PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Nix on why they didn't draft Tebow

i4jelway7
04-29-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Tim_Tebow/915684

'I love Tim Tebow and he’s going to be successful, but we didn’t have time to wait on a guy."

read the whole article

PRBronco
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I guess you're permanently in "win now" mode when your owner is 103 years old.

Chris
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM

except they're not going to win any time soon.

snowspot66
04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
He's right. The Buffalo Bills don't have that kind of time.

The LA Bills do though.

Mr.Meanie
04-29-2010, 04:42 PM

'I love Tim Tebow and he’s going to be successful, but I don't have time to wait on a guy."

read the whole article

more accurate

Bronco Yoda
04-29-2010, 04:50 PM

'I love Tim Tebow and he’s going to be successful, but we didn’t have time to wait on a guy."

read the whole article

what BS

DomCasual
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2008/10/al-davis-02-100108.jpg

theAPAOps5
04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah getting beat to the punch makes you come up with excuses to save face. When Jim Kelly gets your fan base rabid for him you have to do damage control.

BlueCrusher
04-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah getting beat to the punch makes you come up with excuses to save face. When Jim Kelly gets your fan base rabid for him you have to do damage control.

Yup sounded like damage control.

uplink
04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
score one for Tebow: owner publicly explains why he didn't take him in the 1st round.

extralife
04-29-2010, 07:02 PM
You guys are delirious. People lose jobs if first round picks don't make an impact, particularly when you're with a franchise that doesn't have a lot going for it.

theAPAOps5
04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
score one for Tebow: owner publicly explains why he didn't take him in the 1st round.

Exactly! They may be right about him taking too long to develop. But you NEVER hear teams go out of their way to dispel pre-draft talk so vehemently as the Bill have.

The fact that Jim Kelly and his wife raved about Tebow publicly and the subsequent result of the fans getting excited must have the team on edge.

When Brown said it you could argue that he was telling the truth but now that they talked about it again you have to believe they wanted him and are in spin mode now.

theAPAOps5
04-29-2010, 07:05 PM
You guys are delirious. People lose jobs if first round picks don't make an impact, particularly when you're with a franchise that doesn't have a lot going for it.

Yep and they also can lose their jobs when they don't get the player they really wanted and he finds success elsewhere. Especially when the fans seem to want them.

And when you are a franchise that doesn't have a lot going for it you want Tebow that much more. The fans you gain over night give you quite the boost in revenue especially when you are a small market team in an area not exactly thriving.

gunns
04-29-2010, 07:15 PM

I think not having a QB on board, before the draft, that will make any kind of an iimpact will help lose those jobs too.

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix said during a radio interview that University of Florida QB Tim Tebow was not on the team's plans because the Bills did not have the time it would take to develop Tebow as a quarterback, reports Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com. 'I love Tim Tebow and he’s going to be successful, but we didn’t have time to wait on a guy. We have too many needs. We can’t take a guy and have him sit him two or three years or whatever it takes. I don’t know how long it’ll take. He might come in and play right off, but we didn’t know that. So it was kind of a thing where we had to get somebody in that (draft) spot that was going to contribute early,' Nix said.

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Tim_Tebow/915684#ixzz0mXvh8a3p

who cares

HEAV
04-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Yet the Bills will waste another season on Trent Edwards...

They wanted Tebow, they needed Tebow, yet they thought he would fall to them. Tebow would have been the shot in the arm that franchise has needed for years!

Bills will enter their 14 season without Jim Kelly. Only memorable quarterback they had since Kelly retired was/is Doug Flutie.

Bills front office is still in shock that Tebow isn't on their team.

BroncoBuff
04-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I can't believe Ralph Wilson was lying when he said they weren't interested at that spot.

scorpio
04-29-2010, 08:01 PM
I can't believe Ralph Wilson was lying when he said they weren't interested at that spot.

I can't tell if you're trolling anymore.

theAPAOps5
04-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Dude you are a Mensa member and have been around sports. Ralph has never liked losing and doesn't handle it well. He lost a ton of money not getting him and he is rationalizing the loss.

If it was Snyder, Bowlen, pretty much any owner I would totally agree with you but Ralph has a history of cocking off when flustered and his organization wanted Tebow.

BroncoBuff
04-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Dude you are a Mensa member and have been around sports. Ralph has never liked losing and doesn't handle it well. He lost a ton of money not getting him and he is rationalizing the loss.

If it was Snyder, Bowlen, pretty much any owner I would totally agree with you but Ralph has a history of ****.ing off when flustered and his organization wanted Tebow.

I didn't know that. He always seemed like just a nice old guy to me.

But now that you say that, Nix's comment makes sense. He's trying to clean up what Wilson said, slamming Tebow and the Broncos, without throwing him under the bus.

What's Wilson's history with that kinda stuff? He came off pretty well in HBO's AFL Full Color Football series.

oubronco
04-30-2010, 06:38 AM

They wanted Tebow, they needed Tebow, yet they thought he would fall to them. Tebow would have been the shot in the arm that franchise has needed for years!

Bills will enter their 14 season without Jim Kelly. Only memorable quarterback they had since Kelly retired was/is Doug Flutie.

What makes you think Tebow is better than Edwards

Tebow hasn't played a down in the NFL and Edwards is starting in the NFL

Kaylore
04-30-2010, 07:25 AM

That's why people are doubting this. They say they weren't interested, and that they needed to "win now" and then you look at the QB's they have and have to wonder if there really wasn't someone better. I mean I think most people would agree there were a few QB's that went that would be an upgrade over what they have. Tebow too, considering they could have him make one read and if it's not there, run with the ball.

For a team that has to "win now" they didn't do much to address the QB problem which is a big reason why they aren't.

chex
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix said during a radio interview that University of Florida QB Tim Tebow was not on the team's plans because the Bills did not have the time it would take to develop Tebow as a quarterback, reports Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com. 'I love Tim Tebow and he’s going to be successful, but we didn’t have time to wait on a guy. We have too many needs. We can’t take a guy and have him sit him two or three years or whatever it takes. I don’t know how long it’ll take. He might come in and play right off, but we didn’t know that. So it was kind of a thing where we had to get somebody in that (draft) spot that was going to contribute early,' Nix said.

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Tim_Tebow/915684#ixzz0mXvh8a3p

That is such bull****.

First of all, the more they try to deny it, the more they are admitting they got burned on it. They said they took Spiller at 9 because they needed excitement, something to keep the fans from falling asleep at games. Them targeting Tebow as well makes all the sense in the world if that’s the case. Just look at all the hype we’re getting now because of him. Tebow would’ve made the Bills relevant, the way Vick did with Atlanta. Atlanta got way more national exposure just because of Vick alone. Wilson & Nix are bummed because those dreams of jersey sales, nationally televised games, and reviving a disenchanted fan base all went up in smoke, made so even more because they miscalculated and let themselves get undressed.

Second of all, from a football perspective, you mean to tell me the Bills are in an open window period where they’re only a veteran QB away from contending for a Super Bowl? Whether they have Tebow or not, they’re still going to be an also ran in that division for the next couple of years at least, so why wouldn’t they want a guy, who by their own admission, projects to be a successful starter, even if it is two or three years down the road? Unless they figure they’ll suck so bad again this year that they’ll have a shot at one the qb’s in 2011? Even so, there are no guarantees. And it’s even worse that their own coaching staff couldn’t figure out how to maximize Tebow’s skills, or how long it would take them to do so. After reading about McDaniels’ 7 hour interview with Tebow prior to the draft, makes me even more glad he’s our coach, especially when compared to the ineptness that is the Buffalo Bills. Sounds like he really did some homework on the kid.

I hope Buffalo keeps spinning their story, actually. Makes me think our guys were ahead of everyone else on this. That should give a hint at how coveted Tebow really was on draft night. Maybe that’s why guys like Prisco write about the NFL instead of being in it.

HEAV
04-30-2010, 09:36 AM
That's why people are doubting this. They say they weren't interested, and that they needed to "win now" and then you look at the QB's they have and have to wonder if there really wasn't someone better. I mean I think most people would agree there were a few QB's that went that would be an upgrade over what they have. Tebow too, considering they could have him make one read and if it's not there, run with the ball.

For a team that has to "win now" they didn't do much to address the QB problem which is a big reason why they aren't.

Also if they (The Bills) are about win now, then why hire Chan Gailey as headcoach?

Seriously Chan Gailey? If they wanted to win they would have thrown BIG money at Shanny and not let him leave the interview.

Fact is the Bills are cheap, they felt that Tebow would fall to them in the second round and they could cash in (Tickets, Jerseys and memorabilia) on a second round draft pick.

Once they figured that Denver was serious about Tebow they had to scramble and try to get into the lower first, but once again they failed.

Josh worked the picks he had and got what he wanted. The Bills choice of being cheap and thinking they would make a steal pick blew-up in the face of the franchise.

Now it's about spin control, saving face and trying to maintian fanbase interest in the Bills product. :giggle:

Ralph Wilson is cheap.

HEAV
04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Even more spin from the Bills front office.

In an offseason that has required a lot of planning, hard work and patience, Bills GM Buddy Nix and his front office staff have already faced questions on the heels of their first draft class. Nix, however, in an appearance on Double-X 1090 radio in San Diego Thursday, shed some light as to how the organization felt and still feels about their quarterback situation.

The Bills were criticized up and down by the so called draft experts for not taking a quarterback early in the draft. Buffalo did select Troy’s Levi Brown in round seven. Faced with several other needs for their football team Nix, Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak and head coach Chan Gailey viewed the quarterback position as one that was already manned by players every bit as capable as the top prospects in the draft.

“Here’s the way we looked at it,” said Nix. “We’ve got guys physically that can do anything as well as anybody in the draft physically. Throw the ball well, make all the throws, mobile, can move around and are smart. We’ve got guys like that. Now obviously they’ve been kind of inconsistent and up and down, but there are a lot of reasons for that.”

Nix pointed to all of the turmoil to Buffalo’s roster and coaching staff just before the regular season began as well as the myriad of injuries that befell the offensive line.

“The offensive coordinator getting fired two weeks before the season starts, your left tackle is cut with a week to go before the first game,” said Nix. “Alex Van Pelt is one of my favorite people and he’s a good football coach, but he was a guy that had not been a coordinator or called plays or coached quarterbacks and he was forced to do all three… within a week. It was formula for disaster and a lot of it (the quarterback) couldn’t control, but it all happened. Everybody wants to put it on the quarterback and try to make a change.

“The point I’m trying to make is that those guys that are in the draft we see them do all those things, but we don’t know how they’re going to handle adversity in the NFL. We’ve got three that are here that are the same way. So why not see if they can do it? That was our thinking.”

There’s little question that the changes at left tackle and offensive coordinator right before the season put more pressure on Trent Edwards and later Ryan Fitzpatrick to hold things together. Quarterbacks however, are dependent upon several other players in effectively executing their responsibilities.

In no way did Nix indicate that the quarterbacks were blameless, but it’s clear that what he and Gailey saw in their review of the 2009 game film convinced them that Buffalo’s quarterbacks were asked to perform in circumstances that were far from ideal.

With a proven offensive mind like Gailey, the addition of a multi-dimensional game breaking threat in C.J. Spiller, some offensive line depth in Ed Wang and Kyle Calloway and some promising defensive linemen in Torell Troup and Alex Carrington, the Bills believe they can create a better environment in which the veteran quarterbacks on the roster can perform.

---------

It' not shocking that many 2011 mock draft's have the Bills with the first overall selection.

Xenos
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Even more spin from the Bills front office.

In an offseason that has required a lot of planning, hard work and patience, Bills GM Buddy Nix and his front office staff have already faced questions on the heels of their first draft class. Nix, however, in an appearance on Double-X 1090 radio in San Diego Thursday, shed some light as to how the organization felt and still feels about their quarterback situation.

The Bills were criticized up and down by the so called draft experts for not taking a quarterback early in the draft. Buffalo did select Troy’s Levi Brown in round seven. Faced with several other needs for their football team Nix, Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak and head coach Chan Gailey viewed the quarterback position as one that was already manned by players every bit as capable as the top prospects in the draft.

“Here’s the way we looked at it,” said Nix. “We’ve got guys physically that can do anything as well as anybody in the draft physically. Throw the ball well, make all the throws, mobile, can move around and are smart. We’ve got guys like that. Now obviously they’ve been kind of inconsistent and up and down, but there are a lot of reasons for that.”

Nix pointed to all of the turmoil to Buffalo’s roster and coaching staff just before the regular season began as well as the myriad of injuries that befell the offensive line.

“The offensive coordinator getting fired two weeks before the season starts, your left tackle is cut with a week to go before the first game,” said Nix. “Alex Van Pelt is one of my favorite people and he’s a good football coach, but he was a guy that had not been a coordinator or called plays or coached quarterbacks and he was forced to do all three… within a week. It was formula for disaster and a lot of it (the quarterback) couldn’t control, but it all happened. Everybody wants to put it on the quarterback and try to make a change.

“The point I’m trying to make is that those guys that are in the draft we see them do all those things, but we don’t know how they’re going to handle adversity in the NFL. We’ve got three that are here that are the same way. So why not see if they can do it? That was our thinking.”

There’s little question that the changes at left tackle and offensive coordinator right before the season put more pressure on Trent Edwards and later Ryan Fitzpatrick to hold things together. Quarterbacks however, are dependent upon several other players in effectively executing their responsibilities.

In no way did Nix indicate that the quarterbacks were blameless, but it’s clear that what he and Gailey saw in their review of the 2009 game film convinced them that Buffalo’s quarterbacks were asked to perform in circumstances that were far from ideal.

With a proven offensive mind like Gailey, the addition of a multi-dimensional game breaking threat in C.J. Spiller, some offensive line depth in Ed Wang and Kyle Calloway and some promising defensive linemen in Torell Troup and Alex Carrington, the Bills believe they can create a better environment in which the veteran quarterbacks on the roster can perform.

---------

It' not shocking that many 2011 mock draft's have the Bills with the first overall selection.

Who knows. Maybe Nix feels that Edwards is the next Drew Brees in jumping from mediocrity to pro bowler if everything else is corrected. He witnessed it happen in 2002-2004.

theAPAOps5
04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
What makes you think Tebow is better than Edwards

Tebow hasn't played a down in the NFL and Edwards is starting in the NFL

Starting in the NFL isn't exactly affirmation that you are good. I mean look Cutler starts in the NFL.