if I think he's old enough to appreciate it). But you can be sure that he'll see the original first. Which means that I have to head to the DVD store to buy it. They ring the register again.

Cha. Ching.

The Karate Kid is a good experience. It'll be worth the money I drop on it just for the time I'll spend with my son, and watching him run around the house like he's The Karate Kid himself. And perhaps, he takes an interest in martial arts out of the experience. Then I might end up spending a lot more money.

Hmmm... maybe I should think about staying home after all!

Dr. Broncenstein
05-01-2010, 07:13 AM
I detect a huge lack evil sensei.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103671&d=1245685948

521 1N5
05-01-2010, 07:23 AM

Dude, first of all China and Japan are pretty much the same thing. Second, what don't you like about assault on minors, child romance and a young Carmello kickin some ass... I'm in!

Dr. Broncenstein
05-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Dude, first of all China and Japan are pretty much the same thing. Second, what don't you like about assault on minors, child romance and a young Carmello kickin some ass... I'm in!

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/crivillas/waisis.gif

ohiobronco2
05-01-2010, 08:01 AM
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/crivillas/waisis.gif

:rofl:

Kaylore
05-01-2010, 08:11 AM
They made it in China so they could use Jackie Chan. They couldn't make it in America because quite frankly the idea of a bunch of teenagers starting a karate gang is incredibly ridiculous. Even in the first one the idea was ridiculous. Also Jackie Chan adds immediate star power and China is beautiful place to film.

Just from watching this trailer I already have several problems. It looks to pretty for me. The beauty of the first one was the simplicity. They lived in a crappy apartment and everything about Daniel and where he lived was so ordinary that it made the story and his growth seem more extraordinary.

The acting looks terrible to me. In the first one Randee Heller and Ralph Machio played off each other really well and gave the film a nice "Lost in Yonkers" feel. Pat Morita did an amazing job playing the seemingly aloof Mr. Miyagi. And then of course you have Elizabeth Shue before she was big.

Now you have Will Smith's kid looking like Little Bow Wow 2.0, and too young play the teen angst that made Daniel's situation more believable. And I know that Taraji Henson was nominated for an Oscar in Benjamin Button, but those limp-wristed clips they used of her suggest her performance is going to be awful. It just feels like it's going to be a watered down Kung Fu movie.

And any Karate Kid movie without the Cobra Kai is going to suck.

shakenbake
05-01-2010, 08:14 AM

Ummm not even close.... Why because they are asians?

tsiguy96
05-01-2010, 08:19 AM
i think this will be a lot like the new halloween movies. if a person saw them without ever having known the previous ones existed, it would be pretty good. but most will compare the them too much to really sorta relax and enjoy it.

mizzoutigers
05-01-2010, 08:24 AM
old karate kid way better, don't like this new kid

Kaylore
05-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Ummm not even close.... Why because they are asians?

He's never been to either one and is talking out of his ass.

He's one of these people:

http://okanagan.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/world-according-to-america.png

Jason in LA
05-01-2010, 08:25 AM
"Dude, I'm from Detroit" lmao.

I still drop the "wax on, wax off" reference every now and then. I don't see "put on the coat, take off the coat" becoming part of pop culture. lol

Beantown Bronco
05-01-2010, 08:52 AM
This looks almost as bad as the new Brendan Frazer movie. Pass.

Bring on Iron Man 2 already.

Tombstone RJ
05-01-2010, 09:07 AM
dude, first of all china and japan are pretty much the same thing. Second, what don't you like about assault on minors, child romance and a young carmello kickin some ass... I'm in!

lol

521 1N5
05-01-2010, 01:24 PM
lol

Wow, somebody actually got the sarcasm. Great!

Kaylore
05-01-2010, 01:32 PM

http://www.filehurricane.com/viewerthumbnails/6102008101926AM_oh.jpg

broncosteven
05-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Now you know how I feel about the Star Trek movie that came out last year.

broncosteven
05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Because this thread is lost without this:

Sweep the leg!

tsiguy96
05-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Now you know how I feel about the Star Trek movie that came out last year.

same thing, that star trek movie was pretty good, i liked it, but have zero affiliation to the old star trek show. people who like the show will not stop comparing the movie to the show and thus will hate it. if you view them as separate things, it would change your perspective, but at the same time if you are a huge star trek fan, im not sure you if could watch the new one without comparing it to the old one.

cutthemdown
05-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Dumb idea. Do something original.

broncosteven
05-01-2010, 04:45 PM
same thing, that star trek movie was pretty good, i liked it, but have zero affiliation to the old star trek show. people who like the show will not stop comparing the movie to the show and thus will hate it. if you view them as separate things, it would change your perspective, but at the same time if you are a huge star trek fan, im not sure you if could watch the new one without comparing it to the old one.

It was still gay.

Putting anyone as captain of the Flagship ship of any fleet in their early 20's just out of any academy is just bad writting.

Kaylore
05-01-2010, 04:57 PM
It was still gay.

Putting anyone as captain of the Flagship ship of any fleet in their early 20's just out of any academy is just bad writting.

I loved it.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
05-01-2010, 05:54 PM

I loved the new Star Trek movie too. The only problem I had with that movie was the science of it. What the F*** is "Red Matter". It was like watching Independence Day. Mac can't function with 90% of the software out there, but somehow can cripple an advanced technology from outerspace.

ShutDownPoster
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Thinking about this brings up several thoughts....

1) What the hell is Ralph Macchio doing these days? Him and his child bearing hips.

2) I'm not a Will Smith fan at all - but i respect his business sense, and the mini empire he's creating here with the producing and positioning his son into stardom too. To parlay a corny ass rap career into this - major props.

3) The Original - what a cool soundtrack - Cruel Summer by the Bangles - ah the memories.

4) The sequels sucked eggs - however, it spawned a young Hilary Swank.

UberBroncoMan
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Thinking about this brings up several thoughts....

1) What the hell is Ralph Macchio doing these days? Him and his child bearing hips.

2) I'm not a Will Smith fan at all - but i respect his business sense, and the mini empire he's creating here with the producing and positioning his son into stardom too. To parlay a corny ass rap career into this - major props.

3) The Original - what a cool soundtrack - Cruel Summer by the Bangles - ah the memories.

Ralph actually has a 14 year old son. His name is Daniel. I **** you not.

Rocket 7
05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
to refresh your memory,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWbFWHrJ0CU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWbFWHrJ0CU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Had this and Wrestlemania 1 on the same VHS tape. Wore it out after awhile.

Broncos4tw
05-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Karate.. ugh. Kung Fu is sooo much better. Although I find it weird they are calling it Karate Kid.

TheReverend
05-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Anyone else mad the new karate kid is black?

In b4 "that's racist"

Sorry, but it changes the brand. It'd be like if Marlon Wayans had played Duke in GI Joe (not that the guy they picked was any better... angry face insert here), or Hasselhof starring in a remake of Shaft, or a black Dread Pirate Roberts in a Princess Bride remake, or if they made Optimus Prime a jet.

It's on par with the "Wtf?" I'm still getting forced down my throat that Hollywood Nick Fury is Sam Jackson. Someone like Mel Gibson would've been perfect... just let him throw in an obscure Jew hating reference and he totally would've been on board.

TheReverend
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I can say one thing... If Peter Cetera gets replaced on the soundtrack by some hip-hop "artist", I'm gonna flip my **** like you wouldn't believe.

jhat01
05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
"The Glory of Love"

Classic

Archer81
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I am now old enough to see movies made when I was a child into remakes in my adulthood...

Nightmare on Elm Street...Ninja Turtles...Batman...Superman...and now Karate Kid?

I call bull**** shenanigans. The Karate Kid needs to be a 30 year old ralph machio, not the progeny of big will and jada pinkett smith.

:Broncos:

TheReverend
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I loved it.

How much would you love it if Will Smith played Kirk and they threw some pointy ears on DJ Jazzy Spock?

dbfan4life
05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I would watch Karate Kid Part III over this new Karate Kind stuff!

Hogan11
05-02-2010, 12:33 AM

Will Smith continues by proxy to prove that PT Barnum was right

Which isn't saying very much at all.

Kaylore
05-02-2010, 07:36 AM
I can say one thing... If Peter Cetera gets replaced on the soundtrack by some hip-hop "artist", I'm gonna flip my **** like you wouldn't believe.

This.

How much would you love it if Will Smith played Kirk and they threw some pointy ears on DJ Jazzy Spock?

People would die.

Arkie
05-02-2010, 07:52 AM
This is such a manly song for our tough hero. Chuck would be proud. Who would win a fight between Peter Cetera and Ralph Macchio in real life?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XWHOF_0-6Hg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XWHOF_0-6Hg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ShutDownPoster
05-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Will Smith continues by proxy to prove that PT Barnum was right

Which isn't saying very much at all.

She does have a nice rack for a skinny chick though!!! (Hillary Swank)

broncosteven
05-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I loved it.

I also hated that they turned young/new/hip Spock into an Emotional Sex freak.

Just think if their was an officer leaving for a mission aboard a USN flagship who had to stop and kiss the Comm officer on the bridge before he left? How professional is that?

It was Lame.

Beantown Bronco
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Suspension of disbelief.......it's not for everyone.

broncosteven
05-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Suspension of disbelief.......it's not for everyone.

Not when it comes to original series ST.

I didn't care that they f'ed up Star Wars with the last 3 movies.

NFLBRONCO
05-02-2010, 01:03 PM
i think this will be a lot like the new halloween movies. if a person saw them without ever having known the previous ones existed, it would be pretty good. but most will compare the them too much to really sorta relax and enjoy it.

What did you think of the new Halloween movies? I saw the new Halloween had some good ideas for the 78 version.

C130Herkload
05-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Sweep. the. leg.

SoCalBronco
05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
It was still gay.

How so? If the 20 year old is the only one with the talent and instinct to solve the crisis that apparently the rest of the fleet can't.......why shouldn't he be a Captain? If his IQ is that much better than everyone else is, it's not really relevant that he's 20 something.

tsiguy96
05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
What did you think of the new Halloween movies? I saw the new Halloween had some good ideas for the 78 version.

they were good, not great and not groundbreaking, but most reviews gave it 1 or 0 stars. people get too caught up in "omg its not as good as the old one, thus it sucks!" just watch the movie without thinking about it too much and try to enjoy it instead of trying to figure out if its better or worse than the old one.

bowtown
05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
How so? If the 20 year old is the only one with the talent and instinct to solve the crisis that apparently the rest of the fleet can't.......why shouldn't he be a Captain? If his IQ is that much better than everyone else is, it's not really relevant that he's 20 something.

Also, it's a science FICTION movie that takes place thousands of years in the future with space ships and alien cultures that all speak English, but yeah, that one plot point seemed just too unrealisitc and ruined the whole thing... gotcha.

broncosteven
05-02-2010, 07:10 PM

ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

This movie reminded me of those kids movies where the parents are always wrong and the 7 year old home alone carries the day.

It isn't his age but his experience level that really pissed me off. What is he going to do on the next adventure when he needs to fall back on a life experience to solve a problem? remember back to that one Iowa bar fight or the time he almost ran a corvett off a cliff, in Iowa BTW.

broncosteven
05-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Let me put it this way.

I don't think Young Gene would have been able to save Apollo 13 without going through the Apollo 12, Apollo 1, Gemini 8, the time during a rocket test when the escape/emergency rocket fired on the dummy capsule leaving a fully fueled rocket on the pad about to fall over until they could find a fix to reset it.

It takes a cullimation of life experiences to be a leader. Not just one deed.

Just think if our owner hired a young HC because his team once went 18-1 and went to the SB!

broncosteven
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Also, it's a science FICTION movie that takes place thousands of years in the future with space ships and alien cultures that all speak English, but yeah, that one plot point seemed just too unrealisitc and ruined the whole thing... gotcha.

If they used new characters or different names then fine but I ****ing grew up with that show. I still have my Kirk, Spock (in pieces), and Scotty action figures from 1974 protecting my synth rack.

Archer81
05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
They made it in China so they could use Jackie Chan. They couldn't make it in America because quite frankly the idea of a bunch of teenagers starting a karate gang is incredibly ridiculous. Even in the first one the idea was ridiculous. Also Jackie Chan adds immediate star power and China is beautiful place to film.

Just from watching this trailer I already have several problems. It looks to pretty for me. The beauty of the first one was the simplicity. They lived in a crappy apartment and everything about Daniel and where he lived was so ordinary that it made the story and his growth seem more extraordinary.

The acting looks terrible to me. In the first one Randee Heller and Ralph Machio played off each other really well and gave the film a nice "Lost in Yonkers" feel. Pat Morita did an amazing job playing the seemingly aloof Mr. Miyagi. And then of course you have Elizabeth Shue before she was big.

Now you have Will Smith's kid looking like Little Bow Wow 2.0, and too young play the teen angst that made Daniel's situation more believable. And I know that Taraji Henson was nominated for an Oscar in Benjamin Button, but those limp-wristed clips they used of her suggest her performance is going to be awful. It just feels like it's going to be a watered down Kung Fu movie.

And any Karate Kid movie without the Cobra Kai is going to suck.

...I thought the Karate Kid flick originally takes place in Okinawa?

Dr. Broncenstein
05-02-2010, 07:23 PM

Negative. Part deux takes place in Japan.

bowtown
05-02-2010, 07:24 PM

That's Karate Kid 2, duh...

SoCalBronco
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Let me put it this way.

I don't think Young Gene would have been able to save Apollo 13 without going through the Apollo 12, Apollo 1, Gemini 8, the time during a rocket test when the escape/emergency rocket fired on the dummy capsule leaving a fully fueled rocket on the pad about to fall over until they could find a fix to reset it.

Young Gene would absolutely be able to save Apollo 13 without going through all the other missions. It's not the experience that was important....it was Gene that was important...well, that and the special vest his wife made for him.

It takes a cullimation of life experiences to be a leader. Not just one deed.

For some leaders its like that. For others....they are simply born, not made...see e.g. Gene, Kirk, Dick etc. Plus....how can you not give Kirk the captaincy? He's a badass. He's the kind of guy that nails Erin Andrews when other guys are getting lectured by their wives simply because they googled Erin Andrews. ;D

Just think if our owner hired a young HC because his team once went 18-1 and went to the SB!

Ok...that's a fair point.

My responses above in bold.

Archer81
05-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Takes place two hundred years in the future, after mankind nearly destroys itself with nuclear war. Few governments were left...did you not watch Star Trek: Next Generation where the Borg go back in time to try and destroy the earth while it was much weaker?

Geeze.

bowtown
05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Takes place two hundred years in the future, after mankind nearly destroys itself with nuclear war. Few governments were left...did you not watch Star Trek: Next Generation where the Borg go back in time to try and destroy the earth while it was much weaker?

Geeze.

Never been very good with dates.

Rigs11
05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
This looks like major crapfest. Kinda hit and miss on the remakes. Batman,Halloween,star trek: good.Friday the 13th, nightmare on elm st., clash of the titans: crap.

Cleo McDowell
05-03-2010, 01:39 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdrFwikfJNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdrFwikfJNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

broncocalijohn
05-03-2010, 02:22 AM

yes, fail on Kaylore and Shaknbake!