PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Mawae, why haven't we signed him?

Jesterhole
04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
At the very, very least, would be good depth.

From Pro Football Talk
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Veteran center Kevin Mawae became a free agent on March 5. Nearly two months later, he still doesn't have a team.

So what gives? Mawae thinks that he possibly is being held back not just by his age (39), but also by the fact that he's the president of the NFL Players Association.

"I am unemployed and hoping someone will call," Mawae told 104.5 The Zone in Nashville, via Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com. "It's kind of befuddling to me that I just came off my eighth Pro Bowl and a 16-game season and I can't get one phone call.

"Alan Faneca gets cut two days ago and yesterday he signs a contract with another team," Mawae said. "And not to take anything away from him, we have the same agent, we're friends. But something tells me that there is something going on beside me just being 39 years old.

"I've said in the past that I hope our management and the owners can look past the fact that I am president of the PA. But right now it's not looking that way. I'm looking for a job. I've made no secrets about wanting to be back here in Tennessee and I've yet to receive a call from anybody."

The problem in Tennessee is that he'd be returning as a backup, and the Titans possibly are concerned about having the new leader(s) of the offensive line undermined by a backup who'd potentially try to run the show. Then there's the issue of money; Mawae hasn't said that he's willing to take the veteran minimum. Thus, there's a chance that he wants more than what anyone is willing to offer.

Still, we're not prepared to rule out the possibility that Mawae is being blackballed. We're not sure, however, that publicly complaining about the perception helps his cause. Indeed, we think it's now less likely that a team will offer him a contract.

That said, the better approach for the union would be to elect as NFLPA president a guy who is young enough and good enough to be indispensable to his current team, and irresistible to any other. In hindsight, then, maybe Mawae's better move would have been to let Ravens cornerback Domonique Foxworth take over. And we wonder whether NFLPA Executive Director De Smith or Mawae's agent explained to the player the risk that securing a second term as NFLPA President could make him less attractive as a free agent.

Then again, Mawae likely is smart enough to figure that one out without having to be told it.

Malcontent
04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Cuz he is freaking old!

Jesterhole
04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes, but he played all 16 games last year and was in the Pro Bowl. That is worth a backup position at the very least.

ward63
04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Drafted two centers and as much as i like Mawae, he is pretty old

maher_tyler
04-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Cuz he is freaking old!

And would still be better than anything we have...could teach our young guys a few things also! Would be a decent signing imo..prolly a 1 year deal!

DBroncos4life
04-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Vet leadership might be a good thing now that Clady is done for sometime.

Jesterhole
04-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Vet leadership might be a good thing now that Clady is done for sometime.

Exactly. We just drafted a boat load of young talent. Having a guy with this resume around in training camp would be worth it alone. If he performs and wins the job, awesome. If not, he could probably sub at any of the interior positions.

scorpio
04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
old as **** cuzz

Tombstone RJ
04-28-2010, 09:11 PM
39 years old in offensive lineman years is like 80 years old in human years.

Ugly Duck
04-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Same thread on the Raider board. Same thread on the Chiefs board. Heck - you'd think none of us had a winning season....

SonOfLe-loLang
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
For those who claim he's too old, whats the friggin harm? If you dont want to rely on him fine, but they just infused the line with young talent, whats the harm in also adding a proven vet as insurance policy?

DBroncos4life
04-28-2010, 10:50 PM
I think the guy would bring the Dawkins effect to our O-line.

boltaneer
04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Mawae may have been a 'Pro-Bowler' last year but only because of name recognition.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2010, 10:54 PM
We haven't signed him because we drafted J.D. Walton.

I predict Walton will start opening day.

DBroncos4life
04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
We haven't signed him because we drafted J.D. Walton.

I predict Walton will start opening day.

Yeah I just can't wait to role out 3 first years starters on the O-line next season. I understand that we just drafted some good guys, but right now there are 3 pretty good vets out there that can help us. Even if they are just starters for a few weeks. Anyone of Adams, Mawae, or Faneca would help us deal with the change.

azbroncfan
04-28-2010, 11:11 PM
There is no point in bringing in a 1 year bandaid when your rebuilding. All it would do is take valuable snaps away from the guys we drafted. Start them and let them take their lumps and learn on the job.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
04-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Mawae may have been a 'Pro-Bowler' last year but only because of name recognition.

Perhaps so, but he was the center for an offensive line that opened up lanes for a 2,000 yard runner.

ZONA
04-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Drafted two centers and as much as i like Mawae, he is pretty old

this

eddie mac
04-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Klis (Yes I know) stated recently that he did not fit the new system McDaniels was putting in place, so either that was his personal opinion or an opinion of someone in the organisation.

Vladimir
04-29-2010, 04:02 AM
If we could get him at like 1 year at 1 - 1.5 mil it would be worth it just so he could mentor the 2 centers we just drafted.

400HZ
04-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Serves that pos right.

Steve Sewell
04-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Faneca

who?

broncosteven
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
We drafted and brought in a ton of UDFA OL depth. I would rather have a rook step up than a rent-a guy for a year.

Flex Gunmetal
04-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Serves that pos right.

?

boltaneer
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
?

I think he's referring to the 'hit' put out on Merriman by Jeff Fisher that was carried out by Mawae a couple of years ago.

Very dirty hit after the play was over that tore up Merriman's knee.

TheReverend
04-29-2010, 09:15 AM
old as **** cuzz

He'd get on Dorsey and clap them cheeks cuzz

azbroncfan
04-29-2010, 09:17 AM
I think he's referring to the 'hit' put out on Merriman by Jeff Fisher that was carried out by Mawae a couple of years ago.

Very dirty hit after the play was over that tore up Merriman's knee.

That's too bad couldn't of happened to a nicer guy. Do you have any proof Fisher put a hit out or just charger fan conspiracy theory?

WyoLaw
04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah I just can't wait to role out 3 first years starters on the O-line next season. I understand that we just drafted some good guys, but right now there are 3 pretty good vets out there that can help us. Even if they are just starters for a few weeks. Anyone of Adams, Mawae, or Faneca would help us deal with the change.

There is a 53-man roster, you cannot sign everyone.

boltaneer
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
That's too bad couldn't of happened to a nicer guy. Do you have any proof Fisher put a hit out or just charger fan conspiracy theory?

Fisher or Mawae will never admit it so you'll never get your proof. Merriman for once took the high road and downplayed it but that was all just lip service.

It happened two plays after Merriman 'bumped' into Vince Young after a handoff. The first play after the 'bump', Fisher sent his TE in motion to crackback Merriman. The TE was either too anxious or instructed to hit him beforehand, he got a penalty for a false start during the hit.

They played the Mawae hit and discussed it on NFL Network but I couldn't find a clip of it on YouTube. The two consecutive plays after the 'bump' were too coincidental, especially since one was before the play and one was after the play.

I'll say it again, I'm not a Merriman fan but stuff like that has no place in the NFL.

Cool Breeze
04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Can he play left tackle?