PDA

View Full Version : If Hillis was a five tool player what is Tebow?

baja
04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
1. passer

2. runner

3. reciever

4. blocker

5. linebacker

what else???

UberBroncoMan
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Tebow is all. He's even the 12th man.

TheReverend
04-29-2010, 10:49 AM
The whole ****ing box

TheReverend
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Also... it seems with #5 you've confused Hillis with Larsen

s0phr0syne
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Hmmm, well realistically, He can play:

safety
outside linebacker
pastor
running back
fullback
h-back
tightend
priest
wide receiver
inside linebacker
healer
kicker

UberBroncoMan
04-29-2010, 10:51 AM

safety
outside linebacker
pastor
running back
fullback
h-back
tightend
priest
wide receiver
inside linebacker
healer
kicker

Don't forget team surgeon, as we've learned in the Ryan Clady surgery thread.

PRBronco
04-29-2010, 10:51 AM
A ****ing swiss army knife?

baja
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
he can kick too ???

Rohirrim
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I want my own Tebow thread.

baja
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.aonetools.co.uk/images/Festool-MFT-3-Multifunction.jpg

baja
04-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I want my own Tebow thread.

Oh take one of mine I have about five of them.

s0phr0syne
04-29-2010, 11:01 AM
he can kick too ???

Using McX's drafting rationale, he's got all the physical traits and motivation, so I mean everything else is just a matter of fine-tuning to some extent, right?? I mean that's how Tebow is presumably being projected as Denver's QBOTF.

According to posters here, 3 weeks ---> new throwing motion fix

Some kicking lessons through TC, we've got a better version of Stephen Fatsis.

hookemhess
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
The tool shed.

Beantown Bronco
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
How is he at pickup basketball?

TheReverend
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Using McX's drafting rationale, he's got all the physical traits and motivation, so I mean everything else is just a matter of fine-tuning to some extent, right?? I mean that's how Tebow is presumably being projected as Denver's QBOTF.

According to posters here, 3 weeks ---> new throwing motion fix

Some kicking lessons through TC, we've got a better version of Stephen Fatsis.

He's pretty much already got that fixed from the developments he made from the senior bowl to his pro day.

The real issue is making that instinctual. Forcing that motion down his throat so much that when he's under pressure, he doesn't regress.

Pseudofool
04-29-2010, 11:24 AM
One tool. He's a quarterback.

WolfpackGuy
04-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Does his bat have any pop or is he strictly a high average hitter?

DenverBrit
04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.gadgetgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/swiss-army-knife-complete-tools.jpg

montrose
04-29-2010, 11:44 AM
How dare you even compare Tebow to the great Hillis! Ha!

He's pretty much already got that fixed from the developments he made from the senior bowl to his pro day.

The real issue is making that instinctual. Forcing that motion down his throat so much that when he's under pressure, he doesn't regress.

Hey Rev, based on what you've seen of Tebow - how would you compare his arm to that of Orton, Quinn and Brandstater in terms of strength, accuracy and release speed (assuming his new motion becomes his normal one).

TonyR
04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Out of curiousity, what are Hillis' 5 tools? I keep hearing he's a 5 tool player from a few people here but have never known what those 5 tools are?
1) Running
2) Blocking
3) Receiving
4) Special teams?
5) Creating false hope amongst delusional Broncos fans?

montrose
04-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Out of curiousity, what are Hillis' 5 tools? I keep hearing he's a 5 tool player from a few people here but have never known what those 5 tools are?
1) Running
2) Blocking
3) Receiving
4) Special teams?
5) Creating false hope amongst delusional Broncos fans?

And considering he wasn't the greatest blocker and did more harm than good to the ST unit through his fumble and penalties - can we even count those?

TheReverend
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
How dare you even compare Tebow to the great Hillis! Ha!

Hey Rev, based on what you've seen of Tebow - how would you compare his arm to that of Orton, Quinn and Brandstater in terms of strength, accuracy and release speed (assuming his new motion becomes his normal one).

I haven't seen enough of Brandstater to say anything other than he looked alright last pre-season and I've read good things about his arm, so I'll leave him out.

Quinn has a legit NFL arm in strength and accuracy and he's smart. We'll see how much of his woes were supporting cast related or not soon. I honestly love Orton's touch. My main complaint about Cutler (outside of his penchant to not see LBs dropped in passing lanes) was his habit of gunning it to RBs swinging into the flat, so Kyle has him nailed there. Unfortunately, I think Kyle's arm strength issues are compounded with his lack of confidence in his deep ball.

Tim's different, to say the least... He definitely CAN have the strongest arm in the bunch, he just has an awkward wind up (it's a ridiculously big wind up which has caused the "slow release" scouting complaints, etc) and he kinda flails his body into it too. It's really funny how he's managed to make it work for him honestly.

Exhibit A (April last year):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpByl518m3o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpByl518m3o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now watch the improvement:

Exhibit B (Pre Combine... massive progress):

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z8RvDD1FLw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z8RvDD1FLw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Exhibit C (pro day)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EO78QG2ag4g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EO78QG2ag4g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Exhibit D (pro day w/presser audio showing he understands what his issues are AND what he needs to do)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fdRzXzBG0Fg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fdRzXzBG0Fg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

----------

Look at the massive improvement in a short period of time. He's also getting a lot more snap out of the ball. This isn't even including how he's been working on this several hours a day even since his pro-day.

It's literally impossible to stack his arm/throwing motion/strength against our current QBs because it's under a massive make-over. I can tell you that Gators Tebow was effective despite a decent quantity of ducks, but it's certainly not good enough for Broncos Tebow. He needs reps en masse until it becomes sheer instinct. Fortunately, we got the guy who will put the volume of work in where it's more than likely that it's already instinctual.

To answer your question as best as possible: At his pro day I'd say his arm was in between Orton and Quinn. I don't know where his "arm strength" ceiling is. Not sure how much I care. I know he has the balls to scare DBs with it... and I hope that's his first play as an NFL QB... one 5 step drop and just gun it as far downfield as he can, even if it's 10 yards off the mark, the strength and distance will absolutely be enough to make corners second guess jumping routes.

What we know for a fact about him:

Teams will play contain/spy against him... that frees up SOOOO much for our perimeter players.

He's willing and able to go deep

Can turn broken plays into a new set of downs

Fast learner, works hard and can QUICKLY implement what he's been coached.

TonyR
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Can turn broken plays into a new set of downs

To me this could be potentially huge, particularly if he's able to be an effective drop back passer as well. Remember the play last year where McNabb had nobody open and killed us with that 20 yard scamper? And he's a guy who's reluctant to run. That has to be demoralizing to a defense, you shut down the pass but give up a 20 yard play. And I think Tebow, if his arm is respected, could make teams pay with his legs 3-4 times a game. And that's being conservative. I don't want running to be his primary or first option, but the ability and the threat of it could be huge for this team. Big enough where you can force a LB or S to have primary responsibility for him on almost every play.

TheReverend
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
To me this could be potentially huge, particularly if he's able to be an effective drop back passer as well. Remember the play last year where McNabb had nobody open and killed us with that 20 yard scamper? And he's a guy who's reluctant to run. That has to be demoralizing to a defense, you shut down the pass but give up a 20 yard play. And I think Tebow, if his arm is respected, could make teams pay with his legs 3-4 times a game. And that's being conservative. I don't want running to be his primary or first option, but the ability and the threat of it could be huge for this team. Big enough where you can force a LB or S to have primary responsibility for him on almost every play.

We have Tebow. We have to use Tebow.

Playing Tebow has the same effect as the Wildcat offense, only with more respect to the pass.

OBF1
04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Tebow is the Home Depot of tools.

Mogulseeker
04-29-2010, 01:17 PM

safety
outside linebacker
pastor
running back
fullback
h-back
tightend
priest
wide receiver
inside linebacker
healer
kicker

Referee
Head Coach
Admiral
Rhode Scholar
Navy Seal

Beantown Bronco
04-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Tebow is the Home Depot of tools.

There's a reason Home Depot's official color is orange.

OBF1
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM

Thread over, thank you for shopping at Tebow's :thumbs:

baja
04-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Plummer only had asile 11

Tebow is the whole store including curtains for other teams....

Eldorado
04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
1. passer

2. runner

3. reciever

4. blocker

5. linebacker

what else???

Some rookie who has never played a down? :ouwknow:

Circle Orange
05-02-2010, 09:05 AM
hype is one thing, production on the field another.

This year has been extremely weird for qbs in the draft. I would have felt more comfortable if Tebow had gone in the second or third round, then he could be brought along reasonably without all the "first round" expectation nonsense.

I think he has good tools, and is an all around athlete. I don't think he's exceptional in any one area (all the posted intangibles aside).

Orton is a stopgap, I think everyone knows it. But while everyone babbles about Tebow's intangibles, I've noticed one from Quinn not seen since Elway. That "eyes in the back of his head". I noticed it in a Cleveland game and thought, "hmm." Onrushing linebacker from blindside, Quinn didn't even seem to pivot his head much, sensed the guy and got out of the pocket. It happened repeatedly.

Just sayin.' I don't think Tebow wins anything by default, despite Macky D's NFL PROMOTIONAL SPIN. This summer camp should be exciting for the fans.

UberBroncoMan
05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
We have Tebow. We have to use Tebow.

Playing Tebow has the same effect as the Wildcat offense, only with more respect to the pass.

Basically it's a slower Michael Vick who has the ability to throw the ball more accurately and has a far greater work ethic. This will be very interesting... especially when it comes to fan votes for the Pro Bowl and OROTY.

baja
05-02-2010, 11:25 AM
If you listen to Josh's rookie camp presser on the Broncos site it sure sounds like he is very open to playing and maybe even starting Tebow. Very revealing if you listen to what he is implying.

Circle Orange
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Basically it's a slower Michael Vick who has the ability to throw the ball more accurately and has a far greater work ethic. This will be very interesting... especially when it comes to fan votes for the Pro Bowl and OROTY.

yeah, totally different body type. People forget how small Vick really is. I remember seeing him stand next to Dan Reeves and he was barely the same height. With his build he should be fast (now, not so much)

Tebow runs with much more power and durability. Less wiggle, more trample.

FireFly
05-03-2010, 01:01 AM

No. Pretty sure he is already OROTY.

8')