PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Draft Final Grade

Tombstone RJ
04-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Why did Shanny have to go again? Oh yah:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13313391/regrading-2007-draft-threeyear-look-back-gives-real-picture?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer

fail

Baba Booey
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
One start in three years. Yech.

At least Harris was a solid pickup.

PRBronco
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow...Jarvis started a game!?

Durango
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Just more evidence that those early round busts have ripple effects for years to come. Then again, thinking of Robert Gallery, Michael Huff and JaMarcus Russell makes our draft efforts look like geniuses at work.

Tombstone RJ
04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Just more evidence that those early round busts have ripple effects for years to come. Then again, thinking of Robert Gallery, Michael Huff and JaMarcus Russell makes our draft efforts look like geniuses at work.

No, not really.

tsiguy96
04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Wow...Jarvis started a game!?

against indy 2 years ago when shanny rolled out 4 "pass rushers" instead of defensive tackles.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
My mantra again ... the draft is a crapshoot. To get two starters and a rotational player out of four picks, that's pretty good.

But he forgot to grade down that we gave up a pick to trade up for Moss. He shouldda graded us down a bit for that. Is that the sickest thing you ever heard? We traded UP for Jarvis Moss :oyvey:

Florida_Bronco
04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Is that the sickest thing you ever heard? We traded UP for Jarvis Moss :oyvey:

It's easy to laugh in hindsight but you have to remember that Jarvis was the 2nd best pass rusher in that draft and was a perfect fit for Bates system.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
It's easy to laugh in hindsight but you have to remember that Jarvis was the 2nd best pass rusher in that draft and was a perfect fit for Bates system.

Bates, Bates, Bates, hmmmm ... refresh my memory. Wasn't he one of the DC's in the middle there? hmmm...

spdirty
04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Bates, Bates, Bates, hmmmm ... refresh my memory. Wasn't he one of the DC's in the middle there? hmmm...

I remember this whole board gathering around and having one big circlejerk when Shanny hired Bates.

cutthemdown
04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
My mantra again ... the draft is a crapshoot. To get two starters and a rotational player out of four picks, that's pretty good.

But he forgot to grade down that we gave up a pick to trade up for Moss. He shouldda graded us down a bit for that. Is that the sickest thing you ever heard? We traded UP for Jarvis Moss :oyvey:

We traded up for Thomas also so 2 burned picks to move up.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2010, 11:13 PM
We traded up for Thomas also so 2 burned picks to move up.

At least Thomas plays ... he was 2nd on the team in sacks his rookie year.

I'm looking for MT to make a big move this year. Imo they made a mistake trying to squeeze him in at NT, even just part-time. He always seemed well suited to 3-4 DE to me, let's hope he stays there all the time now.

PRBronco
04-28-2010, 11:16 PM
At least Thomas plays ... he was 2nd on the team in sacks his rookie year.

I'm looking for MT to make a big move this year. Imo they made a mistake trying to squeeze him in at NT, even just part-time. He always seemed well suited to 3-4 DE to me, let's hope he stays there all the time now.

You're thinking of Crowder, Thomas has zero career sacks.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
You're thinking of Crowder, Thomas has zero career sacks.

That's right sorry.

But MT has an interception ... let's see Jarvis do that.

DBroncos4life
04-28-2010, 11:34 PM
All four picks are still in the NFL. That has to count for something Ha!

Florida_Bronco
04-28-2010, 11:43 PM

He was this guy who had lots of crazy ideas like having an established scheme and investing heavily in the defensive. Shanny thought that was stupid so he got rid of him in favor of some guy named Slowik, who really knew how to run a defense as it turns out.

:P

FireFly
04-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Crowder is starting for Tampa? Damn it! I knew we had something there!

Stupid previous coaches! :(

Traveler
04-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Crowder is starting for Tampa? Damn it! I knew we had something there!

Stupid previous coaches! :(

I vaguely remember the training camp reports from kaylore & the rest of the guys, saying how good Crowder looked trying to make the switch to LB.

Thought for sure he would make the team over Moss.

Ratboy
04-29-2010, 07:12 AM
That's right sorry.

Let's not forget that AWESOME backflip!

PRBronco
04-29-2010, 07:14 AM
That's right sorry.

Haha and that ensuing epic fumble that got him a death glare from Shanny.

elsid13
04-29-2010, 07:19 AM
He was this guy who had lots of crazy ideas like having an established scheme and investing heavily in the defensive. Shanny thought that was stupid so he got rid of him in favor of some guy named Slowik, who really knew how to run a defense as it turns out.

:P

Yeah he scheme worked so well that he got fired halfway through the season Twice.

TonyR
04-29-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm looking for MT to make a big move this year.

I think it's just as possible that he doesn't make the team as it is that he'll make a "big move". Hope I'm wrong but my (perhaps false) impression is that he just doesn't have what it takes to ever amount to much more than an average player.

Durango
04-29-2010, 07:35 AM
No, not really.

Yes, really. Shanahan was, in the full scope of things, about average at drafting over the years if not a little above average. He made some absolutely stupefying bad choices along with several brilliant picks; Trevor Pryce and Al Wilson., DJ Williams, Clady, Cutler, Marshall, Dumervile, Chris Kuper, on and on. I don't include Terrell Davis in that because, like Tom Brady in New England, there was more luck at work than savvy drafting.

Oakland was in the Super Bowl only a few years ago. Their drafting decisions have been so poor top to bottom that despite having top ten, and often top five picks every year, they roll out one disastrous season after another and seemingly miss on crucial top picks far more than Denver.

So, yes, really, by comparison, Shanahans' drafts look like geniuses at work.

BroncoSojia
04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
TBF a lot of the teams '07 draft didn't pan out, because frankly there wasn't that much talent after the 1st round.

Belichick went on record a while back saying there were many 4th rounder in that draft that he wouldn't touch with a 7th.

Overall it was a really shallow draft class.

Rohirrim
04-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Just shows what a crap-shoot it is.

tsiguy96
04-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Yes, really. Shanahan was, in the full scope of things, about average at drafting over the years if not a little above average. He made some absolutely stupefying bad choices along with several brilliant picks; Trevor Pryce and Al Wilson., DJ Williams, Clady, Cutler, Marshall, Dumervile, Chris Kuper, on and on. I don't include Terrell Davis in that because, like Tom Brady in New England, there was more luck at work than savvy drafting.

Oakland was in the Super Bowl only a few years ago. Their drafting decisions have been so poor top to bottom that despite having top ten, and often top five picks every year, they roll out one disastrous season after another and seemingly miss on crucial top picks far more than Denver.

most stats ive seen show shanahans player retention rate to be among the worst in the NFL over hte last decade (guys on the team that he drafted). yes he drafted some stars, but at the same time his drafts were pretty bad for years on end.

s0phr0syne
04-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I like articles that grade drafts a few years later, but wish they would post their immediate reaction grades alongside the revised ones.

Dos Rios
04-29-2010, 08:33 AM
How can He give the Vikings only a B+ for coming away with Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice?

The Broncos went into that draft with 7 picks, correct? Turning 7 picks into 4 players is a recipe for disaster.

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Shanahan had two good drafts 2006 & 2008 and a bunch of crappy drafts where he hit on a few players. In 14 years he drafted like what--100 players or so? Statistically speaking, I seriously wonder if a monkey could draft just about as many starters as Shanahan. Try throwing darts at a board with a bunch of names year after year and you could probably draft just about as well as Shanahan.

Your justifying his poor drafting by comparing it to the faiders which is sad. Having Al Davis lead your draft is worse than an monkey or throwing darts because he methodically picks bad players due to his huge ego and inability to face reality.

I like to compare Shanahan's drafts to teams that actually know what they are doing like Baltimore or Pittsburgh or Sandy Eggo. Teams that are competitive.