PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn on the way out??

Ramathorn
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Quinn the odd man out?
8:39
AM ETBrady Quinn | Broncos Top Email Whether or not the Denver Broncos made a smart decision in trading some draft picks to move up to grab Tim Tebow, it leaves the team with somewhat of a surplus at the QB position. Kyle Orton is likely penciled in as the starter, while Tebow, Brady Quinn and Tom Brandstater sit behind him.

Regarding this crowd, Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports wrote recently that it would appear that Quinn is suddenly the odd man out. Robinson notes that in order to properly develop, Tebow will have to get snaps in practice, and most No. 3 QBs don't get too many snaps in practice. Robinson also points out that the Broncos acquired Quinn for very little -- Peyton Hillis, who was rumored to be on the verge of being cut anyway, and late-round picks in 2011 and 2012 -- but invested a great deal in Tebow.

If Quinn is released soon, we know a certain team in Western New York that might be interested, and we also have a feeling that his former college coach, Charlie Weis, might show some interest in bringing him in as a backup to Matt Cassel for the Kansas City Chiefs.

from espn insider

Ramathorn
04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Clady replacement options

11:52AM ET
Ryan Clady | Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den)

Top (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/#TOP) Email (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/#)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nfl/players/65/11246.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11246) We learned on Wednesday night that Ryan Clady (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11246)'s patellar tendon was only partially torn -- according to the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14976271) -- which gives him a better shot at returning in three months, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reports Clady's been telling people. ESPN sports injury expert Stephania Bell told our AFC West blogger Bill Williamson that the timeline we've been hearing (three to four months) "may be optimistic," and that even after his return, he won't be fully recovered yet.
The loss of one of the league's elite left tackles will strike a devastating blow to the Denver Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den)' offensive line, but there are some options available, albeit none nearly as good as Clady. Flozell Adams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1469) was released a while back, and still hasn't landed with a new team. It would make sense for the Broncos to at least have him in for a workout. But there are other non-Bronco options as well, and both of them were restricted free agents this offseason. The first is Jared Gaither (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10705), who the Baltimore Ravens (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bal) were open to trading before and during the draft. The second is Jammal Brown (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8428), and we touched on that situation on Wednesday (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?date=20100428#4739). The problem with acquiring Gaither or Brown is that they would likely want a long-term extension, and that wouldn't make too much sense, given the fact that Clady will be back eventually.
The other option is to promote from within. Second-round pick Zane Beadles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13261) is expected to compete to play RT for the Broncos this season, and it's possible they slide 2009's RT, Ryan Harris (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10514), over to LT. Certainly not an ideal situation, but one that the team might have to explore.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/RC/football_outsiders_64x36.jpg Football Outsiders

Devastating loss
"If this is confirmed -- and it appears to be -- it's catastrophic for Denver fans. Clady is one of the league's most valuable properties, an elite left tackle playing on a rookie contract, and the most important player the Broncos had on offense, even before the Brandon Marshall (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9705) deal. Barring a miracle, Clady will be out for the year; about the best the Broncos can hope for would be a long stay on the Physically Unable to Perform list and a return in late October. The injury also has deleterious long-term effects on performance and has a good chance of reoccurrence. The injury will force the Broncos to change their entire offensive scheme, keeping tight ends and running backs in to block far more frequently, and place even more pressure on a group of wide receivers that are alternately inexperienced or over-the-hill." - Bill Barnwell

mizzoutigers
04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Like your posts man, much better than the crap most of these people put on here

jhns
04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Robinson also points out that the Broncos acquired Quinn for very little -- Peyton Hillis,

Blasphemy.

Ramathorn
04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Like your posts man, much better than the crap most of these people put on here

Thanks. Hope that was genuine and not a slam that i didnt understand. LOL

mizzoutigers
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks. Hope that was genuine and not a slam that i didnt understand. LOL

I'm being serious, just look at the crap started right now in the discussion: magic tricks, need some advice from OM, bootleg jerseys, things I've learned from OM, best numbers. who gives a **** about any of that. you post good info from around the league.

Ramathorn
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm being serious, just look at the crap started right now in the discussion: magic tricks, need some advice from OM, bootleg jerseys, things I've learned from OM, best numbers. who gives a **** about any of that. you post good info from around the league.

Thats what happens when you dont have a job and go to school at night. Just troll the internet for interesting broncos tidbits!:strong:

i DID start a tim tebow tshirt thread, so i probably lost points there with some. haha

TonyR
04-29-2010, 09:48 AM
The injury also has deleterious long-term effects on performance and has a good chance of reoccurrence.

Yuck.

UberBroncoMan
04-29-2010, 09:49 AM
If Kevin O'Connell can get traded for some picks we sure as hell can do the same with Brady Quinn for the Bills.

UberBroncoMan
04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Yuck.

Imagine that. Super Star LT's career ruined at age 23 due to pickup game of basketball.

Dendave
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
The other option is to promote from within.

This

or see if George Foster is available

PRBronco
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Jesus, football outsiders is determined to have me take my own life. For every article that says "it was a 50% tear and you're looking at 3 to 4 month's recovery" they're like "hey PRBronco, here's a bottle of Jack, a razor, and a Staind CD".

Rohirrim
04-29-2010, 09:56 AM
We should hang on to Quinn and let him play some quarters in pre-season and then wait for some desperate team to call up and make a deal.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah, thats a pretty dramatic take. And the Quinn portion is 100 percent speculation.

supermanhr9
04-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Good Thread, makes sense to me.

BlaK-Argentina
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Imagine that. Super Star LT's career ruined at age 23 due to pickup game of basketball.

Don't even joke about that. That could be a disaster of epic proportions.

TonyR
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM

I really hope that Football Outsiders take was written before finding out it was a partial tear as opposed to a full tear. OP, was there a date/time stamp on it?

TD30
04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Quinn will be the starting Qb for the Broncos by the end of the season...

Florida_Bronco
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Quinn is not going to be going anywhere.

Houshyamama
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't even joke about that. That could be a disaster of epic proportions.

IMO, it would be the worst thing that happened to this franchise since TD got injured.

Drek
04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Quinn is the buffer between Orton and Tebow. He'll be retained (unless Brandstater beats him out) even if he doesn't start because we don't want to be one Orton injury away from having to play Tebow full time in year one.

Josh will get Tebow more than enough reps. Hell, Tebow could run the scout team while doing that because its more about his mechanics than anything else, which can be corrected in that kind of setting. That'll also give him a wide array of systems to look at over the course of the year letting us see what parts of our opponents offense he does best in (the times in practice he tears our own defense up).

There are a lot of options on how to get guys reps. McDaniels will find a way to manage it.

elsid13
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
If the McDaniels plans to use Tebow at all during a game, it means by rule he already the 2nd string QB. So that leaves Quinn and Brandstater in the emergency QB role on game-day.

At this point might as well trade Orton, start Quinn and have packages for Tebow, if that future McDaniels wants.

Rabb
04-29-2010, 01:37 PM
no way, Orton will be so much more tradable than anyone else after this season it isn't going to be funny...watch

PRBronco
04-29-2010, 01:39 PM
If the McDaniels plans to use Tebow at all during a game, it means by rule he already the 2nd string QB. So that leaves Quinn and Brandstater in the emergency QB role on game-day.

At this point might as well trade Orton, start Quinn and have packages for Tebow, if that future McDaniels wants.

Oh yeah I forgot about that rule. Still, if Quinn pans out and proves to be just as serviceable as Orton (I'm keeping my expectations low for both, but I don't think either one of them sucks by any means) it's not a problem, as ESPN seems to wish it was. Neither of them makes so much money that we HAVE to move one right away, it just makes good trade bait, like Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck...Matt Cassell. Wait wtf is going on here? I just noticed that as I was typing it. Maybe we should bring back Matt Mauck?

Borks147
04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Maybe we should bring back Matt Mauck?

the dentist?

Mogulseeker
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Maybe we can get Hillis back...

PRBronco
04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
the dentist?

Got it! I googled him just now, couldn't find a dental practice under his name, might still be in dental school, how long does that take?

Also interesting fact I noticed when I googled him, he only got a 14 on the wonderlic. Something to keep in mind for the people who seem to view the wonderlic as a general smartness test.

bowtown
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.canpages.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/dentist-mask.jpg

bowtown
04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Got it! I googled him just now, couldn't find a dental practice under his name, might still be in dental school, how long does that take?

Also interesting fact I noticed when I googled him, he only got a 14 on the wonderlic. Something to keep in mind for the people who seem to view the wonderlic as a general smartness test.

I think he's still probably running the dental practice squad somewhere.

elsid13
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
I think he's still probably running the dental practice squad somewhere.

He is in Green Bay as the #2 QB

Edit looks like he out of the league now. And Wiki says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Mauck#After_football
Mauck currently is enrolled at the University of Colorado School of Dentistry.

bfoflcommish
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

do you know the meaning of, "off-season"?

ghwk
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Let's see, who was it that posted the Dez Bryants momma was a protitute thread? Oh yeah, it was you. :rofl:

Durango
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
It's so puzzling to me why McDaniels traded for Quinn while contemplating a way to manuever the draft to get Tebow on board, unless he had a plan to downsize through the trade or release of either Orton or Brandstater. From what I read here, Brandstater has earned some fans and he certainly has shown some promise. Just by deductive reasoning, you might conclude that the Broncos will try to move Orton at some point. Carrying four QB's seems kind of silly and I'm not so sure Brandstater could clear waivers to make it to the practice squad. It's a quandary of McDaniels own making. No matter what move he makes in the end, it will be a waste of Bronco resources and the loss of a talent or promising prospect along with draft choices.

Beantown Bronco
04-29-2010, 02:06 PM
It's so puzzling to me why McDaniels traded for Quinn while contemplating a way to manuever the draft to get Tebow on board, unless he had a plan to downsize through the trade or release of either Orton or Brandstater. From what I read here, Brandstater has earned some fans and he certainly has shown some promise. Just by deductive reasoning, you might conclude that the Broncos will try to move Orton at some point. Carrying four QB's seems kind of silly and I'm not so sure Brandstater could clear waivers to make it to the practice squad. It's a quandary of McDaniels own making. No matter what move he makes in the end, it will be a waste of Bronco resources and the loss of a talent or promising prospect along with draft choices.

This was discussed either yesterday or the day before. It's all but guaranteed that Brandstater will be the lucky beneficiary of a year off, courtesy of the NFL injury rules. (He'll be the guy that gets some mysterious "fake" injury in the preseason or over the summer that can't heal for a year, so he'll be stashed on IR.)

Bronco Yoda
04-29-2010, 02:14 PM

I'm thinking that McD wasn't always contemplating this. From everything I've seen and read, Tebow blew him away with his interviews.

Kaylore
04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
The Broncos are looking to trade a player to recoup their fifth round pick. It would not shock me if that player was Quinn.

Triplelefthook
04-29-2010, 02:17 PM

I don't get this at all. In Philly they used Michael Vick in special packages and it was pretty clear that he was still the #3 QB behind McNabb #1 and Colb #2. Once McNabb went down it was Colb in as the starter with Vick still being the QB used in special packages/formations

Beantown Bronco
04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't get this at all. In Philly they used Michael Vick in special packages and it was pretty clear that he was still the #3 QB behind McNabb #1 and Colb #2. Once McNabb went down it was Colb in as the starter with Vick still being the QB used in special packages/formations

The "3rd QB rule" where you can't re-insert the #1 or #2 only applies to teams that designate 2 QBs on the active roster. The 3rd QB in those instances does not count against the 45 game day actives.

The Eagles worked around that by listing Vick within the 45 actives.

SouthStndJunkie
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
It would be stupid to release Brady Quinn before you see what he can do through training camp in this offense.

If you get through training camp and it looks like he is the odd man out, then worry about.

By then some teams will be in need of a QB and he might have some trade value if you decide he does not fit into the team's plan.

elsid13
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM

They must of activated all 3 QB on 45 game day roster, and lost a roster spot somewhere else.

Durango
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
This was discussed either yesterday or the day before. It's all but guaranteed that Brandstater will be the lucky beneficiary of a year off, courtesy of the NFL injury rules. (He'll be the guy that gets some mysterious "fake" injury in the preseason or over the summer that can't heal for a year, so he'll be stashed on IR.)

Well now, that's a plan I hadn't considered. I am assuming there's a way to get away with this. While I'm sure the NFL is aware this goes on, I would imagine they frown on the practice.

Triplelefthook
04-29-2010, 02:27 PM
They must of activated all 3 QB on 45 game day roster, and lost a roster spot somewhere else.

Gotcha thanks (and thanks Beantown Bronco also) for the explanation

Mogulseeker
04-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Brandstatter has thrown like 4 preseason passes and all of them lacked accuracy.

PRBronco
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Brandstatter has thrown like 4 preseason passes and all of them lacked accuracy.

Yeah but Josina said someone said anonymously that he was good.

DenverBrit
04-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Feel free to post last weeks NFL results.

Maybe you could add a thread or two about other player's mothers.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Which is I'm sure what you'll see Denver do this season.

Neither Tebow or Brandstater are ready to be a #2 QB.

Quinn is still the true backup, and Tebow will be used in special packages. Brandstater will be traded before the final cutdown.

tsiguy96
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
personally i hope we cut him. brandstater i think has a higher ceiling than we give him credit for.

Ugly Duck
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
The injury also has deleterious long-term effects on performance and has a good chance of re-occurrence.

Harsh. I don't even wish that on a Bronco player.

elsid13
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Quinn is still the true backup, and Tebow will be used in special packages. Brandstater will be traded before the final cutdown.

That just means we are going to loss a spot for a player that can be used on ST or Defense.

BroncoInferno
04-29-2010, 03:13 PM
The Broncos are looking to trade a player to recoup their fifth round pick. It would not shock me if that player was Quinn.

They are not getting a 5th for Quinn. We barely gave up a ham sandwhich, and there is no reason to suspect the market is any different now. Honestly, if anyone goes, I think it would be Orton. We could probably get a 5th for him once someone loses a guy to injury or see that their other options suck. This, of course, would depend on how good the other three look, but they all probably have greater upside than Orton.

Of course, there is always IR to stash somewone away on.

BroncoInferno
04-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Who is going to give up anything for Brandstater at this point? I know Green Bay was able to get picks for Favre's backups who never got on the field (Brunell, Hasselback, Brooks), but those guys had been around longer than a year.

Kaylore
04-29-2010, 03:41 PM

No they didn't. They were all very accurate. And he played quite a bit.

Drek
04-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Just cut Brandstater and stash him on the PS. No team is going to come sniffing around a 26 year old 2nd year QB out of Fresno State.

Any team desperate enough to do that will have picked up the Gus Ferrotte/Vinny Testaverde/Mark Brunnell phone long before.

Mogulseeker
04-29-2010, 03:59 PM
No they didn't. They were all very accurate. And he played quite a bit.

Brandstatter doesn't have a very pretty pass.

bronco militia
04-29-2010, 04:02 PM

maybe you should try watching the pre-season before commenting

ZONA
04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
All 4 guys could be on the team. Josh said on NFL Network last night that they did that once with NE and that they just had to be smart in getting all 4 guys reps. He said it's not easy but it can be done.

Take that for what it's worth.

Mogulseeker
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM

I have season tickets.

He completed a few passes against primarily second and third team defenders.

I was at the AZ game that he played a lot in. I wasn't impressed. He under-threw receivers and didn't have a great pocket presence.

Good for a 6th round pick and a solid backup. Definitely not a franchise QB.

Bronco Yoda
04-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Me thinks Brandstater will be gone either by cut, trade(wishful thinking) or practice squad grab.

eddie mac
04-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Lombardi reckons Quinn will get a chance to start this season so that's a far cry from him being the odd man out.

broncosteven
04-29-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree, why bother siging Orton, just let him go. Why take all those reps from both your starter and QBOTF unless QBOTF is in formation at the same time as starter.

Orton played well at times last year but I don't think Quinn would be that big a drop off, it is clear Tebow is going to be the eventual starter being picked that high.

dsmoot
04-29-2010, 08:21 PM

If its McD's plan, he isn't in a quandry about it. Just waiting for the right timing.

dsmoot
04-29-2010, 08:25 PM

I too thought he did quite respectable for someone who wasn't going to figure into the equation into 2009.

FireFly
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I just can't credit the idea that we would keep brandstater over Quinn

bronco militia
04-29-2010, 08:46 PM
I have season tickets.

I was at the AZ game that he played a lot in. . He under-threw receivers and didn't have a great pocket presence. I wasn't impressed

I have season tickets too ...BFD

I wasn't impressed

you're the only one

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM
There will be a QB cut at the end of training camp and whichever QB is most expendable will be gone. If the Broncos keep Brandstatter over either Orton or Quinn, that will be a serious indication of just how much the Broncos respect his upside.

BroncoBuff
04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
If the Broncos keep Brandstatter over either Orton or Quinn, that will be a serious indication of just how much the Broncos respect his upside.

Brandstater is an easy call for the practice squad, but that's about it. His stats were a bit better than Smurf thought though. In three 2009 pre-season games:

T. Brandstater - 46/26 - 56.5% - 298 - 6.5 - 0 td, 2 int - 58.1 rating

Worse stat though, Brandstater went down on 6 of the 7 sacks we gave up.

I don't think Quinn is going anywhere this year, but I'm glad to hear some realistic thinking about him around here. I've said a few times, logic just seems to strongly dictate he's a bust. Browns give up a king's ransom to Dallas to make him the hometown golden boy ... then three years later swap him for a backup fullback and a couple of late picks? At about the same time they give up Anderson? I think that means they're pretty sure he's not the guy. And now Josh drafts a QB in round one, mere weeks after trading for Quinn.

He could be the backup, though, even long term. His salary is manageable, he knows the offense, and he can't be much worse than Simms, Van Pelt, Mauck or Kanell.

tsiguy96
04-29-2010, 10:27 PM
I have season tickets.

I was at the AZ game that he played a lot in. I wasn't impressed. He under-threw receivers and didn't have a great pocket presence.

the AZ game is the game where starters play into the third quarter. tom played against AZ #1 defense for a good portion of the game, and played very well at that. showed glimpses of being really good, and hell even adam schefter supported that statement just a few weeks ago.

BroncoBuff
04-29-2010, 10:44 PM
the AZ game is the game where starters play into the third quarter. tom played against AZ #1 defense for a good portion of the game, and played very well at that. showed glimpses of being really good, and hell even adam schefter supported that statement just a few weeks ago.

Come on, tsi ... look what's happened: First we trade for one quarterback, then draft another in the first round. And that's without even mentioning our current starter. I'm pretty sure Tom's upside is very much in question.

tsiguy96
04-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Come on, tsi ... look what's happened: First we trade for one quarterback, then draft another in the first round. And that's without even mentioning our current starter. I'm pretty sure Tom's upside is very much in question.

hey i still like him and want to see what he can do. i dont work with him everyday or know him personally like the coaches so my opinion literally means ****, but doesnt change it right now. if they cut him, i think its a pretty good indicator that he has limited upside.

elsid13
04-30-2010, 02:24 AM

AZ didn't play it starters into the 3rd, and they didn't game play either. Drawing a conclusion on the 4th preseason game can not be done either way. Right now all he shown is that he make an active roster in NFL.

ZONA
04-30-2010, 03:42 AM
There will be a QB cut at the end of training camp and whichever QB is most expendable will be gone. If the Broncos keep Brandstatter over either Orton or Quinn, that will be a serious indication of just how much the Broncos respect his upside.

Don't be so sure about it. You really don't know nor do any of is. McD already said the Pats kept 4 once when he was there and he was responsible for getting all of them reps and he managed it and said he could do it again. Sure that extra roster spot is valuable but so is developing these young QB's (Quinn & Brandstater), who could turn into some decent picks in the coming years. I don't think Orton is going anywhere quite yet. I could see the Broncos easily keeping all 4 this one time. I think Orton could be the one gone next year, unless he plays abosolutely lights out this year.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Don't be so sure about it. You really don't know nor do any of is. McD already said the Pats kept 4 once when he was there and he was responsible for getting all of them reps and he managed it and said he could do it again. Sure that extra roster spot is valuable but so is developing these young QB's (Quinn & Brandstater), who could turn into some decent picks in the coming years. I don't think Orton is going anywhere quite yet. I could see the Broncos easily keeping all 4 this one time. I think Orton could be the one gone next year, unless he plays abosolutely lights out this year.

We would be fools to keep 4 QB's.

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 07:01 AM
We would be fools to keep 4 QB's.

Brandstater on the PS, and Tebow activated as a RB (assuming he doesn't win the job outright, which is far from a foregone conclusion) solves every issue.

meangene
04-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Lombardi reckons Quinn will get a chance to start this season so that's a far cry from him being the odd man out.

I saw that too and I respect his info much more than the conjecture in the original article. With Orton scheduled to become a free agent after this season, I don't see us letting Quinn go. Unless Orton wins the job and plays lights out, I see Quinn and Tebow competing for the starting job next year with the loser of the competition becoming the backup and we let Orton walk. We can always pick up another late round QB as a third guy if we can't stash Bradstater on the PS this year.

bowtown
04-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Brandstater on the PS, and Tebow activated as a RB (assuming he doesn't win the job outright, which is far from a foregone conclusion) solves every issue.

Yep. People here overvalue players on this team. There is certainly a chance Brandstater would be poached off our PS, but it is by no means a foregone conclusion as some here seem to think.

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Yep. People here overvalue players on this team. There is certainly a chance Brandstater would be poached off our PS, but it is by no means a foregone conclusion as some here seem to think.

TC will sort this all out. There's a good chance that Orton is the inferior player out of all 4, so who knows? A month ago I liked Brady Quinn to take his job, but then came Tebow. If He could make the world in 7 days, he can take the QB job in by the first practice's water break.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 07:22 AM

That is way better then wasting a SP teams spot on a QB.

gunns
04-30-2010, 07:24 AM
I really hope that Football Outsiders take was written before finding out it was a partial tear as opposed to a full tear. OP, was there a date/time stamp on it?

That's what I was thinking. Although I want him back in a big way, I don't want it rushed. But damn........let's get whatever value we can for whomever.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm curious to see what happens with the Favre ankle thing. That jackass should have had surgery months ago. If he can't go the Vikings are toast.
If Tebow or Quinn step up in camp and preseason we might be able to move Orton for way more then he is worth.

bronco militia
04-30-2010, 09:12 AM

that was the bears game....cutler kicked our ass

TheDave
04-30-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm curious to see what happens with the Favre ankle thing. That jackass should have had surgery months ago. If he can't go the Vikings are toast.
If Tebow or Quinn step up in camp and preseason we might be able to move Orton for way more then he is worth.

Orton in a WCO... Hilarious!

Sorry but his lack of mobility would get EXPOSED big time in a West Coast type of offense.

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 09:13 AM

I'm really against dumping Orton before 2011. It's the climax of his career and he has millions and millions of FA money riding on his performance. Letting him fight to the death will only do wonders for Quinn and Tebow's growth in this system and as players.

oubronco
04-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Orton will not be shipped anywhere he is the best option to win now with Quinn as the backup

Tebow is not going to take the starting job anytime soon if ever, He is a project and if/when he learns the system then we can talk about All World Tebow till then sit back and lets see who wins the job in camp and i'm sure it won't be Tebow

Hercules Rockefeller
04-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Unless you guys actually believe that Quinn is going to come in and be a Top-10 QB right off the bat, he's not supplanting Orton, and neither is Tebow. For all the **** Orton gets here, he was still middle of the pack last year in his first year in the system.

bowtown
04-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Right now, Orton is the only QB that has proven he knows and can run McDaniels offense (how well he does it can and has been debated all day), but like it or not, the team needs him for 2011.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Orton will not be shipped anywhere he is the best option to win now with Quinn as the backup

Tebow is not going to take the starting job anytime soon if ever, He is a project and if/when he learns the system then we can talk about All World Tebow till then sit back and lets see who wins the job in camp and i'm sure it won't be Tebow

No one is safe of this team. Like I said in my previous post if Quinn or Tebow play lights out in camp and preseason there is NO reason not to try and move Orton for a pick or a player. He is gone after this season anyways. If a team like the Vikings are desperate for a vet then McD would be a ruh tard not to try and move someone that isn't in our future plans.

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Can I ask why everyone says this?

Is it solely because he "knows" the system? Because quite frankly, he's physically limited to only being able to execute a percentage of it, and he has two (maybe 3) more physically talented guys that are hard workers and will know the system fast.

SureShot
04-30-2010, 09:26 AM
TC will sort this all out. There's a good chance that Orton is the inferior player out of all 4, so who knows? A month ago I liked Brady Quinn to take his job, but then came Tebow. If He could make the world in 7 days, he can take the QB job in by the first practice's water break.

6 days dude. Even Tebow rested....once.

TheDave
04-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Is it solely because he "knows" the system? Because quite frankly, he's physically limited to only being able to execute a percentage of it, and he has two (maybe 3) more physically talented guys that are hard workers and will know the system fast.

Unfortunately, he is much more acurate than either oif the guys behind him...

I think it will take more than a year for Tebow to acquire that, and honestly I do not know if Brady Quinn is ever going to be accurate enough to succeed.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Unless you guys actually believe that Quinn is going to come in and be a Top-10 QB right off the bat, he's not supplanting Orton, and neither is Tebow. For all the **** Orton gets here, he was still middle of the pack last year in his first year in the system.

Unless you think Orton is part of the future of this team there is no reason not to move him when his value is high as long as we felt comfortable with the other QB's we have.
We have all of camp and preseason to evaluate where we are at the QB position. Favre will miss all of camp and at least some of preseason. If and I am saying with a big IF, he can't go and the Vikings suddenly are in need of a QB you wouldn't trade Orton if the team felt we could win with Quinn or Tebow?

BigPlayShay
04-30-2010, 09:27 AM
There are so many things that could happen between now and during camp. Brandstater could go to the PS, we could fake IR a player, another team with a lack of QB depth could have a guy go down. Hell, there is even the threat of a game of pick-up basketball breaking out somewhere... Having depth is not a bad thing.

oubronco
04-30-2010, 09:38 AM

Who do you think is better Tebow? ROFL!

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Unfortunately, he is much more acurate than either oif the guys behind him...

I think it will take more than a year for Tebow to acquire that, and honestly I do not know if Brady Quinn is ever going to be accurate enough to succeed.

How much of Brady Quinn's "accuracy issues" stem from supporting cast? How many errant balls were due to absolutely horrid protection breakdowns within 2 seconds of the snap? How much of it do Braylon's (and company) drops account for?

Orton's security blanket left town to Miami. We brought in two guys that are significantly more talented than him. I think he's done soon, but I want him here to fight for it.

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Who do you think is better Tebow? ROFL!

Physically and mentally? Yeah, by a ****ing mile, but so is Quinn

oubronco
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Physically and mentally? Yeah, by a ****ing mile, but so is Quinn

I love this Tebow hasn't even takin a snap in the NFL and he's already in the Pro Bowl

Let's be real here he will be lucky to be 3rd string

TheDave
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
How much of Brady Quinn's "accuracy issues" stem from supporting cast? How many errant balls were due to absolutely horrid protection breakdowns within 2 seconds of the snap? How much of it do Braylon's (and company) drops account for?

Orton's security blanket left town to Miami. We brought in two guys that are significantly more talented than him. I think he's done soon, but I want him here to fight for it.

Quinn's issues were absolutely made worse by his supporting cast in Cleveland.

On the other hand his accuracy issues were talked about back in his Notre Dame days, so I would not be surprised if they continue.

Honestly, I have no idea how Mckidd is going to work through this log jam he created. I think the real question is what offense is he trying to run. If he is still trying to make everytrhing look like it did with Tom Brady in 2007, then Orton is as close as we have on the roster (god help us). If on the other hand he is trying to move to more of a spread-option like they run at Florida, then BQ and Tebow are the way to go.

Guess were going to find out, I just think that our QB's have little if any trade value.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I love this Tebow hasn't even takin a snap in the NFL and he's already in the Pro Bowl

Tebow has been to as many Pro Bowl's as Orton has at this point.

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Who put him in the pro-bowl? I said he's physically better (there's literally NO question about this) and mentally he's better when you look at his wealth of decision making lead to crushing SEC records. So you can choose to take that however you want, but what I said is factual.

bronco_diesel
04-30-2010, 09:51 AM
If anyone gets trade, I personally think it is Orton. Last year McD was interested in Quinn, but Cleveland did not let him go. So this year he gets him on the cheap.
Orton was solid last year in the first half of the season. When things broke down he did too. Orton is simply not a guy that can make a play when there isn’t one. While his protection wasn’t the best in the 2nd half of the season, some mobility would have helped him greatly. Quinn, is a much better athlete than Orton. We don’t know yet if he is the better QB. If Quinn is at least as good, or not worse, Orton gets traded. It is clear that Orton is not the long term answer and he could be traded for something now vs. letting him go in FA for nothing.

I think we will see this sorted out in training camp, but look for Orton to be the guy going out if Quinn steps up. The only way Orton stays here is if he comes out looking like Tom Brady or Joe Montana…both who are far more mobile that he is.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Who put him in the pro-bowl? I said he's physically better (there's literally NO question about this) and mentally he's better when you look at his wealth of decision making lead to crushing SEC records. So you can choose to take that however you want, but what I said is factual.

McD gave up a 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th to get Tebow yet people think he is just going to sit on the bench in learn? McD had a plan all a long for Tebow.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Unless you think Orton is part of the future of this team there is no reason not to move him when his value is high as long as we felt comfortable with the other QB's we have.
We have all of camp and preseason to evaluate where we are at the QB position. Favre will miss all of camp and at least some of preseason. If and I am saying with a big IF, he can't go and the Vikings suddenly are in need of a QB you wouldn't trade Orton if the team felt we could win with Quinn or Tebow?

His value is high? What exactly do you think the Vikings would hypothetically give up?

Even if he's not the long-term answer, he's still more valuable to the Broncos than they'd get in any trade.

TheDave
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
If anyone gets trade, I personally think it is Orton. Last year McD was interested in Quinn, but Cleveland did not let him go. So this year he gets him on the cheap.
Orton was solid last year in the first half of the season. When things broke down he did too. Orton is simply not a guy that can make a play when there isnít one. While his protection wasnít the best in the 2nd half of the season, some mobility would have helped him greatly. Quinn, is a much better athlete than Orton. We donít know yet if he is the better QB. If Quinn is at least as good, or not worse, Orton gets traded. It is clear that Orton is not the long term answer and he could be traded for something now vs. letting him go in FA for nothing.

I think we will see this sorted out in training camp, but look for Orton to be the guy going out if Quinn steps up. The only way Orton stays here is if he comes out looking like Tom Brady or Joe MontanaÖboth who are far more mobile that he is.

I think Ryan Clady was more mobile than orton 10 minutes after his surgery...

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Orton was solid last year in the first half of the season. When things broke down he did too. Orton is simply not a guy that can make a play when there isnít one. While his protection wasnít the best in the 2nd half of the season, some mobility would have helped him greatly. Quinn, is a much better athlete than Orton. We donít know yet if he is the better QB. If Quinn is at least as good, or not worse, Orton gets traded. It is clear that Orton is not the long term answer and he could be traded for something now vs. letting him go in FA for nothing.

I think we will see this sorted out in training camp, but look for Orton to be the guy going out if Quinn steps up. The only way Orton stays here is if he comes out looking like Tom Brady or Joe MontanaÖboth who are far more mobile that he is.

That is how I see it. At the end of preseason/camp if it looks like we can win with out Orton lets trade him while his value is up. If we can't then lets keep him.

BroncoBuff
04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Guess were going to find out, I just think that our QB's have little if any trade value.

It will be interesting to see 2011 ... if Tebow is not ready, as the great majority here think, then what? If there's a market for Orton then, we might have to pay big.

TheDave
04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
It will be interesting to see 2011 ... if Tebow is not ready, as the great majority here think, then what will be the market for Orton? Will we have to pay big?

Compounding that problem is the limited reps that they are all going to get... 4 qbs splitting reps is a not the best way to give everyone some time under center.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 10:02 AM
His value is high? What exactly do you think the Vikings would hypothetically give up?

Even if he's not the long-term answer, he's still more valuable to the Broncos than they'd get in any trade.

Of course his value is high. He is coming off a career year here in Denver. His value should be higher then Jason Campbell's or at the very worst equal value to him. I disagree I think a future pick is more valuable then a guy that won't be back after this season, even more so if we can win without him. If you are the Vikings and you know that Favre isn't going to play what would stop you from trying to get Orton from us? Do you really think that team can win with Jackson or Sage? I doubt it.

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2010, 10:03 AM
The only way Orton stays here is if he comes out looking like Tom Brady or Joe MontanaÖboth who are far more mobile that he is.

all evidence to the contrary

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2009&sort=4&timeframe=ToDate

TheDave
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2009&sort=4&timeframe=ToDate

What does passing yards habve to do with mobility?

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM

Yes because we had so many other options at QB last year. He was by far and away the most talented QB on the roster last year. This year that might not be true. While I do believe his odds of remaining the starter are pretty good this year they are much, much lower then the previous season.

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
What does passing yards habve to do with mobility?

look at the rushing yards column and yds/rush column and compare him with the "consensus top 12 QBs". His mobility has become a joke here because of a handful of cases of him going down with minimal contact, but his ability to run actually compares very favorably to the other "non running" QBs out there.

Pseudofool
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
It will be interesting to see 2011 ... if Tebow is not ready, as the great majority here think, then what? If there's a market for Orton then, we might have to pay big.Isn't this precisely the reason we keep Quinn around?

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Isn't this precisely the reason we keep Quinn around?

Yup, and if there's really a market for Orton, then they could tag and trade him.

bronco_diesel
04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
look at the rushing yards column and yds/rush column and compare him with the "consensus top 12 QBs". His mobility has become a joke here because of a handful of cases of him going down with minimal contact, but his ability to run actually compares very favorably to the other "non running" QBs out there.

If I recall correctly, Orton was the least mobile when it counted most. At critical parts of the game when the protection broke down, he appeared to have concrete sneakers.

Orton is not a guy that can make a play when one is not there.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Yup, and if there's really a market for Orton, then they could tag and trade him.

I'm sure teams would be running to take our $14,651,000 tagged QB off our hands next season.

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm sure teams would be running to take our $14,651,000 tagged QB off our hands next season.

C'mon now. You're better than that. Outside of the Raiders, I don't think anyone in the history of the NFL has ever traded for a tagged player and NOT worked out a new contract. It's a given.

TheDave
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Running for your life and gaining a couple of yards does not make one mobile. Here is a perfect example of Stats not telling the story.

bowtown
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Matt Cassel says the deal is done.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
C'mon now. You're better than that. Outside of the Raiders, I don't think anyone in the history of the NFL has ever traded for a tagged player and NOT worked out a new contract. It's a given.

While that is true, I just can't help but think every other GM in the NFL would rather see us eat that much room from our cap next season.

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Running for your life and gaining a couple of yards does not make one mobile. Here is a perfect example of Stats not telling the story.

By definition, it's the opposite of the "cement sneakers" claim above.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Matt Cassel says the deal is done.

Yep it happened once so I guess it's the norm.

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
While that is true, I just can't help but think every other GM in the NFL would rather see us eat that much room from our cap next season.

According to all the reports I've read, you can pretty much bank on the fact that there will not be a salary cap in place in 2011.....if there is even football.

TheDave
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
By definition, it's the opposite of the "cement sneakers" claim above.

No it's not... over the 20+ games that I have seen both TB and KO play I would say that KO is much less mobile than TB.

Over the 50+ games I saw of montanas career... they are not even in the same league.

As far as Denver Bronco QB go... KO reminds me quite a bit of Brian Greise.

Both had "cement sneakers"

bowtown
04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
No it's not... over the 20+ games that I have seen both TB and KO play I would say that KO is much less mobile than TB.

Over the 50+ games I saw of montanas career... they are not even in the same league.

So we now have Cement Sneakers and Concrete Cyanide on the team. That's a lot of limestone.

TheDave
04-30-2010, 11:12 AM
So we now have Cement Sneakers and Concrete Cyanide on the team. That's a lot of limestone.

Hey, McKidd wanted to get bigger. ;D

BroncoBuff
04-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Yes, but my point began that based on all theses circumstances, Quinn is not a a capable starter. So 2011 would be a gap year if Orton is gone and Tebow's not ready.

The easy way around all this is to make Tebow ready. I don't see why everybody's so down on his chances to play early. If you're enthusiastic enough to love the guy in the first round, why not? Obviously he and Josh have a major connection. I'm thinking Tebow averages 6-10 downs a game on offense this year, and starts in 2011.

mizzoutigers
04-30-2010, 11:31 AM

and falls to the ground like a limp sandwich without a fight, painful to watch

tsiguy96
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM

julius peppers.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
julius peppers.

Was a FREE AGENT lol.

Drek
04-30-2010, 12:51 PM

With a McDaniels coached QB playing with the best offense of all time from the season before around him, who hadn't started a game since High School.

So no, Orton isn't a comparable player at all. Because if Orton produces the ~90 QB rating play for the duration next season that Cassel flashed for 8 games late in '08 we'll have more of a market for him.

TheReverend
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
With a McDaniels coached QB playing with the best offense of all time from the season before around him, who hadn't started a game since High School.

So no, Orton isn't a comparable player at all. Because if Orton produces the ~90 QB rating play for the duration next season that Cassel flashed for 8 games late in '08 we'll have more of a market for him.

Doubtful.

Cassel had enigma working on his side. He didn't really have any college game film and was stuck behind a healthy HoF'er in Brady. He bursts on the scene and won and intrigued every GM in the nation with a void at QB... a magnified version of Matt Schaub, in some ways

Orton can either produce massive numbers to generate that kind of interest or everyone we call will say "Lol this guy"

http://i28.tinypic.com/rvvwy8.gif

colonelbeef
04-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Doubtful.

Cassel had enigma working on his side. He didn't really have any college game film and was stuck behind a healthy HoF'er in Brady. He bursts on the scene and won and intrigued every GM in the nation with a void at QB... a magnified version of Matt Schaub, in some ways

Orton can either produce massive numbers to generate that kind of interest or everyone we call will say "Lol this guy"

http://i28.tinypic.com/rvvwy8.gif

McDaniels would never let his starting QB make such an incredibly stupid play.

Oh wait.

BroncoBuff
04-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey I was at that game.

tsiguy96
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Was a FREE AGENT lol.

not last year when he played 1 year deal for i think 17 million dollars on the franchise tag.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 02:52 PM
not last year when he played 1 year deal for i think 17 million dollars on the franchise tag.

He wasn't tagged and traded ruh tard. He was tagged and he played for the same team that tagged him. Follow along OK.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that is a damning argument if I ever seen one. Why don't you think about what Cassel did the year after he was tagged and traded. Stellar stats man!

How many teams/fans do you think are out there saying man the Chiefs sure made a good move there? Hilarious!

The odds of any other team trying what KC did are very slim.

Circle Orange
05-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Quinn will be the starting Qb for the Broncos by the end of the season...

Truthfully that's the sense I get, despite all the media hype and hysteria about Tebow. If anything, the other qbs on the roster should come into camp pissed and ready to go.

The Broncos apparently want to lead the league in good looking quarterbacks. :kiss: Except Orton, but even peaches have pits.

Other than that, MacD must ascribe to the Gruden school of signalcaller collecting. Bargaining chips for players later? We'll see.