PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Oakland.... Russell looks good

Ugly Duck
04-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Raiders' Russell stuns world, looks capable of competing

JaMarcus Russell's mere presence at the Raiders first minicamp Friday made him stand out among his teammates. His surprisingly impressive passes and sub-300-pound frame made him worth watching even longer.

Here he was, acting as the Raiders hoped he would when they drafted him first overall in 2007. Too little, too late? Probably, but Friday's show made me wonder if he really does have a chance, a second chance.

Russell's arm strength never has been in question, so watching him zip passes was nothing new. To see those lasers reach their target — only about four passes of, say, 25 fell incomplete — was stunning.

As for his always controversial weight, he didn't appear or play like he was carrying 300 pounds, as multiple reports pegged his super-sized frame.

His on-field demeanor, however, is what mattered more Friday. He looked good. He looked better than Campbell, Kyle Boller and Charlie Frye, who took the initial snap with the first-team before Russell got his turn, followed by Campbell and then Boller.

Russell zipped mostly short-range passes to the Raiders' still ridiculously raw receiving corps. His third pass was his longest, a 35-yard spiraling lob that landed in the hands of rookie Jacoby Ford, who fell down while catching the slightly underthrown pass.

Russell didn't loaf from drill to drill like last year's opening minicamp. He seemed on a mission, perhaps to protect that $3 million guaranteed stipend rather than risk losing it "for cause."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_14992867?source=rss

theAPAOps5
04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
He still gets cut. Too little too late fat boy.

SureShot
04-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Who ****ing cares?

chawknz
04-30-2010, 10:03 PM
That's kinda funny actually.

Ugly Duck
04-30-2010, 10:03 PM
He still gets cut. Too little too late fat boy.

I dunno... maybe Denver should consider trading for him. What is it the pundits are saying about St. Tebow... that he won't be NFL ready for 8 or 9 years? You'll need someone in the meantime...

Man-Goblin
04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
I dunno... maybe Denver should consider trading for him. What is it the pundits are saying about St. Tebow... that he won't be NFL ready for 8 or 9 years? You'll need someone in the meantime...

Clever.

theAPAOps5
04-30-2010, 10:05 PM

Coming from the guy whose team has NO QB's I can only feel sorry for you.

DHallblows
04-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Coming from the guy whose team has NO QB's I can only feel sorry for you.

Seriously. I doubt I'd even trade Brandstater for any QB on their roster

Tombstone RJ
04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
JaMarshmellow might actually be motivated. He's auditioning for his new team.

Ugly Duck
04-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Seriously. I doubt I'd even trade Brandstater for any QB on their roster

Have you seen the arm on this guy? Reading defenses, ball control, and ability to evade defenders and complete passes to one's own team are all highly overrated....

OBF1
04-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Strawberry Poptarts yummmm

boltaneer
04-30-2010, 10:57 PM
You gotta love it when the phrase "sub-300-pound frame made him worth watching even longer" in regards to your quarterback is a positive spin! :rofl:

Borks147
04-30-2010, 11:07 PM
You gotta love it when the phrase "sub-300-pound frame made him worth watching even longer" in regards to your quarterback is a positive spin! :rofl:

God I hate your avatar

listopencil
05-01-2010, 12:29 AM
God I hate your avatar

Nah, it's good for us to be reminded that Rivers is a cocky little bitch, a punk second only to Cutler.

listopencil
05-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Tebow... that he won't be NFL ready for 8 or 9 years?

Who do you think will be ready to be an NFL QB first? Tebow or Russell? I'm betting on Tebow.

azbroncfan
05-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I thought you were going to say bad news for the local Oakland chinese buffets J. Russell hadn't been cut yet.

80smith
05-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Have you seen the arm on this guy? Reading defenses, ball control, and ability to evade defenders and complete passes to one's own team are all highly overrated....

See Chicago....................

Quoydogs
05-01-2010, 02:06 AM
That’s right. It doesn’t. Smoking
does not cause cancer. You know what? Neither does the sun. You might say “How can you say that? Studies have shown….

The Moops
05-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Remember how everyone was saying Vince Young was a bust before last season? Tom Landry used to say it took at least 4 years to develop a QB. It hasn't helped Russell's development playing for the dysfunctional Raiders organization. I'm not saying he's going to be great. Just that some team, if it isn't the Raiders, should give this guy a second chance. He's got the talent. He just needs to get his head screwed on straight.

FireFly
05-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Who do you think will be ready to be an NFL QB first? Tebow or Russell? I'm betting on Tebow.

^5 Hilarious!

Ugly Duck
05-01-2010, 09:43 AM
some team, if it isn't the Raiders, should give this guy a second chance. He's got the talent.

Now that's the spirit! Forward that to McD... get the fan base fired up about Russell in a Bronco uniform! Oh sure, Al doesn't usually trade with Denver - but he may make an exception here....

Kaylore
05-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Remember how everyone was saying Vince Young was a bust before last season? Tom Landry used to say it took at least 4 years to develop a QB. It hasn't helped Russell's development playing for the dysfunctional Raiders organization. I'm not saying he's going to be great. Just that some team, if it isn't the Raiders, should give this guy a second chance. He's got the talent. He just needs to get his head screwed on straight.

You're insane. He has no work ethic. He is fat, lazy and stupid.

montrose
05-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Just don't knock us out of the playoffs again JaMarcus, please.

Tombstone RJ
05-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Some team will pick up JaM if he still wants to play, he knows that. He's got to put on his best face for this process. I'm thinking a team like Buffalo might really be interested in bringing him in and seeing if he's got any upside at all. Who knows, perhaps JaM realizes he's got a lot of mouths to feed and he is young and he can play, why not get paid to do it?

tsiguy96
05-01-2010, 11:06 AM
You're insane. He has no work ethic. He is fat, lazy and stupid.

second. this guy doesnt deserve a second shot when he wasted his first opportunity so badly.

Tombstone RJ
05-01-2010, 11:13 AM
If Favre doesn't come back, or even if he does come back (so much the better) I'd pick up JaFatty if I was the vikings. Pay him the vet minimum and bring him in for a looksee. What do they have to lose? They can still draft a QB in 2011.

Taco John
05-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Was that article written by the onion? I detect satire.

Ugly Duck
05-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Was that article written by the onion? I detect satire.

Same satire from others: Bill Williamson
Russell not ready to cede to Campbell

"Russell appeared to be in decent shape. He threw several lasers. There still was the occasional patented Russell pass that sailed above the intended receiver. But there were much fewer than in the past. I was told a big part of Russell's offseason training in Arizona was intended on correcting his high floaters. Russell was truly the most impressive quarterback on the field Friday. He was much sharper than expected standout Jason Campbell. Don't lose faith in Campbell yet, though. He has been a Raider for six days. He clearly isn't comfortable in the system yet. Expect that to change over the course of the next four months. However, Russell showed that he is not ready to surrender his job."

Circle Orange
05-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Nah, it's good for us to be reminded that Rivers is a cocky little b****, a punk second only to Cutler.

Rivers is too thin. He needs to go to the JaBooty School of Phat to prep this year. To qualify, you need three chins, not two. Three stomachs, not 1 and 1/2. http://scosoft.com/s/Sport/24ac623e.gif

But panface has a wiiiiide grill, which counts for something, I think.

enjolras
05-02-2010, 09:52 AM
God I hope this is true. I so badly want to see Jamarcus sink the raiders for a few more seasons.

Kaylore
05-06-2010, 04:37 PM
This makes this report even funnier.

HEAV
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
This makes this report even funnier.

Makes me think it was planted in an attempt to drum up trade interest.

Kaylore
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM

That's exactly what it was.

Ugly Duck
05-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Not so. Denver has the coaches to really polish up his skills. I highly recommend him for the Broncos. You can thank me later.

tebowisdabomb
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I think he would be a Great Bronco

Pick Six
05-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Who DOESN'T look good in minicamp? Seriously? It's easier to complete passes when you don't have people wanting to rip your head off...